ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day: UNM@UNLV

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
The Lobos come to town looking for revenge for our surprise victory at their house a few weeks ago. The Lobos will be down two starters as Duane Kuiper and Tim Williams are both out with injuries. The loss of Williams is especially critical, as he has been their best player.

After we beat them at The Pit they went on a four-game winning streak, that was halted by UNR on Saturday. The Rebels need to shake-off their two-game road trip that resulted in two losses that came down to the wire, although the games were very different.

The Wyoming game we should have won, after a furious comeback from 20-points down. But for a case of JoJo’s hero-complex, we could have gotten out of Laramie with a “W”. The San Jose St game was a case of UNLV being unable to put the ball in the basket for the entire second half. The Spartans were clearly out-matched yet we managed to hand them the game.

Hopefully the friendly confines of the T&M will help our guys sweep UNM. Let’s put some bodies in the seats to show our support for The Rebels.

slam-dunk-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Kind of a small thing, but I don't like calling Jovan's 3 a hero complex shot, even though that wasn't the drawn up play. We want guys to take the last shot, and he's the best one to do it. That's not to say ignore the coach, but to acknowledge things develop on the floor that weren't discussed in the huddle.

To say that's why we lost is to say that the other play was a sure thing and ignores the hundreds of other things that happened earlier in the game.

In any event, tonight is one we want to win, and it should be exciting. Never sure if it's a blessing or a curse when the other team's best guy goes down.

Reactions: TarkisGod
Taking a 30 foot jumper alone in practice is tough to hit. Doing it in the last seconds of a game when it is highly contested lowers the percentage even more. There's a much higher percent of driving and getting fouled or best case scenario getting a quick dish to Jones or Dembele for a quick 2. Higher percentage means a better chance of winning the game. I think it was absolutely hero ball riding on false confidences of a 1/1,000,000 shot that he made the game before.

Reactions: TarkisGod
Kind of a small thing, but I don't like calling Jovan's 3 a hero complex shot, even though that wasn't the drawn up play

Don’t misunderstand. I love Mooring. Our team would be in a much-worse place than it is, were it not for JoJo. We’d have never been in a position to win that game without his contributions. I don't claim to be a mind-reader, but I'm 100% comfortable with the assessment that JoJo knew he was going to launch that shot, as soon as he had his hands on the ball. I'm also sure he believed he would make it. Therefore, he thought that he was the best option.

As I said, I’m very happy that JoJo has developed into a pretty good point guard, especially in view of the fact that he never played that position before. I just think, in “winning time” as Coach Menzies calls it, he needs to remember that there are four other guys on the floor. My opinion that we would have won is based on Wyoming’s inability to stop CJ or Dembele down-low. Of course, if they foul Cheickna, that could be an adventure. But I’d trust him enough to make one and send it into OT.

I can see where my "hero-ball" comment could be construed as mean-spirited, but that was not my intent. I promise...

images

Go Rebels!

Reactions: Rod_the_Rebel
Taking a 30 foot jumper alone in practice is tough to hit. Doing it in the last seconds of a game when it is highly contested lowers the percentage even more. There's a much higher percent of driving and getting fouled or best case scenario getting a quick dish to Jones or Dembele for a quick 2. Higher percentage means a better chance of winning the game. I think it was absolutely hero ball riding on false confidences of a 1/1,000,000 shot that he made the game before.
It was a little bit. But the game before, the game winner - he had zero choice. Nobody moved. I've never seen a full 30 second set to win a game where nobody moves. I mean, you do see it with isolation and the player hits the shot as he did. But you don't just see them heave it without a move from 35 feet away like it was the called play. He had to do it because not a soul ran the play. What was he supposed to do. He was calling for the sceeens late, they didn't come, he just launched it from there. It was crazy. Great, exciting shot. Terrible basketball, fluke basketball, but it was great fun.

Hell, it's the stuff Jimmer used to do. That's who he reminds me of a tiny bit. He doesn't have the same capability from that zip code, but few do. That Mooring has some capability from THAT deep is special. Who here didn't know that shot from the "U" wasn't going to swish? I did. It wasn't like Terry's heave from the Shark fin vs Arizona with 9 seconds on the shot clock.

It WAS fun to watch....No denying that.

Hopefully we don't have to be in those situations much longer as I have confidence we will be able to close out games. I'm expecting a lot more dunks tonight vs feathery lay in's, and hoping for overall finishing at the rim. Go Rebs

It WAS fun to watch....No denying that.

Hopefully we don't have to be in those situations much longer as I have confidence we will be able to close out games. I'm expecting a lot more dunks tonight vs feathery lay in's, and hoping for overall finishing at the rim. Go Rebs
Don't know about a lot more dunks. I think we have 5 or 6 on the season total. Looking forward to Dembele throwing his first down instead of a layin.

I thought I was awesome that Menzies told em to dunk more - last year was a highlight real basically every game regardless if we won or not. Jones Jr, Nwamu, Morgan etc were all beast mode under the rim and I've been missing that spark this year from the team.

I thought I was awesome that Menzies told em to dunk more - last year was a highlight real basically every game regardless if we won or not. Jones Jr, Nwamu, Morgan etc were all beast mode under the rim and I've been missing that spark this year from the team.
They should try to dunk ALOT more. We tried one last game and it ended up a technical foul and FTS for the other team.

But usually, you make it or you are fouled. We've excelled at the line this year. You take 'em.

So far, no one seems to have much to say about last night’s game. I guess I don’t either. It was another game that got away from us in the closing moments. It could have easily become a win. But our team doesn’t have enough maturity to close these games.

Not that there weren’t some positives. Welcome back, TG ! Tyrell had a terrific game. Not only his scoring, but his defense and overall effort. After several weeks of obscurity, it was great to see him break-out. On the other hand, Jaylen continues to struggle. I just don’t believe that he’s got no chance to regain the talented form that he displayed in his minutes last season, and early on this year. It’s got to be a mental issue, and I hope that he overcomes whatever demons are dragging him down. Not only for his contributions to the team, but in his life. He always seemed like a good kid, to me.

I thought Jovan had a pretty good game. He cut-down on the wild shots, and sought to set-up his teammates. Dembele was kind of quiet, although he did get to throw one down with authority in the first half. CJ had some good moments, but I thought he turned it over a bit too much. Zion Morgan added good energy. Ofoegbu was invisible. I don’t know why Coach chose to sit Klyburn for almost all of the game. And I still wonder why he doesn’t use Baxter at all. My best guess would be that something in practice is behind these decisions.

Anyway, that’s my poorly-informed take on the game. Anyone else care to agree, disagree or add a different perspective? Next up: Colorado State Rams, Saturday 3:00pm @ the T&M.

basketball-accident-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
Reactions: Danny The Donger
The paper said Baxter never returned from the locker room after halftime, and is bothered by a foot injury.

Don't know what happened with Clyburn. It seems he was a primary scorer early on.

Poyser looks like he doesn't even want to be on the court. I think he has completely psyched himself out, and you have to wonder if he is thinking of transferring. Green was in a similar slump but never gave up while Poyser looks completely lost. Hope he overcomes but I'm wondering if he will be here next season.

The paper said Baxter never returned from the locker room after halftime, and is bothered by a foot injury.

Don't know what happened with Clyburn. It seems he was a primary scorer early on.

Pretty odd to not return to the bench, when it wasn't an in-game injury. Sounds like trouble. Clyburn was MM's very first recruit when he belatedly got the job last April. He seemed very proud to have gotten him. It's quite surprising to see him now as a seldom-used bench player.

I would guess that Coach is rewarding players who work the hardest in practice, and these guys aren't on that list. I have no inside info, I'm just speculating. Maybe these are injury-related issues. Either way, in addition to JP, I agree with Rod, there may be several available scholarships next season. I doubt that these kids had this in mind when they chose to come to UNLV.

scratching-head-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

One more wk 'til Spring Training!
baseball-hit-smiley-emoticon.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT