ADVERTISEMENT

Ken Wilson unr is out

With all their Northern Nevada money do we have to them poaching our coaches?

Nope. There was an interview with Norvell about why he left Reno. Basically he said UNR has enough money to support football or basketball but not both. They are behind basketball right now.

Not sure if there were some bad feelings and he was trying to look like the good guy.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Boise hiring Interim. I know they beat us, but I'm not sure this is an impact hire for Boise and I'm not sure the fan base will know how to react... He basically got players to rally for 3 games and doubt he would've been on any radars for coaching positions. I know you take advantage of opportunities that you're given but....

Reactions: AA Insider
He has been there for a long time. He has somewhat earned it
Boise could go out and a get a pretty good coach, but not sure how much money they have to spend. This would likely be cheaper

How much is BSU’s coach paid? Isn’t Odom the highest paid coach in MWC? I’m wondering what the draw is to Boise for recruits? Winning yes, that’s huge. Beyond that, what? Playing on a blue field???

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt
How much is BSU’s coach paid? Isn’t Odom the highest paid coach in MWC? I’m wondering what the draw is to Boise for recruits? Winning yes, that’s huge. Beyond that, what? Playing on a blue field???
It used to be name value/national brand or appearances... big teams used to schedule them based on their performances... I just don't see that being the case anymore.

Craig Bohl is currently the highest. Odom is I think second. I guess he had an extension after Odom was hired

Craig Bohl is currently the highest. Odom is I think second. I guess he had an extension after Odom was hired
The way salary is reported it often includes bonuses. In Bohl's case the salary you might find reflects a huge six figure retention bonus which in total put him way over his base. Even Odom's salary as has been listed in one of those usatoday articles included his allowance for moving expenses. As of the beginning of the season Odom was and may still be the highest paid coach from looking at just his base salary. People like to measure diks so they will use whatever number suits them.

Looks like Reno hiring the LB coach from Texas... I dont know much about him. But hes a former FCS coach, and has been around some form of assistant coach at several schools.

Looks like Reno hiring the LB coach from Texas... I dont know much about him. But hes a former FCS coach, and has been around some form of assistant coach at several schools.
Jeff Choates? He was a finalist for the reno HC job last opening but, they went with Wilson. Former head coach at Montana State. I guess they just dusted off the old applications and found him still available. More than likely in the same low salary range.

Choate is a very good coach. Great hire by them. Unr has some very big limitations but he’s the real deal.

Boise hiring Interim. I know they beat us, but I'm not sure this is an impact hire for Boise and I'm not sure the fan base will know how to react... He basically got players to rally for 3 games and doubt he would've been on any radars for coaching positions. I know you take advantage of opportunities that you're given but....

Surprised by this as well. Players really liked him. But that's not a reason to make the hire or switch.

Surprised by this as well. Players really liked him. But that's not a reason to make the hire or switch.
Up here in Bronco Nation I'm seeing both kinds of reactions: "Why did they hire him? He's not ready." and "How could they not hire him? He's earned it." Most everyone agreed that if he won out that he'd probably get the job, tho. He had such overwhelming support from the players, present and past, and as much as AD Dickey said he had to divorce himself from emotion in this decision, he couldn't totally ignore it, either. About a week after Avalos was sacked, Danielson had three 2024 commits to Avalos' one, which is crazy for an interim. Beating UCLA would be a huge step in putting his stamp on things. For a guy who came in as a GA, he climbed pretty fast. So, BSU has cast the dice. We'll see if they come up snake eyes. They have such a strong culture up there that I think he'll be okay. Maybe not great, but okay.

Last edited:
MWC coaching Carousel...
Wyoming HC steps down
UNM hiring Bronco Mendenhall...
That might be best hire of cycle although I doubt he gets sane quality of player he got to BYU, lol

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
For Bronco to come out of retirement, this is an odd choice. He started at UNM and has a big history there, but I imagine if he would have known Wyoming was going to open up today he’d probably pursue that job instead.

I think he’s currently living in WY…maybe it was Montana? Pull a Chris Bird????

It’s a good hire. He’ll bring them out of the bottom, but I doubt he’ll get them to the top. He was able to win, a little, at Virginia. That’s a tough thing to do

For Bronco to come out of retirement, this is an odd choice. He started at UNM and has a big history there, but I imagine if he would have known Wyoming was going to open up today he’d probably pursue that job instead.

I think he’s currently living in WY…maybe it was Montana? Pull a Chris Bird????

It’s a good hire. He’ll bring them out of the bottom, but I doubt he’ll get them to the top. He was able to win, a little, at Virginia. That’s a tough thing to do

If he goes .500 over the next 5 years he will have done an excellent job there.

And that isn't intended to be snark.

It's that tough of a job.

Reactions: reagan21
Definitely a tough job.. Hrs not going to get nearly the same level of players he was getting at BYU or Virginia. But solid hire out of the 5 openings this offseason

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Interesting choice. I understand continuity since they regularly go to bowls under Bohl but they never seemed to be able to get to the next level.

I guess my question would be, is there a next level at Wyoming anymore?

I think 8-4 maybe 9-3 and being a tough out in conference is kind of who they are.

Not knocking the program or Bohl in any way.

I just think you can only squeeze so much out of a program.

Wyoming has solid booster support and facilities. But I have to imagine it's a little tough to get recruits to come to Laramie. Add in a smallish population making in state recruiting tough as well.

Sort of like Rocky Long at New Mexico. Really good coach but went .500 there.

I guess my question would be, is there a next level at Wyoming anymore?

I think 8-4 maybe 9-3 and being a tough out in conference is kind of who they are.

Not knocking the program or Bohl in any way.

I just think you can only squeeze so much out of a program.

Wyoming has solid booster support and facilities. But I have to imagine it's a little tough to get recruits to come to Laramie. Add in a smallish population making in state recruiting tough as well.

Sort of like Rocky Long at New Mexico. Really good coach but went .500 there.
They do a good job of development and finding unknowns like Josh Allen. Allen was at Reedley CC and nobody but Wyoming offered. I think Sanchez was our coach and was too wrapped up in recruiting rankings and such.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT