ADVERTISEMENT

Lol pt2

D

Deleted member 308

Why are you trying to field a punt behind the 10 yard line.

Fire Sanchez. Let’s get a new shmuck in there so Des can rump up donation begging with the same old empty promises..

Just the like the kick off we took at the five. You can now fair catch and get 25. But our team is not aware of it.

And we just took another at the 15.

The muffed punt was a big mistake... but I don't mind him fielding it. He just misjudged it/used back technique. The "don't catch anything inside the 10 yard line" is old school thought and isn't followed by many today. The cut off is usually closer to the 6 yard line or so. Presley's mistake was in misjudging the ball, and then trying to catch the ball at helmet level rather than at his chest. Arkansas had a bunch of dudes back there. If he let's it go, it likely gets downed inside the 5. Poor execution, not blaming coach on that one.

And yes, you CAN fair catch a kickoff... but it's certainly not mandatory or even an accepted best practice.

I will say that there is one coaching decision that I disagree with, although I can see the logic behind it. With 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, we scored a touchdown and went up 20-19. We went for 2 and failed. I've heard it said that in football you should never chase points until you have to. I understand that by making the 2PC you go up 3 and a FG for Arkansas would tie the game rather than win it. But Arkansas was the team that dug themselves in the hole. They missed their PAT, and we had stopped one two point conversion already. We let them off the hook by going for 2.

In the end, Arkansas scored a TD to go up by 5 and went for 2 to get to 27-20. But if we had just kicked the PAT the most they could have been up was 6. IMO it changes the mentality of the game when a team has a 7 point lead rather than 6 or 5. Being down 7, the best thing we could hope for was tying the game late and going to OT, rather than them worrying that we could get a TD and PAT for the win.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but even at the time, I think it was the wrong play. Again, don't chase points til you have to. Take the sure thing. Don't let them off the hook when they have left 2 points off the board with a botched PAT and failed 2PC.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
The muffed punt was a big mistake... but I don't mind him fielding it. He just misjudged it/used back technique. The "don't catch anything inside the 10 yard line" is old school thought and isn't followed by many today. The cut off is usually closer to the 6 yard line or so. Presley's mistake was in misjudging the ball, and then trying to catch the ball at helmet level rather than at his chest. Arkansas had a bunch of dudes back there. If he let's it go, it likely gets downed inside the 5. Poor execution, not blaming coach on that one.

And yes, you CAN fair catch a kickoff... but it's certainly not mandatory or even an accepted best practice.

I will say that there is one coaching decision that I disagree with, although I can see the logic behind it. With 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, we scored a touchdown and went up 20-19. We went for 2 and failed. I've heard it said that in football you should never chase points until you have to. I understand that by making the 2PC you go up 3 and a FG for Arkansas would tie the game rather than win it. But Arkansas was the team that dug themselves in the hole. They missed their PAT, and we had stopped one two point conversion already. We let them off the hook by going for 2.

In the end, Arkansas scored a TD to go up by 5 and went for 2 to get to 27-20. But if we had just kicked the PAT the most they could have been up was 6. IMO it changes the mentality of the game when a team has a 7 point lead rather than 6 or 5. Being down 7, the best thing we could hope for was tying the game late and going to OT, rather than them worrying that we could get a TD and PAT for the win.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but even at the time, I think it was the wrong play. Again, don't chase points til you have to. Take the sure thing. Don't let them off the hook when they have left 2 points off the board with a botched PAT and failed 2PC.

Hey I love 20/20 hind sight. Makes me smarter than the next guy. :cheers2::cheers2:

Reactions: Sam-I-am
I'm sticking with Sanchez. He's the right guy. Who is out there that UNLV can afford that will perform better than him? Who?

We've won one more game every year under him. Trending in the right direction. I think you hang on to him until after you get in the new stadium and see where he can take us.

I'm higher on Sanchez than I am on Menzies right now.

I think CMM & CTS are the right men for the job. Haven’t seen too many people with Tony’s enthusiasm and his ability to put together a solid program & acquire the necessary resources for a good D-1 program.

As for CMM I think many have inaccurately described the incoming fresmen as his 3’rd recruiting class. Hogwash. It is his second recruiting class. The first yesr was just picking up leftovers that he would never recruit unless he finds himself back in Mexico. I liken him to Kruger with better recruiting and less golfing.

Is anyone LOLing now?
It's going to be interesting to see how this thread ages.

All you can do is laugh.

I told anyone who would listen that Amari was going to be injured for a good portion of the season. The way Sanchez plays him and encourages him to take hits it was guaranteed to happen.

I also predicted that Sanchez would sabotage whoever the backup is, to make sure Amari stays the starter. I expect Max will announce his transfer shortly.

The season ain’t over untill every qb on the roster has confidence issues.

All you can do is laugh.

I told anyone who would listen that Amari was going to be injured for a good portion of the season. The way Sanchez plays him and encourages him to take hits it was guaranteed to happen.

I also predicted that Sanchez would sabotage whoever the backup is, to make sure Amari stays the starter. I expect Max will announce his transfer shortly.

The season ain’t over untill every qb on the roster has confidence issues.
Man... that's a weighty accusation there. I don't know Coach Sanchez personally, but I can't imagine he's dumb enough to "sabotage" Gilliam/Oblad. I don't see it.

Coach Sanchez has to know that he can't afford a step back. Some coaches take over a program and seem to ignite them instantly to a winning record and change of culture. I think UNLV's history of awfulness puts us in a different boat than most programs, and Sanchez can hang his hat on slow and steady improvement. 3 wins, 4 wins, 5 wins ...

Sabotaging quarterbacks probably means sabotaging the season. Would he really do that? Count me in as one who is absolutely fine with the slow and steady approach. But that implies that you are filling the roster with quality talent and depth. By taking it slow, you can't rely on an excuse that your star/starting QB went down. Have a backup. Or multiple capable backups. Having backups that can come in and lead you to victories is a sign of a good, steady program.

I hope we are there and ready.

He has his mind set up. Don't try to say anything otherwise.

Sanchez promised Rogers all the PT he wants regardless of performance. Rogers will never be able to pass.

Nevermind past performances. Good reports from camp.

Same thing with Menzies and McCoy. Sabotaged the season to get him minutes. Nevermind he was only one of few players that could get a bucket on the team.

Rogers has been mostly bad as a passer this season. He has been brilliant as a runner. Its Sanchez's ass on the line. He is not going to sabotage the team in any way. Rogers has the highest ceiling on the team. Its hard to argue against that. Is he willing to take lumps in order to develop him? Sure.

Gilliam probably wont toss it all over the field because that isn't our offense. Especially getting 2 weeks to really prepare. He will probably use that as "evidence" of sabotage. Or any result that isnt overwhelmingly positive with Max at QB.

Man... that's a weighty accusation there. I don't know Coach Sanchez personally, but I can't imagine he's dumb enough to "sabotage" Gilliam/Oblad. I don't see it.

Coach Sanchez has to know that he can't afford a step back. Some coaches take over a program and seem to ignite them instantly to a winning record and change of culture. I think UNLV's history of awfulness puts us in a different boat than most programs, and Sanchez can hang his hat on slow and steady improvement. 3 wins, 4 wins, 5 wins ...

Sabotaging quarterbacks probably means sabotaging the season. Would he really do that? Count me in as one who is absolutely fine with the slow and steady approach. But that implies that you are filling the roster with quality talent and depth. By taking it slow, you can't rely on an excuse that your star/starting QB went down. Have a backup. Or multiple capable backups. Having backups that can come in and lead you to victories is a sign of a good, steady program.

I hope we are there and ready.

I’m being hyperbolic. But the reality is that Sanchez’s number one always gets hurt, and his number two always comes in and performs well breathing life into a struggling team.

A couple weeks later, the number 2 is shell of his former self just in time for the number 1 to return.

Shortly after that the QB transfers or switches to defense as they feel they didn’t/aren’ getting a fair shake.

All coaches have their guys. I think Sanchez gives his guys more room to make/survive mistakes. Stanton was given a short leash while Amari was allowed to learn on the job. And it has an effect on the players and team.

Max isnt going to set the world on fire. I suspect he will struggle more and more untill Amari returns. And I don’t think we are going bowling. Weather Sanchez gets fired is up to Des.

You are grasping at straws- CTS wants to win. Period. No one player will change that. Take your conspiracies to... IDK, wherever conspiracy theories go.

Reactions: ricovegas
I’m being hyperbolic. But the reality is that Sanchez’s number one always gets hurt, and his number two always comes in and performs well breathing life into a struggling team.

A couple weeks later, the number 2 is shell of his former self just in time for the number 1 to return.

Shortly after that the QB transfers or switches to defense as they feel they didn’t/aren’ getting a fair shake.

All coaches have their guys. I think Sanchez gives his guys more room to make/survive mistakes. Stanton was given a short leash while Amari was allowed to learn on the job. And it has an effect on the players and team.

Max isnt going to set the world on fire. I suspect he will struggle more and more untill Amari returns. And I don’t think we are going bowling. Weather Sanchez gets fired is up to Des.

Sample size is just too small to see any kind of trend that way. If it happens to go that way then you may be on to something. But a coach sabotaging his QBs is a coach sabotaging his own career, and CTS is too smart for that.

Go Rebels!

Reactions: ricovegas
We don't need a QB to throw it all over the field. We need one that can hit the short/intermediate passes 15-20 times a game.

Reactions: 1Tripoda

Or how about a new QB comes in and does well because there isn't much film on him? Defenses adjust and the QB/offense can't overcome since the back up is you know, a back up for a reason?
It happens everywhere. All the time.

Sanchez' role in this is very important but not absolute. Max has the opportunity to come in tomorrow and make plays. I can see no reason for CTS to undermine Max in any overt way. If the other ten guys on offense do their jobs, and Max does his job, the offense will be fine.

If for some reason, Max comes in and is afraid of making a mistake instead of being confident that he can make good reads and passes, we are doomed, doomed, doomed.

I will remain optimistic until all hope is lost!!

Or how about a new QB comes in and does well because there isn't much film on him? Defenses adjust and the QB/offense can't overcome since the back up is you know, a back up for a reason?
It happens everywhere. All the time.

Then explain the Stanton situation. There was plenty of game film from his JR campaign at UNLV. He got yanked the first chance Snachez got. Sanchez even gave snaps to Amarni against Hawaii while Stanton had the starter position just to send a message to Stanton that he was just renting and not to get too comfortable.

Whatever reason you can produce for yanking Stanton, can be used to absolutely show why Armari should also have been yanked at different times in either season.

Then explain the Stanton situation. There was plenty of game film from his JR campaign at UNLV. He got yanked the first chance Snachez got. Sanchez even gave snaps to Amarni against Hawaii while Stanton had the starter position just to send a message to Stanton that he was just renting and not to get too comfortable.

Whatever reason you can produce for yanking Stanton, can be used to absolutely show why Armari should also have been yanked at different times in either season.

I remember the passing game was better with Stanton, but the running game took a big hit. You know the bread and butter of this offense?

Kind of similar to last week's game?

It wasn't so cut and dry. Sure parts of the passing offense looked better under Stanton, but we also could not run the ball as effectively .

And If things are near even, you go with developing the guy that has the potential to be the future of the program. Not the senior JC guy, who also was helping the team in other ways.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT