ADVERTISEMENT

Issac Lindsey commits.

Buffel

Starter
Apr 16, 2019
So guard Isaac Lindsay a guard from Mineral point , Wisconsin has committed to UNLV for the 2020 class according to verbal commits. Didn't see this coming. Anyone have any info and is he gonna take a scholarship spot that could've gone to a more talented player?

24/7, while not the be all end all, doesn't have much "nice" to say. Cool Interest from Iowa and Purdue (no offier), warm interest from Wisconsin but no offer, and offers from Wisconsin-GB, Wisconson-Mil, South Dak St, DePaul.

Menzies' staff (Rob Jeter) offered Isaac Lindsey a year and a half ago. Jeter had also recruited Lindsey when he was head coach at Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Lindsey had a lot of smaller school offers, also one Big East (Depaul) and one Ivy League (Brown) which usually gets a lot of consideration from parents, because the player would be getting an education that would cost a couple hundred thousand dollars.

The recruiting sites are poor for players until they get a "third star".

Great start to my Christmas Day as I received an offer from Coach Menzies, Coach Jeter, and the coaching staff at UNLV ! #runninrebels

9:15 AM · Dec 25, 2017 · [URL='https://help.twitter.com/using-twitter/how-to-tweet#source-labels']Twitter for iPhone[/URL]

Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits

2020 Mineral Point (WI) G Isaac Lindsey has received an offer from UNLV. (HT @ny2lasports) @IsaacLindsey10 http://verbalcommits.com/players/isaac-lindsey …1612:28 PM - Dec 25, 2017

NY2LA SPORTS @ny2lasports
Dec 25, 2017
2020 G IsaacLindsey of Mineral Point (WI) & @WisconsinSwing has added an offer from UNLV@TheRunninRebels

Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits

Apr 13, 2018
2020 Mineral Point (WI) G IsaacLindsey has received an offer from DePaul. (HT
@WisBBYearbook
@IsaacLindsey10

Phenom University @PhenomUniverse

Aug 1, 2018
2020 G IsaacLindsey
@IsaacLindsey10
has added an offer from Head Coach Mike Martin and Brown University

https://twitter.com/wiscoadvisors

TJ is all in on a number of 2020 recruits. My concern is that we may not have enough scholorships if some of the other higher rates players want to commit. Am I wrong?

Reactions: 9th_Islander
So guard Isaac Lindsay a guard from Mineral point , Wisconsin has committed to UNLV for the 2020 class according to verbal commits. Didn't see this coming. Anyone have any info and is he gonna take a scholarship spot that could've gone to a more talented player?

Some players will leave early just like this year. Players that don't get much playing time will transfer.

TJ is all in on a number of 2020 recruits. My concern is that we may not have enough scholorships if some of the other higher rates players want to commit. Am I wrong?
I think Otz is starting to recruit over the end of the bench players like Green & Coleman. Trying to upgrade the overall talent of the team.

He (Otz) seems to definitely like a full team of shooters. I think this brand of basketball is going to be more entertaining than what we have seen the past few years

At the very least this should be better than Dave Rice recruiting athletes, telling them about the freedom they would have in the offense, and then watching them throw up one three-pointer after another.

At the very least this should be better than Dave Rice recruiting athletes, telling them about the freedom they would have in the offense, and then watching them throw up one three-pointer after another.

If they don't play defense it's all moot. We're not going to be much better without defense.

If they don't play defense it's all moot. We're not going to be much better without defense.

When he was hired this spring, the local media did like to comment that TJO's defense at S Dakota St was not good. That was true, but they forgot to mention that S Dakota St's defensive efficiency numbers were improving each year under TJO and in year 2 for Menzies and TJO both UNLV and SDSU were around 180th nationally and in year 3 UNLV stayed around 180th but SDSU improved to around 140th. Yes, still bad but at least trending to better.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
When he was hired this spring, the local media did like to comment that TJO's defense at S Dakota St was not good. That was true, but they forgot to mention that S Dakota St's defensive efficiency numbers were improving each year under TJO and in year 2 for Menzies and TJO both UNLV and SDSU were around 180th nationally and in year 3 UNLV stayed around 180th but SDSU improved to around 140th. Yes, still bad but at least trending to better.
With an up tempo system, points allowed will typically be higher and not necessarily the best indicator of the quality of defense a team plays. Some of Tark's teams in the late 70's gave up close to 90 ppg. On the other hand, a stall ball system like Bo Ryan's would make him look like a defensive guru which really wasn't the case either. Too lazy to look now but I'd be more interested in seeing SDSU's opponent's FG%, rebounding margins, turnovers forced, etc.

True but if we can play offense it’s a good start. When was the last time we had a good offense? If we ever have a good offense it would certainly make the team a lot more fun to watch.

If we can have a good offense and actually win it might even fill up some seats so we could have an actual home court advantage.

With an up tempo system, points allowed will typically be higher and not necessarily the best indicator of the quality of defense a team plays. Some of Tark's teams in the late 70's gave up close to 90 ppg. On the other hand, a stall ball system like Bo Ryan's would make him look like a defensive guru which really wasn't the case either. Too lazy to look now but I'd be more interested in seeing SDSU's opponent's FG%, rebounding margins, turnovers forced, etc.

Defensive Efficiency is pace independent and is based on points per 100 possessions adjusted for pace. So that stats provided previously in the thread consider that and show the defense was improving not just smoke and mirrors. However, 140 is still poor but as the poster said trending in the right direction. There is something to be said for live ball TO% as they typically lead to points.

I think we see them trying to get a bunch of shooters and to surround a few quality big men with an athletic wing. In some ways, shooters are the hardest thing to find, imo. I just hope the shooters are athletic enough to play D1 defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT