ADVERTISEMENT

Jace Whiting

Jace is a returned missionary so I think his second year back will be an eye opener for Rebel fans. All State HS averaging over 24 points a game. Played 15 minutes in NCAA game so he was coming around. I think he will see a lot of passes from our point guards. A little small at 6'3 but I liked his intensity vs us and USU that I watched on tv.

As a junior in Utah he was 5'10. Moved to Burley with his dad as coach and became all time leading scorer at Burley HS while growing to 6'1 now he is 6'3". Looks like KK got his back up point guard too.

Reactions: unlove
As a junior in Utah he was 5'10. Moved to Burley with his dad as coach and became all time leading scorer at Burley HS while growing to 6'1 now he is 6'3". Looks like KK got his back up point guard too.
Ya know what... I was up very early on the fire CKK train. Would have dumped a truck full of $$ on his firing being imminent.

He has pushed me in the other direction. I still think all extra funds should be pushed towards Foosball (and I think it is), I actually trust the nonsense he's recruiting.

This looks like Boise leftovers. Maybe not, but if so call me unimpressed. Third off the bench in his so. year. Shot 50% from three last year - looks good until you see he only took 30 three point shots the entire year.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority, but I donā€™t have an issue with this signing. We needed someone to back up DJ and be a second ball handler in press situations. I donā€™t think he will be a problem in the locker room either.

Now letā€™s sign Jefferson and call it a day.

I'm not a fan of this signing just because I'm not sure what role he fills? Is he the backup PG? Because if so, I don't see how he gets much PT. I saw that he wanted more PT and playing behind DJ isn't the answer.

Is he the starting SG? Is he better than Hicks? does he take PT away from Hicks? Hicks didn't come back to sit behind him. Lots of questions from my side.

Unless Hicks takes a big jump on both sides of the ball I'm not penciling him in as a starter next year just yet. Let them compete for playing time, we need guards, he fills that Webster roll where he can handle the backup duties but also potentially light it up. Either way, both Portal guys so far are role players in building a "team", just hoping a small splash can be made where there's definitely improvement over what we had...
Maybe Krugers taking a different approach this offseason going for "team" type guys that can ball together vs "me" guys that come hyped but at times play like they're just here for the NIL check... idk, maybe it's also hard to recruit transfers knowing you got 1 year left with the coach

I'm not a fan of this signing just because I'm not sure what role he fills? Is he the backup PG? Because if so, I don't see how he gets much PT. I saw that he wanted more PT and playing behind DJ isn't the answer.

Is he the starting SG? Is he better than Hicks? does he take PT away from Hicks? Hicks didn't come back to sit behind him. Lots of questions from my side.
From my understanding, he was brought on for the sole purpose of wetting Kevin's towel before each game and placing it under his seat on another dry towel.

Unless Hicks takes a big jump on both sides of the ball I'm not penciling him in as a starter next year just yet. Let them compete for playing time, we need guards, he fills that Webster roll where he can handle the backup duties but also potentially light it up. Either way, both Portal guys so far are role players in building a "team", just hoping a small splash can be made where there's definitely improvement over what we had...
Maybe Krugers taking a different approach this offseason going for "team" type guys that can ball together vs "me" guys that come hyped but at times play like they're just here for the NIL check... idk, maybe it's also hard to recruit transfers knowing you got 1 year left with the coach
What am I reading into this. High character guys lol

I may be in the minority, but I donā€™t have an issue with this signing. We needed someone to back up DJ and be a second ball handler in press situations. I donā€™t think he will be a problem in the locker room either.

Now letā€™s sign Jefferson and call it a day.
Me neither IF he can back up the point otherwise it makes no sense. He is a good 3pt shooter but as someone stated he only took about 30 3s this past season. Still have to add a couple of impact players to help DJ and Whaley. The bench is ok, now we need to sign starters.

Me neither IF he can back up the point otherwise it makes no sense. He is a good 3pt shooter but as someone stated he only took about 30 3s this past season. Still have to add a couple of impact players to help DJ and Whaley. The bench is ok, now we need to sign starters.
Thereā€™s only one spot left, or is it two?

Either way, I think weā€™re almost done. Feels like CKK is taking a different approach this time, looking at guys that are ā€œteamā€ first mentality.

I donā€™t think Iā€™m wrong when I say that this past season, the team chemistry was way off and it seemed like everyone was playing for themselves and not each other. Hence the Jekyll and Hyde swings during the season.

Underwhelming is an understatement. Blah.

You know itā€™s reaching when multiple sources state different roles for who he is (PG backup, sharpshooter, etc).

His mom, is the women's head basketball coach for BYU.
And, his sister is the starting PG, for his mom.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelScrub
Heady, serviceable backcourt player. Didn't shoot all that much at BSU so the 'sharpshooter' rep must be seen as simply a carryover from high school. He'll be helpful, but he isn't knocking anyone's socks off.

Jace Whiting bio

looks good until you see he only took 30 three point shots the entire year.
However, we are the same fan base that was saying Hicks was a 40% 3pfg guy with 20 attempts on the year, this guy's sample size is 50% bigger.

All kidding aside, this isn't a program making signing. We knew we needed at least 2 shooters, preferably one with solid defense and a secondary ball-handler/back up point. I think Whiting fills in two of those slots. If you watch his high school tape he's got a pretty solid pull up deep three off the dribble. I would assume his role is probably going to be a lot like Webbie's last year toward the second half before LuRod left--mostly as a catch and shoot wing, with 8-10 minutes as the back up point.

If we had already signed a top end 3&D wing recruit which I think is this team's most glaring, then I'd be less depressed about addressing depth concerns first. We definitely needed wing/guard depth, but I'd like to go out and get the prize first and fill in the depth second--this feels like the opposite strategy which makes me think either Krugs is waiting for someone in particular OR he's just missed on the bigger targets.

He also has much better advanced defensive stats than Webbie, but that's kind of like saying you had more wins than DePaul last year. Not exactly a high bar for success.

So if you consider Henley is probably analogous to LuRod, and a clear improvement on Shawn Nowell, and Whiting is probably an improvement across the board on Webbie, these are recruits that are improving the team--I just wish that we were improving them by a larger margin.

We need guard depth and someone that can be a back up PG role or even a second playmaker passes on the floor.
We need shooters too, not sure if he will fill that role or not. Hard to say either way.
Doesn't knock my socks off, but he does give us some of the things that we need.

He also has much better advanced defensive stats than Webbie, but that's kind of like saying you had more wins than DePaul last year. Not exactly a high bar for success.

So if you consider Henley is probably analogous to LuRod, and a clear improvement on Shawn Nowell, and Whiting is probably an improvement across the board on Webbie, these are recruits that are improving the team--I just wish that we were improving them by a larger margin.
The problem is, we also need to replace the Boones.

If the plan is for either this guy or Hicks to be our starting 2 then my question is what's everyone's guess as to who we play in the first round of the CBI next year?

Yes, we still need to replace Keylan. I think there is assumptions that the players in the program or already signed as recruits will fill Kalib's role. I do think we can benefit from bringing in another 5, but if we only have 2 scholarships left, Id rather 2 starting guards/wings.
Have we heard anything about Brock Vice joining the team? There was a thread on the FB page about him being at the spring game...

Yes, we still need to replace Keylan. I think there is assumptions that the players in the program or already signed as recruits will fill Kalib's role. I do think we can benefit from bringing in another 5, but if we only have 2 scholarships left, Id rather 2 starting guards/wings.
Have we heard anything about Brock Vice joining the team? There was a thread on the FB page about him being at the spring game...
I don't know that we have anyone on the roster that is ready to fill either of the Boone's shoes. Although Kalib was sporadic, he had the ability to dominate games, like he did against Creighton. He also blocked and altered a lot of shots. Are we thinking that the JC guy will be similar? Maybe, but I haven't seen much of him so IDK. Replacing Keylan will be really tough. He could create his own shots, get to the line, hit 3's, and rebound. I don't see any of our guys with his skill set, but I hope to be wrong.

Have we heard anything about Brock Vice joining the team?
There was a thread on the FB page about him being at the spring game...
This!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
You're preaching to the choir. You would ideally have signed an upgrade to LuRod and an upgrade to KeBoone as your first priorities. Instead we're upgrading Justin Webster, JJ3, and Nowell.

Maybe Evans is the one freshman that KK doesn't hook for 3 games after one mistake, but somehow I doubt it and while I think Evans has a lot of upside, I wouldn't think he's ready to put the scoring on his shoulders right out the gate like you got with KeBoone. I'm expecting slightly better than Brooklyn HIcks numbers from Evans next year. Probably 16-18 mpg probably 6 ppg and 3 rpg.

I think you'll be able to replace KaBoone and Karl Jones's stats an minutes with a combo of Bear Cherry, Jacob Bannarbie, Pape N'Diaye at the 5. You can even flex Hill down to play the five if you want to run small ball.

It feels like our philosophy right now is having a better bench matters, but if you don't replace starters with equal or better players how much better are you really? I would argue that you're probably actually worse off.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Hicks has a lot of positives a Freshman not being one of them. He is not one dimensional. Just needs to mature and i think he will be sought after in year 3. If he puts the work in i can see him being ALL MWC 1st team or 2nd. Kid is good ,besides the bone headed plays he makes. Kid is fearless. Washington was on him this offseason. Probably more.

Well the Boones were a problem themselves last season. A lot of hype but they were very inconsistent in their efforts. If they had the effort and heart like Royce Hamm did, we would have won 24 games or more easily.

It also looked like the players werenā€™t close with those two either, zero chemistry on court and probably off the court. I may be crazy for saying this but weā€™re not going to miss anyone that left from last season.

Hicks has a lot of positives a Freshman not being one of them. He is not one dimensional. Just needs to mature and i think he will be sought after in year 3. If he puts the work in i can see him being ALL MWC 1st team or 2nd. Kid is good ,besides the bone headed plays he makes. Kid is fearless. Washington was on him this offseason. Probably more.
Hicks needs to develop his offense more. The tools are there but the problem is he only had one move in his arsenal. If the opponent looked at any tape of unlv, they would know what to expect with Hicks. Which is penetrating the lane, stop, pump fake, fake a pass to the left, swivel around and shoot.

He did that almost every time he had the ball, it was annoying that he wasnā€™t trying anything else but he was a freshman thrown in the fire. If he can add more moves and improve his shooting, he could be very dynamic next to DJ. Thatā€™s a big IF though.

Hicks needs to develop his offense more. The tools are there but the problem is he only had one move in his arsenal. If the opponent looked at any tape of unlv, they would know what to expect with Hicks. Which is penetrating the lane, stop, pump fake, fake a pass to the left, swivel around and shoot.

He did that almost every time he had the ball, it was annoying that he wasnā€™t trying anything else but he was a freshman thrown in the fire. If he can add more moves and improve his shooting, he could be very dynamic next to DJ. Thatā€™s a big IF though.
Boom. Spotted the same thing.

Well the Boones were a problem themselves last season. A lot of hype but they were very inconsistent in their efforts. If they had the effort and heart like Royce Hamm did, we would have won 24 games or more easily.

It also looked like the players werenā€™t close with those two either, zero chemistry on court and probably off the court. I may be crazy for saying this but weā€™re not going to miss anyone that left from last season.
They had Chemistry with each other, but otherwise yeah, at times it was frustrating that both disappeared from the game. I dont think you have to replace both completely if your replacing the rest of the team around DTJ/Rob with better players overall because the hope is getting production from 8-10 is better than just 5 starters like we had so often last year. There's also one surprise player each year that breaks out for us out of no where but usually has no true support around him and has to carry the team. Until otherwise signed, it seems our hope is that we get a breakout player who has supporting talent around him.

Kelan is a special player. I donā€™t know how you would replace him? I hope he get to the NBA somehow. Heā€™s a complete player all around but his mentality might prevint it

There are some good players on this list who are not out of our price range.

There are some good players on this list who are not out of our price range.

His mom, is the women's head basketball coach for BYU.
And, his sister is the starting PG, for his mom.

Kelan is a special player. I donā€™t know how you would replace him? I hope he get to the NBA somehow. Heā€™s a complete player all around but his mentality might prevint it
a guy who led his team to the NITā€¦lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT