ADVERTISEMENT

News Media Stories - UNLV Football

Just another sign that coach Sanchez gets it and will move the program in the right direction. Move quickly or get left in the re-alignment dust!

It's very clear that he gets it. Hauck only cared about the on field coaching and not the other aspects of the job, and he sucked at it.

I don't remember.. But did we try to recruit that SDSU running back.. That went to Canyon Springs? Or was he wanting to get out of town?

The Las Vegas Sun had two articles today. Most of it rehashed previous articles and not a lot of new stuff written.
What I did find interesting is that the season ticket total compared to last year is at 97% placing the sales around 3800 tickets sold to date. If the team struggles on the field this season, I really hope they have a backup marketing plan.
I know people disagree but its a major concern if they can't put butts in the seat this year in year one. The season is here now so we will see how it plays out.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/jul/27/unlv-football-poised-revival-coach-sanchez/

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/jul/27/so-what-has-coach-sanchez-changed-unlv/

Hasn't butts in seats been a concern for almost every coach that has come through UNLV? This isn't a new hurdle to climb.

It's very clear that he gets it. Hauck only cared about the on field coaching and not the other aspects of the job, and he sucked at it.
In Hauck's defense he came from a program in Montana where he did not have to compete for folks entertainment dollar. Grizzly football was the only gig in town. He already had an established fan base and didn't have to promote the program. I really do not think he realized the level of apathy and negativity that surrounded the program within the community and the university. Look at it this way after our first bowl season in forever, we couldn't even come close to selling out the next years home opener. Pretty sad statement about the community in general. This doesn't excuse him, I just don't think he realized how bad of shape the program was in.

Sanchez hired an experienced staff and is tackling all of the other parts of the job. Living in Vegas he has seen first hand all of the issues surrounding the program and is taking them head on.

The Las Vegas Sun had two articles today. Most of it rehashed previous articles and not a lot of new stuff written.
What I did find interesting is that the season ticket total compared to last year is at 97% placing the sales around 3800 tickets sold to date. If the team struggles on the field this season, I really hope they have a backup marketing plan.
I know people disagree but its a major concern if they can't put butts in the seat this year in year one. The season is here now so we will see how it plays out.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/jul/27/unlv-football-poised-revival-coach-sanchez/

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/jul/27/so-what-has-coach-sanchez-changed-unlv/
Will-

Putting butts in seats has been an issue for every single coach at UNLV including Robinson to some degree. You said yourself that winning would help bring people into the stadium. It would help but in last years home opener after our first bowl season in countless years, the attendance was pretty pathetic.

Coach Sanchez is already working angles that Hauck and other coaches didn't try. Holding a practice at Nellis Air Force base for the troops to attend is a fantastic move. Great publicity for the team and tapping into a potential fan base Hauck and Sanford never attempted to pursue.

Sanchez has been in the public eye far more than Hauck or Sanford. And while initial season ticket numbers aren't great we are still over a month away from the season and already at 97% of previous years season tickets.

Winning will help and more than likely wins will be hard to come by year one and year two. I am more concerned with recruiting and bringing talent into the program. Even you have to admit if you include the transfers that will be eligible next year, along with the players already committed for next year we are headed in the right direction. Already ranked with 5th best class in the MWC. When has that ever happened. Without having coached his first game at the Division 1 level Sanchez has already put together a pretty strong class for next year. Another 2-10 season is not going to hurt that momentum. I will go so far as to say that even if the team were somehow able to pull off a 6-6 season the attendance would not increase exponentially next year. It will take 2 or 3 years of improvement to get this city to buy in.

We've ask seen it and said it, now Seniors are saying it from the inside. Amazing what the right person can do. After helping open up the Cosmopolitan, I can attest how powerful the developing and establishing a culture can be.

Can these guys win more than 2 games? I'm starting to believe so. Likely not a .500 season but not as bad as all the prognosticators are predicting.

http://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2015/aug/08/unlvs-seniors-optimistic-new-energy-can-lead-quick/

I try to be the type of fan who views their team from the outside. I try not to get caught up in the hype surrounding certain players or coaches. From the start I have thought that this was a team that was looking at another 2 win season with a high water mark of 4 wins. But the more you read from and see regarding Coach Sanchez it is getting harder and harder not to wear the Scarlet covered glasses. I still think this is a 2-4 win season but I will be less surprised now if we surpass that mark.

Really like the direction this guy is going and think he is finally selling UNLV and Las Vegas the way it should have been all along.

Criswell doesn't get mentioned much in the mix but he'll be an important weapon this season. He's quick and can spring a big play on occasion. Obviously opponents will be doubling Boyd a lot so that should open up plays for others. If Criswell can become a strong downfield blocker and find ways to get open he'll be a huge asset. I think he's a player who hasn't quite reached his full potential yet so hopefully he takes advantage of this season. The team needs him to perform.

The big take away from that article was how the starting offensive line played pretty much the entire game. Perhaps that contributed to some fatigue on the RT's part. I wonder if the same was true of the D-Line. I bet there will be a few more lineman see some playing time in the weeks to come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT