ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread Michigan

As bad as the left side of the line looked, I was a little surprised that Jalen St. John didn't get any snaps that I could see. And I didn't see him against Bryant, either.

I wonder what the Zavier Carter suspension was over and if this is going to be something that lasts longer than one weak. I think we really need him if we're going to try to generate pass rush with just 3/4 people in the pass rush.

For Dougie B to be successful he has to get 2/3 pillars of the GoGo offense for the QB--make proper option/RPO decisions, be a live option with the QB keeper and make downfield throws. He was 1 for 3 against Bryant (QB keeper threat), and 0 for 3 against Michigan. How much more rope are you giving him, especially given apart from 5 games last year he's a under 60% completion QB for his career who can't stay healthy. I expected us to get throttled at the Big House, but you can get throttled and make the right decisions running the offense--or you can get throttled doing everything poorly.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
We need better QB bottom line. Wouldn’t have changed the outcome today but will for the rest of our games. I’d like to see M play more but I also trust in Odom to make the right call here.

Maybe we can trust the staff a little?

We have two games to see, one of which being on TV where we can't see downfield that much, in one sided games. The coaches have all of spring and fall camp to see how our personnel plays.
Things change with the lights on, that's for sure. Doug had come up big in games for us in the past and has struggled too.
But there is not a direct comparison, even in games, between JM and DB. Its not like they are trading series in the first half. Jm has come in one sided games in different situations.
I'm not saying that for Doug is our best option to winning, I'm just saying we don't have enough information yet as fans. The staff has much more info than we do.
If Doug consistently misses reads I'm guessing Marion would not like that very much. Also it is possible that some of these reasons option looks are not RO's at all and are just true run plays. Again we don't know from the stands or our couches.

Reactions: LocoRebel
Thats not exactly the case...beat out implies there was a real competition for the spot. There was not.

But long term, Marrion has his own QB targets he is recruiting to run things the way he wants. Through 2 games, it's clear Doug can't run the Go-Go and the play calling is more RPO than anything else. Anyone arguing that our starting QB throwing sub 150 yard games regularly is a good thing and should keep his starting spot should probably prepare for missing a bowl game in this terrible conference
They were both here in the spring and summer correct?! What would you call it if they were both here in the spring and summer and Maiava ends up number 2? I did not say Doug should be starting, I said he is starting, there is a difference there!

Maybe we can trust the staff a little?

We have two games to see, one of which being on TV where we can't see downfield that much, in one sided games. The coaches have all of spring and fall camp to see how our personnel plays.
Things change with the lights on, that's for sure. Doug had come up big in games for us in the past and has struggled too.
But there is not a direct comparison, even in games, between JM and DB. Its not like they are trading series in the first half. Jm has come in one sided games in different situations.
I'm not saying that for Doug is our best option to winning, I'm just saying we don't have enough information yet as fans. The staff has much more info than we do.
If Doug consistently misses reads I'm guessing Marion would not like that very much. Also it is possible that some of these reasons option looks are not RO's at all and are just true run plays. Again we don't know from the stands or our couches.
Which games against quality opponents has Doug "come up big for us"....

The answer is none. He didn't play vs Reno, got destroyed in 3 series last yr in big game spot vs SJSU, didn't play well in must win game vs Hawaii, had a mediocre day sub 200 yard passing day in close loss to ranked Fresno...

Having "big" games vs FCS team is not impressive and we have 2 years of watching the same play to judge by, not just 2 games. If you want to see UNLV on a bowl game, its time to start asking questions of the starter under center, not patting him on the back and saying "you'll figure it out eventually right?"

They were both here in the spring and summer correct?! What would you call it if they were both here in the spring and summer and Maiava ends up number 2? I did not say Doug should be starting, I said he is starting, there is a difference there!
I'd call it exactly what you'd expect. A new experoenced coach with a returning Starter... smart money is sticking with him and not making it a competition... Maiava was a freshman coming off a redshirt season, learning a new system. To me that makes it easy for spring and fall camp, unless your freshman just blows the doors off immediately... and he obviously was good enough to displace Bayley at 2, which tells you Doug was locked in at 1 by new staff regardless...

I'd call it exactly what you'd expect. A new experoenced coach with a returning Starter... smart money is sticking with him and not making it a competition... Maiava was a freshman coming off a redshirt season, learning a new system. To me that makes it easy for spring and fall camp, unless your freshman just blows the doors off immediately... and he obviously was good enough to displace Bayley at 2, which tells you Doug was locked in at 1 by new staff regardless...
They were both here in Spring and Summer ball and got reps, I’d call that a competition age has nothing to do with it but thanks!

Maiava got beat out.
Thats not necessarily true, is it?

Brumfield was named starting QB and it was made known that Odom wanted him to stay before spring ball. After being given a leadership role like that, I think it would have been a pretty bad place to be to take that from an upperclassman who is viewed as a key piece of the program.... keeping Doug and ensuring he is a leader on the team kept many players from transferring (seemingly), but was it ever because of on-field performance?

Thats not necessarily true, is it?

Brumfield was named starting QB and it was made known that Odom wanted him to stay before spring ball. After being given a leadership role like that, I think it would have been a pretty bad place to be to take that from an upperclassman who is viewed as a key piece of the program.... keeping Doug and ensuring he is a leader on the team kept many players from transferring (seemingly), but was it ever because of on-field performance?
So he wanted Doug. And he had all spring and summer to change his mind and didn’, what does that say about the other guys?

So he wanted Doug. And he had all spring and summer to change his mind and didn’, what does that say about the other guys?
Brum played like he was stoned out off mind last night. That reactions was too slow to be a high caliber QB. Again, looks at New England's starting QB Mac Jones dude reactions seems slow too then he sober up or something? Weird.
Vanderbilt will come after Brum, you can bet on that. If he continues to just go through the motion like he did against UM, UNLV will lose bad.

Last edited:
Brum played like he was stoned out off mind last night. That reactions was too slow to be a high caliber QB. Again, looks at New England's starting QB Mac Jones dude reactions seems slow too then he sober up or something? Weird.
Vanderbilt will come after Brum, you can bet on that. If he continues to just go through the motion like he did against UM, UNLV will lose bad.
No doubt!

Doug did not look good yesterday and he leaves a lot to be desired on most Saturdays but is Maiava the answer?

I guess we will soon see.

No doubt!

Doug did not look good yesterday and he leaves a lot to be desired on most Saturdays but is Maiava the answer?

I guess we will soon see.
If coaches decide to switch to Maiva. He need to practice with the 1st unit for the entire week. He need repetitions and support. Everybody need to be all in (at least with all the staff).

That when an ordained leader, who publicly recruited to retain players from transferring, is benched, it's a bad look.

I think it means literally nothing of the talent evaluation and understanding of the offense. I dont know whether Doug has a better or worse understanding of the offense than Maiava. The staff, I'm sure, does. But putting him on the bench to start a winnable, testable game early on (week 3, not 1 or 2 based on opponent) is a bad look.

I have no idea who is actually better or who is better in the offense. But if it's close, you have to go with the guy who the team voted ad a captain.

As far as what they do in the weeks to come, someone here mentioned it. If there is any consideration of switching starter, Maiava needs a practice week with the 1s. Super important.

If Doug looks decent (not excellent, but not bad), he should continue starting. If he's not reading well, or is making bad decisions with the ball, or is really inaccurate, gotta make a change. But vs Michigan is absolutely in no way the time to make that decision.

The Bryant game was more of a marker imo, and the numbers weren't great. Give him a bit of time.

Which games against quality opponents has Doug "come up big for us"....

The answer is none. He didn't play vs Reno, got destroyed in 3 series last yr in big game spot vs SJSU, didn't play well in must win game vs Hawaii, had a mediocre day sub 200 yard passing day in close loss to ranked Fresno...

Having "big" games vs FCS team is not impressive and we have 2 years of watching the same play to judge by, not just 2 games. If you want to see UNLV on a bowl game, its time to start asking questions of the starter under center, not patting him on the back and saying "you'll figure it out eventually right?"
How about a solid UNT team, he played well against Utah State and UNM before getting hurt. Looked bad against SJSU
Before SJSU there was talk about him being the best QB in the league last year.
He made big plays when we needed him in the past.
He was also begged to be brought back by 2 staffs and earned the starting job this year.
So the coaches must see something in him, no?
You know the guys who are with the team 7 days a week. See everything in practice and the film room and in the QB room. You know, those guys?
The highest paid coach in MW history?
I'm not saying that we have to run Doug forever. But you seem to have a bit of selective memory as well. I'm just saying this season we haven't seen apples to apples comparisons with our top 2 QBs yet. That's it.

It is very possible that JM takes over and not because of injury. He has looked pretty good so far. He has some warts too, but has promise.

Last edited:
Kind of funny, unlv is on Michigan’s championship merch.

Losing by 28 looks pretty good now considering how badly Michigan beat some of the teams in their conference. Of course, I was really happy with how they played overall verse Michigan.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT