ADVERTISEMENT

OTZ South Dakota State Recruiting

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
So, who did the guy recruit at his last gig? I think it's illuminating to see the player he preferred. It throws some light on what he may want here or is capable of getting.

Surprisingly it's difficult to find exactly who his recruits were. Players appear on the roster who didn't appear in recruiting publications. Classes were announced, then additional unannounced players appeared. Players were announced and never appeared on a roster.

But below is a list of players OTZ signed, or announced were signing or appeared on a roster while OTZ was at SDSU. I left off his first year because it's hard for a coach to immediately sign players and they may not reflect what he's really after. I included the player, star rating and his other offers ( if any)

* not split into years * SDSU means South Dakota State *Stars are from Verbal Commits composite.

Use for entertainment purposes only. In no way do I say this list is perfect. It would take way more time that I want to give to go back and forth between all the publications to get a perfect document.

1. Owen Cogburn, 2* , SDSU, Drake, North Dakota
2. Caleb Grill, 2*, SDSU, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Bradley, Nebraska, Creighton, Kansas State,Missouri State
3. Baylor Scheirman 2*, SDSU
4. Doug Wilson, 2*, SDSU, North Dakota, Cal Poly
5. Owen King, 2*, SDSU
6. Aaron Firgen, 2*, SDSU, North Dakota State U.
7. Matthew Mimms, 2*, SDSU, North Dakota State U. ,Sioux Falls U.
8. Matt Dentlinger, 2*, SDSU
9. Alou Dillon, 2*, SDSU, Sam Houston, Milwaukee, San Francisco, Green Bay, Air Force, Wright State
10. Ryan Kreuger, 2*, SDSU, UC Davis, So. Illinois
11. David Jenkins, 3*, SDSU, San Diego, Portland, San Francisco, Boise State, Montana
12. Alex Arias, 2*, West Texas, Wright State

Some things jump out at me. He's not concerned about * ratings at all ( or he couldn't get higher rated players). He preferred recruits that didn't have many offers. If you take the time to look at their H.S. write-ups, many of the recruits are academic as well as athletic stars at smaller schools. I think he looks for "diamond in the rough" type players - for instance Jenkins was a 3* without any P5 offers. Except for Grill he didn't compete for players with P5 offers.

I think his Rebel recruiting is a step up from his SDSU recruiting. But I'm very skeptical if it's good enough to stay at or near the top of our league and get perennial NCAA bids. Very much like Boise State recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News