ADVERTISEMENT

i know this looks bad

I have patience with Coach Sanchez and this program. I've had it for 30 years... why stop now.

But I'm losing patience with Coach Cotton, Baer, and LaRussa. I'd like to see no less than 2 of those 3 shown the door after this year. Coach Cotton called a great game against Hawaii and I started a thread giving him praise for it. But then he comes out and gets us a goose egg in the first half of this game? Sure the players have to play, but we went back to vanilla, predictable, not working offense in the first half and it absolutely killed us.

Coach Baer.... you've gotta find ways to get your defense off the field on third down. So many big (and long) 3rd down conversions for CSU allowed that game to get out of hand in the first quarter.

Coach LaRussa. Sorry man. I'm sure you're a great guy, but consistently starting on the 15 yard line with crappy KO return after crappy KO return is part of the problem with our offense. And don't get me started on punt returns. I'll check next week, but I'm certain we are continuing the downward slide to the bottom of all FBS. The third phase has been absolutely brutal this year.

I know this looks bad but I have faith in TS. if we don't get to a bowl we would be 5-7 a improvement from 3-9 last year. be patient
Sanchez is good and he's good for this program, I truly believe we have the right guy in place.

That said, this many disinterested "no shows" from a team headed by a guy that is ultra focused and intense is disconcerting. We know (or maybe it's an assumption) that Sanchez lays it out on the line. Why doesn't the team? Too many skipped beats going on. Is it the players? is it fans expecting too much? Is there some disconnect in the message? Is it something that takes awhile for players to grasp?

Though I fully believe in Sanchez, it's so weird that we many of us are concerned he'll be yanked up by a BCS school or some other school when he's winning .300 of his games at UNLV. A .300 winning percentage and we are worried. I get it, I believe the same. But it's still strange that we have so much belief even though there hasn't been empirical evidence.

Reactions: RebelinWA
This has to be a offensive and defensive thing. After the defense gives up a long drive the offense has to control the ball longer than a 3 and out. If not your killing your defense.
Good defensive teams seem to always get off the field on third down.
Btw..Tau is a stud.

Sanchez is the man for the job. His fundraising ability and the new facilities are going to give us the type of recruit we need to compete. Problem is he just doesn't have the able bodies, or manpower at his disposal yet. We are too young and we lack size, speed, strength and depth all over the field. Two recruiting classes just aren't going to fix the kind of problems that UNLV has. More like 5 recruiting classes.

I have patience with Coach Sanchez and this program. I've had it for 30 years... why stop now.

But I'm losing patience with Coach Cotton, Baer, and LaRussa. I'd like to see no less than 2 of those 3 shown the door after this year. Coach Cotton called a great game against Hawaii and I started a thread giving him praise for it. But then he comes out and gets us a goose egg in the first half of this game? Sure the players have to play, but we went back to vanilla, predictable, not working offense in the first half and it absolutely killed us.

Coach Baer.... you've gotta find ways to get your defense off the field on third down. So many big (and long) 3rd down conversions for CSU allowed that game to get out of hand in the first quarter.

Coach LaRussa. Sorry man. I'm sure you're a great guy, but consistently starting on the 15 yard line with crappy KO return after crappy KO return is part of the problem with our offense. And don't get me started on punt returns. I'll check next week, but I'm certain we are continuing the downward slide to the bottom of all FBS. The third phase has been absolutely brutal this year.
The defense is still basically Hauck's guys. They will improve as Sanchez' guys play more.

Cotton I don't have an issue with. We are top 25 in rushing, missing 3 WRs to season ending injury and essentially starting our #3 QB. Last week he called a great game. This week guys simply didn't execute. Twice we had 1st downs called back on penalties. Three dropped passes on sure first downs, a dropped pass on a screen leading to a CSU score and Sneed missed some open guys.

I agree 100% on Baer. The defense has been really slow to develop. I realize he is still working with a lot of the last staffs guys. However regardless of talent, once in awhile scheme and play calling has to impact a game.

Here's an anomaly, we are one of the better teams in the country in pass completion defense. Downside is the completions we are giving up are 30+ yards down field. I said it in another thread, where is the safety help over the top? Why are our CBs always on an island?

I also get frustrated when I call the other teams plays. 3rd & 2 I told my brother 'play action dump to fullback in the flat' Sure enough, wide open for 15 yards.

I give Cotton a lot more slack considering the injury situation.

I

What has been up with our returner rotation this year? I know Brandon Presley was hurt, but entering the season it was Presley, McTyer, and Stevenson as our primary return guys... and now it seems to be true freshmen Williams and Flowers, and it seems like they are struggling.

I think once Woods & Presley went down it shook things up a bit and forced guys into new roles. I also think they would like to avoid having Williams & Thomas avoid taking those shots on kick return if at all possible but the return game has been less than impressive this season in all phases.

The Defense is just not deep enough yet. We are forced to play our Safeties in the box which allows for lots of one-on-one coverage and McTyer and Mouton are left with no over the top coverage or help lots of the time. We do not get enough pressure with our front 4 to get QB's off rhythm. The Lack of Depth at Safey also is hurting us. Behind Seniors Hawthorne and Keys we have Dalton Baker and RS FR Evan Austrie (Who is back this week after sitting out a few weeks with a dislocated shoulder). Some of our Defensive calls might be predicated on not running those guys sideline to sideline and keeping them as fresh as possible.

We have also had some injuries on the D Line. Jason Fao is currently out along with Zepeda who hasnt played since JSU. Just not enough "playmakers" beyond Tau right now for us to have missed assignments. When the O struggles as bad as they did in the first half it really puts our Defensive issues on the forefront.

Baer needs to do a better job overall getting something to work to get more out of the hand he is currently dealt. Keeping the RS's on guys like Tatum, Iofeta, Halloway and Jones will be much more beneficial for the Defense moving forward. I also expect , due to our JR/SR classes being relatively small that we will see some JUCO's on the Defensive side of the ball in the next recruiting class. At minimum one at each level of the defense to go along with the younger developing talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT