ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread Michigan

There's been some poor play calls for sure. But the offensive line has been absolutely overmatched and DougieB is making the wrong call on about 60% of his Option/RPOs while throwing downfield at 50% accuracy. There's not a lot of offenses that can overcome this much poor execution. But a top 5 DL will expose a lot of short comings.

Michigan could have score 200 points if they want to...f*ck, this is disgusting

There's been some poor play calls for sure. But the offensive line has been absolutely overmatched and DougieB is making the wrong call on about 60% of his Option/RPOs while throwing downfield at 50% accuracy. There's not a lot of offenses that can overcome this much poor execution. But a top 5 DL will expose a lot of short comings.
Can't have a QB at any level I don't care who it's against throw 100-150 ypg and expect to win and compete in your conference.. outside Airforce

Maiava not know the plays or something? Talk about a momentum killer having to run over to the offensive coordinator every time to get the play

Maiva looked better, but it was also against back ups and safer defensive play calls. Though apparently it wasn't only back ups.
Our defense looked way better against the 2's as well. Go figure.

Michigan looks to be very good, though we may not know until the last month in the season with their schedule.

We didn't get that creative on offense this game either. I guess you need a little more momentum for that. Maybe they decided not to go go all out in this game too based off of the likelihood of succeeding?

Doug still struggles with quicker reads. He had no time to throw, though but he needs to get rid of it if he makes the first person miss. At least against teams of this caliber he does. Good news is that JM at the very least looks like a very solid back up option. Again, I think next week's game is a true litmus test for this season.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Something tells me that we will be heavily involved in the portal for D-Line and O-Line. I know we won't have SEC caliber talent however we should be a very nice landing spot for high 3 or 4 star players. The look on Coach Odom face said a lot. He wants to be a to put a scare into a power 5 team. Similar to old school Bosie.

Something tells me that we will be heavily involved in the portal for D-Line and O-Line. I know we won't have SEC caliber talent however we should be a very nice landing spot for high 3 or 4 star players. The look on Coach Odom face said a lot. He wants to be a to put a scare into a power 5 team. Similar to old school Bosie.
We don’t need SEC caliber lineman how about Wyoming level or Tulane level lineman, how about we start there!

Tough to really gauge where we’re at when you play at a top 5 team. Offense is still a work in progress. Need to get better quickly if they want to win 5-7 games. Starting to wonder if Brumfield should be the guy. Leash definitely needs to get shorter if nothing else. Defense didn’t play terribly, but Michigan basically did whatever they wanted.

Good news moving forward. After 2 weeks, it’s difficult to see any automatic losses. Even have a shot next week IMO. The bad news is I don’t necessarily see any automatic wins either unless we improve. Should know a lot more after next week.

Tough to really gauge where we’re at when you play at a top 5 team. Offense is still a work in progress. Need to get better quickly if they want to win 5-7 games. Starting to wonder if Brumfield should be the guy. Leash definitely needs to get shorter if nothing else. Defense didn’t play terribly, but Michigan basically did whatever they wanted.

Good news moving forward. After 2 weeks, it’s difficult to see any automatic losses. Even have a shot next week IMO. The bad news is I don’t necessarily see any automatic wins either unless we improve. Should know a lot more after next week.
I watched a little bit of Wake vs Vanderbilt, Vandi is better than UNLV. They have a winning record. They play hard and play with unity. UNLV is not that at the moment. We will lose this game if things doesn't come together quickly.

I watched a little bit of Wake vs Vanderbilt, Vandi is better than UNLV. They have a winning record. They play hard and play with unity. UNLV is not that at the moment. We will lose this game if things doesn't come together quickly.
Don’t get me wrong. Vanderbilt is certainly better than UNLV. I just don’t think it’s an automatic loss. At this point I’d say Vanderbilt, Fresno, Air Force and probably Wyoming are tough games. Reno, Colorado St and UTEP should be wins. The others are closer to 50/50. Still wouldn’t be shocked to see any of the remaining games go either way.

Don’t get me wrong. Vanderbilt is certainly better than UNLV. I just don’t think it’s an automatic loss. At this point I’d say Vanderbilt, Fresno, Air Force and probably Wyoming are tough games. Reno, Colorado St and UTEP should be wins. The others are closer to 50/50. Still wouldn’t be shocked to see any of the remaining games go either way.
I am including Hawaii in the W column because the game is in Vegas. If the numbnuts of OL still play like they play today....we are not going to win another game.

A short leash is not the solution... he's already being given the kid gloves and he's not doing well with them. They can't open the playbook up when he's unable to make basic reads and his instinct to run keeps his options limited. There's a reason why Maiava has looked smoother in the offensive sets. He doesn't hesitate to throw or pull it down. Might not have 100% control of playbook yet, but he's got a much better reaction than Doug at this point

A short leash is not the solution... he's already being given the kid gloves and he's not doing well with them. They can't open the playbook up when he's unable to make basic reads and his instinct to run keeps his options limited. There's a reason why Maiava has looked smoother in the offensive sets. He doesn't hesitate to throw or pull it down. Might not have 100% control of playbook yet, but he's got a much better reaction than Doug at this point
I agree with this. How many more years do you need so see if Doug is going to figure it out. The instincts as you say have always been to tuck and duck then run. Doesn't anyone get tired of that. I've been done with him for a very long time. I just get tired watching our coaches dreaming that he will get it done. Maiva is the first guy in a long time that actually looks like a QB. He seems calm and poised in the pocket. He will only get better in time.

Tough to really gauge where we’re at when you play at a top 5 team. Offense is still a work in progress. Need to get better quickly if they want to win 5-7 games.
One thing we have seen is this conference is abysmal in 2023. UNLV making a baby step in the right direction will likely get them to 4 or 5 wins on its own.

I see the calls for Maiava and that’s what we always do around here but what happens if he is not the answer either? There is a reason that Brumfield is starting, Maiava got beat out. Brumfield looks the same and the number 2 looks like the better answer but what if he’s not, then what?!

I see the calls for Maiava and that’s what we always do around here but what happens if he is not the answer either? There is a reason that Brumfield is starting, Maiava got beat out. Brumfield looks the same and the number 2 looks like the better answer but what if he’s not, then what?!
I get what you're saying. I've seen 3 years of tuck and duck and it doesn't change. Then to add to his throwing accuracy I haven't seen any change there either.

We won't know if Maiava is going to be the guy if he doesn't get to see first half action. I'm not distraught with him getting broken into the game slowly either. But, we won't know what we got until we see him outside the fourth quarter. I'm just tired of what I've seen for three years and am ready to move on and give someone else a chance.

It's okay for us to disagree on things because in the end we all want to see UNLV football change for the better. I could very well be wrong in my assessment of our starting QB but, after three years I can see where this is going.

I was there. Great to see so many Rebels at the Big House. If you like college football definitely go see a game at the Big House. Tailgate starts 5 hours before the game. There is a neighborhood around the area and everyone is really nice. I paid $40 to park at this guys front yard. He turn out to be a big VGK fan. Talked to him for a bit. Every front porch had some bbq going. Then coming in to the actual stadium itself is an experience. All the fans was really nice. Ushers mostly veterans were going either go Knights or go Rebels to me. The game was a flame out but overall it was an amazing time.

Thats not exactly the case...beat out implies there was a real competition for the spot. There was not.

But long term, Marrion has his own QB targets he is recruiting to run things the way he wants. Through 2 games, it's clear Doug can't run the Go-Go and the play calling is more RPO than anything else. Anyone arguing that our starting QB throwing sub 150 yard games regularly is a good thing and should keep his starting spot should probably prepare for missing a bowl game in this terrible conference

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT