ADVERTISEMENT

LV college & pro sports: My question

Sonny44

All American
Jan 23, 2010
Getting it off my chest. I've been on this board ever since Bobby Hauck came from MT to coach at UNLV. Altho I settled in Henderson not because of only that, as a sports fan, I've followed the Rebels, and have decided that football, at least, is not valued by Las Vegans. And yet, I have the suspicion that maybe LV is not a good sports town, despite the gambling interest located, here.

OK, here it goes. I will not be surprised if the Golden Knights never make the playoffs. I will not be surprised, when the Raiders come here, that they will not be the team of the past. I know it's simplistic, but to me, it's ironical that teams in "the gambling capital of the world" will not perform. I base all this on the UNLV football experience.

The problem w/ LV is that it's all hype. LV is not a national sports town at the college/pro level. It has never been and never will be. Still, I have hopes for the Knights, the Raiders, and the Rebs, as well. I still support building the Raiders Stadium. Yet, at 80, I'm sure the agony will go long past my demise.

Reactions: Catmstr
I am a bit skeptical about the Golden Knights. I don't see it as a good fit. The Thunder did pretty well back in the day in a lower league, and there are a lot of mid west transplants that are hockey fans. But they have a long season, LV is a small market, and Hockey typically struggles in southern states.

But the NFL is a different animal. The NFL is king of all sports, and there are a lot of sports fans in Vegas. There is a designated bar in the Valley for every freaking NFL franchise, and several have multiple.

I think the Raiders will do fine. They are already a playoff caliber team full of young stars. They should still be pretty good by the time they move.

Now I do become doubtful if they struggle. Vegas historically only supports winners. But there seems to be plenty of SoCal fans willing to support the Raiders too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT