ADVERTISEMENT

Future Coach

UNLV Rebel1

NBA Draft Pick
Nov 26, 2018
Considering Sanchez probably won’t win 6 games this year who would guys like to see as the next coach? I think this years team will win between 3 to 5 games. The 5 win total would be the very best case scenario with this schedule. The worst case scenario would be 3 wins. I hope we can get another chance to get someone like Mora in December. Or a good established coach like him. I’m kind bummed we didn’t get rid of Sanchez last year. But financially it makes more sense to give him one last year. His teams have give up and average of 30 points a game the last 4 years. Loses to Howard and getting blown out by a winless SJSU team last year are totally inexcusable. It would be good to move into the new stadium with a new head coach.

Considering Sanchez probably won’t win 6 games this year who would guys like to see as the next coach? I think this years team will win between 3 to 5 games. The 5 win total would be the very best case scenario with this schedule. The worst case scenario would be 3 wins. I hope we can get another chance to get someone like Mora in December. Or a good established coach like him. I’m kind bummed we didn’t get rid of Sanchez last year. But financially it makes more sense to give him one last year. His teams have give up and average of 30 points a game the last 4 years. Loses to Howard and getting blown out by a winless SJSU team last year are totally inexcusable. It would be good to move into the new stadium with a new head coach.
Why Mora specifically? Granted, he’d be an upgrade ... but is there a high level of certainty he would win here? Aren’t there others in a similar boat (if UNLV has that kind of cash anyway).

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Mora had one winning season in the NFL and then started well at UCLA, recruited very well, but then the wheels fell off the last couple of seasons. I dont think he is a very good coach.

I also would like to see a guy that has been around, over either a HS coach or a coordinator from another program just for the simple fact that JRob is the only guy that has been able to move the needle even a little at UNLV in the last 30 years, so I wouldnt mind trying that out again.

Reactions: UNLV Rebel1
I agree. Just hire someone with good head coaching experience: Someone that could recruit. Mora would be an upgrade from what we currently have. I know Desiree wanted to hire his after that terrible SJSU game. The facility and stadium will definitely help recruiting.

Mora had one winning season in the NFL and then started well at UCLA, recruited very well, but then the wheels fell off the last couple of seasons. I dont think he is a very good coach.

I also would like to see a guy that has been around, over either a HS coach or a coordinator from another program just for the simple fact that JRob is the only guy that has been able to move the needle even a little at UNLV in the last 30 years, so I wouldnt mind trying that out again.

Barring influx of money though, football may be in the same boat as basketball.

Might have to look for an up and coming coordinator.

They could go with a retread like June Jones I guess.

There was money for Mora, but I'm not sure he would be the right guy either. Upgrade over Sanchez. Probably has enough name recognition to get a few more people out to games. Had some success at Atlanta and UCLA, but he seems to wear out his welcome every where he has been.

I don't know if the money for Mora is still in play or not.

The facility and stadium are great. I'm just wondering if it all isn't about 10 years to late...

Reactions: RebelinWA

Six wins will be tough...

I hate that four game stretch in the middle of the season...

Vandy, Boise, Fresno and SDSU.

I still want to believe that 6 wins is possible this year. Assuming five or less though a coaching change is certain.

I really hope that the next coach has some FBS head coaching experience. It seems UNLV has usually gone the cheaper route and tried to find an up-and-comer. JRob and Tony Knap were the only UNLV coaches with any sort of a decent D-1 head coaching resume before they came here. Guess what- they're also arguably the 2 best coaches we've had. I'd rather not gamble on another coordinator (Nunnley, Strong, Sanford) or a guy who was a successful HC at a lower level (Hauck, Sanchez).

I'd probably prefer a retread next time around. Hell look in our own division. The last 4 west winners have been coached by Tedford and Long. I'd hope with the new stadium we could afford to pay at least $1 million for a decent coach.

I still want to believe that 6 wins is possible this year. Assuming five or less though a coaching change is certain.

I really hope that the next coach has some FBS head coaching experience. It seems UNLV has usually gone the cheaper route and tried to find an up-and-comer. JRob and Tony Knap were the only UNLV coaches with any sort of a decent D-1 head coaching resume before they came here. Guess what- they're also arguably the 2 best coaches we've had. I'd rather not gamble on another coordinator (Nunnley, Strong, Sanford) or a guy who was a successful HC at a lower level (Hauck, Sanchez).

I'd probably prefer a retread next time around. Hell look in our own division. The last 4 west winners have been coached by Tedford and Long. I'd hope with the new stadium we could afford to pay at least $1 million for a decent coach.
If Sanchez fails, I think a retread would be fine too. We are on 15 years of of first time heads.

The thing about Jrob, yeah, we were not great, but he changed the culture pretty nicely. And the fans started to bubble a bit. It was different. I don’t know how much better or worse things would have become with him staying but he did change the course of the program culturally.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
If Sanchez fails, I think a retread would be fine too. We are on 15 years of of first time heads.

The thing about Jrob, yeah, we were not great, but he changed the culture pretty nicely. And the fans started to bubble a bit. It was different. I don’t know how much better or worse things would have become with him staying but he did change the course of the program culturally.
No doubt about it. Granted the fans knew that this was going to be his retirement job but at least it legitimatized us in the eyes of college football fans. Then when he had us ranked #25 preseason people recognized that and the excitement grew even more.

I know it was short-lived but at least it was lived. Why not shoot for that again next time? (Whenever that is. I'm hoping Sanchez succeeds next year and remains on for 20+ because I don't want a failed season just to get rid of a coach).

No doubt about it. Granted the fans knew that this was going to be his retirement job but at least it legitimatized us in the eyes of college football fans. Then when he had us ranked #25 preseason people recognized that and the excitement grew even more.

I know it was short-lived but at least it was lived. Why not shoot for that again next time? (Whenever that is. I'm hoping Sanchez succeeds next year and remains on for 20+ because I don't want a failed season just to get rid of a coach).

If Jason Thomas doesn't hurt his shoulder, its probably back to back bowl seasons.

A little momentum..Who knows what happens.

Because of his stature in the college game, because of where UNLV was... I think it was easy for him to turnover the culture, but only because he was an old pro. It took some doing to flip it, but it was palatable. And I still remember the bowl season, we rattled off the end of the season with some exciting wins, students got to smash the cannon as UNLV started a short dominant streak over UNR... it was good, it was fun, going to games was fun, watching on TV was fun. I remember having a bunch (50 or so) Rebel Netters in my living room for an at Colorado State game, tiny house, small living room, we all crammed in there, I remember making about 30 lbs of italian beef and AJ jus, roasted peppers and some other stuff. We had a lot of fun. Some former Rebels even showed up. We blew the game, I think we missed a late PAT. And I struck a really good deal with PT’s near my home, that became our regular road game venue. Dude charged us $10, we got an arm band, 3 free drinks, drink specials when the Rebels scored, and a buffet of (his) selected foods. Hell of a deal, lots of good friends, certainly a camaraderie between us all. It was a blast. Doing that sort of stuff is what makes it worthwhile.

It’s why watching so many diehard fans (and friends) abandon ship these past three years has been tough. All that type of stuff was shattered.

I honestly wasn’t all that crazy about Jrob on a macro-level (too conservative for me) but he was more than good enough given UNLV’s place in the landscape.

This team will win 5 games at very best. They will win 3 games at very worse. They just have to some how improve the defense. Sanchez has not had a good defensive team at UNLV! It will be fun heading into the new stadium with a real head coach!

He hasn’t done anything the last 4 years! We have had 4 losing seasons and a defense that gives up 30 points a game. Highlighted with a very embarrassing loss to Howard. I know Desiree will be ready to make a change in December. There is nothing wrong with talking about getting a real good head coach with real good experience!

I would assume Desiree's philosophy for hiring a football coach mirrors her philosophy in hiring Otzelberger, namely a young and rising head coach at a lesser school. So it might be fun to throw out the names of "big" name coaches, based on the Otzelberger data point, it ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
I would assume Desiree's philosophy for hiring a football coach mirrors her philosophy in hiring Otzelberger, namely a young and rising head coach at a lesser school. So it might be fun to throw out the names of "big" name coaches, based on the Otzelberger data point, it ain't gonna happen.
That’s rich.

You are wrong here professor. She wanted to hire Jim Mora last year. The UNLV President didn’t let her. Whoever the next is will be a major improvement. It might be hard for a Maxson guy to understand this.

He hasn’t done anything the last 4 years! We have had 4 losing seasons and a defense that gives up 30 points a game. Highlighted with a very embarrassing loss to Howard. I know Desiree will be ready to make a change in December. There is nothing wrong with talking about getting a real good head coach with real good experience!

He showed steady if unspectacular improvement years 1-3.

Last year was a huge regression.

Yeah 4 losing years. The history of the entire program is losing, hard to change history and build talent in just a couple years. There have been 4 non losing records in the last 30 years

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Interesting to see what will happen should Sanchez. DRF did the Otz deal without outside help. She won't be able to do the same for football, at least not for a proven coach of any time.

She got outside money to help for Mora. Will she for a new coach?

Interesting to see what will happen should Sanchez. DRF did the Otz deal without outside help. She won't be able to do the same for football, at least not for a proven coach of any time.

She got outside money to help for Mora. Will she for a new coach?

Not sure on the status of the Mora money if that would still be in play.

I hope a donor will step up when Tony is let go in December!! We need a coach with a big name that has head coaching experience! This will help moving into the new stadium.

Yeah 4 losing years. The history of the entire program is losing, hard to change history and build talent in just a couple years. There have been 4 non losing records in the last 30 years

Bobby had a winning season and even took UNLV to a bowl game. Something Tony will be unable to do.

He showed steady if unspectacular improvement years 1-3.

Last year was a huge regression.

This year is going to be a total disaster. The defense will be terrible again. We have no good wide outs. Armani will be running around trying to do to much. The program will be much better off after Tony is let go...

Using booster money to hire a coach is very tricky. Suppose booster money is used to hire coach X to a five year, 2 million a year contract. The booster needs to put 10 million up front, that is in the athletic department's budget, so the the university does not got stuck with the contract down the road if coach X disappoints.

Having a booster say here's 2 million hire coach X with the expectation that the booster will come up with 2 million for each of the next 4 years is problematical at best. Negotiating with booster money is also tricky. For Desiree to negotiate, the money has to be firmly in unlv's hands before things get serious. On the other hand, the booster may not want to hand over the money before coach X is hired. What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Maybe someone out there is willing to front the money for a big name coach, but I have my doubts.

Sanchez has proven he is a good high school coach. But he should be considering he could recruit over at Gorman. Even bring kids in from out of state. He is just to inexperienced to be a division 1 football coach. The defense has been horrid under him. He lost to Howard. He got blown out by a winless SJSU team last season. Things will be on the upward swing again in 2020.

Using booster money to hire a coach is very tricky. Suppose booster money is used to hire coach X to a five year, 2 million a year contract. The booster needs to put 10 million up front, that is in the athletic department's budget, so the the university does not got stuck with the contract down the road if coach X disappoints.

Having a booster say here's 2 million hire coach X with the expectation that the booster will come up with 2 million for each of the next 4 years is problematical at best. Negotiating with booster money is also tricky. For Desiree to negotiate, the money has to be firmly in unlv's hands before things get serious. On the other hand, the booster may not want to hand over the money before coach X is hired. What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Maybe someone out there is willing to front the money for a big name coach, but I have my doubts.

The Fertittas are the reason we even hired a high school coach to begin with. Coach O and Leach were interested in the job. Hopefully a big booster like Elaine Wynn will step up and we can get a good new coach!!

Can’t do it with strings attached, IMHO. Booster money is welcome, booster meddling isn’t.

The Mora deal was good because it was coming from a UCLA booster. I doubt that they would do much "meddling". A very unique case that's for sure.

So you want to see another losing season?

I would like to see them have a winning season. I just don’t see it happening with this difficult schedule. Hopefully they will over achieve. After the 2013 Heart of Dallas Bowl team. Anything is possible.

So you want to see another losing season?
I don't want to see a losing season. Quite the contrary. We need momentum going into the inaugural year of the stadium and a winning season would help. I like Sanchez, I just have doubts. Especially looking at this year schedule.
A winning season this year would make this program even more legit

The Fertittas are the reason we even hired a high school coach to begin with. Coach O and Leach were interested in the job. Hopefully a big booster like Elaine Wynn will step up and we can get a good new coach!!

No they weren't interested in the job for what we were paying.

There isn't a person on this board more than you that writes so much and it means so little.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT