ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the future?

rebel5280

Rebel Legend
Feb 26, 2006
It looks like it was a pretty good weekend for the coach I wanted fired at season’s end but he has salvaged a nice start to recruiting. My question is what or should I say who is next… Sharp WKU, Allen SUU, Davis UCI or some mystery player yet to be named? I’ve heard about Dedan’s kid potentially being interested but I want to know about transfers with experience that we are interested in… Thoughts

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It looks like it was a pretty good weekend for the coach I wanted fired at season’s end but he has salvaged a nice start to recruiting. My question is what or should I say who is next… Sharp WKU, Allen SUU, Davis UCI or some mystery player yet to be named? I’ve heard about Dedan’s kid potentially being interested but I want to know about transfers with experience that we are interested in… Thoughts
IMO, it's interesting there hasn't been a PG. At least not mentioned. I'm not sure what to make of it. Could he be whiffing? Could our prize Freshman be more of a possibility than some believe?

Ok but is Dedan Jr going to be good enough to lead this team into the post season as a freshman? I seem to remember a few here, myself included wondering if Hicks could be trusted as a freshman? Shouldn’t we get a transfer like Allen or Davis?

Ok but is Dedan Jr going to be good enough to lead this team into the post season as a freshman? I seem to remember a few here, myself included wondering if Hicks could be trusted as a freshman? Shouldn’t we get a transfer like Allen or Davis?
Unless a player is the next coming of Derrick Rose, a freshmen pg is not going to lead a team to the ncaa’s, let alone a deep tourney run. So I agree with your take.

I agree that Dedan will not lead or carry us to the tourney himself but he's not here for that. He will be a steady ball handler, something that we didn't have last year.

Watched him in person a couple of times and he's a great player and his hs team doesn't have much talent. He will get even better in college with the pieces we have.

Yes... I'd expect them to bring in at least 2 more players, one to play Center and one as PG, outside a freshman... that also probably means a transfer out to open a scholarship

Btw I would love DJ Davis but he isn't a pure PG. He could run it if needed but I'd want him to do what he does best, which is score.

Not too sure about Allen. Haven't watched much film on him but I saw that there were a couple of differing opinions of him on here.

We probably also haven’t heard named publicly because if they think they have a shot at Dedan they have to make it seem to him he’s the only one they’re interested in. No point in announcing interest in other PGs, that would make not hurt the chances IMO

Btw I would love DJ Davis but he isn't a pure PG. He could run it if needed but I'd want him to do what he does best, which is score.

Not too sure about Allen. Haven't watched much film on him but I saw that there were a couple of differing opinions of him on here.
DJ Davis can score but I think he could give us both. I like Allen too, he’s taller and could give us a seasoned vet with the ball in his hands. I like the idea of that in those games when the clock is running down and your PG can either score or keep the ball moving and get it to a teammate in scoring position!

The future? Treading water as a 5-7 seed in the MW tournament... I do like the Vegas kids coming home though. So I hope the team does well, I just don't have any faith Kruger and staff can push the team over the hump.

The future? Treading water as a 5-7 seed in the MW tournament... I do like the Vegas kids coming home though. So I hope the team does well, I just don't have any faith Kruger and staff can push the team over the hump.
This is still the big question, isn’t it?!

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
Oh wow 5-7 seed? Who do you think will be for sure better than us?

Wyoming, AFA, and Colorado State for sure won't be. SJSU lost Omari so they won't be as good. Utah State lost Odom and their core. Nevada lost a lot and only has Blackshear back. Fresno State lost most of their core.

SDSU and Boise will still be at the top and UNM is reloading through the portal. I see us being 4th at worst.

I hope Lucas from UNR doesn’t return and goes pro (overseas).He’s their best player IMO, blackshear isn’t good in my eyes

Last edited:

Wyoming, AFA, and Colorado State for sure won't be. SJSU lost Omari so they won't be as good. Utah State lost Odom and their core. Nevada lost a lot and only has Blackshear back. Fresno State lost most of their core.

SDSU and Boise will still be at the top and UNM is reloading through the portal. I see us being 4th at worst.
I know you are stating an opinion just like the rest of us but I don’t like hedging. I’m tired of settling around here. We need to compete for 1st in the MWC not 4th, just my thoughts…. There is too much talent on this new squad and if they underachieve, we will know where to look!

I know you are stating an opinion just like the rest of us but I don’t like hedging. I’m tired of settling around here. We need to compete for 1st in the MWC not 4th, just my thoughts…. There is too much talent on this new squad and if they underachieve, we will know where to look!
I hella agree with you. We need to compete for 1st every year. I'm just saying there's no way we are 5-7 and if we somehow end up there, it's CKK's fault!

I hella agree with you. We need to compete for 1st every year. I'm just saying there's no way we are 5-7 and if we somehow end up there, it's CKK's fault!
Accountability... there's 2 NBA talents coming, there's a few solid pieces returning, there's a lot unknown... but you're absolutely right, there is no excuse, no settling at this point. It's year 3, you either show you can rise to the top or you get cut off...

Lol really??? Soooo you had us getting swept by both SJSU and Fresno last year? because they were predicted to be terrible. Predicting a bunch of unknowns at this point isn’t worth your time. They lost one non conference game and laid an egg when competition ramped up. On paper UNLV should have 6-8 MW conference championships but haven’t seen that. Until we have real tangible results that KK can steer this ship, I’d say it’s safe for most people to be skeptical.

Lol really??? Soooo you had us getting swept by both SJSU and Fresno last year? because they were predicted to be terrible. Predicting a bunch of unknowns at this point isn’t worth your time. They lost one non conference game and laid an egg when competition ramped up. On paper UNLV should have 6-8 MW conference championships but haven’t seen that. Until we have real tangible results that KK can steer this ship, I’d say it’s safe for most people to be skeptical.
I can't voice my opinion just like everyone else here?

I never said people can't be skeptical. I just asked who they thought would for sure be better than us. like I said, if we don't compete next year, it's CKK's fault. Ain't no way we should be in the middle of the pack in year 3. I'm actually not a fan of CKK but he is doing well in the portal right now and this is his shot to prove he's worthy of being a HC.

@lobbybuu what is the word on pharaoh Compton?
We are in a good spot for Pharaoh. He wants to play with Dedan in college, but it seems like his interest in us is genuine and would come even w/o Dedan. Watched him run with SFG last spring/summer and he was impressive. Relentless attacking the rim and can really rebound and contest shots. His jumper is improving.

I wasnt able to catch any games in person at AZ Compass so this summer will show a lot of his bag as he plays with 17U. Heard he has improved a lot. He is by far our top target in 2024 (assuming that Dedan reclassifies which seems like it'll happen) and CKK and staff need to show up to every tournament he plays in this summer.

Last edited:
He has a high motor. With BYU going to the Big12, I'd say they have the best chance. However, UNLV has a lot of visibility on CBS Sports for his family to see him and several games a year that are close to his home.

Lobbybuu, if Dedan is 2024, who do you think the staff has interest in now for PG and C? J. Sharp, DJ Davis, Drake Allen or someone else completely coming from out in left field recruiting-wise?

Lobbybuu, if Dedan is 2024, who do you think the staff has interest in now for PG and C? J. Sharp, DJ Davis, Drake Allen or someone else completely coming from out in left field recruiting-wise?
Dedan would reclassify to 2023.

They're definitely still interested in Allen. Haven't heard much on Davis or Sharp lately.

Not sure if Joe's comment is correct or not, but just looking at the portal players, and going to the Big 12 Centers still available (not committed), there are only 4 remaining, and if the Cisse ship has sailed, then only 3 others. If Boone is already coming here, then that only leaves 2 other listed centers from the Big 12.

Baylor: Zach Lovelady
TCU: Doumbia

Removed players as noted above
Okie St: Cisse
Okie St: Boone (they have him listed as C, not PF)

Reactions: rebel5280
Not sure if Joe's comment is correct or not, but just looking at the portal players, and going to the Big 12 Centers still available (not committed), there are only 4 remaining, and if the Cisse ship has sailed, then only 3 others. If Boone is already coming here, then that only leaves 2 other listed centers from the Big 12.

Baylor: Zach Lovelady
TCU: Doumbia

Removed players as noted above
Okie St: Cisse
Okie St: Boone (they have him listed as C, not PF)
I suppose it's possible that it could also be involving players that aren't officially in the portal yet, but I have no idea. Just putting out what I found regarding guys currently available.

Reactions: j. spilotro
True! But my question was who? If you have some potential names feel free to share, no need to state the obvious!
That was kind of a statement, question combo, but I will check out the transfer list and throw out a couple of names. I was disappointed to lose Gilbert, but imao me he was a off guard not a point guard

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT