ADVERTISEMENT

Oblad's First Start

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Any opinions out there on what you saw from Oblad in his first start?

He had a very tough start to the game. Missed some open throws. Maybe chalk that up to nerves.

He settled in a bit as the game wore on.

Was sacked five times so he was under pressure quite a bit. That probably played into the low completion percentage some.

Not going to put the INT on him. Game was essentially out of reach at that point.

I don't think he really helped or hurt his cause all that much.

UNLV punted 7 times in the first half. Its a credit to the defense the game was even remotely close going into half.

Boise's defense is pretty stout but the continued inability to move the ball and put points on the board gets more concerning every game.

Up next is Vandy who is statistically one of the worst defenses in the country.

With Sanchez' recent statement he wants to get back to running the ball more I think Armani will get the start if he is healthy.

That said, the leash might be short going forward and Oblad may see another start at some point this year.

Last edited:
It was 4th and 22 and the coaching staff had him toss up the ball, not only is the interception not on him, it was on a really stupid call by the coaching staff. They were down 24-7 late in the game, and all the coaching staff did was fall apart and end up giving up two late scores due to their play calling in the last quarter.

Considering his first game was against a team ranked 16th in the nation, he did a decent job, but we will need to wait for the next game to see if he can be competitive.

It was 4th and 22 and the coaching staff had him toss up the ball, not only is the interception not on him, it was on a really stupid call by the coaching staff. They were down 24-7 late in the game, and all the coaching staff did was fall apart and end up giving up two late scores due to their play calling in the last quarter.

Considering his first game was against a team ranked 16th in the nation, he did a decent job, but we will need to wait for the next game to see if he can be competitive.

I had no issue with the INT.

He had one other risky throw early in the game that was nearly picked, but beyond that he really didn't put the ball in danger much.

I don't know about play calling being the issue. We all complain about it from time to time but how much of it is execution or failure to execute I wonder.

Sometimes you call the right play and a QB misses an open guy, or receiver drops a ball etc.

Sometimes you call a bad play and your own player bails you out by making a great individual effort.

I think a lot of play calling comes down to exploiting the other teams weaknesses, matchups or tendancies.

You call a screen against a blitz. Its the right playcall, but the opposing DB or LB gets off his block and blows it up. It wasn't the call it was the execution.

Coach Sanchez coming out and saying we need to get back to the run game is a bit puzzling when the last few weeks all we have heard is we need to get the passing game going.

He sounds like a guy frustrated who's looking for answers and struggling to find any right now.

For all the grief Cotton took about being overly conservative I don't remember a string of 4 games where the offense struggled this much. There may have been, but I don't recall it.

Was he a better play caller? Was the execution better?

Hard to say at this point.

But the offensive struggles are hard to figure out considering a majority of the starters returned from last year. And where there was turnover like at running back it doesn't seem like there should be much if any drop off. You lose Presley to injury but replace him with Grimes. OLine saw very little turnover.

Biggest change is Justice is calling plays instead of Cotton. Is he the issue? It's possible. Its starting to sound like he's going to be the fall guy..

Last edited:
Oblad performed pretty much like I thought he would for a young guy against a good defense. He looked lost at first, and a little scared in the pocket. Eventually late in the second half he settled down and looked a little bit more comfortable. I think he’ll eventually be a great qb in a couple of years. He can throw a pretty ball. However, if Gilliam is healthy before Rogers then you absolutely put Gilliam in over Oblad.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Not saying qb was great, but receivers seemed hardly ever open. Then he tried to force it in to tight window and did not do well.

Also on defense I see the cornerbacks be blocked for many seconds like they are trying to stay blocked as then move to what ever way the runner breaks. Problem is, when they release from the block the runner is by him already. To me that is why they give up so many wide big plays. Got to get off blocks as soon as possible.

Not saying qb was great, but receivers seemed hardly ever open. Then he tried to force it in to tight window and did not do well.

Also on defense I see the cornerbacks be blocked for many seconds like they are trying to stay blocked as then move to what ever way the runner breaks. Problem is, when they release from the block the runner is by him already. To me that is why they give up so many wide big plays. Got to get off blocks as soon as possible.

Agree on 2nd part not the first as much.

Oblad missed a number of open guys or guys he could throw open by leading them early on. Made the wrong read and went deep on another play that was incomplete when he had a guy open for a first down.

Boise has some solid DBs for sure. But there were some throws Oblad would probably like back. Its normal for a young QB to have those type of issues.

The DBs not getting off blocks I agree 100%. Its been an issue for years now. Its not just Bubble screens, hell screen passes in general have been kryptonite for Rebel defenses the last few years. Guys just aren't getting off blocks fast enough. Plays that should be losses or minimal gains go for 10, 15, 20 yards.

Shedding blocks is a talent that good DB's possess.. our DB's aren't talented not an UDFA among them!

Coaching players up here has always been a disappointment!
Robert Jackson good catch.. he did little to nothing when he was here, don't even remember him honestly but hey I was wrong, we have a 1 lousy UDFA who will more than likely get cut as soon as Cleveland needs some roster space!

Lack of coaching maybe but there must be a reason that these so-called DB's of ours are schemed to line up 7 yards deep to SUU receivers.. they aren't good enough to line up in tight man at the line of scrimmage. SJSU will be a real problem for Flowers and the rest of them later this season!

Coaching players up here has always been a disappointment!
Robert Jackson good catch.. he did little to nothing when he was here, don't even remember him honestly but hey I was wrong, we have a 1 lousy UDFA who will more than likely get cut as soon as Cleveland needs some roster space!

Lack of coaching maybe but there must be a reason that these so-called DB's of ours are schemed to line up 7 yards deep to SUU receivers.. they aren't good enough to line up in tight man at the line of scrimmage. SJSU will be a real problem for Flowers and the rest of them later this season!

If they continue to fail to get pressure on the QB they will struggle...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT