ADVERTISEMENT

If this is true.....

Rebel_Luv

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
This confirms my worries CKK does not have the faith or support with NIL money to get us where we CAN be. Not saying the same as a Kansas or Kentucky, but definitely more than this! Thomas also supposedly got 400k plus. This according to Mathis? The NEWS guy for UNLV .I hope it was not 500k total and DJ got 400k of it. Hopefully DJ got a special bonus of sorts. If not we are screwed.

Ultimately people will figure out that college age kids, who have zero chance of ever going pro, are not worth the huge paychecks they are getting. How long will it be before schools cut their athletic department, or move to a lower level of athletics?

This confirms my worries CKK does not have the faith or support with NIL money to get us where we CAN be. Not saying the same as a Kansas or Kentucky, but definitely more than this! Thomas also supposedly got 400k plus. This according to Mathis? The NEWS guy for UNLV .I hope it was not 500k total and DJ got 400k of it. Hopefully DJ got a special bonus of sorts. If not we are screwed.
I don’t think it’s that low.

I don’t know if Dedan was reconfigured or what he’s getting right now, but my understanding is for that first year; it was a small percentage of what’s named in that post. Maybe it was bumped. And it still pales in comparison to what others were offering, yet he stayed.

I hate all this NIL jazz.

If we are going to keep a guy like CKK then dump that money into Women's Basketball. Let's get something for our money.

We aren't a P5 and unless our program can find those heavy lifters on the donation side we wont be able to offer large bags to players... I'm guessing 500k is actually pretty good for a G5/mid-major program. That's why tactically our recruiting and our "targets" should change to reflect that. There's plenty of talent good enough to win the conference and as mid-majors that's what you want... then you are in and anything can happen. Seems like this season our primary targets are the high scoring mid-major guys that are heading to P5 schools and paydays. The talent evaluation needs to be at the low mid-majors looking at players that are about to break out, getting them for a year or 2, and then replacing them when they leave. It does require some luck in finding that player, but there's a lot of them and we see them every NCAA tournament in the 13, 14, 15 seeds...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
We aren't a P5 and unless our program can find those heavy lifters on the donation side we wont be able to offer large bags to players... I'm guessing 500k is actually pretty good for a G5/mid-major program. That's why tactically our recruiting and our "targets" should change to reflect that. There's plenty of talent good enough to win the conference and as mid-majors that's what you want... then you are in and anything can happen. Seems like this season our primary targets are the high scoring mid-major guys that are heading to P5 schools and paydays. The talent evaluation needs to be at the low mid-majors looking at players that are about to break out, getting them for a year or 2, and then replacing them when they leave. It does require some luck in finding that player, but there's a lot of them and we see them every NCAA tournament in the 13, 14, 15 seeds...
The programs with the big NIL $$ will far outstrip the G5 and lower level P5. It will get more and more exaggerated each year. There is no doubt there are a couple of dozen previously unknown diamonds coming available each year. But there are 75-100 teams chasing them. Including the big p-5 looking for quality bench players. Occasionally. a G5 program will strike it rich and get 3 or 4 recently revealed nice players. They will get in the dance and win a couple of games. But not beyond that.

Think of it as the "A"s and the Dodgers or Yankees without a salary cap. You can bank that 9 out of 10 years the Dodgers would be in the playoffs chasing a pennant. And the "A"s will get to the playoffs 1 out of 10 years before they sell off their good players. This is why a salary cap exists. Without it there would only be competition between a few teams and nobody else would be worth watching.

Unless there is a change in either NIL or unlimited transfers the years of G-5 even remotely competing with P-5 will be over in a few years if not next year.

Reactions: billd99s
That number is way too low from what I have heard.

Reactions: rebelwithacause
500k is super low for a total NIL budget - that is the going rate for just 1 top 20 recruit - that is for 1 year

Reactions: bcvegaspt
The programs with the big NIL $$ will far outstrip the G5 and lower level P5. It will get more and more exaggerated each year. There is no doubt there are a couple of dozen previously unknown diamonds coming available each year. But there are 75-100 teams chasing them. Including the big p-5 looking for quality bench players. Occasionally. a G5 program will strike it rich and get 3 or 4 recently revealed nice players. They will get in the dance and win a couple of games. But not beyond that.

Think of it as the "A"s and the Dodgers or Yankees without a salary cap. You can bank that 9 out of 10 years the Dodgers would be in the playoffs chasing a pennant. And the "A"s will get to the playoffs 1 out of 10 years before they sell off their good players. This is why a salary cap exists. Without it there would only be competition between a few teams and nobody else would be worth watching.

Unless there is a change in either NIL or unlimited transfers the years of G-5 even remotely competing with P-5 will be over in a few years if not next year.
I see it heading the same direction. The elites want it this way. They’ll just get richer, the mids and lows will suffer.

Something has to step in and save it. But I don’t see it happening. I really don’t.

Reactions: pdt118
I see it heading the same direction. The elites want it this way. They’ll just get richer, the mids and lows will suffer.

Something has to step in and save it. But I don’t see it happening. I really don’t.
It'll split back into the P4 division and the G5 division with 2 separate Championships, financial structures, etc. Money will go to P4, and then a smaller amount similar to structure now to G5s... on occasion P4s will poach top G5 markets or programs to increase market share, but really keep it clean and tight. G5s will complain that they've lost competitive ability and that the P4s have established a monopoly of sorts...

We have *buy outs for coaches, why not start it with players? Make those P5 schools pay even more if that's the way it's going to be.

Last edited:
First, let blame KK for lack of NIL money. Along the same logic let’s blame KK for lack of money to pay a competitive coaches salary.
The lack of NIL will keep us from being competitive nationally.

Our current NIL allows us to vie for the top of conference and among extended peers, which amounts to an NCAA bid …

Our current NIL allows us to vie for the top of conference and among extended peers, which amounts to an NCAA bid …
I don’t disagree with that at all. But position of past UNLV administrators has been that basketball will take care of it itself resulting in no commitment to the program. If you want to win there has to be a commitment to winning. It’s starts first with the salaries paid to the coaches. With recent changes next comes the commitment to raising money for the NIL. Neither is the responsibility of the coach. When Arkansas hired Calipari there was a commitment in place to pay him $8 mill and a commitment was already in place of $5 mill in NIL money. Cal didn’t have to go out and raise the $5 mill!

From the Bleacher Report:

“Arkansas' investment in the men's basketball program will reportedly extend well beyond a contract for incoming coach John Calipari.
ESPN's Pete Thamel and Jeff Borzello reported Sunday night the Razorbacks are finalizing a five-year deal with Calipari to seal his exit from Kentucky, and his salary is expected to be a little lower than the $8.5 million he earns annually with the Wildcats.
While going from Kentucky to Arkansas is a step down in terms of prestige, On3's Pete Nakos reported that NIL "cannot be overlooked in Calipari's decision-making."

"Having dollars to spend in the transfer portal and recruiting won't be a problem in Fayetteville," Nakos wrote. "A source told On3 on Sunday night that Calipari will have 'at least' $5 million annually in NIL funds to disperse. The same source estimated the budget will be in the $6 million ballpark."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115999-report-john-calipari-will-have-at-least-5m-in-annual-nil-funds-to-use-at-arkansas#:~:text=Arkansas%20Razorbacks%20Basketball-,Report%3A%20John%20Calipari%20Will%20Have%20'At%20Least'%20%245M,Funds%20to%20Use%20at%20Arkansas&text=Arkansas'%20investment%20in%20the%20men's,for%20incoming%20coach%20John%20Calipari.

Last edited:
So now, if there is a coaching change at any school the first question will be salary. The next will be what is the NIL budget for basketball.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I don’t disagree with that at all. But position of past UNLV administrators has been that basketball will take care of it itself resulting in no commitment to the program. If you want to win there has to be a commitment to winning. It’s starts first with the salaries paid to the coaches. With recent changes next comes the commitment to raising money for the NIL. Neither is the responsibility of the coach. When Arkansas hired Calipari there was a commitment in place to pay him $8 mill and a commitment was already in place of $5 mill in NIL money. Cal didn’t have to go out and raise the $5 mill!

“Arkansas' investment in the men's basketball program will reportedly extend well beyond a contract for incoming coach John Calipari.
ESPN's Pete Thamel and Jeff Borzello reported Sunday night the Razorbacks are finalizing a five-year deal with Calipari to seal his exit from Kentucky, and his salary is expected to be a little lower than the $8.5 million he earns annually with the Wildcats.
While going from Kentucky to Arkansas is a step down in terms of prestige, On3's Pete Nakos reported that NIL "cannot be overlooked in Calipari's decision-making."

"Having dollars to spend in the transfer portal and recruiting won't be a problem in Fayetteville," Nakos wrote. "A source told On3 on Sunday night that Calipari will have 'at least' $5 million annually in NIL funds to disperse. The same source estimated the budget will be in the $6 million ballpark."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115999-report-john-calipari-will-have-at-least-5m-in-annual-nil-funds-to-use-at-arkansas#:~:text=Arkansas%20Razorbacks%20Basketball-,Report%3A%20John%20Calipari%20Will%20Have%20'At%20Least'%20%245M,Funds%20to%20Use%20at%20Arkansas&text=Arkansas'%20investment%20in%20the%20men's,for%20incoming%20coach%20John%20Calipari.
Some fans would want way more than a conference title or NCAA bid. Most fans would be ecstatic (at least for awhile) with that though. And we have the NIL to do that, we have the budget to do that. But we haven’t been close to that. Kentucky’s budget, KU’s budget, Duke’s budget have zero impact on UNLV’s lack of competing from within the MWC.

Seems like some are using strong hyperbole when fans are unhappy by implying people are upset because we can’t compete with the Cats or Jayhawks when the reality is that most are upset because we are closer to San Jose than Utah State.

Reactions: TimothyC3

$5 mill seems like a lot but initially it was reported the Arkansas said the NIL for Cal was north of $7mill...did it just shrink?

It may be sad I have sunk to this but right now I would be happy with being the top of the MWC. Even though we wouldn't be nationally competitive. Being top of the MWC is way ahead of where we have been the past decade++.
After that step then let's look at being a top 25 team.

Reactions: Takethat702
$5 mill seems like a lot but initially it was reported the Arkansas said the NIL for Cal was north of $7mill...did it just shrink?
Interesting tidbit.

Number of billionaires residing in Arkansas: 7
Number of billionaires residing in Nevada: 16

Even 5M Is 400k average per player … that’s a lot.
Are schools under reporting the NIL money because of taxes reason? I would think the donation would be a tax write off for these corporations. We saw a glimpse of what Houston offered DJ.
Go ahead Nate Jackson what do you think Kelvin Sampson and U. of Houston offered DJ?

Last edited:
All the billionaires in Nevada don't give a damn about college sports. Might be a few exceptions depending on the weather
Maybe it is more along the line of not making millionaires out of college athletes who in most cases never will come even close to playing in a professional league. You write that these billionaires in Nevada don't give a damn about college sports, and I see it as these are lower level professionals being paid way above what the market should be able to bear! It is already completely out of hand, and sooner or later the college system of sports is going to start to crash and burn for most of the colleges.

Maybe it is more along the line of not making millionaires out of college athletes who in most cases never will come even close to playing in a professional league. You write that these billionaires in Nevada don't give a damn about college sports, and I see it as these are lower level professionals being paid way above what the market should be able to bear! It is already completely out of hand, and sooner or later the college system of sports is going to start to crash and burn for most of the colleges.
True that. Yet, these colleges need these players to keep them relevant. So, they have to pay.

Are schools under reporting the NIL money because of taxes reason? I would think the donation would be a tax write off for these corporations. We saw a glimpse of what Houston offered DJ.
Go ahead Nate Jackson what do you think Kelvin Sampson and U. of Houston offered DJ?
Schools don’t have anything to do with it. I suspect the kid is on the hook. Which is going to lead to some sob stories soon, I bet, the I didn’t know variety.

Schools don’t have anything to do with it. I suspect the kid is on the hook. Which is going to lead to some sob stories soon, I bet, the I didn’t know variety.
If debt to their TRAINERS can cause kids to look for money deals and/or declare for the draft before they're ready, anyone can be in a kid's ear now.

"I shouldn't have gotten involved with ..." will be heard in 10, 15, 20 years, if not sooner.

Haha. Very true. I was thinking recently about how many of these NIL recipients will be receiving letters from the IRS.

Haha. Very true. I was thinking recently about how many of these NIL recipients will be receiving letters from the IRS.
If I do not pay my taxes on my income, I can get fined or even end up in jail, they are no different and must be under the same tax laws.

At least we can agree it’s his fault and he sucks
Yea we can blame CKK and UNLV for both of those. No HC experience. Not known for anything. . No other Div 1 school would of touched him with a 10 foot poll for the HC position . ITs not like he is charismatic! Do u think anybody with NIL money to spare is going to go to invest on a unproven coach? To me its what they call a bad investment. Yea lets invest $ and get mediocre results . This is UNLV/Vegas. Get the right coach and most of that falls into place.

Yea we can blame CKK and UNLV for both of those. No HC experience. Not known for anything. . No other Div 1 school would have touched him with a 10 foot poll for the HC position . ITs not like he is charismatic! Do u think anybody with NIL money to spare is going to go to invest on a unproven coach? To me its what they call a bad investment. Yea lets invest $ and get mediocre results . This is UNLV/Vegas. Get the right coach and most of that falls into place.
It’s too bad folks can’t see this and make the necessary change.
As long as Kevin is here “getting more money” for NIL will be a challenge, he is the problem!

Wait, I thought Sampson and Houston don’t play the NIL game.

I just think it’s going to be stepping stones honestly. There are only so many roster spots on a team. P5 are starting to learn to hit the transfer portal hard instead of HS. I think you’ll see mid majors get decent caliber HS kids that only stay for 1-2 years and then transfer up. Of course the McD’s will get theirs, but 4star guys I think we will see more of those types hit good mid major programs first

Wait, I thought Sampson and Houston don’t play the NIL game.
It doesn't qualify as a donation, because these players are employees and not a recognized charity, but it is possible that since they are employees, the money provided can be written off as a salary expense.

There is only so much money to go around when it comes to funding the program.
Coaching salaries are heavily funded by boosters not just the school. Especially at a place like UNLV where the department doesn't have a lot to work with.
NIL is 100% on the boosters.
At a place like UNLV, we aren't going to get a 13 mil total Budget per year, We aren't going to get 5.
So the idea of ponying up for a big time coach AND spending big in the NIL is almost laughable.
Right now we have a coach that is making a relatively low salary and have reportedly the best NIL in conference.
Could a big name coach bring more interest? Sure. Will it be big enough to have boosters spend 3-4x what they are already do? I doubt it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT