ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Mora

When was the ship ever righted? Just curious for a baseline

It never has.

An earlier post was Robinson was a disaster and Mora would have destroyed the program.

As frustrating as last season was, the program is in a better place. Not because the product or results on the field have improved exponentially, because they haven't.

It's better because of the benefits the facility and new stadium should bring.

Whether Sanchez can turn it around next year and see the rewards of his labor I don't know.

But the job is more appealing now with the facility/stadium. If Sanchez fails, UNLV needs to somehow make the pay as appealing. Hard to attract top tier assistants from P5 schools or even upper G5 schools when they make more as coordinators in many cases.

I think the disagreement stems mostly from pointing out the resumes and results of other coaches but ignoring the current results. (At least it does in my end)

When was the ship ever righted? Just curious for a baseline

Just because the program isn't successful doesn't mean you are building from the ground up. The foundation of the program is settled and has been in place since 1968. The team had just 2 losing seasons in the first 19 seasons (before 1987) but just 4 winning seasons since in the last 31.
Now that more bells and whistles were added, everything possible is on the table that people have called the missing pieces.
At this point its really the player/coach combination going forward. Finding a way to get the community to rally around the program that now falls in the shadow of the NFL is challenge moving forward?
The first 19 season, they had a very successful team playing in the middle of nowhere. How do you get back there?

Correct, that this team was a good team from the 60's through the early 80's at which time Maxson destroyed the program. The two things UNLV will soon have, that they never have had before, is a full roster and first rate facilities. The questions are can coach Sanchez upgrade the recruiting and start winning now?

CTS has built a solid "half-team." The offensive side of the game has been good, if not great. It's the defense that has been his downfall. In his time here that defense had been atrocious. If he can somehow solidify that side, this team would compete for the league title consistently.

But I think defense has always been this school's problem

CTS has built a solid "half-team." The offensive side of the game has been good, if not great. It's the defense that has been his downfall. In his time here that defense had been atrocious. If he can somehow solidify that side, this team would compete for the league title consistently.

But I think defense has always been this school's problem
Excellent points. If TS is let go, the next HC absolutely MUST have the right experience, scheme and, particularly, recruiting contacts to fix the defense at the college level. Maybe keep the same offense because this offense is designed to assist the defense more than traditional spreads and the wide open spread offenses.

Reactions: RebelinWA
... at which time Maxson destroyed the program. ....

A destroyed program, like Maxson did so completely at UNLV, must be built from the ground up. TS has tried to do that but if he is let go, the next HC needs to pour a new foundation and built from there. The guys who have been successful in doing that have routinely been young inovative college guys who know and accept the vast differences between college and pro football.

Excellent points. If TS is let go, the next HC absolutely MUST have the right experience, scheme and, particularly, recruiting contacts to fix the defense at the college level. Maybe keep the same offense because this offense is designed to assist the defense more than traditional spreads and the wide open spread offenses.

It is...

It hasn't though.

There's four years of undeniable evidence.
In fact, last year the defense was even worse. Giving up seven more points per game than the year before.

This offense while it leans on the run, it isn't anything like the offenses that Army or Air Force run.

You still need a QB that can make throws and complete passes around a 60% clip. 3rd and 5+ can't be a death sentence. It has been way to many times.

Most efficient games played by UNLV QBs the last few years. Stanton vs Fresno, Gilliam vs SDSU and Roger's vs Reno. All wins.

Reactions: RebelinWA
A destroyed program, like Maxson did so completely at UNLV, must be built from the ground up. TS has tried to do that but if he is let go, the next HC needs to pour a new foundation and built from there. The guys who have been successful in doing that have routinely been young inovative college guys who know and accept the vast differences between college and pro football.

Ground up? I thought that is what the facility was for. I thought that is what the stadium was accomplishing. Those were the new foundations they were building the program on.

For the last decade its been 'we need a facility and a new stadium'.

Now those are here or will be shortly and the murmurs are already starting this isn't enough?

Unless UNLV can secure a big money booster/boosters to help attract a high end coach, Coach Sanchez or who ever the next coach is should Sanchez not turn it around, will just have to make due with a 30 million dollar facility and a billion dollar state of the art stadium.

Last edited:
Ground up? I thought that is what the facility was for. I thought that is what the stadium was accomplishing. Those were the new foundations they were building the program on.....
Exactly my point. If TS is let go, the next HC will need to build the program from that point. Thanks

Good. The program would have died in 2 years or less.

Really? Died? Hyperbole much?

Jim Mora wouldn't have killed the program. I wouldn't have been crazy about him as a hire, but he wouldn't have killed the program.

What will kill the program ultimately is lack of excitement and interest.

Golden Knights are here.
Raiders are coming.
There is still UNLV basketball to contend with. Even more so if Menzies is fired, and name hire is made to replace him. This is a basketball town.

Why those things matter is people only have so much disposable income.

It is imperative that UNLV football starts to win soon and get people out to games. If not they better hope they have created a strong enough case for P5 acceptance. Otherwise the program will die.
I don’t think it’s a basketball town, it’s up for grabs and UNLV has alienated past and future fans.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
I don’t think it’s a basketball town, it’s up for grabs and UNLV has alienated past and future fans.
Good point. If it is a basketball town, it's due to Tark. What we need to do in football is find the next young Tark, but in football, and make sure the administration supports him 100%.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT