ADVERTISEMENT

Future Coach

Prior to coach Sanchez, the team won 2 games 8 out of 10 prior seasons. Seems like an upgrade to me, and I will wait to see what happens this next season. If the program doesn't show improvement this next season, then I can understand the call for his replacement, but until the season is actually played, I will wait to make my decision. P.S. While all of the past coaches complained about the facilities and cried like little babies, he went out and raised the funds to fix the problems. As a side note the program had the highest APR 983 ever which means that 98.3% of the players met their education goals based on the NCAA standards.

Prior to coach Sanchez, the team won 2 games 8 out of 10 prior seasons. Seems like an upgrade to me, and I will wait to see what happens this next season. If the program doesn't show improvement this next season, then I can understand the call for his replacement, but until the season is actually played, I will wait to make my decision. P.S. While all of the past coaches complained about the facilities and cried like little babies, he went out and raised the funds to fix the problems. As a side note the program had the highest APR 983 ever which means that 98.3% of the players met their education goals based on the NCAA standards.
Just different colors of turd though.

I’m certainly not against Sanchez and he did secure the money. But it’s a reach to make it sound like he pounded the pavement. The money that he secured also bought him the job in the first place. Let’s face it, nobody hires a coach without D1 experience. For UNLV to push across hiring a coach from HS took some back-end money.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Having a high school coach after 4 losing seasons has everyone laughing.

His staff has a number of veteran D1 coaches.

I am not a Sanchez guy, but without him, the facility doesn't get done.

Two prominent HS coaches who made the leap to D1 Faust and Dodge both said similar things.

It wasn't the Xs and Os that were the problem, it was dealing with the administrative and other parts of the job.

Sanchez has been good by all accounts in that area.

He's struggled on the field. I'm also not as enamored with his overall recruiting as some here...

I’m very cautiously (somewhat) optimistic about his recruiting. I know that it’s tough to out-recruit certain program$ due to certain rea$on$ I won’t di$cuss here, I’m just not believing that we can’t be better than we are with on-the-field talent. Yes, our O-line is upgraded, which is important, but not much else is.

I’m very cautiously (somewhat) optimistic about his recruiting. I know that it’s tough to out-recruit certain program$ due to certain rea$on$ I won’t di$cuss here, I’m just not believing that we can’t be better than we are with on-the-field talent. Yes, our O-line is upgraded, which is important, but not much else is.

Money can be an issue obviously.

But you would think with the shiney new stadium and facility right around the corner he could pull off better than 6-7th in the conference.

There are money constraints, but I seem to remember some Tweets of coaches on a plane back in years one and two. It most definitely wasn't them flying coach on Allegiant.

The prevailing sentiment is that he has done well in the administrative and off field aspects of the job. I don't think anybody would argue that.

In fact it's been pointed out numerous times.

APR stuff is good.

No arguments there at all.

But..

After 4 years Hauck had 13 wins.
Sanchez had 16.

I'm not getting excited about three extra wins over a four year period. Especially coming off a season where the win total went down and he lost to San Jose State who is widely considered the worst program in college football right now.

It's better. But not much.

Reactions: RebelinWA
It will be interesting to see what kind of coaches will be available in December. This team is not going to be able to win 6 games with this schedule. They have to beat Ark st. After that it is all down hill.

I do hope Tony and UNLV football can win 6 games. I was around 4 2 win UNLV football teams. Losing seasons are never fun. I hope they get after it!

If they can't win 6 games with this schedule then coach Sanchez should be gone, but I do believe the y can win 6 games.

This schedule is more difficult than last season.

Not winning 6 games vs last years schedule far more damning than this year...

I’m certainly not against Sanchez and he did secure the money. But it’s a reach to make it sound like he pounded the pavement. The money that he secured also bought him the job in the first place. Let’s face it, nobody hires a coach without D1 experience. For UNLV to push across hiring a coach from HS took some back-end money.

He coached an extremely wealthy guys kid.

He has however been active in the community meeting with different groups trying to get more booster money.

Problem is, how basketball is now in terms of apathy in the city, football is still worse.

Imagine it's a new football coach winding the goal horn at the Knights game instead of Otz. Nobody would five a crap unless it was a name they recognized. Otz while not a household name, is still the new UNLV basketball coach. Position still holds some value in this town.

As far down as basketball is, it's still hasn't reached the depths of football.

It's been done before. Hell Notre Dame did it.

The money he was attached to, was to appealing for UNLV to pass up.

He wasn't hired because he and his guys beat up on the Spring Valley Highs of the world 78-0.

It was money...

He may not get them to a bowl in his tenure but for UNLV it was probably the right move. If they are ever going to the P5 they needed a new facility and a new stadium.

Hiring Sanchez ensured the facility getting done.

Long term it was the right play.

If he falters this year, the next guy walks into a much better situation.

It's been done before. Hell Notre Dame did it.

The money he was attached to, was to appealing for UNLV to pass up.

He wasn't hired because he and his guys beat up on the Spring Valley Highs of the world 78-0.

It was money...

He may not get them to a bowl in his tenure but for UNLV it was probably the right move. If they are ever going to the P5 they needed a new facility and a new stadium.

Hiring Sanchez ensured the facility getting done.

Long term it was the right play.

If he falters this year, the next guy walks into a much better situation.
I’ve said it before and still believe it. UNLV made the right choice hiring Sanchez. They had to do it. We didn’t “sacrifice” wins, or pride, excellence or a strong fan following. That wasn’t going to be diminished because they are low level to start with. So the risk was very low and the reward was high. Not on the scoreboard but everywhere else.

So no, I’m not against his hiring nor am I against him as coach. I have a pretty severe lack of faith that he will get it done - I’ve seen way too much wild inconsistency, very weak defenses and special teams play, and the general sloppiness/lack of discipline that have plagued this program every year. It’s not ALL bad but when minimal progress has been made in some key areas such as these.... my guess is it never happens to the degree it needs to happen to be a regular winner.

I’ve said it before and still believe it. UNLV made the right choice hiring Sanchez. They had to do it. We didn’t “sacrifice” wins, or pride, excellence or a strong fan following. That wasn’t going to be diminished because they are low level to start with. So the risk was very low and the reward was high. Not on the scoreboard but everywhere else.

So no, I’m not against his hiring nor am I against him as coach. I have a pretty severe lack of faith that he will get it done - I’ve seen way too much wild inconsistency, very weak defenses and special teams play, and the general sloppiness/lack of discipline that have plagued this program every year. It’s not ALL bad but when minimal progress has been made in some key areas such as these.... my guess is it never happens to the degree it needs to happen to be a regular winner.

Pretty much where I am at.

His two wins against Reno are nice. But there are just to many bad losses on the resume to instill much confidence.

He's had so many games where a win here or there might salvage the season and they go out and lay an egg.

Beat San Jose or New Mexico last year, maybe the Reno game is for a bowl bid. Laid absolute eggs in both games.

I know Armani was injured but I'm not buying that as the reason the season went south.

This wasn't years past where a QB went down and you had to turn to Shane Steichen or Palandech. Gilliam was a highly rated 4* recruit coming out of HS. Went to Cal...

He showed in the SDSU game he was plenty capable.

Reactions: RebelinWA
N
Pretty much where I am at.

His two wins against Reno are nice. But there are just to many bad losses on the resume to instill much confidence.

He's had so many games where a win here or there might salvage the season and they go out and lay an egg.

Beat San Jose or New Mexico last year, maybe the Reno game is for a bowl bid. Laid absolute eggs in both games.

I know Armani was injured but I'm not buying that as the reason the season went south.

This wasn't years past where a QB went down and you had to turn to Shane Steichen or Palandech. Gilliam was a highly rated 4* recruit coming out of HS. Went to Cal...

He showed in the SDSU game he was plenty capable.
Not that I want to see it happen, we all hope Armani clicks.... but wondering how long he will ride that horse if it's ineffective.

I think you still have to consider Strength of Schedule along with win losses. Sanchez has has the lowest strength of schedule of all recent coaches.

SOS average:
Sanchez. -4.20
Hauck -2.46
Sanford -1.34
Robinson. -1.39

Facing a gauntlet schedule for the first time, this season will be a challenge in Rogers doesn't turn into a real passer.

I think you still have to consider Strength of Schedule along with win losses. Sanchez has has the lowest strength of schedule of all recent coaches.

SOS average:
Sanchez. -4.20
Hauck -2.46
Sanford -1.34
Robinson. -1.39

Facing a gauntlet schedule for the first time, this season will be a challenge in Rogers doesn't turn into a real passer.
You’d be completely remiss not to include strength of schedule. Some guys are all about the win total, quality be damned.

I guess we can compare strength of schedule, like the year Hauck went to a bowl game when they didn't when a single game against a program with a winning record.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I guess we can compare strength of schedule, like the year Hauck went to a bowl game when they didn't when a single game against a program with a winning record.
Yep. I really do think that stuff should be taken into consideration. Of course, general fans don’t know and don’t care... but for fans that gobble this up, yeah, they should be paying attention to SOS.

They have been lucky to avoid Boise St, Wyoming and CSU the last two years. It won’t be any easier having to play these 3 teams.

Sure. That's fair.

But he still scraped together enough wins to make a bowl.

Sanchez only needed to beat a horrendous San Jose State team and a bad New Mexico team to make a bowl and they got blown out in both games. One at home no less..

The results for both of them are inadequate.

There is no doubt that if UNLV plays anything like they did during the middle of last season, then Sanchez will be gone. If they play like they did against SDSU and unr, I expect they will easily have a winning record. The big question is what team will show up next year, the one that saves Sanchez's job, or the one that will be his last season as coach?

A lot will depend on what kind of depth that have in certain positions. The schedule gets very difficult after Arkansas st. They will have to start off 2-0.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Just to note, the Strength of Schedule that season was rated tougher than any of the last three seasons at -3.52.

2016 -3.80
2017 -5.42
2018 -4.48

The good thing is that Sanchez has shown the ability to get a few wins but not quite good enough to earn a bowl bid.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/nevada-las-vegas/index.html

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
There is no doubt that if UNLV plays anything like they did during the middle of last season, then Sanchez will be gone. If they play like they did against SDSU and unr, I expect they will easily have a winning record. The big question is what team will show up next year, the one that saves Sanchez's job, or the one that will be his last season as coach?

Exactly...

I think if CTS could have scraped together an average defense the last 4 years we would have made 2-3 bowl games. And if Armani could hit the broadside of a barn, these teams would have 8 win seasons.

If, if, if...

I think if CTS could have scraped together an average defense the last 4 years we would have made 2-3 bowl games. And if Armani could hit the broadside of a barn, these teams would have 8 win seasons.

If, if, if...

Hell it didn't have to even be average. Be #80 in the country not #116 and you probably bowl the last 2 years..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT