ADVERTISEMENT

Menzies is out, who and when is the new coach?

khokhol8

National Player of the Year
May 24, 2012
Last time it took way too long to find a new head coach which killed the recruiting for that season. A new coach needs to be brought in quickly but it needs to be the right coach. This is where the rubber hits the road for Desiree Reed-Francois. Let's see how good she is

Miller would be a terrible hire. Kidd could be alright, but I'm concerned about both not being able to build a team around an identity and get players to buy in. Matta is the best bet for that.

Reactions: runninreb4life1234
Arrigo 3 weeks ago said IF Menzies was fired and they moved away from Pitino that Thad Matta was the guy. Today he hinted that Matta is the guy for $2.8M per...I'll roll with him since he's as dialed in as anyone

Last edited:
No WAY UNLV can afford that $800k buyout in their financial situation without boosters stepping up to the plate...which tells me Pitino is a very real possibility.

The money isn’t going to be an issue this time around UNLESS boosters decide to pull back for a reason. Today, now - it’s there.

Thats my point. Boosters HAVE to have dictated this ousting--and this impending hire, more importantly--or they would have never ponied up both the cash for the buyout and the cash for an upgrade unless someone was ALREADY in place...and that somebody would have to be a big name.

Thats my point. Boosters HAVE to have dictated this ousting--and this impending hire, more importantly--or they would have never ponied up both the cash for the buyout and the cash for an upgrade unless someone was ALREADY in place...and that somebody would have to be a big name.
Solid logic.

And logic should also tell you that if there's real money involved, it's not the same old boosters, it's not the three tiny fish that pretend they are sharks that helped sink this program. Lets be thankful for that.

Last time it took way too long to find a new head coach which killed the recruiting for that season. A new coach needs to be brought in quickly but it needs to be the right coach. This is where the rubber hits the road for Desiree Reed-Francois. Let's see how good she is
Kevin Kruger

If it’s not Matta, ....

Better not to think about it. Imagine, 'Introducing the new head coach of your Runniiiiiiinnnnnnng Rebels! Steeeeeeeve Alfoooooord!' ::2 people clap sheepishly::

I hope it's Matta because I don't have any other names coming to mind that wouldn't be a let down or flat out embarrassing. Musselman would be good but I don't see him coming here.

Better not to think about it. Imagine, 'Introducing the new head coach of your Runniiiiiiinnnnnnng Rebels! Steeeeeeeve Alfoooooord!' ::2 people clap sheepishly::

I hope it's Matta because I don't have any other names coming to mind that wouldn't be a let down or flat out embarrassing. Musselman would be good but I don't see him coming here.

I know its cutting off my nose to spite my own face but I would NEVER want a coach who once coached UNR. There. I said it.

Probably some high school coach. Ohh I just stirred the $hit...:boxing:

Anyway, the next higher WILL tell us if we return to greatness or continued crap....

I would just say that I think DRF deserves credit despite who might be hired. She said all the things everyone wanted to hear and made the call.

Don't like this at all. As time goes on the rumored candidates get less and less impressive. We heard Pitino, Matta, and Miller....now supposedly not happening...last names I'm hearing Frank Martin or Kenny Payne.:thumbsdown:

From what I've heard about Matta, it doesn't sound like its going to happen. He has to interview to continue getting paid by Ohio State. That's the only reason he would interview with us and the only reason he interviewed with other P5 schools.

From what I've heard about Matta, it doesn't sound like its going to happen. He has to interview to continue getting paid by Ohio State. That's the only reason he would interview with us and the only reason he interviewed with other P5 schools.

He better have been locked down prior to the firing. UNLV can't afford to drop another coach that soon without a definite decisive coach like Thad. Honestly, if it's not Thad, I'm going to be like the rest of the fans and turn my interest and $$$ towards the Knights and Raiders.

I am hearing that DRF is speaking with an assistant in the Northwest that had a little trouble recruiting a PG at his last stop but since we have one on board now maybe it would work out okay. Supposed to be a real strong recruiter. I think his name is something like Lice, Ice Brice, Nice. No wait a minute it is Rice!

I am hearing that DRF is speaking with an assistant in the Northwest that had a little trouble recruiting a PG at his last stop but since we have one on board now maybe it would work out okay. Supposed to be a real strong recruiter. I think his name is something like Lice, Ice Brice, Nice. No wait a minute it is Rice!
Anything is better than Menses. Worst winning percentage in UNLV history with the weakest schedules in UNLV history and his teams were among the top worst in history with metric rankings. Waste of 3 years. Nothing fruitful.

Anything is better than Menses. Worst winning percentage in UNLV history with the weakest schedules in UNLV history and his teams were among the top worst in history with metric rankings. Waste of 3 years. Nothing fruitful.
I liked CDR in that he recruited hard, scheduled good and was a good ambassador for UNLV much like Sanchez but felt that he never had the respect of the players. Almost like he was pleading with them instead of demanding.

No doubt UNLV MBB will be in better shape next year no matter who the new coach is.

I'm reading..

Thad Matta
Jason Kidd
Mike Miller

Really hoping it's Matta. Not sure Mike Miller would be much of an upgrade over Menzies or Rice.

Thad Matta positives - great resume, successful coach in a power 5 conference. He can recuit and coach.
Thad Matta negatives - he resigned from Ohio St. due to health reasons and didn't have it mentally or physically to coach and recruit at a high level. Is that still the case?

Jason Kidd positives - Huge name. Great NBA career. Beat Duke in the NCAA tourny (Bobby Hurley's senior year) when playing in college. NBA coaching experience. Could possibly bring John Welch in as an assistant (former UNLV player, former assistant to Tark, NBA assistant coach).
Jason Kidd negatives - No collegiate coaching experience so kind of a wild card at the collegiate level.

Mike Miller positives - Long playing career in the NBA
Mike Miller negatives - He has been an assistant coach at Memphis for literally less than a year. That is his only coaching experience.

Rick Pitino positive - Incredible resume as a college coach for both recruiting and coaching. Butts will be in the seats right away. Just won the Greek Cup
Rick Pitino negatives - Moral and ethical issues abound. Las Vegas and Tricky Ricky may not be a great idea (Like putting a type 2 diabetic in an apartment next to the world's best candy store).

Reactions: you444
Plan A - Thad Matta(great resume, only 51, proven winner, best case scenario)
Plan B - Rick Pitino(great resume, proven winner, lots of red flags, but he WINS...BIG)
Plan C - Leon Rice(fields solid, competitive teams despite lacking great facilities)
Plan D - Nate Oats(hot young coach on the rise)
Plan E - Frank Martin(not young or hot but he wins most of his games competing in Power 5)
Plan F - Chris Jans(another NMSU coach? but he has a better resume than Menzies or Weir)
Plan K - Jared Phay(Tark started out as a JC coach, why not?)
Plan Q - Steve Alford(pompous jerk but he won his share of games at New Mexico)
Plan W - A successful local high school coach.
Plan Z - Anyone willing to do the job for $100/week because it just doesn't matter at this point.

That's why I hope we get Matta. The drop off and/or risk is huge after him.

Reactions: khokhol8
I don’t understand the Matta love. Yes he has proven but he also was trending down the last few years at Ohio State. Would I be disappointed in the hire no, but it is not a no-brainer higher. Better than year four of MM yes!

I would say Pitino can’t happen but who knows crazy crap happens all the time.

Leon Rice is interesting, but man it would be tough to swallow.

If Kidd brought Welch I would be happy, but not sure I want Kidd as coach. Just doesn’t feel right. Seriously, while Kidd would make a bigger splash I would rather have Welch as head coach. This not just a Tarkanian link either the guy can teach basketball.

I like the idea Mike Rhodes from VCU, the guy won 23 games at Rice!

I don’t understand the Matta love. Yes he has proven but he also was trending down the last few years at Ohio State. Would I be disappointed in the hire no, but it is not a no-brainer higher. Better than year four of MM yes!

I would say Pitino can’t happen but who knows crazy crap happens all the time.

Leon Rice is interesting, but man it would be tough to swallow.

If Kidd brought Welch I would be happy, but not sure I want Kidd as coach. Just doesn’t feel right. Seriously, while Kidd would make a bigger splash I would rather have Welch as head coach. This not just a Tarkanian link either the guy can teach basketball.

I like the idea Mike Rhodes from VCU, the guy won 23 games at Rice!

Matta coached and won at Butler and Xavier. He also coached Ohio St. to something like 7 1st place Big 10 finishes. Yeah he wasn't nearly as successful in the latter part of his tenure at OSU but he still has the best resume of any coaching candidate except for Pitino. Plus he's got none of Pitino's baggage.

Reactions: Vegas007
Besides his first few years at Ohio State he does not impress me. He also built those teams off local recruits. At Butler he carried on what Collier did, at Xavier he carried on what Skip Poser has built for two years with the third year disappointing until his elite eight run. Again he has a good track record but is he a good fit here and how is his health. To me he looks an awful lot like Rollie. Maybe that is me trying to find faults in the guy, but I just don’t see it as a slam dunk.

Besides his first few years at Ohio State he does not impress me. He also built those teams off local recruits. At Butler he carried on what Collier did, at Xavier he carried on what Skip Poser has built for two years with the third year disappointing until his elite eight run. Again he has a good track record but is he a good fit here and how is his health. To me he looks an awful lot like Rollie. Maybe that is me trying to find faults in the guy, but I just don’t see it as a slam dunk.

I have had the same concerns for what it is worth....[cheers]

Hire Pitino.

Unlv can regain their rightful status as the big dogs of the west. And Gozanga can go back to just being a hippie school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT