ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Celebrity deaths

Wow we grew up right in the same area. I went to Cannon too. That Stop N Go was the Spot .... I Remember a Nickle Arcade around TRop N Pecos - Close to the Chucky Cheese I think ?? - My mother used to Manage the Rum Runner bar - right next to the bar they had an arcade I could play for free all day. (the perks) Good Times. lots of summers in the Swimming Pools - Dirt Bikes IN the desert. (there was a little track right by cannon and The STop N go I would ride my YZ125 around all the time) All day in the Sun☀️ and the nights were spent watching UHF channel 33 🤘 and MTV rocking out to Heavy Metal .... but still Moonwalking to MJ and trying to do back spins and the worm on cardboard because I just saw "Breakdancing" and ELectric boogaloo ... LOL ...i was the breakdancing Heavy Metal kid. lmao. I was confused. I loved it all. Times were so simple.
Nickelodeon arcade I used to go there and Mary Kay’s.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Wow we grew up right in the same area. I went to Cannon too. That Stop N Go was the Spot .... I Remember a Nickle Arcade around TRop N Pecos - Close to the Chucky Cheese I think ?? - My mother used to Manage the Rum Runner bar - right next to the bar they had an arcade I could play for free all day. (the perks) Good Times. lots of summers in the Swimming Pools - Dirt Bikes IN the desert. (there was a little track right by cannon and The STop N go I would ride my YZ125 around all the time) All day in the Sun☀️ and the nights were spent watching UHF channel 33 🤘 and MTV rocking out to Heavy Metal .... but still Moonwalking to MJ and trying to do back spins and the worm on cardboard because I just saw "Breakdancing" and ELectric boogaloo ... LOL ...i was the breakdancing Heavy Metal kid. lmao. I was confused. I loved it all. Times were so simple.
The arcade in that area was Games People Play. It was near … Mexican restaurant … I think it was Chapala … southwest corner of Trop and Eastern, a Winchells was in the center at the time, they built a Wal Mart several years later.

But that arcade was my home away from home - that and Sunset Park for baseball.

I can’t remember Frank’s last name, a tiny Italian guy from NY, used to be a jockey in the 30’s or 40’s. He seemed like he was 80 back when he owned it but people always look older than they actually are when you are young. At the time, I’d have believed I didn’t have a single teacher under 50. But Frank, now he was a great guy … he used to let me and my friends stay after he closed up and gave us a ton of quarters. I think it was a paisan thing with him, he was so very old school, respected my uncle a lot.

I think all of Vegas was great way back then, it was 2 degrees of separation, a huge small time feel and it was safe. It really felt community wherever you went. Now it’s just a typical big city with the same big city problems.

With your area, no Ned,Ted and Fred’s next to the Naugles? May have been Farm Basket first …
I don't remember going there more than a few times (right it was a Farm Basket), but how could I forget GPP which you mentioned. I probably went there more than any other. We went to Mary Kay's only because we liked eating at Commercial Center they had a Korean place there plus Villa Pizza.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I don't remember going there more than a few times (right it was a Farm Basket), but how could I forget GPP which you mentioned. I probably went there more than any other. We went to Mary Kay's only because we liked eating at Commercial Center they had a Korean place there plus Villa Pizza.
The Villa Pizzas are still in town, but they’re called Carmines now. He’s another old school, good Italian dude. His son Frank (our age) runs them now but at least until a couple of years ago, I’d bump into Carmine. His is a great story of NYC to LV with little to no money and just taking a risk and having it pay off. He had some issues in the 90’s with business decisions (closed the Villas, a lot of the businesses then went inside of bars - I think they were Triple Plays) … and it was a decision that really unraveled things …. But they’ve bounced back by taking full ownership again …

I don’t remember the Korean place in commercial center … but I do, and most under 21 kids, remember Pat’s Chinese Kitchen because you could draw a fake ID with pen and paper and get drinks there. Seriously, I remember old school typewriting an out of place birthdate on a laminated UNLV ID and being served drinks in there. You could have licked your thumb and wiped away the print. They just wanted your money. There were a few places like that in town, I remember another Asian restaurant near UNLV that did the same, but the name eludes me.

The Villa Pizzas are still in town, but they’re called Carmines now. He’s another old school, good Italian dude. His son Frank (our age) runs them now but at least until a couple of years ago, I’d bump into Carmine. His is a great story of NYC to LV with little to no money and just taking a risk and having it pay off. He had some issues in the 90’s with business decisions (closed the Villas, a lot of the businesses then went inside of bars - I think they were Triple Plays) … and it was a decision that really unraveled things …. But they’ve bounced back by taking full ownership again …

I don’t remember the Korean place in commercial center … but I do, and most under 21 kids, remember Pat’s Chinese Kitchen because you could draw a fake ID with pen and paper and get drinks there. Seriously, I remember old school typewriting an out of place birthdate on a laminated UNLV ID and being served drinks in there. You could have licked your thumb and wiped away the print. They just wanted your money. There were a few places like that in town, I remember another Asian restaurant near UNLV that did the same, but the name eludes me.
I did go to Carmine's it is pretty good. I was wondering what happened to the Villa's though. Interesting to know.

LOL it's hilarious how we went to different schools and yet both knew Pat's was the place to go if you wanted to drink and were under age. I remember going there and not even being asked. The other one was Marker Down which was around Valley View and I think Flamingo (could have been Trop). Maybe Pat's later became the Korean BBQ place I am thinking of?

Wow memories..... their family was friends of ours growing up. Good friends to have,. He would give his friends jobs at Villa Pizza - I remember one time FRank totally catered a party i was having (senior year at my house) for free. He showed up- made a phone call and next thing ya know 10 pizzas and 10 buckets a wings showed up at my door. Thx the next day i remember having to fish all of the wings out of the bottom of the pool. LOL good times.

Trop/Pecos Mexican Place was Ricardo's - northwest corner, same center as Sneakers (watched many Rebel NCAA games there including UNLV/Wyo (Fennis Dembo era) as well as local bands (Face First anybody?).

Naugles & Farm Basket were both on DI near Ted, Ned & Fred (or whatever order). Naugles on the way home from a night out was the go-to.

Loved Villa Pizza. 1st the one on Eastern near Bonanza, then on Maryland near Sahara - Carmine was a gem. Frank was damn good too.

Spent way too much time at the arcade on Trop/Pecos near Sav-On but learned how to stretch a dollar of quarters into an hour of fun. Later realized that losing a dollar of quarters in 15 seconds on video poker was way too expensive for entertainment and kept me from gambling. Other vices are another thing...

Trop/Pecos Mexican Place was Ricardo's - northwest corner, same center as Sneakers (watched many Rebel NCAA games there including UNLV/Wyo (Fennis Dembo era) as well as local bands (Face First anybody?).

Naugles & Farm Basket were both on DI near Ted, Ned & Fred (or whatever order). Naugles on the way home from a night out was the go-to.

Loved Villa Pizza. 1st the one on Eastern near Bonanza, then on Maryland near Sahara - Carmine was a gem. Frank was damn good too.

Spent way too much time at the arcade on Trop/Pecos near Sav-On but learned how to stretch a dollar of quarters into an hour of fun. Later realized that losing a dollar of quarters in 15 seconds on video poker was way too expensive for entertainment and kept me from gambling. Other vices are another thing...
Nah, Ricardo’s, that was Trop and eastern for sure. Also an Alpha Beta originally in the same center, then became a Safeway maybe. That was my area completely, we lived near Paradise Park. It’s crap now.

I don’t recall first face, Remember the Sneakers in the corner, definite sports hang out, even if you were a bit underage, it was easy.

I think we might be talking the same arcade that Frank owned, I think it may have been a sav on right near it .., also a Trop Aquarium in there, like I said, a Winchells … way back when there was a Sambos (remember those?) was in the center.

So I basically grew up smack dab in the middle of the major cross streets Flamingo, Trop, Eastern and Pecos. But when I arrived at that home, Pecos was still dirt, as was Tompkins … and aside from a few small smatterings, I could see nothing but desert from my back wall several miles away to a green oasis that happened to be Sunset Park. It really was a good city and an amazing childhood. Flare ups were pretty infrequent, everyone knew each other or knew somebody that knew the other person. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Naugles was a late night go to as was Farm Basket for those chicken fat fries.

Nah, Ricardo’s, that was Trop and eastern for sure. Also an Alpha Beta originally in the same center, then became a Safeway maybe. That was my area completely, we lived near Paradise Park. It’s crap now.

I don’t recall first face, Remember the Sneakers in the corner, definite sports hang out, even if you were a bit underage, it was easy.

I think we might be talking the same arcade that Frank owned, I think it may have been a sav on right near it .., also a Trop Aquarium in there, like I said, a Winchells … way back when there was a Sambos (remember those?) was in the center.

So I basically grew up smack dab in the middle of the major cross streets Flamingo, Trop, Eastern and Pecos. But when I arrived at that home, Pecos was still dirt, as was Tompkins … and aside from a few small smatterings, I could see nothing but desert from my back wall several miles away to a green oasis that happened to be Sunset Park. It really was a good city and an amazing childhood. Flare ups were pretty infrequent, everyone knew each other or knew somebody that knew the other person. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
LOL yep I remember the Sambos I think the building is still there like a Dennys or something now. Yep Trop Aquarium, Winchells, Millers Outpost, my friends Dad owned a store there Chrome & Brass.

LOL yep I remember the Sambos I think the building is still there like a Dennys or something now. Yep Trop Aquarium, Winchells, Millers Outpost, my friends Dad owned a store there Chrome & Brass.
Yeah, Sambos got into heat with the name way back in the late 70’s, I believe it became a Denny’s. I recall to just the west of it, it was allllllll desert. And we used to go into Sambos for sodas or fries or whatever, a release a dozen or so lizards we had just caught in the desert. We were like 8 or 9, back when it was ok to go outside and beyond the neighborhood with no fears.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Yeah, Sambos got into heat with the name way back in the late 70’s, I believe it became a Denny’s. I recall to just the west of it, it was allllllll desert. And we used to go into Sambos for sodas or fries or whatever, a release a dozen or so lizards we had just caught in the desert. We were like 8 or 9, back when it was ok to go outside and beyond the neighborhood with no fears.
Yes they did which is why they closed but I had to agree with that one even the menu's had racist caricatures on it. Right that whole corner was all desert.

When my son has to come home at 10 and stay within a few blocks of the house I tell him there was a lot less to do back then but despite that my childhood was a lot more fun than yours with its three TV channels, no video games and no phones or social media. I stayed out until 11, went all over the neighborhood, went to arcades with friends. Much fewer worries and concerns, no getting in trouble because of what you did on your phone or social media accounts.

Yes they did which is why they closed but I had to agree with that one even the menu's had racist caricatures on it. Right that whole corner was all desert.

When my son has to come home at 10 and stay within a few blocks of the house I tell him there was a lot less to do back then but despite that my childhood was a lot more fun than yours with its three TV channels, no video games and no phones or social media. I stayed out until 11, went all over the neighborhood, went to arcades with friends. Much fewer worries and concerns, no getting in trouble because of what you did on your phone or social media accounts.
Everything about Sambos was racist.

I explain to my daughter and son about the way things used to be and they have a hard time understanding it. At their age, if they’re outdoors, they’re in sight. It sucks.

The older you get the more fondly you'll remember where you grew up.

Naugles was a late night go to as was Farm Basket for those chicken fat fries.
There’s 2 farm baskets in Vegas. The one on Charleston and Jones and they just opened up a second one on Nellis/Sahara.

They got rid of the white gravy recently. That pissed me off.
Nickelodeon arcade I used to go there and Mary Kay’s.

Hell yeah at commercial center, the bar next to Cue Club was letting kids under 21 come in and party. Then the cops came and the owners were like “if you’re under 21, you’re not allowed”

We f’n bounced!! Good times.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
There’s 2 farm baskets in Vegas. The one on Charleston and Jones and they just opened up a second one on Nellis/Sahara.

They got rid of the white gravy recently. That pissed me off.

Hell yeah at commercial center, the bar next to Cue Club was letting kids under 21 come in and party. Then the cops came and the owners were like “if you’re under 21, you’re not allowed”

We f’n bounced!! Good times.
I don’t remember the white gravy I just remember their fries. I love those things which I later found out are cooked in chicken fat. That is what gave them the chicken flavor.

I did go to Carmine's it is pretty good. I was wondering what happened to the Villa's though. Interesting to know.

LOL it's hilarious how we went to different schools and yet both knew Pat's was the place to go if you wanted to drink and were under age. I remember going there and not even being asked. The other one was Marker Down which was around Valley View and I think Flamingo (could have been Trop). Maybe Pat's later became the Korean BBQ place I am thinking of?
Carmine’s which closed on Durango between Sahara and DI, hosted the Manny Pacquiao vs Hatton fight back in 2008 That was the least time I saw a bar host a huge boxing match.

They still have Carmine’s at Caesar’s Palace.

The place went f’n nuts when Hatton got KO’d. People were screaming for Pac Mayweather..alas they both fought each other 6 years too late.

Scrub is that from Pizza My Dear? You making me hungry! Lol
No it’s actually from Villa Pizza on Durango/Desert Inn.

I’m chilling here at Golden Corral on Lamb and Charleston.

Dude, 16 f’n dollars for a buffet these days. That pisses me the F off. Runaway hyperinflation from Joe dementia Biden.

I’m thinking about getting a fake ID with my Dad’s face and identity and using it for senior discounts. I already use his ID account at Goodwill Wednesdays for half off stuff.

No it’s actually from Villa Pizza on Durango/Desert Inn.

I’m chilling here at Golden Corral on Lamb and Charleston.

Dude, 16 f’n dollars for a buffet these days. That pisses me the F off. Runaway hyperinflation from Joe dementia Biden.

I’m thinking about getting a fake ID with my Dad’s face and identity and using it for senior discounts. I already use his ID account at Goodwill Wednesdays for half off stuff.
"’m thinking about getting a fake ID with my Dad’s face and identity and using it for senior discounts. I already use his ID account at Goodwill Wednesdays for half off stuff."

I hear it's easy to get a date there with all the widowed Grandma's. You might give it a try. :)

• Haha
https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/...ay-rapper-social-media-star-dies-14-102143027Lil Tay, rapper and social media star, dies at 14

Haha, this child was hilarious. I’m guessing it’s either the vax or she discovered cocaine/fentanyl at 14 lol
She is not dead.

• Angry
Yes, I should have said Chapala was Trop/Pecos. Still in the same shopping center just moved into a building closer to the street.

Yes, I should have said Chapala was Trop/Pecos. Still in the same shopping center just moved into a building closer to the street.
In the old location I would go all the time, but after two times at the new location, I said never again. The quality of food went down, the service sucks, and the last time we went there they sat us at a table next to the pickup window and wouldn't move us. Zero stars.

Yep. Spent a ton of time in that particular center. Games People Play Arcade. The owner Frank, can’t remember his last name, old school Italian … tiny old man. Used to be a horse jockey. Really good man.

Reactions: Rebels_88
Yep. Spent a ton of time in that particular center. Games People Play Arcade. The owner Frank, can’t remember his last name, old school Italian … tiny old man. Used to be a horse jockey. Really good man.
Funny off topic story:

When I worked at various pools around town in my high school/college days, one season I worked with a jockey from Italy. I spoke a little Italian at the time, so he and I became work friends. He didn't let on much that he spoke English so people would say stuff in front of him or ask me to translate something but within earshot so that he could hear. I only had to translate some things since he spoke better English than I did Italian. At the end of the season, he responded to someone in English and they were shocked since he didn't let on for months.

Misspent a bunch of youth in that arcade.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT