ADVERTISEMENT

Ot seems high in the draft for bronny

You must be super happy with UNLV since winning isn’t important.

Money is important to the owners, for sure. If that comes with winning, great, but if they don’t win and get the money, you’re right, they’re fine. Because it’s all about the money.

I don’t see any fan worried about money. No Dodger fan or Yankee fan or Celtics fans give two craps about the team salary, hell, they may whine about ticket prices and merchandise, but they still go and pay. But if they aren’t winning, that’s when they get upset.

So you approach sports from an owner/business standpoint. Fans of the sports don’t do that. They want to win.

And when you say people/fans don’t know who wins. Most don’t. Except for the die hard sports fans, which is a small percentage. … or the fans of the team that wins … it matters to them.

Not many non-UNLV fans remember we won a championship in hoops.

Do you remember when it was? Does every other fan here know when it was? Of course they do. Because that’s what matters to them.

If you’re taking a world/national/owner/business view, then not much of what matters in everyday life matters.
Its NOT my disposition_ i don't like it anymore than you do _ i am just aware of it. The beauty of sports is tainted by money. its progressively got worse over the last 30 years all because of money. Actually money kind of ruins a lot of things.

Think about high school kids being payed to play now. They just passed the NIL rule for HS sports here in Florida so all the IMG kids are getting deals and sponsors. At an age where they should be learning just basic fundamentals. NOw they have to think about " Should I pass to my team mates. What happens if it hurts my stats and effect my Sponsorship or how much I get paid if I pass instead of shoot and score." these are things kids in HS have to think about now. Kids will really get selfish and look for their own. I think they are too young to handle finance and money but.....

I can't help NOT being much of a fan these days. Its hard to be devoted to any team or franchise. Every year its a new collection of players assembled for why ? Because they got paid ? Not because they love the team the city or the coach- its different. Its harder to respect pro players than it was in the past. - They get more and more entailed. but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Its NOT my disposition_ i don't like it anymore than you do _ i am just aware of it. The beauty of sports is tainted by money. its progressively got worse over the last 30 years all because of money. Actually money kind of ruins a lot of things.

Think about high school kids being payed to play now. They just passed the NIL rule for HS sports here in Florida so all the IMG kids are getting deals and sponsors. At an age where they should be learning just basic fundamentals. NOw they have to think about " Should I pass to my team mates. What happens if it hurts my stats and effect my Sponsorship or how much I get paid if I pass instead of shoot and score." these are things kids in HS have to think about now. Kids will really get selfish and look for their own. I think they are too young to handle finance and money but.....

I can't help NOT being much of a fan these days. Its hard to be devoted to any team or franchise. Every year its a new collection of players assembled for why ? Because they got paid ? Not because they love the team the city or the coach- its different. Its harder to respect pro players than it was in the past. - They get more and more entailed. but it is what it is.
I’m aware of it too. It’s not rocket science and it’s not new. You didn’t unravel a mystery of the universe here.

My interest in pro sports nosedived a long time ago because of the things you mentioned.

College sports was a couple decades behind for me, but I feel it, have felt it. It just happened to coincide with UNLV sucking so badly in basketball. It wasn’t the reason for UNLV sucking, it was just coincidental. With all of it, it became less and less about competition and loyalty and other things that I consider to be the purity of sport … and became about business. So my interest dropped.

Reactions: rebelwithacause
"Tickets" mean Merchandise - Broadcasting - Sponsorship - its an array of revenue sources - IDK if they (fans) just all of sudden find out Bronny sucks early in the season and the "story" is over. Lakers fans pretty much put up with Kobe stinking up the joint for the first year until he matured and actually helped them win consistently. Bronny can suck ass (and he will) but even that is a STORY _ good or bad it doesn't matter as long as they are talking about you and are interested they are viewing & they are winning. LeBron is the golden ticket - his son being drafted bought him another year or two to ride off into the sunset. I hate the STORY personally and I do NOT like Lebron. Winning really isnt important as you think it is. Making Money is the goal of the owners /Not winning (shhhh dont tell the fans) IN todays day and age people don't even remember who won the NBA Championship the last couple years. Most NBA fans can NOT recite the last 3 years of Champions - They forget- but Stories. STORIES they will remember forever.
But again we are talking about the LAKERS. Probably the best brand in the NBA, and I would imagine the most profitable.
They will make money with and without this story. Their fanbase is used to their team being relevant, and that is slipping. They have been able to "buy" teams since the 90s. You don't think that their isn't some sort of heat/urgency about how they have performed in recent years?
I really doubt this "story" was that big of a factor with the Lakers. Keeping Lebron is their main priority. And if they didn't get Bronny that would have been severely challenged. They had to get Bronny.
It could be argued that it makes more sense to cut ties to Lebron from a competitive standpoint. The past couple of seasons do support that. So I do agree that it is more than just winning. But Lebron is still good enough and has pull with other players that having him is still probably better than getting rid of him. He at the very least remains a draw which helps the bottom line. They will be competitive enough, but they this cannot be sustained. But with Lebron's age, everyone realizes that.
But this novelty act of a father and son duo? Way overblown. I doubt it moves much of a financial needle outside of October.
Kobe was raw, but didn't suck. Was voted as an All star starter his rookie year, even though he didn't start on his own team. I hated this at the time. He was an exciting player on the floor, though raw at the time. He won the slam dunk contest. Bronny has nothing that would lead you to believe that he could have anywhere near the same season as Kobe.
This was 100% about keeping Lebron happy. Wasting a draft pick to make them both feel better supports that.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT