ADVERTISEMENT

#HeyReb QB Kenyon Oblad of Liberty

KO‏@kenyonoblad 47m47 minutes ago

After a crazy recruiting process, I’m PROUD to announce that I will be staying home and am 100% committed to UNLV
1f534.png
#hometownhero #heyreb

DQJ1L0-UQAEXZg2.jpg

DQJ1L1AUMAAt3wC.jpg

14 replies 108 retweets 289 likes

A 6'3 drop back passer. According to his Rivals page he had offers from BYU, SDSU, CSU, UNR, and Western Kentucky (https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/kenyon-oblad-2569)

And interestingly according to an RJ article (https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...ng-commitment-as-he-concludes-liberty-career/ ) a couple weeks ago:

He passed for 2,240 yards and 16 touchdowns as a freshman. He earned the attention of NCAA Division I programs after a sophomore season in which he passed for 3,106 yards and 34 TDs.

The numbers piled up, and so did the scholarship offers, but Oblad, who hasn’t announced a commitment, didn’t procure the offers from the Power Five programs he’d hoped for despite unprecedented success.

“That’s why he didn’t commit to some of the offers he had early,” (Liberty coach) Muraco said. “As that realization has kind of come that he’s not going to get those offers, he’s kind of focused in on what’s going to be best for him.”

I keep coming to this thread hoping for some insight or excitement but there’s not much more than crickets. I’m starting to wonder if FB getting Kenyon Oblad (NV leading passer) is similar to BB getting Dantley Walker (NV leading scorer).

I keep coming to this thread hoping for some insight or excitement but there’s not much more than crickets. I’m starting to wonder if FB getting Kenyon Oblad (NV leading passer) is similar to BB getting Dantley Walker (NV leading scorer).
It's not even close. Kenyon was at Liberty playing big boy high school football. Dantley was playing against kids who go bunny bashing for fun or shine a hunting light on the one streetlight sensor to see if they can get it to turn off at night. I know because we used to go to Panaca with a friend whose family lived there. To compare Dantley to Kenyon is hilarious.

The crickets are because fans of UNLV football are still not over what happened this season, and those who like to bash on UNLV won't comment on Sanchez actually doing something good.

And to be fair it has been like 18 hours. Usually this time of year this board goes days or weeks with nothing but OT :)

I'm always happy to have a local kid, and especially one with the talent we're getting with Oblad. I'm not upset about it at all, but we have a lot of QB option... wait nevermind. I forgot we lost one of the commits. So we have 2 in '18, right? Oblad and Conner? Along with freshly redshirted Marckell Greyson and of course QB1. Not bad! Interesting variety, too.

Based on the numbers, I always assumed this kid was a pocket passer who picks apart defenses... and that may be the case, but I've seen a couple things talking about mobility? Probably a good fit for our offense if that's the case, a pass-first guy with some kind of escapability. Excited!

And to be fair it has been like 18 hours. Usually this time of year this board goes days or weeks with nothing but OT :)

I'm always happy to have a local kid, and especially one with the talent we're getting with Oblad. I'm not upset about it at all, but we have a lot of QB option... wait nevermind. I forgot we lost one of the commits. So we have 2 in '18, right? Oblad and Conner? Along with freshly redshirted Marckell Greyson and of course QB1. Not bad! Interesting variety, too.

Based on the numbers, I always assumed this kid was a pocket passer who picks apart defenses... and that may be the case, but I've seen a couple things talking about mobility? Probably a good fit for our offense if that's the case, a pass-first guy with some kind of escapability. Excited!
He needs to put on some weight, but MOST kids going from HS to college are in that boat. He'll have time to do that this spring when he enrolls at UNLV in a month.

It's not even close. Kenyon was at Liberty playing big boy high school football. Dantley was playing against kids who go bunny bashing for fun or shine a hunting light on the one streetlight sensor to see if they can get it to turn off at night. I know because we used to go to Panaca with a friend whose family lived there. To compare Dantley to Kenyon is hilarious.

The crickets are because fans of UNLV football are still not over what happened this season, and those who like to bash on UNLV won't comment on Sanchez actually doing something good.

It was an inquiry rather than a comparison. I was excited to hear the commitment and thought I’d find some good insight here. Made me wonder, that’s all. Sanchez being able to stack the QB position with players sporting stars next to their names is awesome and then to get one that is a local to boot is very exciting ... surprised the sentiment wasn’t reflected here .... yet anyhow.

He needs to put on some weight, but MOST kids going from HS to college are in that boat. He'll have time to do that this spring when he enrolls at UNLV in a month.
Great get, Congrats, young man

It was an inquiry rather than a comparison. I was excited to hear the commitment and thought I’d find some good insight here. Made me wonder, that’s all. Sanchez being able to stack the QB position with players sporting stars next to their names is awesome and then to get one that is a local to boot is very exciting ... surprised the sentiment wasn’t reflected here .... yet anyhow.
Sorry if I came off rude. That was not my intent. It will do wonders for recruiting local kids. Grayson and Oblad are great signees. They are both beloved at their respective schools and more kids could follow them to UNLV. Liberty and Desert Pines are both good programs with some D1 players. Hope to see some of them follow.

Last edited:
Sorry, if I came off rude. That was not my intent. It will do wonders for recruiting local kids. Grayson and Oblad are get signees. They are both beloved at their respective schools and more kids could follow them to UNLV. Liberty and Desert Pines are both good programs with some D1 players. Hope to see some of them follow.

No worries. I got you to post some info and another as well. My post served its purpose.

Reactions: reagan21
No doubt. Also great to see an early enrollee. Time to bulk, but also time to familiar with the ins and outs of the program. Typically I take that to mean he's got a good head on his shoulders and probably a quality group of people around him. I'm on board.

My quick analysis of Kenyon.

He has great footwork. Very consistent on his drops and no extra steps. His drop back is always the same which shows he has an internal clock to know when to improvise, if at all. He slides laterally really well and doesn't show signs of panic when outside pressure comes. Most kids continue to backup when they feel pressure which is usually where the pressure is coming from. He steps up when he needs to and slides when he needs to. Very good instincts.

At this age, he's one of the best I've seen in Vegas to use his eyes to hold DBs or LBs. 95% of all HS QBs know where they are going with the ball before it is even snapped. They see one read and it's going there regardless of coverage. Kenyon sees the field REALLY well. If you go to his HUDL senior highlights, there is a throw at 2:53 that shows this the best. He audibles, looks left after the snap, the MLB slides over to his right just enough for the crossing pattern to be open, and he hits the WR in stride.

He has a strong arm. I usually look to out routes to determine strength. He can make those throws on a deep out to the field/wide side of the field. He uses air when he has to and drives the ball well when called upon. I do think he tends to under throw at times, but that timing is easier to conquer with his good foundation of footwork. Also, WRs in high school are not really known for great route running. Their post or flag angles are almost never the same. A QB will often time have to put some more air under a ball because he's not sure where the WR will end up. That will come with time and consistent workouts.

He's not all roses, but he is a very good HS QB. Like I said before, he does underthrow balls. He tends to take off sooner than I think the coaches would like, and he needs some weight training. I'll take those weaknesses any day over a weak arm or bad feet. I'm excited to see him play.

Last edited:
My quick analysis of Kenyon.

He has great footwork. Very consistent on his drops and no extra steps. His drop back is always the same which shows he has an internal clock to know when to improvise, if at all. He slides laterally really well and doesn't show signs of panic when outside pressure comes. Most kids continue to backup when they feel pressure which is usually where the pressure is coming from. He steps up when he needs to and slides when he needs to. Very good instincts.

At this age, he's one of the best I've seen in Vegas to use his eyes to hold DBs or LBs. 95% of all HS QBs know where they are going with the ball before it is even snapped. They see one read and it's going there regardless of coverage. Kenyon sees the field REALLY well. If you go to his HUDL senior highlights, there is a throw at 2:53 that shows this the best. He audibles, looks left after the snap, the MLB slides over to his right just enough for the crossing pattern to be open, and he hits the WR in stride.

He has a strong arm. I usually look to out routes to determine strength. He can make those throws on a deep out to the field/wide side of the field. He uses air when he has to and drives the ball well when called upon. I do think he tends to under throw at times, but that timing is easier to conquer with his good foundation of footwork. Also, WRs in high school are not really known for great route running. Their post or flag angles are almost never the same. A QB will often time have to put some more air under a ball because he's not sure where the WR will end up. That will come with time and consistent workouts.

He's not all roses, but he is a very good HS QB. Like I said before, he does underthrow balls. He tends to take off sooner than I think the coaches would like, and he needs some weight training. I'll take those weaknesses any day over a weak arm or bad feet. I'm excited to see him play.

That’s what’s up!! Thanks!!

Oblad is a really good addition to the recruiting class but I was a little lukewarm on the commitment because it was kind of obvious that he had held out as long as he could for an offer from Utah before "settling" on UNLV. Hopefully for Oblad and the Rebels it proves not to be settling but instead taking the opportunity to help elevate the program.

I think Utah stopped contacting him a while back. I heard that recently. I thought he was a Utah lock, but I guess I wasn’t paying attention

Which is why they stopped contacting Kenyon. I don't care if it's true Kenyon settled to stay at home. I've lived by the mantra, "it's better to do something for the wrong reason than to not do it at all," for 20 years. I'm just happy Oblad decided to stay here.

Will he go on a mission?
I’m not sure. My decision to go was much easier than his. I didn’t have a potential career staring me in the face. He comes from a good family (I hear Oblads are WONDERFUL people) and his decision, regardless if he goes, will be he right decision.

Most of us Mormons are married and have two kids by the age of 22 or 23. Can’t go on a mission with a wife and kids.

I believe he's going to be a mid-year guy so he'll go straight to UNLV so probably mission post-grad.

Well said. He's a heck of a prospect. I'm absolutely delighted about his commit.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I’ve seen this kid as the type that Boise typically gets. He’s got a solid arm and seems to be a leader on the field. I’ve holed he’d commit to us for two years now but never thought it would truly happen.
Indeed. I really think he is a steal for us.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT