ADVERTISEMENT

Give Me Offense

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
A good defensive player may slow down a good offensive player but in the end the offense is gonna score. I understand that CKK wants to put a good defensive team on the floor but it breaks down completely when you have 2 guys that routinely score less than 5 points. Would you rather have Parquet hold a 17 pt per game scorer under his average to 14 pts and score 0 pts himself or have Hall play and let that guy score 22 but Hall gives you 17pts? Harkless gave you -14 in production and Hall gives you -5 its in production. Give me the offense.

No matter what philosophy you come up with you have to outscore the other team to win the game. Impossible to do that when you consistently have 3-4 guys you cannot count on to put points on the board. Going forward I would love to see 8-9 offensive guys on the team and CKK just has to tell them that the guys that play the best D will see the floor the most. Defense is a matter of pride and desire and anyone that is talented offensively can achieve a level of proficiency on that end of the floor especially if playing time is attached to it.

Recruiting 101, don't recruit anybody that isn't a scorer and can't make free throws. The only exception being a power forward or center that can consistently grab 12- 20 rebounds. One more time now, if you want to win games you have to score more points than the other team and if you only have 1 or 2 guys you can count on it is soooo much easier for the other team to come up with a scheme to slow them down and win the game.

Give me more points!

Pay attention CKK

I TOTALLY agree. Amazing that we never have a scoring center. Always a project. Also , we should have multiple “shooters”. Also, Gilbert is not a point guard. A turnover machine which is unacceptable for ANY point guard. I like Kevin, but we need a big uptick in recruiting. Amazing that San Jose and Fresno both swept us. Totally unacceptable.

I TOTALLY agree. Amazing that we never have a scoring center. Always a project. Also , we should have multiple “shooters”. Also, Gilbert is not a point guard. A turnover machine which is unacceptable for ANY point guard. I like Kevin, but we need a big uptick in recruiting. Amazing that San Jose and Fresno both swept us. Totally unacceptable.
Pretty much!

A good defensive player may slow down a good offensive player but in the end the offense is gonna score. I understand that CKK wants to put a good defensive team on the floor but it breaks down completely when you have 2 guys that routinely score less than 5 points. Would you rather have Parquet hold a 17 pt per game scorer under his average to 14 pts and score 0 pts himself or have Hall play and let that guy score 22 but Hall gives you 17pts? Harkless gave you -14 in production and Hall gives you -5 its in production. Give me the offense.

No matter what philosophy you come up with you have to outscore the other team to win the game. Impossible to do that when you consistently have 3-4 guys you cannot count on to put points on the board. Going forward I would love to see 8-9 offensive guys on the team and CKK just has to tell them that the guys that play the best D will see the floor the most. Defense is a matter of pride and desire and anyone that is talented offensively can achieve a level of proficiency on that end of the floor especially if playing time is attached to it.

Recruiting 101, don't recruit anybody that isn't a scorer and can't make free throws. The only exception being a power forward or center that can consistently grab 12- 20 rebounds. One more time now, if you want to win games you have to score more points than the other team and if you only have 1 or 2 guys you can count on it is soooo much easier for the other team to come up with a scheme to slow them down and win the game.

Give me more points!

Pay attention CKK
I’ve always, always, always have maintained that offense is difficult and defense is easy when it comes to coaching. Offense is about spacing, timing, scheme, player familiarity … defense is more about demand than scheme. That’s simplistic, but in general that holds true. And I think it’s the very reason why MOST coaches focus on defense – all coaches can demand players go hard with whatever they do and if they do, you are going to be adequate defensively. Offense is much more complex and there’s definitely more of an element of skill involved. So coaches spend more time on defense and it becomes their cornerstone. I’d rather have a great offense. Back in the day, UNLV was obviously an incredible defensive team and that defense created a lot of offensive points. But UNLV’s half court offense was really good. People don’t realize it, but the half court sets were good. They didn’t run a lot and it wasn’t complex at all, but the plays they did run they were very precise. Solid screen setting, spacing, ball delivered to the right spot at the right time. It was beautiful. But they had multi-ability across the positions, there were few one trick ponies (usually from the bench), there was versatility (and quite frankly, some dominance).

Give me more points!

Pay attention CKK
What world have you been watching Hall score 17ppg in? I mean he had a nice explosive game vs USU where he got run and scored 19, and they just couldnt match up against him, but he has been average to bad offensively against better teams in the conference and fouls way to easily on the defensive end of the ball- which isnt helping the +/- number. Kids a freshman, so I don't fault him for that, its to be expected from most freshmen.

I do however agree with your main point by not recruiting consistent scorers, the 8-12ppg guys, to go with a Harkless, you end up with a bunch of undersized guards that are either streaky hot or very cold. They struggle to get to the rim against bigger guards and they settle for bad shot. This is especially clear in close games, down or up a basket or 2, we tend to take poor shots or run poor offensive sets and either fail to overcome the deficit or fail to build the lead. Case in point last night, we were down 2 at around the 2 minute mark and instead of driving to the rim, someone settled for a bad jump shot behind the 3 point line. Its just bad rudimentary basketball. Theres also the "lack of size" that kills us. Like if we could get a 6-6 or taller guard that can shoot like Webster instead of hoping the 6'-0" guard can play defense against a 6-6 guy. Roster building when you go to heavy on one type is just as bad as a team full of bigs that can score or rebound....

Reactions: j. spilotro
If Hall played 25 minutes a game he WOULD score 17 a game. By far , our best inside scorer. Don’t tell me, you would rather have Parquet and Victor scoring their five points a game.

If Hall played 25 minutes a game he WOULD score 17 a game. By far , our best inside scorer. Don’t tell me, you would rather have Parquet and Victor scoring their five points a game.
Im not arguing the benefit of either. Having basically been out of contention for last 7 or 8 games, we should've been playing him a lot more in order to continue his development and comparing his inside scoring abilities with brick hands Muoka or Iwuakor is a no brainer he's "more" talented.
That being said, hes not averaging 17ppg in 25 minutes of play. Thats a ridiculous statement and would put him right behind the 2 best freshman in the country- Miller at Alabama and Dickinson at Michigan... heck even 3rd is Keyonte George at BAYLOR... Just watching his body of work, Hes exactly what you expect to see from a freshman who has raw talent but still lacks a ton of control and shot selection. Hes also undersized physically to play at the 5 spot the way Iwuakor does(not that I think Iwuakor is a valued asset with his inability to contribute really anything). He also commits a ton of offensive fouls because of the control issues and couldn't get up to 25 minutes in a game because of fouls trouble on both ends. Hes a matchup guard that will completely give people nightmares in a few years, especially if he learns to control his movements with the ball and defend straight up without fouling. In the future, he shouldnt be asked to play the 5, like Joe Darger, because of poor roster construction.

So Hall would be the fourth-highest scorer in the MW playing only 25 minutes a game? I don't think so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT