ADVERTISEMENT

I thought we need to play our best game of the season to win.

If UNLV wins,SJSU would be eliminated from ang 2nd place tie. Then AF vs BSU winner would be the only 6-2 team, so that scenario is much easier than "UNLV L triggering madness" 😂

Beat SJSU!

100%

I'm actually pulling for Boise to beat AF.

I know they aren't what they were, but their name still has a little cache. Be nice to have that on the resume.

Reactions: LocoRebel
100%

I'm actually pulling for Boise to beat AF.

I know they aren't what they were, but their name still has a little cache. Be nice to have that on the resume.
I think I’d much rather want to play Boise than Air Force again. Air Force had separation with their receivers all game that their backup QBs just plain missed throws on. I’d guess their starter would be back by the championship game and he’d make the majority of those throws.

I think I’d much rather want to play Boise than Air Force again. Air Force had separation with their receivers all game that their backup QBs just plain missed throws on. I’d guess their starter would be back by the championship game and he’d make the majority of those throws.

Possibly. To be honest, the threat of his legs and ability to complete passes would make them much more difficult to defend.

I'm with you, prefer to play Boise State.

I’d rather play Boise St so I don’t have to watch AFA run it 70 times again. Plus, playing that type of game 2 out of 3 weeks is going to wear us down and possibly cause injuries. Think our guys were pretty beat up coming out of Colorado.

However, regardless of their record, Boise is no joke. Would be an awesome way to cap MWC play with a win at a fun atmosphere, but they’re better than AFA IMO and will be tougher to beat.

Agreed BSU is playing their best ball and will be the toughest game outside of UM. I prefer playing them but only bc I don’t want to play AFA again.

Arghh that one quarter of mindless football at Fresno is the difference of UNLV being undefeated in MWC and having already secured home field for the championship. I so wanted a rematch with them.
McKie dropped wide open pass in the endzone

McKie dropped wide open pass in the endzone
Yeah, well, we need him going forward. And we may need Brum, as well, you never know when. I was happy to see him get into the game for a couple plays.

Maintaining focus among all is very difficult for a staff. It appears they’ve done it well. So whatever their methods, gotta trust in them.

Yeah, well, we need him going forward. And we may need Brum, as well, you never know when. I was happy to see him get into the game for a couple plays.

Maintaining focus among all is very difficult for a staff. It appears they’ve done it well. So whatever their methods, gotta trust in them.
Me too especially when I saw him line up wide. Not sure if he can play WR but he can run would be cool to have him run a play like they did yesterday or maybe a WR sweep.

Reactions: dcut03
I don’t care. No preference really. Whoever is in front of us is in front of us. Take on all comers.

Just beat SJSU.

Seeing USC as a potential bowl opponent.

I don't care if USC is down, that would still be a potentially nice win on the resume. Would be a great recruiting point trying to grab some So-Cal kids.

Really don't care ultimately, but from an optics standpoint I think beating even a 6-6 USC team might carry more weight than potentially beating a 10-1 Toledo squad.

Seeing USC as a potential bowl opponent.

I don't care if USC is down, that would still be a potentially nice win on the resume. Would be a great recruiting point trying to grab some So-Cal kids.

Really don't care ultimately, but from an optics standpoint I think beating even a 6-6 USC team might carry more weight than potentially beating a 10-1 Toledo squad.
Yeah, USC sucks this year and even though it’s a big name, I think people realize it was a really bad year for them plus they’ll have key players skipping the game … but they still have talent/depth. If a limping/disinterested Trojan squad boat races you 42-10, I think it’s a bad look. I think beating Toledo is better than getting crushed by USC.

Reactions: dcut03
Yeah, USC sucks this year and even though it’s a big name, I think people realize it was a really bad year for them plus they’ll have key players skipping the game … but they still have talent/depth. If a limping/disinterested Trojan squad boat races you 42-10, I think it’s a bad look. I think beating Toledo is better than getting crushed by USC.
But the converse is, because of some perception, UNLV beats SJSU, wins the MWC title game, beats USC, they’ll probably be top 20 pre season next year let alone top 25. Just based on perception and returnees (and Odom winning recognition).

But the converse is, because of some perception, UNLV beats SJSU, wins the MWC title game, beats USC, they’ll probably be top 20 pre season next year let alone top 25. Just based on perception and returnees (and Odom winning recognition).
But beating a solid Toledo squad probably does the same thing.

The difference is the exposure. People are going to tune in to a bowl game with USC in it, more than 2 G5 teams.

So a win can go further, but a loss hurt a bit more.

UNLV could market the game as the when hell freezes over game! Who would ever believe UNLV would be in a bowl game, let alone have a chance to win the MWC!

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Agree on the optics of the negative for sure.

But

Toledo would WANT to be in any bowl game.

USC? Certain players yes. As a whole team...Not sure how interested they would be honestly.

I'm looking at it more from best case scenario. (Rebs winning vs whoever).

I like the optics of beating a down USC more than a solid Toledo..I just think that type of win resonates more.

Sort of like right now.

If Rebels can handle their business. I would prefer a matchup vs Boise vs rematch against Air Force. I think beating the team that, outside of last few years, has been conference king would feel like a changing of the guard..

Agree on the optics of the negative for sure.

But

Toledo would WANT to be in any bowl game.

USC? Certain players yes. As a whole team...Not sure how interested they would be honestly.

I'm looking at it more from best case scenario. (Rebs winning vs whoever).

I like the optics of beating a down USC more than a solid Toledo..I just think that type of win resonates more.

Sort of like right now.

If Rebels can handle their business. I would prefer a matchup vs Boise vs rematch against Air Force. I think beating the team that, outside of last few years, has been conference king would feel like a changing of the guard..
Who am I kidding? We could be playing SDSU at home this weekend, New Mexico for the league title and UNR in a bowl game and I’m going to be a nervous wreck for each one.

Those talking about playing a down USC team in a bowl game…let me tell you a story.

There once was a team called the University of Utah. They sucked for a long, long time. Then they played a down USC in the Las Vegas bowl in 2001. They did beat them in a horribly boring game (I know because I was there). Utah had been trending up in the years prior to 2001 but this win alone catapulted them into a new trajectory. Better players. Better coaches. Better recruits. New fans….

I think we have the coach in place, but being born into a U of U family I remember how big that win was for the Utes. It also opened a door into Las Vegas recruits for utah. I would take a game against USC this season. I think we’d be incredibly competitive and without their Heisman QB we’d have a VERY good chance to win.

Let’s just win Saturday and see what happens.

Last edited:
Those talking about playing a down USC team in a bowl game…let me tell you a story.

There once was a team called the University of Utah. They sucked for a long, long time. Then they played a down USC in the Las Vegas bowl in 2001. They did beat them in a horribly boring game (I know because I was there). Utah had been trending up in the years prior to 2001 but this win alone catapulted them into a new trajectory. Better players. Better coaches. Better recruits. New fans….

I think we have the coach in place, but being born into a U of U family I remember how big that win was for the Utes. It also opened a door into Las Vegas recruits for BYU. I would take a game against USC this season. I think we’d be incredibly competitive and without their Heisman QB we’d have a VERY good chance to win.

Let’s just win Saturday and see what happens.

Offensively they would be a huge challenge regardless of QB.

Defensively...They are God awful. Yeah the Pac has some explosive offenses, but they are still bad by any metric.

I'd love for that game. Not because I think it would be easy but the cache of the USC name and the possible bump a win over rhem could bring.

But beating a solid Toledo squad probably does the same thing.

The difference is the exposure. People are going to tune in to a bowl game with USC in it, more than 2 G5 teams.

So a win can go further, but a loss hurt a bit more.
Only hurts us if it is a huge loss. Usc likely will not be that interested in a minor to medium bowl game so odds are GREAT that we can hang with them.

Looking at the PAC 12 standings, it is weird that USC's regular season is over already.
It looks like either Utah or UCLA would jump them in the overall standings with a win this last week. Utah plays Colorado, and UCLA has Cal. So good chance at least 1 of them win there.

So my guess is that the LA bowl chooses UCLA to get more people there.

If we were to win out and land the LA Bowl, my guess it will be UCLA.

Similar situation, Chip Kelly may be fighting for his job, he may be fired by then. Who knows.

Looking at the PAC 12 standings, it is weird that USC's regular season is over already.
It looks like either Utah or UCLA would jump them in the overall standings with a win this last week. Utah plays Colorado, and UCLA has Cal. So good chance at least 1 of them win there.

So my guess is that the LA bowl chooses UCLA to get more people there.

If we were to win out and land the LA Bowl, my guess it will be UCLA.

Similar situation, Chip Kelly may be fighting for his job, he may be fired by then. Who knows.

I think Chip has to win out and win a bowl game and even then he's probably still on thin ice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT