ADVERTISEMENT

New JUCO QB offer 2024

He’s a gamer, the kind that wills your team to wins. Again, it’s clear Marion wants a dual threat QB and someone to push JM.

Also, Grigsby was recruited by Kris Cinkovich (Idaho Vandals OC/OL coach) back in 2020.

I expect UNLV will continue to recruit the way they did this past 12 months where they made far more offers than they will except when it comes down to the final scholarship decisions. They will cast a wide net and look to pick out the best of the bunch to bring into the program. The first priority needs to be the defensive secondary! What positions does everyone else believe they need to make a priority in regards to recruiting?

If coach Marion is making the decision on this QB great. This could be our diamond in the rough. He a Baller on the JUCO level. I am very interested seeing him in Spring ball. If he can pick up the offense fast look out.

Lower release point/plays shorter than a prototypical NFL QB. That being said, he doesn't need to be 7' to be a good RPO college QB.

Seems to throw well when flushed out of the pocket. That and will stand in there to deliver the ball despite knowing he's about to get hit.
The balls does get there fast. He is a gamer but I am not sure if it translates to this level? He is great at a short, ding dong type of passes. One thing that impressed me the most is his vision. It is incredible. It could works.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Just not sure how well QB talent on the smaller side translates into D1.. What were his offers out of HS? His size makes me cringe as I think of him getting destroyed by OLBs on the edge...

Pass rush is key.

It can help cover up some deficiency in the secondary.
That thin line of rush and cover for D is such a difference in being a bad, good, and championship team. I lean toward strengthening the trenches! It truly makes such a compounding affect in a game and through the year

Reactions: 220reb
I’ll say the same thing I’ll said about Ochoa. Marion is going after athletes and will mold them. If you want a polished sure fire QB prospect. Then put your house up for sale and donate the sale to the nil fund for one.

Josh Allen was never recruited, with the exception of Wyoming, every school in the country (especially Fresno St) dropped the ball on that one. Unlv should never be too good to pass on potential diamonds in the rough.

We have adults in charge of the program now, they watch film 24/7 practically and work around the clock. So when they offer someone, I trust they watched a lot of film and have had communications with the recruit to get a feel for who they are.

They aren’t offering on a whim as previous staffs have done. Odom has said they will bring guys that live and breathe football (like Grigsby), Odom does not care about where they are ranked.

Nobody following the program has heard of Dejesus, Lester, Jet, Woodard a year ago and they’ll continue to look for and find those type of guys that live in the weight room and film study.

They all won’t pan out obviously but the staff is all about development and out working everyone else. We’ve already seen it since Odom was hired.

Marion brought in a no star & no offer running back last year that led the country in rushing TD's as a freshman so I can't wait to see what he can do with a 3 star. In Marion I trust!
I’m not going to be popular, but I’m not the biggest fan of Marion at this point.
Love that he’s helping scoring points and helping win, but I don't really know that other top BO OC targets could not do the same if not better with current talent.
Seeing how he’s acted on sidelines, track record of jumping- it’s just rubbing me wrong. I hope he’s the best OC of 2024 for UNLV.
I love the recruiting side or being able to spot under radar talents! Yes, please, more of that!

Last edited:
Reactions: 220reb and tomrut
Marion started house shopping in different zip codes with 2 weeks left in the season... any athletic prospect we see him bring in won't be here long enough to develop for us. I don't care about bringing in huge NIL QBs if we can just keep the one that worked pretty well for us this year despite being a young talent...

Marion started house shopping in different zip codes with 2 weeks left in the season... any athletic prospect we see him bring in won't be here long enough to develop for us. I don't care about bringing in huge NIL QBs if we can just keep the one that worked pretty well for us this year despite being a young talent...
Truth

I’m not going to be popular, but I’m not the biggest fan of Marion at this point.
Love that he’s helping scoring points and helping win, but I don't really know that other top BO OC targets could not do the same if not better with current talent. Seeing how he’s acted on sidelines, track record of jumping- it’s just rubbing me wrong. I hope he’s the best OC of 2024!
I love the recruiting side or being able to spot those under radar talents! Yes, please, more of that!
I agree with you in terms of not being his biggest fan! I must ask, how was he acting on the sidelines? i was not at every game so i didnt actually see his behavior on the sidlines.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
At this point last year we were lamenting the loss of Aidan Robbins and Brumfield had one foot out the door. Marion brought in a bunch of jags at RB and they developed quite well in his system. Who knows what Jet’s ceiling is.

I haven’t seen anything where Marion isn’t capable of development of his players.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I agree with you in terms of not being his biggest fan! I must ask, how was he acting on the sidelines? i was not at every game so i didnt actually see his behavior on the sidlines.
Im out of state - in TX, so when i‘ve been watching the games and other highlights from tweets/X, YouTube - I’ve seen him numerous times not having a ‘coaching posture or attitude imo - specifically with Maiava. It seems to always be really demeaning, not coaching up. I understand frustration if you have gone over something, but it seemed to be IMO on bad play calls.. taking it out on him for something you called.
I fully understand players need tough love now and then, when coaching up, but it seemed not constructive at all the way he was approaching it. this is totally from very little video interaction, but seemed obvious. I actually started to understand why his resume looked the way it did. Transferring so much - sure it can be because you are productive and growing, OR it can be because you are a net negative.
When you can see a player glass over and it looks like he’s just thinking FU!
Same thing at the end of the BS game on the last turnover- did not see any coaching up.
This is all with the disclaimer that I cannot hear anything on the sideline, but I do know how to read body language.
The fact that talk of Maiava possibly looking to transfer confirms that to me- sad, he should not go anywhere as a top local recruit!

At this point last year we were lamenting the loss of Aidan Robbins and Brumfield had one foot out the door. Marion brought in a bunch of jags at RB and they developed quite well in his system. Who knows what Jet’s ceiling is.

I haven’t seen anything where Marion isn’t capable of development of his players.
I hope that’s the case!… I’ve just never seen him around a program long enough he could take credit on developing. Identifying talent is great- love more of that!!! Bring it in

I never said he wasn't capable of developing players. I said prospects won't be here long enough to develop. We're lucky we have him for more than 1 year. That said, I don't see bringing in a project small QB just because Maiava doesn't run a 4.4 40 time...

Im out of state - in TX, so when i‘ve been watching the games and other highlights from tweets/X, YouTube - I’ve seen him numerous times not having a ‘coaching posture or attitude imo - specifically with Maiava. It seems to always be really demeaning, not coaching up. I understand frustration if you have gone over something, but it seemed to be IMO on bad play calls.. taking it out on him for something you called.
I fully understand players need tough love now and then, when coaching up, but it seemed not constructive at all the way he was approaching it. this is totally from very little video interaction, but seemed obvious. I actually started to understand why his resume looked the way it did. Transferring so much - sure it can be because you are productive and growing, OR it can be because you are a net negative.
When you can see a player glass over and it looks like he’s just thinking FU!
Same thing at the end of the BS game on the last turnover- did not see any coaching up.
This is all with the disclaimer that I cannot hear anything on the sideline, but I do know how to read body language.
The fact that talk of Maiava possibly looking to transfer confirms that to me- sad, he should not go anywhere as a top local recruit!
Thank you for this detailed explanation. I've seen all of the stuff you said, but not enough times but thats because im not paying attention. However, I do notice that Marion and Maiava are not as close as most QBs and OCs. Im assuming that thats because Maiava is not the guy he recruited.

What really stuck out to me is what you said about the resume. 99 percent of people think that he has had so many jobs because hes that good and i can say that that is very wrong. obviously he wasnt fired, but hes definitely left because the HC was not head over heels over him. Great observation by you with this whole topic.

I will say that I dont think there was any coaching up in the moment in the Boise game because of how Maiava reacted after that last turnover. It was a lot to say the least. Caleb Williams does a lot too but he doesnt react like that. But the mannerisms and stuff of Marion I do agree with from the instances that I've seen. Would love to hear others chime in on this as well. Interesting topic.

Last edited:
I hope that’s the case!… I’ve just never seen him around a program long enough he could take credit on developing. Identifying talent is great- love more of that!!! Bring it in
He’s not around a program long enough because he’s successful and is driven to go to the top. The guy took the hard route growing up, was homeless at his JUCO sleeping on the streets, school hallways etc. Worked hard enough to get to Tulsa and became their top WR, goes pro and his life gets upended again.

In pursuing a coaching job, does he get any handout or nepotism to be on someone’s staff? No, he starts at the bottom of the barrel. He took a pay cut to come here to unlv.

So he’s earned the interviews and we’re being extreme in nitpicking BM. I mean, no offense but who cares who his GF is or what the hell his posture was on the sideline? The average unlv fan couldn’t name the any of the last 5 OCs, they were all clowns in comparison.

Reactions: 220reb
I never said he wasn't capable of developing players. I said prospects won't be here long enough to develop. We're lucky we have him for more than 1 year. That said, I don't see bringing in a project small QB just because Maiava doesn't run a 4.4 40 time...
Well it was clear vs Boise we were slow.

JM couldn’t outrun the Boise defenders. Marion is going to have a faster offense next season, that’s going to include different looks at QB whether JM stays or not.

We also don’t know if any of the QBs are coming back, and tbh don’t think any of them are a natural fit for this offense.

Well it was clear vs Boise we were slow.

JM couldn’t outrun the Boise defenders. Marion is going to have a faster offense next season, that’s going to include different looks at QB whether JM stays or not.

We also don’t know if any of the QBs are coming back, and tbh don’t think any of them are a natural fit for this offense.
No matter what transfers happen or don’t, for your own development as a coach, know that players can significantly grow in a short time with the right support. … it just takes being around more than 1 or 2 years to see or contribute to.

Personally I sure hope our QB is coming back... I think it's funny that the kid plays 2 bad games and everyone wants to throw him aside like he isn't National freshman of the year or the best QB we've had since Thomas simply because his strength isn't running the ball. I don't want my QB running around getting hit. Again, I'd rather take Maiava for 4 years as a solid starter that gets better each year than some flash in the pan JUCO kid or low tier transfer for a year because Marion hopes he'll plug in better than Maiava.
Unless one of these top tier guys becomes available to us, I'd like to see another year of Maiava development with more weapons around him

No matter what transfers happen or don’t, for your own development as a coach, know that players can significantly grow in a short time with the right support. … it just takes being around more than 1 or 2 years to see or contribute to.
We’ve already seen it, it didn’t take a year or two to see growth. We’re 9-4, unfathomable a year ago.

As we saw with Arroyo, these coaches don’t get 5 years to develop a program. You got to produce fast.

Cons- He's small. A little bit of a funky delivery. Side armed which could be a problem especially at his height.

Pros- Tough dude he stands in there. Throws a decent deep ball. His highlight video wasn't 5 minutes of him throwing deep shots on busted plays. Most of it was him working within the offense which is a good thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT