ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Musings

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
Well Boys & Girls,

Can we find anything encouraging out of our current 7-game losing streak? Yes, I can.

I thought the Aztec game was pretty good. Nobody expected the Rebels to win, and they didn’t. But they competed. Whitling the 17-point lead down to six, took patience and discipline. We had a couple of opportunities to knock that lead down to four, or three. Those last few shots didn’t fall, but we were in it. They never surrendered. I was impressed.

This upcoming week we’ve got Air Force on the road, and Reno at home. If we can maintain the level of play that was on display through most of the second half at San Diego, there’s a distinct possibility that we could come home with a win over our fellow cellar-dwelling Cadets.

Speaking of the SDSU game, I assumed that Poyser had simply fallen so far in Coach Menzies’ estimation, that he never saw the floor. I’ve since heard that it was a disciplinary decision. Either way, JP needs to get his head on straight. I did notice that he was quite active on the bench, cheering his teammates and possibly calling out plays. That was a departure from the previous game, where I spotted him remaining seated at a point where the rest of the bench had jumped up. Maybe that was what was going on.

As for the dicks-from-the-hicks (UNR), we’ll probably get buried again. There’s not a lot MM can do, when they’re clearly better. But by rights, Reno should lay an egg. That dog-and-pony show that they put on up there was something they should be embarrassed about. They finally get a year when the Rebels are in extreme disarray, and they manage to field one of their best all-time squads. So they turn that into a virtual ticker-tape parade? Michael Buffer? He actually cost them 10-grand. Did they storm the court? I didn’t stick around to the end, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

Let’s see what happens once we get well. What’s the all-time record of the two teams? I don’t know, but I’ll bet it’s pretty one-sided towards the south. If that’s the game they wish to play. So come Saturday night, win-or-lose, we’ll still be Las Vegas, and they’ll still be Reno…Case closed.
bla-bla-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
Well Boys & Girls,

Can we find anything encouraging out of our current 7-game losing streak? Yes, I can.

I thought the Aztec game was pretty good. Nobody expected the Rebels to win, and they didn’t. But they competed. Whitling the 17-point lead down to six, took patience and discipline. We had a couple of opportunities to knock that lead down to four, or three. Those last few shots didn’t fall, but we were in it. They never surrendered. I was impressed.

This upcoming week we’ve got Air Force on the road, and Reno at home. If we can maintain the level of play that was on display through most of the second half at San Diego, there’s a distinct possibility that we could come home with a win over our fellow cellar-dwelling Cadets.

Speaking of the SDSU game, I assumed that Poyser had simply fallen so far in Coach Menzies’ estimation, that he never saw the floor. I’ve since heard that it was a disciplinary decision. Either way, JP needs to get his head on straight. I did notice that he was quite active on the bench, cheering his teammates and possibly calling out plays. That was a departure from the previous game, where I spotted him remaining seated at a point where the rest of the bench had jumped up. Maybe that was what was going on.

As for the dicks-from-the-hicks (UNR), we’ll probably get buried again. There’s not a lot MM can do, when they’re clearly better. But by rights, Reno should lay an egg. That dog-and-pony show that they put on up there was something they should be embarrassed about. They finally get a year when the Rebels are in extreme disarray, and they manage to field one of their best all-time squads. So they turn that into a virtual ticker-tape parade? Michael Buffer? He actually cost them 10-grand. Did they storm the court? I didn’t stick around to the end, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

Let’s see what happens once we get well. What’s the all-time record of the two teams? I don’t know, but I’ll bet it’s pretty one-sided towards the south. If that’s the game they wish to play. So come Saturday night, win-or-lose, we’ll still be Las Vegas, and they’ll still be Reno…Case closed.
bla-bla-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!
They definitely kicked a dog while it was down and it was intentional. They pumped it up, played it up, fired their guys and fans up. And they should have. They had a "big" win that was nearly guaranteed over a "rival". So you market it as such. Make it a big deal.

It's nowhere near UNR's best squad ever. About 10-15 years ago, I think they were ranked for parts of seasons (Fazekus?) Didn't they win an NCAAT game at some point? Anyhow, they're the beneficiary of a very down league (down implies temporary, I don't know if this is any longer temporary)... but it's clear this is the worst MWC season ever, UNR happens to be in the top 25%. I'd hardly call it their best ever.

They just need to snap the streak because now I fear it's in their head. Crunch time rolls around, they fall apart. Not that mentally tough right now and probably won't be this season at any point. It's just the makeup of the team.

I remember under Krugs one of our biggest wins under his tenure was in Reno who was ranked at the time (it was an OOC back then).

They've had some pretty good teams in the past a few times. The early to mid 2000's especially. They got to the Sweet 16 in 2004.

It's nowhere near UNR's best squad ever.
Ok Joe, you got me. I know UNR had good teams from 2004-2007, including a trip to the Sweet Sixteen. So I used a little hyperbole to fit my narrative. Sue me.

Actually, I’m glad that we have fact-checkers at Rebel-Net. It keeps us honest. I shouldn’t have described the current version of Reno’s team as “one of their all-time best” teams. But when one considers that in the history of the NCAA Tournament, The “Woof Pack” has managed a mere six invitations, a season where they are in contention for a league championship, must be considered among their more successful efforts.

And yes, they haven’t won anything yet, and yes, The Mountain West Conference is as depressed, talent-wise, as it’s been at any time since The Rebels became a member. But I heard some speculation that they could possibly receive an at-large invite, should they fail to win the MWC Tourney.

As per the over-hyping of the game, this is where you and I part ways. If they want to turn it into a heavy-weight fight, it requires two significant contenders. You can’t make it Ali-Frazier, when Ali is crippled by Parkinson’s. They were spectacular events, because both men were in peak condition. The outcome was up in the air. Beating-up on the last-placed Rebels didn’t warrant a 21-gun salute.

I just believe that the festivities should have been reserved for a match-up when both teams are at full-strength.
boxer-knockout-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
Ok Joe, you got me. I know UNR had good teams from 2004-2007, including a trip to the Sweet Sixteen. So I used a little hyperbole to fit my narrative. Sue me.

Actually, I’m glad that we have fact-checkers at Rebel-Net. It keeps us honest. I shouldn’t have described the current version of Reno’s team as “one of their all-time best” teams. But when one considers that in the history of the NCAA Tournament, The “Woof Pack” has managed a mere six invitations, a season where they are in contention for a league championship, must be considered among their more successful efforts.

And yes, they haven’t won anything yet, and yes, The Mountain West Conference is as depressed, talent-wise, as it’s been at any time since The Rebels became a member. But I heard some speculation that they could possibly receive an at-large invite, should they fail to win the MWC Tourney.

As per the over-hyping of the game, this is where you and I part ways. If they want to turn it into a heavy-weight fight, it requires two significant contenders. You can’t make it Ali-Frazier, when Ali is crippled by Parkinson’s. They were spectacular events, because both men were in peak condition. The outcome was up in the air. Beating-up on the last-placed Rebels didn’t warrant a 21-gun salute.

I just believe that the festivities should have been reserved for a match-up when both teams are at full-strength.
boxer-knockout-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!
Oh, I get where you are coming from. I think it's Busch League and petty, don't get me wrong. What I'm saying is - they know they are "up" and we are as "down" as we are ever going be. They also know that it's not going to last long and soon the landscape will settle back to its natural state where its business as usual, UNLV slaps them around. Even now, UNLV fans don't pay attention to the schedule and circle the game with UNR as a "big game". It's just a conference game to most of our fans, they are SJSU, Utah State and Wyoming. Nothing special about our game to most of our fans and yeah, it's long trickled to the team. Maybe they should but they've never been extra pumped because it's a supposed "rivalry" game. It's Reno. It's little brother.

So, it's one of their few moments in time to pound their chests. They've always been a tacky group, so you can't expect anything other than what we are seeing. It's tiny man syndrome again. They want the world to see how big and bad they are but nobody is paying attention - because UNLV is down and UNR just doesn't matter.

Reactions: 76Rebel Man
Even now, UNLV fans don't pay attention to the schedule and circle the game with UNR as a "big game". It's just a conference game to most of our fans, they are SJSU, Utah State and Wyoming. Nothing special about our game to most of our fans and yeah, it's long trickled to the team.

Unfortunately Change UNLV to SDSU and UNR to UNLV and that's how where we are in that "rivalry"

Though to be fair UNLV has not felt as strongly about SDSU and UNR has felt about UNLV

The amount of work they put into that game was kinda sad when you think about the mindset behind it all. Beating a depleted, down UNLV team and rubbing it in because they could. We lost by 30+ but I'd be more embarrassed as a UNR fan.

Final thought: UNR's best NBA player is a guy who's accomplishments include being a two-time Shaqtin' a Fool MVP.

Oh, I get where you are coming from. I think it's Busch League and petty, don't get me wrong. What I'm saying is - they know they are "up" and we are as "down" as we are ever going be. They also know that it's not going to last long and soon the landscape will settle back to its natural state where its business as usual, UNLV slaps them around. Even now, UNLV fans don't pay attention to the schedule and circle the game with UNR as a "big game". It's just a conference game to most of our fans, they are SJSU, Utah State and Wyoming. Nothing special about our game to most of our fans and yeah, it's long trickled to the team. Maybe they should but they've never been extra pumped because it's a supposed "rivalry" game. It's Reno. It's little brother.

So, it's one of their few moments in time to pound their chests. They've always been a tacky group, so you can't expect anything other than what we are seeing. It's tiny man syndrome again. They want the world to see how big and bad they are but nobody is paying attention - because UNLV is down and UNR just doesn't matter.

Honestly, since the 1992 season, Nevada has more NCAA Tournament wins than UNLV 4-3. In the five seasons Nevada and UNLV have been in the MWC the Pack is 6-5 and has finished higher 3 times. The Pack has more players drafted in this century than UNLV. That is a decent stretch to be down for.

Also to correct a point JaVale McGee is not the best NBA Player from Nevada, he is the highest paid, Ramon Sessions would be the best player. Not that impressive, but a solid 10 year career.

Honestly, since the 1992 season, Nevada has more NCAA Tournament wins than UNLV 4-3. In the five seasons Nevada and UNLV have been in the MWC the Pack is 6-5 and has finished higher 3 times. The Pack has more players drafted in this century than UNLV. That is a decent stretch to be down for.

Also to correct a point JaVale McGee is not the best NBA Player from Nevada, he is the highest paid, Ramon Sessions would be the best player. Not that impressive, but a solid 10 year career.
What happened? You were trolling our board, and your “Woofie” hairs stood up over some slight to your beloved UNR? Take your little statistic packet and scurry back north.

You can quote all of the numbers and player stats that you like. You are, and will always be the little brother when it comes to Nevada basketball. That’s Nevada, the state, not your pathetic attempt to identify UNR as something less “little”. Until you can add a National Championship to your resumé, until you can identify a couple of #1-picks in the NBA Draft, your little whiney “facts” are meaningless.

So four of your (whoo…) six whole appearances in the NCAA Tourney came in one four-year stretch from ’04 to ’07 that somehow makes your program superior to UNLV’s 33-19 NCAA record with four trips to the Final Four?

You keep jumping up-and-down and yelling about Reno’s unintelligible blip on the national basketball scene, but no one is listening. Take all the joy that you wish as your team blows out our current JV-squad. Everyone outside of Washoe County is simply waiting for the Rebels to re-capture their swagger, so that basketball in the state of Nevada might become relevant, once again.

animated-finger.gif

Go Rebels!

I love fans like you, you have passion and you care. Though you live in the past. You had a great run that lasted for 16 years, and it was because of a visionary coach. I know it is tough to come to grasps but UNLV Basketball has been irrelevant on the national stage for 25 years. Your best result since 1991 is a sweet 16 appearance, and only one other time has UNLV won a game in the first round. UNLV has one conference title in the past 17 seasons. Explain to me how the Rebels will re-capture their swagger, so that basketball in the state of Nevada might become relevant, once again?

I love fans like you, you have passion and you care. Though you live in the past. You had a great run that lasted for 16 years, and it was because of a visionary coach. I know it is tough to come to grasps but UNLV Basketball has been irrelevant on the national stage for 25 years. Your best result since 1991 is a sweet 16 appearance, and only one other time has UNLV won a game in the first round. UNLV has one conference title in the past 17 seasons. Explain to me how the Rebels will re-capture their swagger, so that basketball in the state of Nevada might become relevant, once again?
Dear bitter troll,

Please explain to me when CC of Reno was EVER relevant on a national stage. I'll wait patiently.

Thank you.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Reactions: Stefanie10
@packblue, don't ever think that you can come trolling over here, file a complaint when you're attacked, and except any of us to actually protect you. I encourage UNLV fans to attack trolls from other schools especially when they are from reno.

Bye, Felicia!

Reactions: dcut03

Its very clever how you like to cherry pick your statistics to your favor. This century? 17 years is an odd number to pick. If you choose round numbers like 20 or 25 years. Because UNLV has more players in both incidences (7-6, and 8-6). How about total drafted players 48 vs 16. Lottery picks? 10-0. Wow. Hasn't UNR been playing basketball for much longer? hmm.

Is that going back too far? OK, since we are talking about relevance. Let's go to players drafted in the last 5 years? That would be 4-0. How about current NBA players. That would be 6-3.

I agree UNLV is not nearly as relevant as it once was. It hasn't been for a while. But while our program has been beaten down, it is still more relevant than UNR.

The UNLV name still has some meaning. It's how UNLV can schedule true home and home series with top programs. When the last time you hosted a true home game at Lawlor with a top 5-10-15 opponent? (Not counting UNLV or course ;)) When's the last time UNR went to a big time preseason tournament like Maui?

Sure have fun this year. We are in our worst year in the past 40 years and you are having one of your better, so enjoy it. I'm happy for you.

I'm happy for you.
Now,now...lying is a sin. No one this side of Sparks is remotely happy for them.

Mr. Pack needs to tuck his puppy-tail between his legs and scurry back to the dreary north, where he belongs.

We're admittedly having the worst year of our existence (if that's not true, fact-checkers, let it slide, please). We Rebel faithful, have lamented the many deficiencies in our current squad. We have expressed extreme frustration over this sad state of affairs.

But like any family, we can criticize our team, but outsiders, most especially those from the red-headed step-son of a program from the part of our state which has no relevance whatsoever, MAY NOT partake in Rebel-bashing.

How dare you come on our board, with your total lack of history, your complete absence of accomplishments, and presume to dictate basketball records to us. You will never know, nor understand what it is like to be part of something as historic as Rebel basketball.

So instead of offering fake pleasure in the UNR situation at the moment, you should be expressing real sympathy over the fact that a 20+-win season, and a possible invitation to March Madness for the first time in 10 years, is the heights that they must be content with. And even that is only a maybe...
gtfo-meme-smiley-emoticon.png

Go Rebels!

The UNLV name still has some meaning. It's how UNLV can schedule true home and home series with top programs. When the last time you hosted a true home game at Lawlor with a top 5-10-15 opponent? (Not counting UNLV or course ;)) When's the last time UNR went to a big time preseason tournament like Maui?.

I am not sure how I have trolled the board. I have not attacked or cursed at a single poster, I have not disparaged the University, players or coaches. I have presented some facts after my team was belittled.

I love college basketball, and as someone who lives in Las Vegas, I have attended 5 UNLV games this year, S. Illinois, Duke, Air Force, Wyoming, and Nevada , which I bet is more than some on this board have attended.

dcut03's post above is one of the biggest concerns Nevada fans have. As we all know Las Vegas is an entertainment capitol, and it is easy to draw big name teams, Duke and Kansas this year, as the fans enjoy the trip. This is the reason the Pack is on the bubble this year, we have difficulty getting the name schools to Reno, or as you say invited to the big name tournaments. The schedule was supposed to be much more difficult, with many RPI top 100 teams to go along with a rebounding MWC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT