ADVERTISEMENT

If you look at the box score

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
UNLV pretty much dominated the game.

100 more total yards. More 1st downs. Had the edge in 3rd down conversions.

This loss stings a lot.

Come out after halftime leading by 10. Get a quick three and out. Chance to add to lead and possibly go up by 3 scores, and put all kinds of pressure on Fresno.

Muffed punt. Gives Fresno a short field.

Maiava with a bad interception. Gives Fresno a short field.
Jet fumbles (Allegedly) giving Fresno another short field.

Had a shot to tie (possibly go for two and the win) and a sure TD is dropped.

I have confidence in this staff to get the guys refocused but that can be a tough loss to come back from.

Until that third quarter I thought that was the best they had played all season.

Still the the AF game will be a tough one. A lot more confident in their chances against Wyoming and San Jose.

Last edited:
It's going to be really interesting to see how the team responds. Their destiny is still mostly in their hands. It looks to me like if they Win out and they'll be in the Championship game with a possibility of getting back at Fresno.

UNLV pretty much dominated the game.

100 more total yards. More 1st downs. Had the edge in 3rd down conversions.

This loss stings a lot.

Come out after halftime leading by 10. Get a quick three and out. Chance to add to lead and possibly go up by 3 scores, and put all kinds of pressure on Fresno.

Muffed punt. Gives Fresno a short field.

Maiava with a bad interception. Gives Fresno a short field.
Jet fumbles (Allegedly) giving Fresno another short field.

Had a shot to tie (possibly go for two and the win) and a sure TD is dropped.

I have confidence in this staff to get the guys refocused but that can be a tough loss to come back from.

Until that third quarter I thought that was the best they had played all season.

Still the the AF game will be a tough one. A lot more confident in their chances against Wyoming and San Jose.
It stings because even without the stats the eyeball test told you we were definitely the better team. And beating AF will be a lot more difficult. But I think this team has a decent shot to beat them. They are tough and don’t quit.

On the bright side I am happy for the future we finally have a QB! Looking forward to what this kid can do we have him three more seasons (convincing myself of this)!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Yes, as others have pointed out this one hurt badly because we were absolutely the better team and had complete control of this game before the nonsense.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Despite the loss, and that AWFUL 3rd quarter, I actually came away quite impressed with our team last night. Going in you wondered whether or not they could go toe to toe with the upper echelon of the conference and they did. Could have mailed it in after falling behind 31-17, but battled back with 2 different opportunities to tie it up.

Certainly there is a lot that they need to improve upon. For the 2nd straight game, the running game really couldn’t get going. Definitely need to execute near the goal line better and need to take care of the ball better. But based on where we are at now and with the schedule remaining, I do think 8/9 wins are achievable.

No doubt, this loss hurts. Reason it hurts is because we were clearly the better team last night against a conference favorite at their place. It hurts even more because we are legitimately in contention to make the conference championship game (in late October).

My hope is that this game ends up serving as a mid season “reset”. That the team uses this missed opportunity as motivation to go kick some ass in the remaining 4 games. Opportunity is still out there to make some history for the program.

It seems like the pieces are there. Defense is playing well overall. Scheme is getting better and tackling has been so solid. Hopefully the loss of Baldwin doesn’t cost us too much down the road.

Offense is humming. The run game has slowed down a bit, but that has a lot to do with how defenses are playing against us. Maiava is a real threat and you can’t shake the guy. The INT he threw in the 3rd was bad. Didn’t let it bother him. He took care of business in the 4th and 99 times out of 100 he brought us back from down 2 td’s on the road to at least tie the game, if not win it.

Reactions: Rebels_88
Despite the loss, and that AWFUL 3rd quarter, I actually came away quite impressed with our team last night. Going in you wondered whether or not they could go toe to toe with the upper echelon of the conference and they did. Could have mailed it in after falling behind 31-17, but battled back with 2 different opportunities to tie it up.

Certainly there is a lot that they need to improve upon. For the 2nd straight game, the running game really couldn’t get going. Definitely need to execute near the goal line better and need to take care of the ball better. But based on where we are at now and with the schedule remaining, I do think 8/9 wins are achievable.

What's funny is despite running game feeling like it struggled still went for 156 yards...Just fewer explosive runs.

What's funny is despite running game feeling like it struggled still went for 156 yards...Just fewer explosive runs.
Fresno made that key tackle late, thought he was going to get into the end zone. Ended up being really key since we couldn’t convert.

Defense played well enough. Offense did too, sans turnovers.

To me, one that tends to be more harsh on the Rebels, we were the better team. By quite a bit. But that alone doesn’t get you the W, obviously.

We are 2-1 in games down to the wire, 0-1 in a never going to win, 4-0 in games you should win. From a macro view; that’s fine. From the narrow view of just last night, it sucks.

Should be an easy bounce back... UNM just got beat by UNR...

I kind of expect us to have out way next weekend with New Mexico and then we face Wyoming in a critical game for conference standings.. win and there's still a shot at playing in the MWC title game. Wyoming just got beat by Boise and I'm not sure what their strength is... they've lost 2 straight against heart of the conference schedule and get a CSU team that's so up and down its hard to tell...

Fresno made that key tackle late, thought he was going to get into the end zone. Ended up being really key since we couldn’t convert.

Defense played well enough. Offense did too, sans turnovers.

To me, one that tends to be more harsh on the Rebels, we were the better team. By quite a bit. But that alone doesn’t get you the W, obviously.

We are 2-1 in games down to the wire, 0-1 in a never going to win, 4-0 in games you should win. From a macro view; that’s fine. From the narrow view of just last night, it sucks.

I thought the defense was fantastic 1st half and fourth quarter. Held Fresno to just over 300 yards of offense.

Told me that before game I would have said W.

Third quarter had to defend short fields on three consecutive possessions. Never got a break.

I thought the defense was fantastic 1st half and fourth quarter. Held Fresno to just over 300 yards of offense.

Told me that before game I would have said W.

Third quarter had to defend short fields on three consecutive possessions. Never got a break.
I want to really pound UNM into submission, put Gonzales' head on the chopping block (maybe him and Arroyo can go out drinking together, he's a garbage coach, that he was a finalist here with Arroyo says how lame our AD was) .... get back to winning and then a big game against Wyoming which will be tough. Win that one, you're still setting up a huge game vs AFA. I really don't expect to win that one.

Finish with SJSU, which I know their record sucks, but it will be tough. But if things go our way, it's going to be one hell of a Thanksgiving and we can figure out what bowl we are headed to.

I want to really pound UNM into submission, put Gonzales' head on the chopping block (maybe him and Arroyo can go out drinking together, he's a garbage coach, that he was a finalist here with Arroyo says how lame our AD was) .... get back to winning and then a big game against Wyoming which will be tough. Win that one, you're still setting up a huge game vs AFA. I really don't expect to win that one.

Finish with SJSU, which I know their record sucks, but it will be tough. But if things go our way, it's going to be one hell of a Thanksgiving and we can figure out what bowl we are headed to.

Disagree on Gonzales a little. He's a good defensive mind. Its lack of talent and facilities. People think UNLV is a tough job, UNM floated dropping football a while back. Seriously imagine trying to recruit to Albuquerque.

New Mexico has a small population. Not enough top end talent. And their best players are probably getting poached to Arizona or Texas. Basically anywhere but New Mexico.

I honestly don't think anybody will be able to turn that program around.

He may be better suited as a DC.

UNM didn't know how good they had it with Rocky Long. Who went out with a similiar Sanford style rant.

It says a lot about what we are seeing with Odom, that we are actually expecting to win games.

Reactions: j. spilotro

UNM - we should beat. Have to come back from the tough loss and return to form (win TO margin and convert in the redzone)

WYO - They should represent well in Vegas. They looked strong early in the year, but as of late, not so much. They also have been a different team on the road vs at home. This will be a good game, may be similar to the CSU game.

AFA - Obviously the toughest game remaining on the schedule. Will have to play our absolute best game in order to knock them off. Maybe we can repeat our performance in 2013 when we played them in 0 degree weather and took them out to become bowl eligible, but I'm doubtful at this point.

SJSU - They are placing higher than us in many power ratings. They've played a much tougher schedule, both non-con and in-conference. They will be tough to beat, but if all goes well with the three games leading up, this will be a game with a whole lot of meaning. If so, the atmosphere should be good.

It's going to be really interesting to see how the team responds. Their destiny is still mostly in their hands. It looks to me like if they Win out and they'll be in the Championship game with a possibility of getting back at Fresno.
Would love to see it..

Go 3-1, you make MWC title game...
It's that clear...
Either way, this program is fundamentally changing before our eyes. We were 2 plays away from winning vs Fresno despite 3 TOs and 24 straight points surrendered.. past UNLV programs would've allowed that to turn into a 20-30 point loss.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Go 3-1, you make MWC title game...
It's that clear...
Either way, this program is fundamentally changing before our eyes. We were 2 plays away from winning vs Fresno despite 3 TOs and 24 straight points surrendered.. past UNLV programs would've allowed that to turn into a 20-30 point loss.
Going 3-1 will put us in contention, but going to need help from others in order to get to the CCG

We would almost have to win out to guarantee a spot in the championship game. One more loss and we could still be in contention, but would need help otherwise.
Fresno is almost guaranteed with one loss and the easier schedule the rest of the way compared to the other contenders.
Our Air Force game could be big for both teams.
Boise could play spoiler and could sneak in too if they start to get rolling.

I don’t k kw FSU’s remaining schedule but I wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped a game.

They don't play air force this year. They still have Boise, sjsu, sdsu, and unm.
There's 2 losses in there... SDSU is a rivalry game and will be tough no matter how bad SDSU has been... the Boise game might be an eliminator for either team

We would almost have to win out to guarantee a spot in the championship game. One more loss and we could still be in contention, but would need help otherwise.
Fresno is almost guaranteed with one loss and the easier schedule the rest of the way compared to the other contenders.
Our Air Force game could be big for both teams.
Boise could play spoiler and could sneak in too if they start to get rolling.
"We would almost have to win out to guarantee a spot in the championship game."

This. And it is possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT