ADVERTISEMENT

OT: An open letter to supporters of the team from the second-best city in the U.S.

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
Dear Cub Fans,

Congratulations on the fine record your team has managed to accrue so far in 2016. Although you've stumbled somewhat, of late, they're still virtually tied with the Giants, for the best record in MLB. I must caution you, however, against any over-confidence, as the two series against the Mets have proven, that we still have your number.

What a terrific game took place tonight at Wrigley. Both Arrieta and Thor displayed fine form, as aces are supposed to do (although I would argue that deGrom is the ace of the Mets staff) but the high-wire act performed by Familia in the ninth was nothing short of miraculous. I know, it wasn't nearly as enjoyable from your perspective as it was from mine, but regional preferences aside, it was a thrilling contest..

But all is not lost. Given the numerous injuries to key players like Cespedes and Harvey, Duda and Wright to name a few, there's always a chance that we'll miss the post-season. Were that to happen, not only might you have a shot, but I'll actually be pulling for you.

You may now return to our shared-fandom for the Rebels. But always beware of the boys in orange-and-blue We are your Waterloo...

images
images

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Chomp, chomp...The sound of words being consumed. There is no joy in Metville...

That's our last head-to-head confrontation, unless...!?!

Good luck Cubbies, I hope you win 120 games

Back to the Runnin' Rebels!

21646829.thm.jpg

Last edited:
I love this thread. Go Cubs Go. Much respect for the Mets young pitching. This battle may rage on for years to come.

Baseball is much more fun to talk about at this moment. I'll go back to thinking about what a mess Tina has made of our athletic department this fall.

First off, Chicago is second to no one. Nobody can beat the great City of Chicago. The city has the best food, people, attractions, and of course, the best sports teams & fans in the nation. I am a 4th generation Cubs fan & I believe this is OUR year. The Cubs struggled in the first meeting but took 2 out of 3 in the series that just ended. The Cubs have regained the best record in the MLB. The Cubbies just bolstered their bullpen by a trade with the Mariners, acquiring lefty reliever Mike Montgomery. This addresses a big need for a strong lefty middle reliever. The Cubs will continue to add the needed pieces to make a strong run in October and as I believe we will the World Series this year. The ONLY team that looks good in navy & orange is of course the mighty Chicago Bears, but that is a discussion for the fall. Meanwhile, GO CUBS GO!

First off, Chicago is second to no one. Nobody can beat the great City of Chicago. The city has the best food, people, attractions, and of course, the best sports teams & fans in the nation.
I love Chicago. I normally go in the fall so I can check out the fall colors and cooler temps. The food in Chicago is great right up there with San Diego or So Cal in general. One think about Chicago tho is they don't support their college teams very well, walking around the city you never see any college gear other than ND and once in a while North Western. And once you get outside of the tourist area lock your doors and don't stair at anyone the wrong way!

I love Chicago. I normally go in the fall so I can check out the fall colors and cooler temps. The food in Chicago is great right up there with San Diego or So Cal in general. One think about Chicago tho is they don't support their college teams very well, walking around the city you never see any college gear other than ND and once in a while North Western. And once you get outside of the tourist area lock your doors and don't stair at anyone the wrong way!
There are so many universities and colleges in and around Chicago like Northwestern, DePaul, Loyola ect plus all the IL. Universities that there is no one favorite like here in Vegas, Every city has good & bad parts but you will never find friendlier people. In fact, I belong to a Chicagoana in the Desert group here made up of former Chicagoan. We get together to watch the Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks ect....

First off, Chicago is second to no one. Nobody can beat the great City of Chicago. The city has the best food

Better food than New York? You must be joking. Or are you referring to that Tomato Pie you guys love so much? It’s ok, but it ain’t pizza. Go to NY and get yourself a slice…

As for the Cubbies, as I said, I really am pulling for them (right up until they cross path with the Mets), but they’re starting to show chinks in their armor. Bolstering the pen is a good move, although I’m not convinced that Montgomery is a savior. The acquisition of Aroldis Chapman to close, may be more consequential.

But it’ll all be moot if the starters break down. After the torrid start to the season, the Cubs have gone 8-13 in July, having just dropped the first two games to their cross-town rivals. While it’s hard to blame the staff in a 3-0 loss, the fact remains that they’ve have the 27th worst ERA in baseball this month.

So hang in there Cub fans. A seemingly insurmountable lead has shrunk to 6.5 as perennial nemesis St Louis is closing in…

oddbaseballguy.png

Better food than New York? You must be joking. Or are you referring to that Tomato Pie you guys love so much? It’s ok, but it ain’t pizza. Go to NY and get yourself a slice…

As for the Cubbies, as I said, I really am pulling for them (right up until they cross path with the Mets), but they’re starting to show chinks in their armor. Bolstering the pen is a good move, although I’m not convinced that Montgomery is a savior. The acquisition of Aroldis Chapman to close, may be more consequential.

But it’ll all be moot if the starters break down. After the torrid start to the season, the Cubs have gone 8-13 in July, having just dropped the first two games to their cross-town rivals. While it’s hard to blame the staff in a 3-0 loss, the fact remains that they’ve have the 27th worst ERA in baseball this month.

So hang in there Cub fans. A seemingly insurmountable lead has shrunk to 6.5 as perennial nemesis St Louis is closing in…

oddbaseballguy.png
Ah, come on now. It's better than ok (Chicago Pizza).

If I had to eat one type every day for a month, I'd pick NY Pizza. If I ate pizza once a month, I'd pick Chicago.

Chicago pizza sticks to your ribs like no other. After you eat Chicago pizza, you know you had an actual meal. It's so hearty, so flavorful, so rich.

I like both for different reasons, but I don't think you can easily dismiss one or the other if you like pizza.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
Well, since I started this thread (I hope all understand that it was meant to provide a bit of good-natured ribbing while we await the start of Rebels hoops), the Cubbies have returned to their dominant ways and my beloved Mets are rapidly sinking into mediocrity. The staggering number of injuries are proving just too much to overcome. Even our greatest strength, our young stud starters, are faltering a bit.

Oh well, if this is the year that The Curse of the Goat becomes history, or even better, poor Steve Bartman gets to return to the rest of his life, so be it. You guys have suffered enough. So unless the Mets suddenly go on a 15–game win streak and climb back into this race, I’ll be pulling for “youse guys” (I was, after all, born in “Da Bronx”).

But don’t think, for one minute, that your homeland can hold a candle to mine. Broadway, museums, Wall Street, Soho, Tribeca, the finest dining in the world, and despite the stereotype, fine people, who may project a gruff exterior, but are actually extremely generous souls.

Chicago is a very nice town, but even their local comedy workshop acknowledges that they are operating in the “Second City”). In any event…Go Rebels!!!

Y0gtJogZDepqOUO6OvSsJ2d_AYFe6hFCfyxNrt1QKmkEofgLoCWPgIWkLNM-GVsAEZnBFkTSbVIkwgpuMnJDoNGxPmDcGo48FV_GgaL6EDb_jF0rskZoWMFZ2l4OXgx86RJVDQzJ
uhCMoh72mDYlSV65-5iQYEcKjCWhA79UDuQvP0tRvkR9B0CU0aNvoeJbFJ1xK-DaKL_d2BkgxP674-sORH7BFszuREO4q_roNK4A2sGhyIewWvyMksLSQjKcDW4GtamyvdFQpWNR

FJf_NbeVyrhRQg6Tuqtp61akOlvnijU4eGIr3_GxHFHdfUT6WZPury3FJT6sHfEHEgntNHsOW1EWF_mOlbo21U0Z0sRMexW8sdCW897n2JQAEFMEYX9BRw0IAniQWY1o2PhTwyuy
8oeJSSijBEyFc6VxUghYdAi2x2MFt3JfaIJZ8RFn9xBP0XHyT4NzxnnKcHcOREJRgiFfyKbdN75XxULON_kYPVpOm8YVNFCmQvJs6t7xlnJ96A3KykiQQ_7qIKQVGRWJt-RnoZHG

Last edited:
The only thing Chicago is second to no one in is the homicide rate!

As for the Mets, Collins has already ruined Harvey, Syndergaard and Matz are next!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT