ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Balderas

Menzies_Jay

Starter
Sep 13, 2016
Fresno State is trying to poach Balderas away from UNLV. The bulldogs offered him in December and is pushing to keep him home. He's currently committed to the Rebels and I think he'll stick with his commitment. Recruiting season is always exciting. Balderas is listed at 6'1" but I'm told he's actually closer to 6'2" with a frame that can add weight.

Reactions: RebelinWA
This is where our conference sucks. We should not poaching for other MWC schools. Yes I know we are in same geographic area but if we want to move up in strength (as a conference), packing recruits just hinders that progression.

There should be an unwritten rule that you stop recruiting internally within conference once a recruit has made commitment.

New Staff's @ Fresno, RENO and SJSU will make this recruiting season interesting. There could be some flips late in the process.

These last few weekends before signing day, starting 1/13 will be very fun to see the list of guys we get on campus and try to wrap up for the remaining 8-9 spots we have available.

Last year UNLV poached big Leevel Tatum away from Wyoming a day before signing day. Recruiting battles go right down to the wire in some cases.

This is where our conference sucks. We should not poaching for other MWC schools. Yes I know we are in same geographic area but if we want to move up in strength (as a conference), packing recruits just hinders that progression.

There should be an unwritten rule that you stop recruiting internally within conference once a recruit has made commitment.

I get the sentiment, but its never going to happen. Recruiting is as cutthroat as it gets.

I think what makes it hurt now, is we have much more access to the process vs previous staff. We see who we are targeting, picture them in UNLV gear catching passes or sacking the QB. We develop a connection to the recruits, and when they get poached it feels just like a loss on a Saturday.

In some ways the ignorance of not having a clue what was going on under Hauck was bliss..

Reactions: dcut03
good luck Johnny Balderas as a Spartan, Jamaal Neal and Noah Bean are committed, uncommitted prospects are David Cormier, Carl Holmes, JC Santana, Frank Harris, former Commit Jaelon Darden, Deshawn Eagles, Jamire Calvin, Chance Brewington, Kevin Davis, Keric Wheatfall and former BSU commit Bryan Thompson

Last edited:
As much as it stings losing kids to other schools, it is nice to know we are at a point this staff is targeting kids that have options. Gone are the days of waiting around and just having a list of kids show up on signing day.

Watching the final spots fill in this last week of visits leading up to signing day will be exciting. I am all staff's keep at least 1 or 2 spots open for the "just in case this guy falls to us scenarios".

It makes you wonder of UNLV had backed off regarding Balderas. SJSU is not exactly a program you would change your commit to attend. I could see BSU, SDSU, or even unr, but SJSU has been somewhat on a slide downwards over last few years while UNLV is on the way up.

They have have a new coach selling his vision (also beat us 2 years running) . Maybe he wanted to be closer to home, who knows. Either way onto the next one. What I have noticed though is as soon as someone decommits the staff is immediately on new players at the same position.

Lets hope we can lock in an "upgrade".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT