ADVERTISEMENT

I doubt

UNLVWINS

Lottery Pick
May 14, 2005
I doubt we will not even have a football program in 5 or 10 years. We are not going Power 5. That means FCS. We don't do good against FCS teams. I don't think they would keep the program. We would get creamed in the Big Sky. The program loses so much money every year. The WCC would be a good option. It would help hoops and baseball. The people that run UNLV are total clueless morons...

Reactions: Catmstr
I doubt we will not even have a football program in 5 or 10 years. We are not going Power 5. That means FCS. We don't do good against FCS teams. I don't think they would keep the program. We would get creamed in the Big Sky. The program loses so much money every year. The WCC would be a good option. It would help hoops and baseball. The people that run UNLV are total clueless morons...

This gets brought up a lot (the WCC), it will never happen. WCC are ALL private faith based schools. Every last one of them. There was a reason that SDSU was all ready to join the Big West when they were going to join the Big East for football. The WCC wouldn't take them. If they wouldn't make an exception for SDSU, they sure won't do it for UNLV.

Also do you think UNLV will be the only school left out? No way. There will be a bunch of current FBS schools in the same situation. I would think they would re organize and create a new division. Hell probably the entire MWC. Still a huge step down, but it would not be the equivalent to the current FCS.

Dropping football would still hurt. It would have to get pretty bad for that to happen. And it still just might.

Also getting creamed in the Big Sky? Really?

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt and Don-F
This gets brought up a lot (the WCC), it will never happen. WCC are ALL provate faith based schools. Every last one of them. There was a reason that SDSU was all ready to join the Big West when they were going to join the Big East for football. The WCC wouldn't take them. If they wouldn't make an exception for SDSU, they sure won't do it for UNLV.

Also do you think UNLV will be the only school left out? No way. There will be a bunch of current FBS schools in the same situation. I would think they would re organize and create a new division. Hell probably the entire MWC. Still a huge step down, but it would not be the equivalent to the current FCS.

Dropping football would still hurt. It would have to get pretty bad for that to happen. And it still just might.

Also getting creamed in the Big Sky? Really?

Let's see. We have lost to FCS schools like Howard, SUU and NAU. Hey though. We barely beat Northern Colorado a few years ago...

The WCC would be a good option. It would help hoops and baseball.
IMO the WCC would laugh at us for implying we could join their conference. Literally the only option I'd say we have is WAC (maybe Big West).

I'm not at all an advocate for canceling football, for the record. I think it'd be a massive blunder.

Reactions: Don-F
IMO the WCC would laugh at us for implying we could join their conference. Literally the only option I'd say we have is WAC (maybe Big West).

I'm not at all an advocate for canceling football, for the record. I think it'd be a massive blunder.

The program costs UNLV a fortune every year. It is nice having a football program. But at what cost?

I agree with the proposition that we will not be able to join a power conference as we know them today.

I think the only hope we have is erosion in the money base - the dismantling of ESPN, CBS Sports, and other broadcast entities with internet providers killing the cash cows of cable, Dish and DirecTV. We have to hope that the changes in this dynamic causes seismic changes to how colleges are paid for the team and their content. And this change still doesn't guarantee anything for UNLV - we have a small alumni and fan base compared to the much larger power institutions.

I agree with the proposition that we will not be able to join a power conference as we know them today.

I think the only hope we have is erosion in the money base - the dismantling of ESPN, CBS Sports, and other broadcast entities with internet providers killing the cash cows of cable, Dish and DirecTV. We have to hope that the changes in this dynamic causes seismic changes to how colleges are paid for the team and their content. And this change still doesn't guarantee anything for UNLV - we have a small alumni and fan base compared to the much larger power institutions.

Vegas is an amazing city!! People love sports in town. There is no reason UNLV cannot be in the big time. My problem is with the way things have been run. At least we have an AD now with some vision where things need to be...

Come on. Talk about over reaction. I stayed away from the board because it was obvious everyone was going nuts over the loss.

I think it was horrible kick in the nuts but this isn't like the loss to Southern Utah or NAU. It was a bad loss, a very bad loss. However there has been obvious progress not seen in prior coaching tenures. Add in the stadium, Raiders and Football Complex, UNLV Football is going to be fine.

Good lord people, step away from the ledge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT