ADVERTISEMENT

Grayson Questions

BostonRebel

Rebel Legend
Jun 7, 2001
Not being a local any longer, what are the thoughts on Grayson? Does he eventually project as a starter or is he more of a backup? Strengths/weaknesses? Thanks in advance!

I watched several of his games in person. He's quite athletic with good size and can create plays but his passing is somewhat average. It's not bad at all, but does need work. Personally, it wouldn't surprise me if he changes positions eventually depending on UNLV's QB situation going forward. But if he stays at QB he'll need to develop as a passer. That said, I saw him his junior season and likely his passing would have been improved his senior year had he not blown out his knee first game. So basically, he has potential from what I saw, and he is a dynamic play-maker, but he's definitely a question mark to see how he's recovered from the injury and how well his passing game develops. I love his attitude and excitement and leadership and think he'll be an asset whatever position he's in.

Does anyone know the last time UNLV signed a local QB? Was it Jon Denton from Green Valley back in the 90's?

Last edited:
Not to look to far ahead but after next season the only QB's on the roster will be Rogers/Grayson. His potential position "change" might not happen for a few years if at all. This will depend on who they recruit at the QB spot moving forward.

I would expect in '18 they would target a mid-year JUCO and a freshman to fill out the position group.

I thought Sanford or maybe Hauck signed O'Ryan Bradley out of Las Vegas but he ended up going JUCO?

I do worry about Grayson's knee injury, though. After Chuckie Keeton at USU blew his knee out he lost a step. The razzle-dazzle he had pre-injury was never the same. Similar with BYU's Taysom Hill. Both QBs "recovered" but never quite were the same threat that they were pre-injury.

Those of you on here who work directly with sports injuries perhaps can shed some light on this. What are the chances Grayson will be 100% electric after his injury?

I am no expert on recovery but in terms of Grayson, no need to rush him back. He was hurt early September and Sanchez stated he is already moving around well without a brace. He has 3 QB's in front of him so he has essentially another year to really make sure he is fully recovered.

Good leader that does a good job distributing the ball and shows good anticipation. Not electric in space but buys time with his feet with the run skills to be a consistent threat to pick up key yards. Needs to improve his overall accuracy and efficiency. Throws a good deep ball but loses velocity past 45 yards.
With two seniors on the roster, I would suspect he remains at quarterback for at least the first three years. He might be the primary backup after next season depending on Stanton getting a medical redshirt.

Reactions: BostonRebel
Will, what's the status with Morris at Desert Pines? He was originally committed to UNLV, has multiple offers but has yet to sign with a school...?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT