ADVERTISEMENT

Legend of Richie Adams

Anyone remember 1983? I was only 7 years old and lived in Millington TN at the time.

Music wise, life wise basketball wise..it must have been fantastic.

What stuck out for you?

Ran into this on youtube today. 6 minutes, lots of good unlv highlights. If he had his head screwed on right in 1983 that team would have been National Champs.

Legend of Richie Adams
Having Richie certainly would have helped to an extent, but between Sid, Brozovich, Anderson, John Copeland they had enough size.

What ruined that teams chances was when Eldridge Hudson got injured against Utah at the beginning of the year. I would not go so far as to say he was the second coming of Magic, but he had similar skill set prior to the injury.

He brought something no one else on the roster had and could not be replaced. They would have had a deep run in 82-83 had Hudson not gotten hurt

Not sure. But there aren’t many size 13 feet around.

I’ve had a size 13 since 8th grade. I was shorter then than now but I’m only 6’1” not 6’8. Back then I don’t remember but was probably 5’9” with size 13, luckily I grew into them.

13 is very common now I can always find my size. But in 8th grade I didn’t get a lot of shoes I wanted because I couldn’t find my size.

I’ve had a size 13 since 8th grade. I was shorter then than now but I’m only 6’1” not 6’8. Back then I don’t remember but was probably 5’9” with size 13, luckily I grew into them.

13 is very common now I can always find my size. But in 8th grade I didn’t get a lot of shoes I wanted because I couldn’t find my size.
I relate to this! Back in the day, 13 was an unlucky size for the shoes you wanted, always seemed to be out of stock. Not so much now though.

Reactions: RebelScrub

Depends what brand.

Today, Everyone has Nikes so they are universal and are the standard fit. Adidas shoes usually run big and they are a size or in some cases a half size larger. I have one pair of Under Armours which is a crappy basketball shoe…no cushion no nothing, Curry 2’s.

I’m actually a size 8.5 dress shoes.

He looks and sounds a lot better than I expected. Half expected him to be found pushing a grocery cart full of his belongings or dead. Him bringing up playing with Walter Berry brings back memories of the incredible rivalries the Big East had during the 80's between Georgetown, Syracuse, and St. John's. Sports Illustrated had a hard-on for anything Big East Basketball back then.

So many good players in the 80’s and 90’s Big East DeHere, Washington, Berry, Mullins, Ewing, Coleman, Moten, Jackson, Marshall, Owens, Smith, Bell and Pinckney and soooo many more!

look at the comment section. The dude is outta jail.

Someone should do an interview with him.

(Looks at self)

So many good players in the 80’s and 90’s Big East DeHere, Washington, Berry, Mullins, Ewing, Coleman, Moten, Jackson, Marshall, Owens, Smith, Bell and Pinckney and soooo many more!
I actually think that both pro and college basketball were at their golden age in the 80’s. Maybe it’s because of my age at the time and you tend to romanticize things from your youth, but very few transfers, 4 and 5 year players, teams grew together … coaches had more hands on time with players for individual improvement, which lead to far better fundamentals … they didn’t seem like teenagers either, they appeared much more mentally mature. It just made for some really good basketball, imo.

As for the pros, I loved Dr J … and they were in the mix in the 80’s of course, so were the Rockets … and I wasn’t a Laker or especially a Celtics fan … but yeah, really liked NBA playoff basketball back then. Some classic clashes, a contrast of styles …

I actually think that both pro and college basketball were at their golden age in the 80’s. Maybe it’s because of my age at the time and you tend to romanticize things from your youth, but very few transfers, 4 and 5 year players, teams grew together … coaches had more hands on time with players for individual improvement, which lead to far better fundamentals … they didn’t seem like teenagers either, they appeared much more mentally mature. It just made for some really good basketball, imo.

As for the pros, I loved Dr J … and they were in the mix in the 80’s of course, so were the Rockets … and I wasn’t a Laker or especially a Celtics fan … but yeah, really liked NBA playoff basketball back then. Some classic clashes, a contrast of styles …
For me, many things were at their Golden Age in the 80's. Of course, for my dad, many things were at their Golden Age in the 50's.

Showtime Lakers, Halfcourt Brilliant Celtics, Prison Rules Pistons, Pick-n-Roll Jazz, and Run-n-Gun Nuggets...loved that teams had different styles and personalities versus the generic forgettable style that's played today. This followed to the college game with the Rebels, Hoyas, Sooners, Razorbacks, and yeah even the Bluedevils. I was watching the Kentucky-Louisville game this past weekend and couldn't stomach more than about 4 minutes before I went back to work. Horrible product.

I remember when we went to New York and after the game a bunch of us came back on the subway.
You had size 13 brown suede or leather dress shoes on and stomped in a puddle getting your size 13's and pant leg wet. I thought your wife was going to kill you she was pissed off. Tammy and I cracked up, cuz you just laughed off. Cheers.

Reactions: rebswin2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT