Meet Max Gilliam

khokhol8

National Player of the Year
May 24, 2012
6_7957703.jpg

(Photo: 247Sports)

Inside the Rebels: Recruiting Report Max Gilliam
By MIKE MATSUMOTO Dec 15, 2017

UNLV earned the commitment of former four star quarterback, and Cal back up Max Gilliam. That's good news for the Rebels who were in need of another quarter back with college experience. Enter pass first quarterback Max Gilliam. At 6'3 205 Max has the arm ability to accurately air out the ball. He passed for 6,333 yards in high school with a 71.8% completion rate. His JUCO numbers were close in accuracy % in limited action. Max is not a pocket quarterback due to his lack of running ability. In situations where the pocket collapses, Max has the ability and the physicality to make something out of nothing. In high school Max also rushed for 1,291 yards over 25 games. There was a reason why he was highly sought after in high school by PAC12 teams such as Cal, Arizona, and UW. Without further ado, here is our interview with Max.

1. What motivates you to play football?

“I would say how much fun I have playing the games. I grew up with baseball, but I started football in high school. It’s a lot of fun when you’re doing good.”

2. What do you most enjoy about football?

“I would say the team aspect. You need all of the guys on the team to preform well. Without one guy on your team doing his job, it doesn’t work out well for you.”

3. What have been your major highlights/achievements in football?

“I had a really good high school career. I never got a fair opportunity at Cal after the coaching change. I earned the starting job at Saddleback, but I got hurt early in the second game. After that I was splitting time with the other quarterback since he was doing good. I didn’t have all of the stats I would have liked to have had in JUCO. I had a good game against Fullerton.”

4. How do you expect Coach Sanchez and UNLV to help you achieve your athletic goals?

“They are great coaches, I’ve heard a lot of good things from a lot of different people. After talking to them I got the sense that they are good coaches. I just want a place where I will be given a fair opportunity to compete and I think they will give me that. “

5. Have you had a chance to speak with Coach O’Dell and Armani Rogers?

“I have spoken to Coach O’Dell the most actually. I did have a chance to meet Armani really quick when I was on my visit. He seems like a cool guy, it was the first time I ever met him.”

6. What are your strengths as a player?

“I would say my strengths are taking care of the ball. I feel like I do a good job minimizing turnovers as much as possible. I would say my athletic ability allows me to extend plays when I need to. I would say I m a pocket passer that has good athleticism. But I would prefer to pass the ball and give it to our athletes.”

7.Besides baseball, did you participate in any other sport, recreation or fitness activities?

“Besides baseball I played basketball when I was in 6-8th grade on a travel team. I played baseball for 12 years including my first two years of high school. I played center field. All four years of football in high school. I love to play basketball, its good for conditioning, and I just have a lot of fun playing.”

8. How was your recruiting experience with UNLV?

8. How was your recruiting experience with UNLV?

“I would say that maybe a month or so ago, I saw that Coach Sanchez and Coach O’Dell followed me on twitter. That night, Coach Sanchez sent me a message. Then Coach O’Dell came down to Saddleback a couple of times. I went to dinner with them and had a great time. I really enjoyed my official visit. It looked like a place I would have a good college experience as a student athlete.”

9. What drew you to UNLV?

“I would say that just the fact that the coaches told me I would have the opportunity to jump in and compete for an opportunity right away.”

10. Did you max out last Spring and if so what are your weight room maxes?

“At JUCO we didn’t lift very much. At high school my max clean was 275. At Cal my max squat was 405. The last time I did a 40 was the summer before my senior year when I went to a Nike camp, it was a 4.62. I work with Steve Clarkson at his camp every year, and I think I threw 67 yards or so accurately. “

11. Who was the best Defense you have faced so far in your career and how did it change your game?
“The best defense I have ever faced by far was the defense in Cal. There defense improved so much when the new staff came in. The new staff got all of the right guys. The first year, the defense was not very good. Once they got the right guys on the field and changed up the scheme, they were really, really good. Practicing against them in the spring and in the summer helped me out a lot.”

12. Anything you would like to tell the fans?

“I am ready to come in and compete, I m excited to be a rebel, and I m excited for this upcoming season. I think we’re going to be really good.”

13. Finally, if all went to plan by the end of your senior season, what all will you have accomplished?

“We win the Mountain West every year, we beat Reno every year, and we win the bowl game we’re in every year.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT