ADVERTISEMENT

Orlando Sentinel Preview

UNLV Rebel1

NBA Draft Pick
Nov 26, 2018
The Orlando Sentinel ranks UNLV at 105 entering the season. This isn’t very good. Also considering they have a very difficult schedule this fall. It just shows UNLV made a major mistake not letting Desiree hire Jim Mora last November. The same bad politics still go on today in regards to the way the administration handles athletics. Sanchez is 16-32 overall at UNLV. Mora had some great teams at UCLA. Mora had also been a coach in the NFL. It is also too bad TKM didn’t hire Ben Howland in 2015. The decisions that are made at UNLV are mind boggling.

The Orlando Sentinel ranks UNLV at 105 entering the season. This isn’t very good. Also considering they have a very difficult schedule this fall. It just shows UNLV made a major mistake not letting Desiree hire Jim Mora last November. The same bad politics still go on today in regards to the way the administration handles athletics. Sanchez is 16-32 overall at UNLV. Mora had some great teams at UCLA. Mora had also been a coach in the NFL. It is also too bad TKM didn’t hire Ben Howland in 2015. The decisions that are made at UNLV are mind boggling.
Then we have a 1/4 built eyesore on campus occupying space and no money to complete it. It’s not like people are beating down Mora’s door if he were so invaluable. I’m assuming he would be a available next season as well, if Sanchez doesn’t cut it. But it will be with a finished building that’s important to football. So if in the end, we sacrifice a year of football for a prominent building, how is that a net loss considering we’ve sacrificed dozens of season for - nothing in return?

If they hired Mora then they are on the hook for the facility.

We've been over this man.

If Sanchez fails this year a new coach heads into a new stadium with a completed state of the art facility.

Maybe not a popular choice with some people but ultimately the right one.

Mora had some great teams at UCLA.
Do me a favor and go pick up a dictionary or just google the word "great."

I guess someone should call the team into a meeting and tell them there's no reason to even play the season...the Orlando Sentinel has picked them 105. Pack it up, men.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Do me a favor and go pick up a dictionary or just google the word "great."

I guess someone should call the team into a meeting and tell them there's no reason to even play the season...the Orlando Sentinel has picked them 105. Pack it up, men.

I would say going 46-30 at UCLA with trips to the Holiday and Alamo bowls are much better that the coach we have. He is currently 16-32 overall after 4 seasons. I wouldn’t call that great...

I would say going 46-30 at UCLA with trips to the Holiday and Alamo bowls are much better that the coach we have. He is currently 16-32 overall after 4 seasons. I wouldn’t call that great...
Who said Sanchez was great? We've said he was necessary, which is true. Even a legend like Jon Robinson, who won some games, couldn't get huge financial support from corporate sponsors. Sanchez is the vehicle to the $25M+ facility which opens in 2 months.

Back to the issue at hand; Were any of Mora's teams great? The standard you threw out was great, not "better than UNLV."

I would say his UCLA teams in 2013 and 2014 were great! They went 10-3 overall! He also went 11-5 with the Falcons in the NFL. J-Rob was dope at UNLV. He owned Reno!

I would say his UCLA teams in 2013 and 2014 were great! They went 10-3 overall! He also went 11-5 with the Falcons in the NFL. J-Rob was dope at UNLV. He owned Reno!
Great teams lose in the Holiday Bowl? Stop. He had 0 great teams. He was 31-33 in the NFL, and that one good year in the NFL was thanks to Michael Vick. If we're going to judge a coach by one season, Coach Hauck was one of UNLV's greats.

Reactions: UNLV Rebel1
I think J-Rob and Harvey are the best coaches we have ever had. The Heart of Dallas Bowl team under Coach Hauck was fun!

Great teams lose in the Holiday Bowl? Stop. He had 0 great teams. He was 31-33 in the NFL, and that one good year in the NFL was thanks to Michael Vick. If we're going to judge a coach by one season, Coach Hauck was one of UNLV's greats.

You like how I threw in Mora's first year at Atlanta? lol [roll]

Ron Myers (77.1% wins) 1st and Tony Knapp (69.6% wins) second by a mile over any of the other coaches! Tony Knapp would be the best overall of the two because he played at D1 while Ron played at a lower division. Next would be Wayne Nunnely (43.2%) then John Robinson (40.0%). John had one good season otherwise he did nothing. I might have included Harvey Hyde, but he ended up forfeiting most of his wins.

Last edited:
Ron Myers (77.1% wins) 1st and Tony Knapp (69.6% wins) second by a mile over any of the other coaches! Tony Knapp would be the best overall of the two because he played at D1 while Ron played at a lower division. Next would be Wayne Nunnely (43.2%) then John Robinson (40.0%). John had one good season otherwise he did nothing. I might have included Harvey Hyde, but he ended up forfeiting most of his wins.

I think the Big West took those wins off. Not the NCAA. Still though for a Rebel football team to win 11 games in a season is remarkable. Thanks for breaking it down...

If there were as many bowls then as now John makes a 2nd bowl game.

He won a bowl.

Went 5-1 vs Reno. Won 5 straight.

He had wins over P5 schools in Wisconsin and Arkansas.

He was a catalyst in getting the expansion for the Silver Bowl.

Obviously his tenure wasn't great. Not nearly enough wins on the ledger.

But saying Robinson did nothing seems harsh.

Last edited:
If there were as many bowls then as now John makes a 2nd bowl game.

He won a bowl.

He never lost to Reno.

He had wins over P5 schools in Wisconsin and Arkansas.

He was a catalyst in getting the expansion for the Silver Bowl.

Obviously his tenure wasn't great. Not nearly enough wins on the ledger.

But saying Robinson did nothing seems harsh.

He did lose to Reno his first season. He said after that game that would never happen again. It didn’t...

You are correct. He won 5 straight after that..

Went back and fixed it in original post.

Coach Robinson has always said it is more of a hatred than a rivalry towards UNLV from Reno. The two best games I was ever fortunate to be around were the 2013 and 2015 wins at Reno!

...Mora had some great teams at UCLA. ....

[roll]Fired by Atlanta after his 3rd season under a 5 year contract, fired by Seattle after the first year of his 5 year contract, fired by UCLA after going 17-19 in his last 3 seasons, and he still doesn't have a coaching job with over 37 jobs in college football turning over since he was fired. JM he wasn't even offered a job by 10 of the worst teams in FBS & FCS football who hired new coaches. :flush:

Reactions: bcvegaspt
[roll]Fired by Atlanta after his 3rd season under a 5 year contract, fired by Seattle after the first year of his 5 year contract, fired by UCLA after going 17-19 in his last 3 seasons, and he still doesn't have a coaching job with over 37 jobs in college football turning over since he was fired. JM he wasn't even offered a job by 10 of the worst teams in FBS & FCS football who hired new coaches. :flush:

If Sanchez can win 6 or 7 games with this years schedule then he definitely deserves a extension. Mora’s teams were that good his last couple years at UCLA anyways...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT