ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Mora

I don't think you get it because you're making false assumptions and don't know the whole story. There's a lot more to it, but that's OK.

Mora would be a horrible candidate. He has taken over far better situations and screwed them up to the point of being fired each time and each of those were rebuilding jobs. UNLV isn't a rebuilding job. If TS is fired, UNLV needs to be built from the bottom up. History has shown that the best method of doing that at the FBS level is to hire an OC or DC from a very good program that was ran by a very good HC. That's how KSU went from being the laughing stock of college football to a Top 25 program that occasionally was a Top 10 team. We need to find the next Bill Snyder and Mora isn't even close.

You have a bias. (x2 no less). Tell me how I am wrong. I think I get that just fine.

One thing that CTS has done pretty well is amass some good players. Some of the best recruiting classes ever. Do you disagree?

So if he were fired we would have to start from scratch? Depending on coaching styles and scheme, the next guy should have some good players to work with.

We need a good coach. Mora has been pretty good, especially for UNLV. The next Bill Snyder? Well duh. Those are super easy to find. We've only been searching for that for the past 30 years.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
One thing that is missed in regards to the recruiting classes for UNLV, that was not highly ranked for the MWC this year, is that they have had some top level transfers over the last couple of years.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
We need an NFL hall of famer coach, that’s our next coach after CTS..

NFL has hella high turnover rate these days.

Do you guys realize we hit lucky gold to have John Robinson as our coach. I hated his 3 and outs but our defense was acceptable.

We can hit it again with the right hire.

Going pro NFL is the only way to go with the next hire.
NFL coaches just don't work out. Robinson did nothing for us. There are numerous other examples, e.g., Bill Callahan ruined Nebraska.

College football is an entirely different situation from recruiting through player development.

Sam we are not talking major programs when it comes to pay, we are talking UNLV and the MWC. First we need to get to the top of the MWC before worrying about competing with the top teams in the nation.
Remember that my initial reply was >
Which isn't much but it's better than nothing.

It's not much in the big scheme of things. I think we can agree on that.
It's better than nothing because >
1] it would match what Mike Bobo and his coordinators were paid last season.
2] it would match what Harsin and his coordinators would be paid
3] it would match what Tedford and his coordinators will be paid
4] it would match what Bohl and his coordinators will be paid.

Nevertheless, even with the extra $3 M, the budgets for football at CSU, BSU, Fresno and Wyoming would still be more than UNLV's next season.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
One thing that is missed in regards to the recruiting classes for UNLV, that was not highly ranked for the MWC this year, is that they have had some top level transfers over the last couple of years.
THIS^^^^^
That really is huge. And the transfer situation is only going to expand with the new NCAA positions. If TS is replaced, it must be by a guy with great connections or has staff with great college connections because this is only going to become more important for everyone but particularly UNLV.

I still can’t believe the dumb UNLV President didn’t want to hire Mora. This is what holds UNLV back. They way they also didn’t want to hire Ben Howland 3 years ago. We get stuck with high school coaches and wac rejects!

Remember that my initial reply was >

It's not much in the big scheme of things. I think we can agree on that.
It's better than nothing because >
1] it would match what Mike Bobo and his coordinators were paid last season.
2] it would match what Harsin and his coordinators would be paid
3] it would match what Tedford and his coordinators will be paid
4] it would match what Bohl and his coordinators will be paid.

Nevertheless, even with the extra $3 M, the budgets for football at CSU, BSU, Fresno and Wyoming would still be more than UNLV's next season.

I don't get this argument.

Reno and Hawaii work on similar budgets and garnered better results.

On the other hand CSU pays more and had poor returns this past season.

The implication here is that if you pay the coaches more they perform better?

Or

More money and we could afford better coaches?

Neither seems to be a ringing endorsement of the current staff.

NFL coaches just don't work out. Robinson did nothing for us. There are numerous other examples, e.g., Bill Callahan ruined Nebraska.

College football is an entirely different situation from recruiting through player development.

There are numerous examples of solid NFL coaches dominating at the NCAA level like Pete Carroll and Nick Saban along with Jim Harbaugh & Dennis Erickson.
As for Callahan, he had two years experience as a head coach. He was hired to transition the Cornhuskers from an option offense to a modern style offensive attack. He went 8-4 and 9-5 in back to back years but produced two 5 win season in his first and last year out of four. He left a team in position for Bo Pelini to run off 7 straight 9+ win seasons.

As for JRob, he took over a win-less football team that was fully in the dumps, to say he did nothing seems as though you may have been too young to recall where things were. He brought instant name recognition and a competitiveness on the field. The problem with JRob was that he had lost the desire for greatness and just wanted to be a good team. He had no desire to take chances and be innovative to push the team to the next level but he did produce a 23-25 record in his strongest 4 year run with a 8-5 bowl season and a 6-6 season.
He also brought Rebel Park and the upgrades to Sam Boyd Stadium.

TS is 16-32 in four years after taking over a team the was a year removed from a bowl season. He has the ability to talk with confidence and provide energy when he speaks but what year five has to bring is a question mark. I feel the team has shown the ability to be competitive at times but not consistently. With Mora available it was a huge gamble to pass up such an option though I did want to see what Sanchez does this year.
That said, the recruiting class this year seems to be a wash at best with the addition versus the subtractions. Ehimare, Tuitasi and Viramontes are the guys the season is riding on but I have a hard time seeing enough bump from this class to get over the hump.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/nevada-las-vegas/1998-schedule.html

There are numerous examples of solid NFL coaches dominating at the NCAA level like Pete Carroll and Nick Saban along with Jim Harbaugh & Dennis Erickson.
As for Callahan, he had two years experience as a head coach. He was hired to transition the Cornhuskers from an option offense to a modern style offensive attack. He went 8-4 and 9-5 in back to back years but produced two 5 win season in his first and last year out of four. He left a team in position for Bo Pelini to run off 7 straight 9+ win seasons.

As for JRob, he took over a win-less football team that was fully in the dumps, to say he did nothing seems as though you may have been too young to recall where things were. He brought instant name recognition and a competitiveness on the field. The problem with JRob was that he had lost the desire for greatness and just wanted to be a good team. He had no desire to take chances and be innovative to push the team to the next level but he did produce a 23-25 record in his strongest 4 year run with a 8-5 bowl season and a 6-6 season.
He also brought Rebel Park and the upgrades to Sam Boyd Stadium.

TS is 16-32 in four years after taking over a team the was a year removed from a bowl season. He has the ability to talk with confidence and provide energy when he speaks but what year five has to bring is a question mark. I feel the team has shown the ability to be competitive at times but not consistently. With Mora available it was a huge gamble to pass up such an option though I did want to see what Sanchez does this year.
That said, the recruiting class this year seems to be a wash at best with the addition versus the subtractions. Ehimare, Tuitasi and Viramontes are the guys the season is riding on but I have a hard time seeing enough bump from this class to get over the hump.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/nevada-las-vegas/1998-schedule.html

Holy crap! I agree with Will.

Somebody check the temperature in hell.

Not one of them apply to our situation. We can't afford anyone close to them. Most importantly, none of them left the NFL to build up a program from the bottom up like what will need to happen with the next HC. Coming from the NFL >
1] Pete Carroll took over USC.
2] Saban took over LSU left for the NFL and took over Bama.
3] Harbaugh took over a loaded Michigan team as the 2nd highest paid HC in college football and has yet to win the B1G. Under his direction, Michigan finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th and finally tied for 1st in the east last season. Most importantly, and to quote Captain Obvious here "We aren't in the same universe as Bama, USC, LSU & Michigan.

Even Dennis Erickson took over a 5-6 Oregon State team that Mike Riley was hired away from to coach the Chargers in the NFL. And when Erickson came back again from the NFL to take over a solid ASU program, he failed miserably and was fired again. Time for another quote from Captain Obvious > "We aren't in the same universe as ASU at the time Erickson took over for them. We aren't even in the same universe as Oregon State was at the time he took them over."

Now let's compare apples to apples. Which NFL head coach came back from the NFL to build a non-power 5 program into a consistent winner? I look forward to your answer.

Last edited:
I don't get this argument.

Reno and Hawaii work on similar budgets and garnered better results.

On the other hand CSU pays more and had poor returns this past season.

The implication here is that if you pay the coaches more they perform better?

Or

More money and we could afford better coaches?

Neither seems to be a ringing endorsement of the current staff.
I wasn't talking about the current staff because the OP's question for the board assumed that TS would be fired. Appears that Will & you can't focus on anything else than TS but I was only talking about the next staff in order to answer the OP's question, which was, and still remains >

"What would you guys think about hiring Mora in December after Sanchez flops again and has a 5th losing season in a row."

Now let's compare apples to apples. Which NFL head coach came back from the NFL to build a non-power 5 program into a consistent winner? I look forward to your answer.

June Jones did a pretty damn good job turning Hawaii around.

Lane Kiffin is only 2 years in at FAU but if he doesn’t jump back to the P5 he might turn FAU into a winner.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Not one of them apply to our situation. We can't afford anyone close to them. Most importantly, none of them left the NFL to build up a program from the bottom up like what will need to happen with the next HC. Coming from the NFL >
1] Pete Carroll took over USC.
2] Saban took over LSU left for the NFL and took over Bama.
3] Harbaugh took over a loaded Michigan team as the 2nd highest paid HC in college football and has yet to win the B1G. Under his direction, Michigan finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th and finally tied for 1st in the east last season. Most importantly, and to quote Captain Obvious here "We aren't in the same universe as Bama, USC, LSU & Michigan.

Even Dennis Erickson took over a 5-6 Oregon State team that Mike Riley was hired away from to coach the Chargers in the NFL. And when Erickson came back again from the NFL to take over a solid ASU program, he failed miserably and was fired again. Time for another quote from Captain Obvious > "We aren't in the same universe as ASU at the time Erickson took over for them. We aren't even in the same universe as Oregon State was at the time he took them over."

June Jones?

Got Hawaii to BCS game.
Stabilized SMU..

I wasn't talking about the current staff because the OP's question for the board assumed that TS would be fired. Appears that Will & you can't focus on anything else than TS but I was only talking about the next staff in order to answer the OP's question, which was, and still remains >

"What would you guys think about hiring Mora in December after Sanchez flops again and has a 5th losing season in a row."

We're 95 responses into this thread and now your're responding to the OP?

Gotcha...

June Jones?

Got Hawaii to BCS game.
Stabilized SMU..
JJ is pretty close but no cigar. He was only an interim HC in the NFL for 10 games but only won 3 of those games before he was shipped out and took the job at Hawaii in despiration. Did a great job there with what was a great local recruiting pool that was basically in a captive market at that time. Also did very well at SMU in an even greater local recruiting pool. Some posters on here think it's much better than USC's.

Captain Obvious > "We aren't in a great local recruiting pool."

To cut to the chase >
What we need for our next HC is a young OC/DC who played and coached under a great coaching tree. We need the next
1] Bill Snyder when he left Iowa for KSU.
2] Urban Meyer who coached under Earle Bruce, Sonny Lubick, Lou Holtz and Bob Davie before his first HC job at Bowling Green
3] Saban who came from the Don James staff before he became the HC at Toledo
4] Bobby Bowden who came from the Bill Peterson coaching tree to turn WVA into a winner before he moved on to FSU
5] Frank Beamer from the Bobby Ross &* Mike Gottfried coaching trees before he built Murray State and then VT into a powerhouse
6] Mack Brown from the coaching trees of Bobby Bowden & Barry Switzer before he turned Tulane around
7] Scott Frost from the Tom Osborne, Bill Snyder and Chip Kelly coaching trees before he took UCF and turned them into a Top 10 team in just two seasons.
I could go on if people want more of them but I don't want to bore anyone.

June Jones did a pretty damn good job turning Hawaii around.

Lane Kiffin is only 2 years in at FAU but if he doesn’t jump back to the P5 he might turn FAU into a winner.

June Jones is close. Very close. Could be argued both ways but I'll give ya that one.

Lane Kiffin? Naw. He doesn't fit the question I asked. LK came directly from Bama as Saban's OC to FAU. Before that he was the HC at TN where he destroyed that program before sneaking off to stink it up at USC.

JJ is pretty close but no cigar. He was only an interim HC in the NFL for 10 games but only won 3 of those games before he was shipped out and took the job at Hawaii in despiration. Did a great job there with what was a great local recruiting pool that was basically in a captive market at that time. Also did very well at SMU in an even greater local recruiting pool. Some posters on here think it's much better than USC's.

Captain Obvious > "We aren't in a great local recruiting pool."

To cut to the chase >
What we need for our next HC is a young OC/DC who played and coached under a great coaching tree. We need the next
1] Bill Snyder when he left Iowa for KSU.
2] Urban Meyer who coached under Earle Bruce, Sonny Lubick, Lou Holtz and Bob Davie before his first HC job at Bowling Green
3] Saban who came from the Don James staff before he became the HC at Toledo
4] Bobby Bowden who came from the Bill Peterson coaching tree to turn WVA into a winner before he moved on to FSU
5] Frank Beamer from the Bobby Ross &* Mike Gottfried coaching trees before he built Murray State and then VT into a powerhouse
6] Mack Brown from the coaching trees of Bobby Bowden & Barry Switzer before he turned Tulane around
7] Scott Frost from the Tom Osborne, Bill Snyder and Chip Kelly coaching trees before he took UCF and turned them into a Top 10 team in just two seasons.
I could go on if people want more of them but I don't want to bore anyone.

We had Mike Sanford from the Urban Meyer coaching tree...

We had Mike Sanford from the Urban Meyer coaching tree...
Doesn't match the criteria I listed. Here it is again for your convenience >
"What we need for our next HC is a young OC/DC who played and coached under a great coaching tree...."

Mike Stanford coached his 1st game as a HC for the Rebels at 49 years of age and he wasn't mentored by Urban Meyer. He's 9 years older than Meyer, and only served as his OC for 2 seasons. Every guy I listed was in their 30s when they got their 1st HC gig at the FBS level.

95 posts in you directly respond to it?

I'll take your word for it.
I directly responded to it on my very first post >
No thanks. Mora has been fired 3 times. All three times were for under performing players and poor coaching. With USC on the rocks and over $100 M put into the UCLA football facilities, he should have dominated in recruiting at UCLA but he didn't. Think about it. The guy who was suddenly with the best program in LA with USC on the ropes, being in the absolute best local recruiting pool in the nation and all of those upgrades never landed a Top 5 class nationally and averaged 20th in the nation until he was fired. Now you want to hire him to "build" UNLV?
Rather dump the program than let him bury it while paying him millions to do so.

and did so with every single post thereafter. You replied to every single one of them so, unless you don't read what you reply to, which is starting to appear to be the case, then you don't have to take my word for it. The facts are right there for you to see if you actually care about the facts.

As for Callahan, he had two years experience as a head coach. He was hired to transition the Cornhuskers from an option offense to a modern style offensive attack. He went 8-4 and 9-5 in back to back years but produced two 5 win season in his first and last year out of four. He left a team in position for Bo Pelini to run off 7 straight 9+ win seasons....
This is wrong in so many ways that I have to respond to all of the false statements.
Cally was hired to "bring the Huskers back to National prominence". He failed miserably right out of the box.
1] Took over a power running team with a great defense coming off of a 10-3 season with 18 returning starters and 11 future NFL players, including > returning All Big 12 OT and future All Pro Richie Incognito;
All Big 12, future All American and 1st round NFL pick Josh Bullocks;
All American and NFL punter Kyle Larson;
future All Big 12, All American and 1st round pick Adam Carriker;
future All Big 12 and long time NFL players Fabian Washington & Barrett Ruud and numerous other NFL players.
2] With all that returning talent in their 2nd game of 2004, Cally coached the Huskers to their 1st loss at home to an unranked team [Southern Miss] since 1962. Cally sluffed it off as though it was a preseason NFL loss.
3] Just three games later, that Blackshirts defense which was loaded with NFL talent, gave up 70 points and the offense could only muster 10 points in the worst Husker loss of all time against Texas Tech.
4] Next he lost to an unranked KSU team.
5] Then he lost to an unranked Iowa State team with an OC that he had let go named Barney Cotton. With completely inferior talent, Cotton put 34 points on Cally for the 4th loss of the season
6] The 5th loss was 30-3 to Oklahoma which remains as one of the worst losses to the Huskers' rival
7] The 6th loss was at home against unranked Colorado.
8] The 5-6 season was the 1st losing season since 1961
9] The 5-6 season ended the record setting longest Bowl streak in NCAA history.

I'll come back with more on the remainder of the failure of the Huskers by hiring an NFL Cally, if anyone wants and it's just false to say that Bo's success came from Cally if anyone cares about that.

I directly responded to it on my very first post >

and did so with every single post thereafter. You replied to every single one of them so, unless you don't read what you reply to, which is starting to appear to be the case, then you don't have to take my word for it. The facts are right there for you to see if you actually care about the facts.

I see that you did...

And the thread went off the rails when you went on about Mora destroying the program.

As for facts, you're very good at leaving key ones out of your assesments to fit a narrative. You thought Mora was a bad fit. I agree.

However you conveniently left out Mora went 46-30 at UCLA. Won double digit games multiple seasons. Appeared in four bowl games. Or that he won the NFC South with Vick. Went to an NFC title game. He even belongs to one of those football trees you're fond of.. I mean those things happened. But you conveniently left it out.

Obviously when rumor of a possible coaching change pops up it becomes comparisons and an either or discussion. If things were going swimmingly with the current coach, there wouldn't be rumors circulating. Or ADs testing the water. The reality is they aren't. There are some good things. No doubt. But there is a lot to be concerned about as well.

So when you start throwing Mora's resume out there and knit picking it, it opens the door to comparisons with Sanchez. It's only natural.

In that scenario there is no comparison. Sanchez resume vs Mora lacks in every area. Experience, accomplishments, win percentage, bowl appearances etc.

It's not close.

I've said multiple times I don't think Mora would be the right guy other than he has name value and it might generate a spark of interest in the general fan base and put butts in seats. Which UNLV desperately needs and Sanchez has failed to do.

The Mora ship has sailed. This thread should have died 90 posts ago. The majority of posters here weren't even all that excited by the prospect, especially when finding out it meant the facility funding would dry up.

Reactions: dcut03 and willlevi
You're wrong because I don't have a bias in the slightest. So you're still not getting it.

You've admitted that you worked with Neuheisel, you have inferred you work with Sanchez.

Legally that would be biased. If you were a judge you would have to recuse yourself.

You are so high and mighty that you put aside your own and clients' and self interest to talk football on a message board? Really?

You should be biased. I would be if I were in your situation. I would hate Mora too, if he got one of your guys fired and nearly a second.

J-Rob was the best thing to happen to this program in the past 30 years. He is the reason I am a fan. If he wasn't the coach while I was a student there, I probably wouldn't be on this board yapping it up with the rest of you. Last bowl win in school history against a power school no less.

You've admitted that you worked with Neuheisel, you have inferred you work with Sanchez.....
Nope. Neither were my clients. You obviously know very little about the law but one very basic fact is that there are always more than one party to a contract, often, there are several parties.

Legally that would be biased. ...
False again. Working "with" someone who is not your client, is never considered to be a conflict of interest or, in your language, "legally biased".

...You should be biased. I would be if I were in your situation. I would hate Mora too, if he got one of your guys fired and nearly a second......

You're wrong again for several reasons:

1] I don't hate Jim L. Mora at all. His dad and I became friends decades ago. I wouldn't want any of my best friends to try to rebuild UNLV but that doesn't mean that I hate them. Jim L. just isn't the man to build the Rebels from the ground up. Jim L. needs to get back to fundamentals as a coach to rebuild his career. Trying to build a team like the Rebels from the ground up isn't right for him and it's not right for UNLV because he has absolutely no experience in it. Neither did Robinson and I definitely don't hate Robinson either.

2] Jim L. did NOT get any of my "guys" fired. If you are saying the RN is one of my "guys", that's hysterically funny. He didn't get Neuheisel fired. RN got himself fired well BEFORE the AD for UCLA contacted Jim L. The contact was initiated through his dad who had numerous friends at UCLA that he made while he was an assistant coach there in the 70s. That contact began 7 days after RN was formerly terminated and UCLA actually had another replacement in mind but he changed his mind. TS wasn't fired so there goes that falsity out the window too.

3] Robinson was a great coach when he took over the dynasty John McKay built at USC. No doubt about it. He is one of the best examples of taking over a dynasty and continuing to run it properly. That remains extremely rare today. However, that was what he was great at. In spite of his incredible resume and what a great person he is, Robinson failed miserably at UNLV going 28-42 over 6 seasons where he only produced one winning season, two ties and three losing seasons. In his 6th season he was 2-9 overall and 1-6 in conference. His teams came in last in the MWC 3 of his 6 seasons. I don't know if he was the "best thing" to happen to UNLV but you are entitled to your opinion.
However, if Robinson is the "best thing" to happen to this program, then I rest my case.

Reactions: j. spilotro
If you were around during the Jon Robinson era, and you were familiar with what happened within his family during the time he was coach at UNLV, you would know that his failure had nothing to do with his coaching ability. He should have never been put in the position of also being the AD, and that along with the fact that his wife came down with cancer, took his head out of the game, and it was very noticeable. From that point on he was just going through the motions.

Of course Robinson never should have been the AD. He had no experience at that either which comes back to my point.

Please keep in mind that I'm not blaming Robinson for failing at UNLV. I really like the man. He can have all the excuses in the world but it doesn't change the fact that he failed. Didn't stop him from becoming a Hall of Fame inductee either.

Who else has a bowl win in the past 30 years? Against an SEC school no less?
Also had some of the best attendance numbers during his tenure?

Sure a HOF coach is a bad fit. Especially at UNLV.

J-Rob excited the Vegas community more than any other coach in recent times. Had John Madden talking about us on national television.

Did it end in disappointment? Yes it did. So do most tenures.

Taking over for an established coach has shelf life. At some point its all your guys, your coaches, run how you want to run it. Sure having culture and tradition is very helpful, but at some point you can't blame successes or failures on the last guy.

Saying that Mora got RN fired isn't true. But as we have learned on these boards once a coach gets fired the next guy is usually disliked unfairly.

Mora did nearly get TS fired. If DRF had her way it would have happened. And your bad talk of Mora started as soon as that became evident on these boards. Not much of a coincidence.

Your right I'm no lawyer, but bias is bias. You have a personal relationship of some sort with TS? Do you deny that? Mora could have canned him. You have a relationship with TS on some level. I can't believe you don't get this, it really is quite simple.

Thanks for sharing your relationship status.

Reactions: willlevi
UNLV Football isn't some brand new program being built from the ground up. It is a long struggling program that needs someone the right the ship.
Hopefully your style of thought won't go into the next hiring cycle. That's how we got Rollie Massimino and Marvin Menzies.

Nope. Neither were my clients. You obviously know very little about the law but one very basic fact is that there are always more than one party to a contract, often, there are several parties.

False again. Working "with" someone who is not your client, is never considered to be a conflict of interest or, in your language, "legally biased".

1] I don't hate Jim L. Mora at all. His dad and I became friends decades ago. I wouldn't want any of my best friends to try to rebuild UNLV but that doesn't mean that I hate them. Jim L. just isn't the man to build the Rebels from the ground up. Jim L. needs to get back to fundamentals as a coach to rebuild his career. Trying to build a team like the Rebels from the ground up isn't right for him and it's not right for UNLV because he has absolutely no experience in it. Neither did Robinson and I definitely don't hate Robinson either.

2] Jim L. did NOT get any of my "guys" fired. If you are saying the RN is one of my "guys", that's hysterically funny. He didn't get Neuheisel fired. RN got himself fired well BEFORE the AD for UCLA contacted Jim L. The contact was initiated through his dad who had numerous friends at UCLA that he made while he was an assistant coach there in the 70s. That contact began 7 days after RN was formerly terminated and UCLA actually had another replacement in mind but he changed his mind. TS wasn't fired so there goes that falsity out the window too.

3] Robinson was a great coach when he took over the dynasty John McKay built at USC. No doubt about it. He is one of the best examples of taking over a dynasty and continuing to run it properly. That remains extremely rare today. However, that was what he was great at. In spite of his incredible resume and what a great person he is, Robinson failed miserably at UNLV going 28-42 over 6 seasons where he only produced one winning season, two ties and three losing seasons. In his 6th season he was 2-9 overall and 1-6 in conference. His teams came in last in the MWC 3 of his 6 seasons. I don't know if he was the "best thing" to happen to UNLV but you are entitled to your opinion.
However, if Robinson is the "best thing" to happen to this program, then I rest my case.

Sure a HOF coach is a bad fit. Especially at UNLV.....
Not if he's the right one. Bill Snyder would have been perfect just a little while back. It's clear that you are missing the point or just refusing to acknowledge it, but once again, we need someone who can build this program up from the bottom. History has proven that the best method is getting a young guy who was properly mentored in college football to do it. Do what UCF did and find a Scott Frost, or what Bowling Green did and find an Urban Meyer, or what Boise did.....
...Did it end in disappointment? Yes it did. So do most tenures.failures on the last guy.
Which smart and successful people in all sorts of sports and business use to learn from.
...Saying that Mora got RN fired isn't true. But as we have learned on these boards once a coach gets fired the next guy is usually disliked unfairly.....

First of all, this isn't a UCLA board. Why would anyone here think that way? I definitely don't.
Second of all, and for the 7th time, I don't dislike Jim L. Mora. I like him a LOT in general. I just don't want him or any other NFL coach who doesn't have the experience of building a program as the next guy to build the Rebels. That's the point you refuse to acknowledge. It's the question raised by the OP. I answered it repeatedly. Sorry I failed to write it in a manner that you can comprehend.

Mora did nearly get TS fired. If DRF had her way it would have happened. And your bad talk of Mora started as soon as that became evident on these boards. Not much of a coincidence....

Answering a question by an OP is never a coincidence. Thus, what you just wrote makes no sense at all for you to raise. My opinion on Jim L being hired by UNLV started in this thread in reply to the OP's question on whether he should be hired "if" TS is fired. That was January 24, 2019.

Your right I'm no lawyer, but bias is bias. ....

Yes I'm right and if there is no bias, then it's not bias.

For the record, I'm about as close to Jim L. Mora as I am with TS and I'm closer to Jim's dad than both of them put together.

UNLV Football isn't some brand new program being built from the ground up. It is a long struggling program that needs someone the right the ship...
Can't right a ship that sank at the pier during the launch. Kansas State football was more than twice as old as UNLV when Bill Snyder built them from the ground up into a program that we would love to become. Same thing applies to what happened relatively recently at numerous programs and going back in history at Oklahoma, Nebraska, A$M, Bama, Miami & Florida State.

Hopefully your style of thought won't go into the next hiring cycle. That's how we got Rollie Massimino and Marvin Menzies.

WHAT!?!?!?!
The next HC for UNLV is going to be taking over a program like the one Tark built?
[roll]

All the

Robinson did not fail miserably. If that is the case how in the world could you go to bat for Sanchez under any circumstances, which you have.

Robinson had a bowl win.
Had all the current bowls existed then, he goes to two.
Was above or at .500 2x
Had a win over a P5 school.
Best results we have had. Attendance was similar back then to now. Especially when you consider population numbers.

Sanchez has none of that. In fact for all the talk of how much better things are under Sanchez, how much better the recruiting is and the coaching and the 'culture' supposedly are, in four years he has 16 wins. Hauck had 13 and made a bowl. Hey thanks for the extra .75 average wins a year.

Let's cut the bullshit. Seriously.

Tony Sanchez was hired for this job because he had ties to money and UNLV needed it desperately. Not because he kicked the living dog crap out of local HS.

Every single coach hired before him had a better resume.

The idea that the next coach is starting from ground zero is ridiculous. I agree the recruiting budget needs a boost. But Reno works on nearly the same budget and they made a bowl. Hawaii made a bowl and there budget is similar and their travel is far worse. UNLV will have a new state of the art facility and stadium. The two things that are constantly pointed at for holding UNLV back. I said when he took the job, regardless of Ws and Ls he'd leave the program in better shape than when he got here. Facility is done. And new stadium. Mission accomplished.

Now win six+ games and go to a bowl.

Reactions: RebelinWA
All the
Robinson did not fail miserably..

OK. So you have a different definition than mine.

Going 28-42 over 6 seasons with only one winning season, two ties and three losing seasons, going 2-9 overall and 1-6 in conference in his 6th season and coming in last in the MWC 3 of his 6 seasons = failing miserably in my book.

I'll agree to disagree.

OK. So you have a different definition than mine.

Going 28-42 over 6 seasons with only one winning season, two ties and three losing seasons, going 2-9 overall and 1-6 in conference in his 6th season and coming in last in the MWC 3 of his 6 seasons = failing miserably in my book.

I'll agree to disagree.

Going 16-32 and being the only win on San Jose States ledger this year. Zero bowl appearances and zero wins over P5 schools. Defenses ranked outside the top 100 3 out of 4 years.

If we're bashing previous coaches tenures it seems fair to compare to current coach correct.

Oh and Robinson never lost to Reno.

Reactions: dcut03
...If we're bashing previous coaches tenures it seems fair to compare to current coach correct....

Which had zero to do with the question of the OP since it assumed that TS would be fired.
Maybe pay attention to the question and the actual answers is a good rule to follow. That way, one might have noticed that someone with a resume like that of TS doesn't come close to fitting who I would hire as the next HC.

Which had zero to do with the question of the OP since it assumed that TS would be fired.
Maybe pay attention to the question and the actual answers is a good rule to follow. That way, one might have noticed that someone with a resume like that of TS doesn't come close to fitting who I would hire as the next HC.

Because it does matter.

We've long since left the OP.

A coach is being courted by an AD.

You made an argument as to why you wouldn't want him. Namely his record and resume.

This is obviously going to lead to comparisons to current coach

You then made assertions about the disaster other coaches have been here.

Yet you conveniently leave Sanchez out. every time.

That's not to say Sanchez entire tenure here has been a disaster. It hasn't. Years 1-3 showed slow but steady progress. However year four was disastrous. The schedule lined up favorably. The defense got worse. There were more double digit losses than the year before. The same issues as years past, namely second half collapses continued to happen.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT