ADVERTISEMENT

OldSchoolReb/ScoresMan...question about player development

rebelx

qwerty
May 29, 2001
The deep recesses of my mind
twitter.com
I'm kinda at a crossroads with my 6th grader....he's a very solid pitcher that plays in our local city league (our version of little league), and on a "super league" team (which is a travel team). He dedicates all his time from early spring to mid July to baseball...after that, he's 100% football, then 100% basketball until the spring.

Right now, he's at a point where there are certain coaches want him to be 100% baseball, all the time. They say to me/us that he's got to start right now, or forget any chance of him pitching in HS, or beyond. One of the coaches is very high on him and says that he's a lock to pitch in HS and maybe even beyond based on his mechanics and his ability to throw strikes (only has about a half dozen walks in last 20 innings pitched), and because he already has a good curveball, and is one of the only kids in either league we play in that doesn't drastically tip his pitches with different mechanics.

I don't know about all this "lock" stuff...obviously there's a million things that could happen between now and then....BUT, my question is, how much would you recommend a kid plays, at this age? Currently, he plays twice a week in the city league, and double-headers on Saturdays. The most he'll pitch 10 innings a week (usually pitches 4-6 during the week, and then 4 on Saturday).

My stance has always been, if he's good enough, regardless of playing multiple sports, he'll play. Reality is, at least at our HS, that doesn't happen (at least not very often). Meaning, we rarely have kids play baseball and say football or basketball.

Anyway, you both seem like you're baseball people that deal with this stuff, so your thoughts are valuable.

here he is

this is a year and a half old...but I love the photo:

O266613.jpg

I know this is not directed towards me, but I also have both of my boys involved in multiple sports, and already pulled my son out of one soccer league because the coach insisted that he play on an elite year round team (which he did not want to do). My boys play baseball, soccer, basketball, and have played football, as well as the older boy being a very good mid distance runner. The simple fact is unless you are grooming your son to get a scholarship or to play in the pros, just leave it to them to do what they want.

As for the coach saying that he needs to play year round to play at the high school level and also saying that he is a lock, counterdicts himself.

If he is good enough to play now, he will be good enough for high school. While it is not as common any more, kids still do play multiple sports.

I played three sports in high school but still found time to work out with Ralph Meder every sunday on my pitching....Baseball players are far more advanced today because of year round play BUT IMO if you pitch it can be the worst thing for you...Players need to shut it down for awhile and they don't do that. Alot of scouts don't like to draft kids that have been life long pitchers because they turn into damaged goods way before they should because of throwing to much....My friend Mike Morgan was working with kids in SLC last year ages 12 and up if you want I'll call him for you.....I'm sure he could help your son...I think he could get him to use his legs more and bend a little more...a little to over the top but overall very nice delivery....Mike's a great guy and loves kids...let me know?

Yes, I'd absolutely love to work with him....my wife's already told me to get somebody else because I'm too hard on him. I've been trying to get him to bend more all season long, every pitch "bend at the waist"......he's a good kid though, and easy to work with. There's also a guy up here named Dan (?) Gazzaway or something like that....ever heard of him?

Don't get up to SLC much...my sister is the controller at Judge Mem. I'll call mike tom. for you ...see where it goes....he's a great guy and good friend...

I don't know much about the aspects of player development as i'm only 22 myself (I should be getting drafted if I stuck it out). I spend lots and lots and lots of time reading scouting articles and just basic skill stuff and learn from other people talking.

As far as the photo, he doesn't have the dreaded inverted W.

X the main thing at that age is having a live arm...everything can be fixed...i just called Morgan and left him a voice mail...hopefully he e mails me this weekend..he does a lot of hunting and traveling so who knows...Talked to Pletsch yesterday and he's having a tough time getting a hold of him too...Scores the phillies are in town this weekend to work Brandon out....They're a ways apart on$$$$...Hager from SV signed for 963 G's....damn 18 year old cash cows....LOL....X I'll find someone up there for you that is good with kids...might take a little time but we'll get it done....

Thanks for the info OSR, not sure the Phills will come higher in their price only because I believe they've signed 25ish of 30+ draftees already. Like I said, should of signed earlier to get higher money, i'm sure it's dropped as of now.

rebelx did you see my post on the conf board? Scores I'll get you some updates on the players...they're in Idaho this week...

OldSchoolReb

hey, thank you for the info on the coach up here....I'm going to see how it goes with this guy closer to home (Dan Gazzaway) that coaches out of the indoor place we use during winter months. If that doesn't work out, I'm going to try the guy you have...although after googling his name, he appears to be pretty busy (coaches football too).

Anyway, here's a few photos...the first is from early 2010 and the second is from a recent game in June 2011.....his form looks a little better now wouldn't you agree?

O267363.jpg

O267364.jpg

Re: OldSchoolReb

The last picture your son's form is over the top...Very good....The Judge Mem coach I hear is a very good guy and just loves working with kids....

I've actually heard the same thing, just today....maybe I'll give him a look just to see what he thinks. Thanks again for going above and beyond to help out! I gotta get my boy down to a UNLV camp....his high school has had a few kids go to UNLV in the past 10 years or so. I think Schlossnagle started a relationship up here that Buddy fed off of.

Brayden Walker went to the HS my son will go to....
This post was edited on 7/12 6:08 PM by rebelx

I think calling the Judge coach would be a very good move...He's turned out some very good players lately and just loves working with kids....My sister wouldn't steer me wrong...lol...If you do the UNLV camp let me know...Kevin Higgins and TC are good friends....Last year they helped my friends club ball team out...Taking the time to work with young kids is going to pay huge divdends down the road for UNLV Baseball....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT