ADVERTISEMENT

Most Impressive Stat of the Night

RebelBuzz

Retired Number
Jan 13, 2015
After a game where all the talk will be about record breaking stats, my favorite stat from the night will not get nearly the attention it deserves.

According to the Unlvrebels.com box score, ISU was 1-17 on third down. I thought they were o-fer, but 1-17 is still amazing. I don't care who you are playing, that is a great stat.

And I love that CTS' words aren't hollow. He has said before (in essence) "we are gonna give up some yards, but our goal is to be great on third down, in the red zone, and we have to create turnovers."

Offense was great tonight, but IMO, game ball goes to the D.

The D is getting nastier by the week. It gonna be fun to watch how they do against Reno. Our offense is still trying to find its identity but I am liking that dual QBs thingie..

UNLV's secondary is becoming a high quality unit. ISU's receivers were blanketed all night. The D-line is really physical and the LBs are flying around smacking people. I'm actually amazed just by how hard and fundamentally sound they're playing as a unit. The attitude on defense is so refreshing.

The guys are playing extremely confident on the football field. That was great to see the team defend the way they have on the football field and stay so disciplined with assignment
I really think coach Baer has had a big impact on this defense. Like you said they have shown a lot of discipline and that is a reflection of good coaching. It's nice to finally watch a UNLV football team that isn't killing itself with a ton of mental errors and guys not being in the right position.

Mike Hughes has been really good. Hough has been a really nice surprise. Have any other players stood out to you on defense?

UNLV's secondary is becoming a high quality unit. ISU's receivers were blanketed all night. The D-line is really physical and the LBs are flying around smacking people. I'm actually amazed just by how hard and fundamentally sound they're playing as a unit. The attitude on defense is so refreshing.
Couldn't agree more about the secondary been rock solid the last three weeks.

Couldn't agree more about the secondary been rock solid the last three weeks.
It's something we just haven't seen in the past. DB's with tight coverage, deflections, jumping routes at times. Previously, it was a 10 yard cushion, nobody near a receiver and they just hoped to wrap up after the completion. Yet they'd still get beat deep.

A lot of huge differences so far, the types I was looking for. Mentality, approach, fundamentals, etc...

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
And we just haven't had the head-scratching plays as in years past. The big plays and WIDE open receivers are virtually eliminated.

Against UCLA, we allowed one big run from Perkins, where they blocked it perfectly and Perkins blew through the hole for a long score. That's a legit top-10 team, and that was really it for big plays.

Against Michigan, there were 2 big plays. One where we had 2 guys in position and they missed tackles (not common for this group) before RB went for a long run. The other was an end-around Michigan set up perfectly with previous play calls.

It's just refreshing. Covered receivers, filled gaps, good tackling, and 3rd down stops... Love it.

Reactions: RebelinWA
And we just haven't had the head-scratching plays as in years past. The big plays and WIDE open receivers are virtually eliminated.

Against UCLA, we allowed one big run from Perkins, where they blocked it perfectly and Perkins blew through the hole for a long score. That's a legit top-10 team, and that was really it for big plays.

Against Michigan, there were 2 big plays. One where we had 2 guys in position and they missed tackles (not common for this group) before RB went for a long run. The other was an end-around Michigan set up perfectly with previous play calls.

It's just refreshing. Covered receivers, filled gaps, good tackling, and 3rd down stops... Love it.
I could be wrong here - but with so many of these guys having played for years under Hauck, it seems like these guys just lost all faith in Hauck and what he was trying to do - and Sanchez gave them reason for some hope. They're just playing much harder and smarter.

I haven't seen a stat for it yet, but I'd love to know what the average starting field position was for the Rebels. It had to be in Idaho State territory. I'm guessing the IS 42 yard line.

I still don't think the Idaho State player crossed the plane on their touchdown. But the Fanatical effort the team showed, especially by the 2nd string players was impressive.

I want to give a shoutout to Nicolai Bornand who's kicking last night was great, pinning them in the endzone time and time again!
Oh heck yeah, Bornand have been a real nice surprise. That one kick against Michigan pinned them inside the 5 yards line was awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT