ADVERTISEMENT

If we lose two

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
I'm thinking the odds are 100% we lose SDSU and over 50% we lose another team ( Colorado State?)

If we lose SDSU and Colorado State what should the MWC do? If we add teams who should we approach? Should the MWC consider merging with another conference? Does anyone have confidence the new MWC commissioner can handle this task?

I'm thinking the odds are 100% we lose SDSU and over 50% we lose another team ( Colorado State?)

If we lose SDSU and Colorado State what should the MWC do? If we add teams who should we approach? Should the MWC consider merging with another conference? Does anyone have confidence the new MWC commissioner can handle this task?
If the PAC 12 loses more teams to the big 12 we should try to get into the severely weakened pac12. Mwc would be in danger of folding (i don't know this, just wouldn't be surprised).

Biggest problem is there aren't as many schools west of the Mississippi. There's really. nobody to poach..

UTEP? NMSU?

Maybe try and do a super conference with the AAC? (Not the ACC).

I don't know.

Biggest problem is there aren't as many schools west of the Mississippi. There's really. nobody to poach..

UTEP? NMSU?

Maybe try and do a super conference with the AAC? (Not the ACC).

I don't know.
IMO, a good option is the AAC. Next year they will have 14 teams in two 7 team divisions ( East and West). If they could add two teams ( Us and another East team) we would be better off than we will be with the MWC.

But, I have no confidence we have the leadership that can get this or some other out-of-the-box solution done.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
IMO, a good option is the AAC. Next year they will have 14 teams in two 7 team divisions ( East and West). If they could add two teams ( Us and another East team) we would be better off than we will be with the MWC.

But, I have no confidence we have the leadership that can get this or some other out-of-the-box solution done.

This day has been a long time coming.

Apathy.
Indecision.
Resting on laurels.
Lack of funding.
Ineptitude.
No foresight.
ETC. ETC.

Have lead to where we are at now.

If the AAC calls you jump on it in my opinion.

I mean I guess you could hold out to get into the PAC, but what is that even going to look like?

The question will be settled after the NCAA tournament. How Arizona and UCLA do in terms of advancement and money in the tournament will once again bring to mind that money pays for sports and Title IX and minor sports do not pay for themselves except for Volleyball and some Gymnastic Womens Teams. Eyeballs pay the rent just as buns in the seats pay for the overpriced and pompous professors of wokeism.

Just an opinion, but I don't think we will ever go to the PAC. I believe there are some snooty PAC Presidents who believe that UNLV isn't a "real" university and they would never vote to accept us.

If by us you mean everyone but idiots...

Yes.

Sorry.

Idiot!
Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

When the AAC lost Cincinnati, Houston and UCF they went out and got six new programs for their conference. Each addition was not the caliber of one of the lost schools but combined, they helped mitigate the loss.

I don't even hear a whisper about what the MWC is planning to survive.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
When the AAC lost Cincinnati, Houston and UCF they went out and got six new programs for their conference. Each addition was not the caliber of one of the lost schools but combined, they helped mitigate the loss.

I don't even hear a whisper about what the MWC is planning to survive.

Honestly what are their options?
Asking conversationally not attacking your point or post.

Expand East?

Poach Utep and NMSU?

NDSU, Weber State, E. Washington? Would they even qualify for FBS? I don't know the requirements..

Minimum requirements

I think we need to be looking to :

1. Join the AAC or:
2. Add NMSU, UTEP, and two current FCS programs or
3 Add NMSU, UTEP and Basketball only GCU, LBSU, UCSB and add Hawaii to full membership.

I do fear 9 schools in a Conference is not going to cut it. We will lose our TV contract in its current form and will lose loads of $$ along with it. We need to add viewership to make up the losses or we're screwed. That means adding programs in larger T.V. markets if possible. That's why the AAC added six schools to replace three that they lost. We can live going from a T.V. payout of $ 4 mil a school to $ 3 Mil. But we can't go to $ 500,000 a school and exist.

Waiting around and hoping the Big 12 or Pac 12 is not a strategy. We need to include that in a strategy, but not depend on it.

Last edited:
Please do not add nmsu. UTEP okay but not nmsu. I would rather UTSA or Louisiana Tech or North Texas. But avoid nmsu like the plague

But do they want us?
I am pretty sure that the Big 12 does not want us.

They have given us 2 really strong looks with expansion before, and couldn't even sniff a top 4 in the past. And once they decided against expansion at all. Then took the schools that they half way considered once UT and OU left.

It was really Pac 12 or bust, and that has busted apparently since we have been specifically excluded publically by someone in the know.

the one hope is that SDSU is apparently official, with a poorer academic standing, so excluding us for academic reasons seems fishy. But the PAC want in So Cal, and SDSU makes the most sense. We don't bring nearly as much as they do from a market perspective.

So it is trying to make the best out of the leftovers really.

Reactions: NSU67
the one hope is that SDSU is apparently official, with a poorer academic standing, so excluding us for academic reasons seems fishy.
Other than t1 research status, im what measurable way are we academically more highly regarded than SDSU?

I keep seeing this tossed around, but have yet to find anything that really indicates it.

Other than t1 research status, im what measurable way are we academically more highly regarded than SDSU?

I keep seeing this tossed around, but have yet to find anything that really indicates it.
Good point, I haven't seen that either. Most Califonia state schools have a pretty good reputation. I have just heard that here. "Worst in the MW". But no idea where that is coming from.

Good point, I haven't seen that either. Most Califonia state schools have a pretty good reputation. I have just heard that here. "Worst in the MW". But no idea where that is coming from.
I have heard that Cal Berkeley thinks lower of the Cal State system than it does of the UC system, but that argument only gets so far when it comes to athletics since there are no other FBS-playing UC schools to consider.

Looking at US News and World Report:

Just going on a quick look there, SDSU is considerably higher among what their list calls "national universities"... I haven't dug into their methodology at all, so no idea what it really means or is sourced from.

Reactions: dcut03
For some reason I thought we were better academically. I don't understand how Colorado ST is so far ahead of us in academics. The only reason I can think of is Funding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT