ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Schedule

LOL. Are we hoping the rest of the country have more than 2 or 3 losses?
Not the whole country just the rest of g5.
It would just like this year, where UNLV was in contention for the NY6 bowl in the final few weeks of the season, with 2 losses at the time.
The MW will be significantly higher than the rest most years. The AAC is close depending on how they fair.
Liberty had the easiest schedule in the country. In face an FBS team had a more difficult schedule than them this past season.
We could have 2 losses with our schedule next year and definitely be in the convo for a spot. Especially since 2 conference champions out of the G5 will get spots with the PAC dissolving.

Not the whole country just the rest of g5.
It would just like this year, where UNLV was in contention for the NY6 bowl in the final few weeks of the season, with 2 losses at the time.
The MW will be significantly higher than the rest most years. The AAC is close depending on how they fair.
Liberty had the easiest schedule in the country. In face an FBS team had a more difficult schedule than them this past season.
We could have 2 losses with our schedule next year and definitely be in the convo for a spot. Especially since 2 conference champions out of the G5 will get spots with the PAC dissolving.
If UNLV qualified, I hope it is based upon merits and not given by default. That's just me but I am sure most of the fan base would take it anyway it. can.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If UNLV qualified, I hope it is based upon merits and not given by default. That's just me but I am sure most of the fan base would take it anyway it. can.
90% of the time the G5 team in the playoff will be the lowest seed (#12) and will be viewed as only getting in by “default”. That playoff spot will only really be “earned” by winning that first game. It will probably be a SEC/BIG team most years but I’d like to get a crack at an Ohio State or a Bama even if the outcome is ugly.

Reactions: dcut03
90% of the time the G5 team in the playoff will be the lowest seed (#12) and will be viewed as only getting in by “default”. That playoff spot will only really be “earned” by winning that first game. It will probably be a SEC/BIG team most years but I’d like to get a crack at an Ohio State or a Bama even if the outcome is ugly.
Michigan was the National champion, and while UNLV was not going to win the game, they didn't embarrass themselves.

Looks like Kansas game will be played at Sporting KCs home... not a bad stadium to host but only holds 20k. They've had some D2 games played there in the past and there's hotels and food right next to stadium. Only about 20 minutes from KC Airport as well.

Looks like Kansas game will be played at Sporting KCs home... not a bad stadium to host but only holds 20k. They've had some D2 games played there in the past and there's hotels and food right next to stadium. Only about 20 minutes from KC Airport as well.
I haven't kept up with them... is there renovation or something at their usual facility?

Or... We're showing that we're serious football program... we have 2 Big 12 teams on the road... you don't think the conference heads will be paying attention? Also both may likely be on National TV... huge for our program and if we win either...
Or we could be headed into a tougher conference schedule at 1-3 or 2-2 and be exposed. It would be wiser if we dropped or reschedule HTown or KU and replace with a more winnable game. I'm not sure that's possible but if it is, I think we should do it. For G5 programs, it's about # wins look at Liberty they beat nobody and got into the playoffs.

Or we could be headed into a tougher conference schedule at 1-3 or 2-2 and be exposed. It would be wiser if we dropped or reschedule HTown or KU and replace with a more winnable game. I'm not sure that's possible but if it is, I think we should do it. For G5 programs, it's about # wins look at Liberty they beat nobody and got into the playoffs.
You can look a couple of ways at this.

Wins against weak teams do seem to trump losses to good teams. Especially beatable good teams.

If you want to make splash and have people take notice, then this is the schedule you want to play. All power teams are beatable. Tough to expect winning them all or any of them (though I think we at least get 1).

If we are trying to knock the Big 12's door down, then this is a way to do it.

But if the goal next year is to make a playoff spot, then this schedule will be tough. We would have to win at the very least 1, if not 2. Especially since we aren't playing Alabama, Ohio State, and Texas.

But if we are trying to toughen up a program and prepare for a conference championship, this schedule is great.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
You can look a couple of ways at this.

Wins against weak teams do seem to trump losses to good teams. Especially beatable good teams.

If you want to make splash and have people take notice, then this is the schedule you want to play. All power teams are beatable. Tough to expect winning them all or any of them (though I think we at least get 1).

If we are trying to knock the Big 12's door down, then this is a way to do it.

But if the goal next year is to make a playoff spot, then this schedule will be tough. We would have to win at the very least 1, if not 2. Especially since we aren't playing Alabama, Ohio State, and Texas.

But if we are trying to toughen up a program and prepare for a conference championship, this schedule is great.
I agree, if we want to get into a better conference then play this schedule and beat some of those teams. I would love to make the playoffs but I would rather go to a big conference and save the program if I have to choose between the two. If we play a Liberty schedule and make the playoffs is that good enough? Not so sure about that. If we can split those two road games and beat Syracuse at home that would be great.

Going 1-2 vs those 3 P5 teams and then winning the conference will likely be enough for the Mtn West champion to make the playoff as one of the best ranked conference champions. Given there are now 4 Power conferences not 5, that leaves 2 conference champion G5 positions. MWC likely tough enough and the SOS likely good enough that even at 10-3 or 9-4, we get into the playoff. Its not just about being ranked. I also think the playoff rankings will much like CBB lean more heavily on teams that are scheduling up, rather than say a Liberty, who basically played no one. Yes, Liberty was ranked this year, and that got them the Fiesta bowl birth, but theres now a lot more at play than "undefeated"

Going 1-2 vs those 3 P5 teams and then winning the conference will likely be enough for the Mtn West champion to make the playoff as one of the best ranked conference champions. Given there are now 4 Power conferences not 5, that leaves 2 conference champion G5 positions. MWC likely tough enough and the SOS likely good enough that even at 10-3 or 9-4, we get into the playoff. Its not just about being ranked. I also think the playoff rankings will much like CBB lean more heavily on teams that are scheduling up, rather than say a Liberty, who basically played no one. Yes, Liberty was ranked this year, and that got them the Fiesta bowl birth, but theres now a lot more at play than "undefeated"

I think that is the case. But there is a chance that a non power conference champion has to be in the CFP top 25.

"Although specific game dates have not yet been announced, we can make predictions on how each matchup will appear. Keep in mind that the No. 12 seed will go to Liberty, as the Flames are the sixth highest-ranked conference champion in the final CFP rankings, replacing Oklahoma — a team that finished third in the Big 12 — as the No. 12 team. "

I think it provides protection if bad team ends up winning their league and the rest of the G5 wasn't very good. It may not be a true autobid like the NCAAT. But the language is somewhat vague so I am not sure.

Last edited:
Look at it this way as well...

If we don't beat the P5 teams, how many P5 teams will be calling Odom? (This is why I think he's looking long-term here. You Menzie/CKK schedule if you want 'wins' on the schedule.)

If we do beat the P5 teams, and Odom is hired away, we are the up-and-coming of Boise State, Tulane, Liberty, etc. Coaches will want to come here, as well as players.

One successful year and we are all ready talking College Football Playoffs lol
So we should go back to talking about finishing .500 and be happy? We were in the Conference Championship game, We went out and got better at every position I can think of outside maybe QB, but thats also going to fall into "need to be seen"... Absolutely we should be talking about how winning a conference championship next year is the goal and that likely means a Playoff position.

So we should go back to talking about finishing .500 and be happy? We were in the Conference Championship game, We went out and got better at every position I can think of outside maybe QB, but thats also going to fall into "need to be seen"... Absolutely we should be talking about how winning a conference championship next year is the goal and that likely means a Playoff position.
Yeah it isn’t out of like as you said we improved vastly on defense the big question is the most important QB. If that hits or doesn’t will determine if the talk is legit or not.

Love playing P5 teams especially beatable teams like KU and Houston (as opposed to Michigan). I’d also love to see UNLV in the playoffs. But look, if we can be in the conversation for a playoff spot, especially if national commentators are arguing over whether UNLV should be in or out, that’s all good brother! Let’s not forget winning our conf championship is a key part of this. I want some redemption. And I’m looking forward to the rematch with BSU as well.

I think it’s the first time in Rebel Net history. We are talking more football than basketball in Jan/Feb WITHOUT there being a hotseat/coaching change situation. It took a quarter decade for that to happen.
It feel kinda nice. I still believe that if we starts at outside of top 50, we won't make it to the playoff. The OOC play have to go undefeated, IMO.
Our home games this year is unreal. My compliment to the chef that put this schedule together. It can be one helluva year on a historical level.

Reactions: SilverSpoon
It feel kinda nice. I still believe that if we starts at outside of top 50, we won't make it to the playoff. The OOC play have to go undefeated, IMO.
Our home games this year is unreal. My compliment to the chef that put this schedule together. It can be one helluva year on a historical level.
Momentum and starting position matter in college football. But at least the CFP ranking do not come out until later in the year (rightly so)

But saying that, it does help tremendously that we are starting the year as a conference championship contender and we will get more benefit of the doubt and more likely to crack the rankings this year vs last year. It is really tough to do that when you are expected to be a 100's level team vs a 40-50's level team.

That being said, we go undefeated in OOC we are going to be top 20 for sure.

Last edited:
We were what 1-5 or maybe 2-5 against good-halfway decent teams if you count CSU as a good win last year? We lost to pretty much anyone good and managed to barely defeat a depleted AFA team. Let's get back to reality. We lost the last 3 games against anyone even halfway decent.

Slow the roll.

We were what 1-5 or maybe 2-5 against good-halfway decent teams if you count CSU as a good win last year? We lost to pretty much anyone good and managed to barely defeat a depleted AFA team. Let's get back to reality. We lost the last 3 games against anyone even halfway decent.

Slow the roll.
Fair enough, but there is reason to believe that there will be a notable improvement next season.
Secondary alone. Massive overhaul with high potential players (one was first team all SEC 2 years ago).
A lot of defense additions elsewhere as well.
WR room will be better, RB room will be better.
Hard to say Sluka will be better than Maiava, but more dynamic of a player that will open up the playbook some.
That combined with the #1 recruiting class in the conference. Also you tend to expect a bit of an improvement in year 2 just to familiarity. There are enough returning players to expect some carry over.

But you are right. We had a weak schedule with a down MW and took advantage of that. But it does seem like we addressed most of the personnel issues through recruiting up to this point.

I would say the Wyoming win was the best of the year. Quality opponent that we controlled most of the game ( minus one quarter)

Last edited:

Slow the roll.
Why. I'm tired of UNLV only being good enough at being mediocre. We won the games on our schedule that we needed to, dropped a heart breaker to Fresno, hosted a title game and went toe to toe with a rising P5 team, all in a coaches first year... I'd rather talk about how good we can be moving forward than "Well, last year was probably a fluke, so we should be happy to go 6-6 and make a bowl game."

Slow the roll.

Beat teams we traditionally lose to.

That team likely goes 5-7 under Sanchez or Arroyo.

Yet got to 9 wins this year.

Arguably best recruiting class UNLV has ever had coming in plus you expect some of last years class to improve and contribute.

If the class is as good on field as it is on paper, they could match last year's win total vs a much tougher schedule.

Reason to be optimistic..

G5 rep for playoffs?

Not there yet I don't think. But they'll be in contention for MWC title I believe.

A lot will come down to is Sluka as good as advertised and how much better the defense actually is this season.

Offense should be better.

Last season #42 in total offense.

I think they creep into top 30s.

Defense getting into top 50 instead of bottom 50 will be key..

Fair enough, but there is reason to believe that there will be a notable improvement next season.
Secondary alone. Massive overhaul with high potential players (one was first team all SEC 2 years ago).
A lot of defense additions elsewhere as well.
WR room will be better, RB room will be better.
Hard to say Sluka will be better than Maiava, but more dynamic of a player that will open up the playbook some.
That combined with the #1 recruiting class in the conference. Also you tend to expect a bit of an improvement in year 2 just to familiarity. There are enough returning players to expect some carry over.

But you are right. We had a weak schedule with a down MW and took advantage of that. But it does seem like we addressed most of the personnel issues through recruiting up to this point.

I would say the Wyoming win was the best of the year. Quality opponent that we controlled most of the game ( minus one quarter)

UNLV SHOULD BE BETTER!

(With no historical evidence they should be)

UNLV gets better.

Yeah well weak schedule!

GOALPOST STARTS HERE

GOALPOST MOVED TO HERE.

NEW HOME FOR GOALPOST.

Why. I'm tired of UNLV only being good enough at being mediocre. We won the games on our schedule that we needed to, dropped a heart breaker to Fresno, hosted a title game and went toe to toe with a rising P5 team, all in a coaches first year... I'd rather talk about how good we can be moving forward than "Well, last year was probably a fluke, so we should be happy to go 6-6 and make a bowl game."
I think you missed my point. We don't need to load up on our schedule anymore with possible losses. If you go 12-0 or 11-1 with a shtty schedule in the G5, you're in the discussion for playoff berth. Would you rather be in that position or 9-3 and in the New Mexico Bowl gloating about the one or two wins we got over better teams during the year meanwhile XYZ program who played nobodys got in.

Beat teams we traditionally lose to.

That team likely goes 5-7 under Sanchez or Arroyo.

Yet got to 9 wins this year.

Arguably best recruiting class UNLV has ever had coming in plus you expect some of last years class to improve and contribute.

If the class is as good on field as it is on paper, they could match last year's win total vs a much tougher schedule.

Reason to be optimistic..

G5 rep for playoffs?

Not there yet I don't think. But they'll be in contention for MWC title I believe.

A lot will come down to is Sluka as good as advertised and how much better the defense actually is this season.

Offense should be better.

Last season #42 in total offense.

I think they creep into top 30s.

Defense getting into top 50 instead of bottom 50 will be key..
Win the MW and we are going to be a playoff contender by default. Top 6 conference champions get in and the MW is the 6th best conference at worst. Likely 5th. AAC is there but they even lost their best team in SMU from last year. There are potentially 2 spots up for grabs next season
Do we have to be ranked? Unsure. But a 9-3 MW champion (with next year's schedule especially) will likely be ranked.

Win the MW and we are going to be a playoff contender by default. Top 6 conference champions get in and the MW is the 6th best conference at worst. Likely 5th. AAC is there but they even lost their best team in SMU from last year. There are potentially 2 spots up for grabs next season
Do we have to be ranked? Unsure. But a 9-3 MW champion (with next year's schedule especially) will likely be ranked.

Possible, but it also depends on how other G5 schools do.

If they get 2 of 3 vs Houston, Syracuse and Kansas with one conference loss..

Definitely.

Not going to be easy though.

Possible, but it also depends on how other G5 schools do.

If they get 2 of 3 vs Houston, Syracuse and Kansas with one conference loss..

Definitely.

Not going to be easy though.
For sure. But remember, the current rules allow for 2 G5 teams in the playoffs and they pretty much have to be conference champions, unless a G5 somehow makes the top 8 in the CFP standings and doesn't win their conference championship game, which seems nearly impossible.

To use last season as a reference, if we beat Boise in our championship game, then we likely would have not qualified. Liberty and SMU would have been chosen.

However if we would have beaten both SJSU and Boise we likely would have been in.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT