ADVERTISEMENT

Non conference record

bornreb89

Starter
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2014
I know it was only Jackson State but I feel even more optimism than last year. So we won the first game will more than likely lose at UCLA but what would you predict we do the next 2 games? I think we go 2-2 but If we hold our own against the bruins I think we go 3-1. I know it's early and Jackson State but no question we can compete in every game this year and going to a bowl game seems really realistic.

I know it was only Jackson State but I feel even more optimism than last year. So we won the first game will more than likely lose at UCLA but what would you predict we do the next 2 games? I think we go 2-2 but If we hold our own against the bruins I think we go 3-1. I know it's early and Jackson State but no question we can compete in every game this year and going to a bowl game seems really realistic.
I said in a fb post re: JSU game, "we will learn nothing from the offense in this game and everything about our defense." Defense was pretty lousy at times, but I imagine the play calling was VERY vanilla. Not many blitzes or complex packages. 33% in 3rd down was nice 252 yards on 78 plays (3.2 yards/play) is not that bad. I give them a B-.

This week vs. UCLA I think we will learn A LOT about our offense and not much about our defense. *Assuming our defense doesn't shut the Bruins down. We should give up a LOT of yards and points, but I want to see if our rushing attack can size up against a very good UCLA defense on the road.

Is it next Saturday yet?

I'm excited to watch that game next weekend too. Feels a little like a trap game for UCLA, with Texas A&M this weekend, then UNLV, followed by BYU and Stanford. We're definitely the lightweight out of that group. Maybe we can punch them in the mouth and get up 14 early like Jackson State...

hey, a guy can dream right?

I said in a fb post re: JSU game, "we will learn nothing from the offense in this game and everything about our defense." Defense was pretty lousy at times, but I imagine the play calling was VERY vanilla. Not many blitzes or complex packages. 33% in 3rd down was nice 252 yards on 78 plays (3.2 yards/play) is not that bad. I give them a B-.

This week vs. UCLA I think we will learn A LOT about our offense and not much about our defense. *Assuming our defense doesn't shut the Bruins down. We should give up a LOT of yards and points, but I want to see if our rushing attack can size up against a very good UCLA defense on the road.

Is it next Saturday yet?

Its hard to have a lot of criticisms about a 50 point victory.

However I think you are right, you would have hoped to see a little more pressure applied by the front four. As mentioned, they were very vanilla on defense and rarely brought any extra rushers. Not sure they did anything real exotic in terms of stunts with the front four. Also the tackling was a little sloppy the first half but was much better second half.

I did like that the defense really buckled down in the second half and forced some three and outs.

One of Jackson States scoring drives was kept alive on a roughing the passer call. That would have been another 3 and out for them.

I expect us to be 2-2 heading into conference play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT