ADVERTISEMENT

Future Coach

Excuse me for wanting a better head coach! I think we can do better than a high school coach that has allowed over 30 points on defense the last 4 years! Including loses to Howard and a blowout loss to a winless SJSU team last year! Luckily we have an AD that finally gets it now! This will improve over the future!

No they weren't interested in the job for what we were paying.

There isn't a person on this board more than you that writes so much and it means so little.

I’m one of the top posters on Rebel Net! I don’t know what you are talking about.

Stop rooting for failure. These statements are an embarrassment.

I just want what is best for the program! The dumb president should’ve allowed Desiree to hire Mora last year! Only at UNLV we would stick with a high school coach after 4 losing seasons giving up 30 points a game! Totally embarrassing!

You are delusional. You are an annoying pest that offers nothing of value.

I’m delusional ok! You must have missed the Howard game a few years ago. We were favored by 40 points and flat out lost the game. I guess that is acceptable! Or the SJSU game last year. A winless team hung 50 on us and blew us out! That is really acceptable! Smh

On this thread I may be in the minority, but I believe Sanchez will have a winning record, and will go to a bowl game this coming season.

Don’t hold your breath. The defense will be terrible again. We have no wideouts left. Someone will have to step in and replace Lex. This will be the toughest schedule Tony will Face at UNLV. They will win 4 to 5 games at very best. It makes sense to have a new coach heading into the new stadium. Tony has already had 4 losing seasons. The AD has already had it with this BS!

Something none of us knows is how the ball will bounce for us this year. Maybe we'll get all the breaks like Idaho did a few years ago when they beat us and went on to win a bowl over CSU. Or maybe we'll get none of the breaks, win only 3 or 4 games, and we'll be looking for a new coach. One thing I know for sure, though, is I'll never root for the Rebels to fail just because I don't like the coach. My fandom transcends whoever is sitting in the HC chair. I'd rather win with whoever is currently in it then do a reset and step backwards again.

Considering Sanchez probably won’t win 6 games this year who would guys like to see as the next coach? I think this years team will win between 3 to 5 games. The 5 win total would be the very best case scenario with this schedule. The worst case scenario would be 3 wins. I hope we can get another chance to get someone like Mora in December. Or a good established coach like him. I’m kind bummed we didn’t get rid of Sanchez last year. But financially it makes more sense to give him one last year. His teams have give up and average of 30 points a game the last 4 years. Loses to Howard and getting blown out by a winless SJSU team last year are totally inexcusable. It would be good to move into the new stadium with a new head coach.
I can't believe that anybody could possibly want a new coach. CTS has done more for this football program than anybody in the last 30 years not to mention all of the facilities, community outreach and promotion of Las Vegas itself. He 's not ashamed of or does he shy away from Vegas. He has won more games per year than any coach in the last 30 years. UNLV should stick with him regardless of what happens this year.

Actually Jim Strong and John Robertson both had better winning percentages then coach Sanchez. I personally think he will step back up this next year, and I will wait until this next season is complete before condemning this coming up season!

I can't believe that anybody could possibly want a new coach. CTS has done more for this football program than anybody in the last 30 years not to mention all of the facilities, community outreach and promotion of Las Vegas itself. He 's not ashamed of or does he shy away from Vegas. He has won more games per year than any coach in the last 30 years. UNLV should stick with him regardless of what happens this year.

Losing to Howard is doing more than anyone has in 30 years? He has had 4 losing seasons so far and no Bowl games. Hauck took UNLV to a bowl. We will see if they can some how wins 6 games against a very difficult schedule this fall.

Losing to Howard is doing more than anyone has in 30 years? He has had 4 losing seasons so far and no Bowl games. Hauck took UNLV to a bowl. We will see if they can some how wins 6 games against a very difficult schedule this fall.

That is fine.

But why are you openly rooting for, advocating or hoping that Sanchez will be fired, when you know that means another losing season.

I’m delusional ok! You must have missed the Howard game a few years ago. We were favored by 40 points and flat out lost the game. I guess that is acceptable! Or the SJSU game last year. A winless team hung 50 on us and blew us out! That is really acceptable! Smh
This should ring a bell, Reb1. Remember Bobby Hauck? Same thing happened to him. Lost to two former FCS opponents and nearly lost to another. He would have soundly beaten them as he did while at MT. WTF? It's the program, stupid! Not the coaches. Yes, new stadium will help, but I think getting the Fertitta center built will help even more.

Hauck took UNLV to a bowl..

I'll note that it took 2 and a half games that year of Hauck avoiding very stringently putting in Caleb Herring. If Nick Sherry starts the entire year, they may not win a game. Caleb having his miraculous senior season is what brought Hauck to a bowl game, along with Cornett and Davis. Those 8 wins in 4 years otherwise speak more strongly about his time at UNLV.

Hauck, to his credit, put Caleb in. All reports leading to that point were that Caleb had an infinitely better fall camp. Hauck went with the anointed one until 10 quarters of football were played. Either way, not to lose the original point of all this, in a potential new coach. Just wanted to put that out there.

I'll note that it took 2 and a half games that year of Hauck avoiding very stringently putting in Caleb Herring. If Nick Sherry starts the entire year, they may not win a game. Caleb having his miraculous senior season is what brought Hauck to a bowl game, along with Cornett and Davis. Those 8 wins in 4 years otherwise speak more strongly about his time at UNLV.

Hauck, to his credit, put Caleb in. All reports leading to that point were that Caleb had an infinitely better fall camp. Hauck went with the anointed one until 10 quarters of football were played. Either way, not to lose the original point of all this, in a potential new coach. Just wanted to put that out there.

Hauck was stuck at QB.

Caleb played arguably the worst game I've ever seen at QB vs Reno a few years before.. Like 1-14 for 7 yards.

He was struggling so much he was moved to WR.

Sherry had a nice RS freshman campaign. Showed some flashes.

I honestly think the Central Michigan game ruined him. He threw that pick 6 when the Rebels were driving in a tight game, never the same player again. It really shook his confidence. He looked like he didn't trust what he saw on the field.

Hauck was stuck at QB.

Caleb played arguably the worst game I've ever seen at QB vs Reno a few years before.. Like 1-14 for 7 yards.

He was struggling so much he was moved to WR.

Sherry had a nice RS freshman campaign. Showed some flashes.

I honestly think the Central Michigan game ruined him. He threw that pick 6 when the Rebels were driving in a tight game, never the same player again. It really shook his confidence. He looked like he didn't trust what he saw on the field.

Yeah, Sherry really showed some promise! Anyone know what became of him ?

Last edited:
Yeah, Sherry really showed some promise! Any know what became of him ?

I heard from a former player from that team, that there was a ton of friction between Sherry and Hauck's old OC...A lot...To the point it negatively impacted Nick and his performance/development. This is a players opinion so not saying that is actually the case. Just what was relayed to me...

Reactions: RebelinWA
I heard from a former player from that team, that there was a ton of friction between Sherry and Hauck's old OC...A lot...To the point it negatively impacted Nick and his performance/development. This is a players opinion so not saying that is actually the case. Just what was relayed to me...
I've heard similar things about Sherry not having a great relationship with some staff. Not from players so possibly less useful info.

Nick looked wonderful his Freshman year, up until he was hurt playing Boise St (?). Never was the same, but I would agree Bull that CMU was when he was broken.

I think he left the team with eligibility remaining and moved out of football, isn't that the case?

I've heard similar things about Sherry not having a great relationship with some staff. Not from players so possibly less useful info.

Nick looked wonderful his Freshman year, up until he was hurt playing Boise St (?). Never was the same, but I would agree Bull that CMU was when he was broken.

I think he left the team with eligibility remaining and moved out of football, isn't that the case?

He had eligibility remaining (I think? I seem to remember wondering if he would be part of Sanchez' first year), but chose not to come back. He got his degree early if I remember right.

I forgot about the injury in Boise game..

Reactions: LocoRebel
If Sanchez can win 6 games with this tough schedule than he deserves an extension. The defense will have to play better! Getting a running back to replace Lexington will be tough. They are also very thin at wide receivers. You don’t want to put to much pressure on Rogers...

Reactions: LocoRebel
Charles Williams is plenty capable.
Agreed. You know, that was possibly the biggest surprise for me of last years team - that Chuck didn't get as much run... almost none right? I'm not going back to look at stats or anything but... what did he appear in maybe 7 games as a RB? Probably 20 carries on the season? I thought he was very good in the previous year (or was that going back to his freshman year?).

Regardless, I agree with UNLV Rebel1 here. This isn't a year where the team will be able to play anything less than "good" and win 6 games. There's 2-3 games that ought to be wins on the schedule and 3-5 that are likely losses. What happens in between is what decides the future, so they will have to earn it.

Agreed. You know, that was possibly the biggest surprise for me of last years team - that Chuck didn't get as much run... almost none right? I'm not going back to look at stats or anything but... what did he appear in maybe 7 games as a RB? Probably 20 carries on the season? I thought he was very good in the previous year (or was that going back to his freshman year?).

Regardless, I agree with UNLV Rebel1 here. This isn't a year where the team will be able to play anything less than "good" and win 6 games. There's 2-3 games that ought to be wins on the schedule and 3-5 that are likely losses. What happens in between is what decides the future, so they will have to earn it.
I didn’t get it either. I was so excited to see him play but he didn’t get much time at all. Especially surprising because Lex hit a funk for several games last year.

Then again, Tyleek emerged as somebody that needed to get some touches in open space because of his ability to score from anywhere on the field with space.

I didn’t get it either. I was so excited to see him play but he didn’t get much time at all. Especially surprising because Lex hit a funk for several games last year.

Then again, Tyleek emerged as somebody that needed to get some touches in open space because of his ability to score from anywhere on the field with space.

Tyleek flourished with Max at QB. Fell off with Armani.

When Armani went down, the offense changed a bit. Max can run the zone read stuff. He's pretty athletic and has above avg speed for a QB. But I have to imagine the staff was reluctant to draw up a as many designed runs or options and risk another injury.

So more emphasis was put into the passing game. When Armani was on the field it opened up the run game more. Hurt Lex helped Tyleek.

Charles only issues have been staying healthy and he's had a couple fumbles. I think he was a little banged up last year.

Reactions: RebelinWA

I began to suspect that Williams wasn't fully recovered from his injury last season because UNLV also could have used him as a kick returner and didn't. As a freshman he was a good return man.

The offense kind of defined itself in September when Armani Rogers emerged as one of the leading rushers in the country and Lex was also in the top 10. I'm not sure how Williams' numbers changed after Armani went down, but by then it already seemed he wasn't going to get as many touches as expected.

I don't want to see a losing season. Quite the contrary. We need momentum going into the inaugural year of the stadium and a winning season would help. I like Sanchez, I just have doubts. Especially looking at this year schedule.
A winning season this year would make this program even more legit

Exactly.

Its worn on me.

I was captain positive for years. Now I'm pretty bitter and jaded. Basically I've become a confidential board poster about basketball.

At least the basketball centric folks have seen some winning seasons and wins over the top 25 in the last decade.

I have to go back all the way to Sanford vs ASU for a signature win.. Phillip Payne you beautiful one handed catching bastard!

Oh and Haucks 7-5 season.

That's it.

I began to suspect that Williams wasn't fully recovered from his injury last season because UNLV also could have used him as a kick returner and didn't. As a freshman he was a good return man.

The offense kind of defined itself in September when Armani Rogers emerged as one of the leading rushers in the country and Lex was also in the top 10. I'm not sure how Williams' numbers changed after Armani went down, but by then it already seemed he wasn't going to get as many touches as expected.

I just don't think he was 100% healthy. It took Woods half the season took look comfortable after his injury. (Different type of injury obviously).

Had Armani stayed healthy maybe Chuck gets more run (pun intended) in an effort to keep Lex and he fresh.

Once Max came in the offense relied more on the pass.

Lex numbers dropped considerably.

Exactly.

Its worn on me.

I was captain positive for years. Now I'm pretty bitter and jaded. Basically I've become a confidential board poster about basketball.

At least the basketball centric folks have seen some winning seasons and wins over the top 25 in the last decade.

I have to go back all the way to Sanford vs ASU for a signature win.. Phillip Payne you beautiful one handed catching bastard!

Oh and Haucks 7-5 season.

That's it.
What about Straiten’s most significant catch while at UNLV?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
What about Straiten’s most significant catch while at UNLV?

The greatest catch never...

Listened to it on the radio....Dave McCann on the call. Guy was the worst.

Every play sounded like this....Super excited voice:

'Haro gets the ball jukes a defender, spins out of a tackle heads up field, makes another guy miss!'

Haro for 2 yard gain.

Poor Sanford...Was so close...

Actually had Rebs off to a 4-1 start before wheels came off.

He overhyped Streiten a ton.

Rocky Hines was damaged goods. Had one or two games where he flashed but it just never panned out..Injuries derailed him.

Also maybe our worst uniform era...

The greatest catch never...

Listened to it on the radio....Dave McCann on the call. Guy was the worst.

Every play sounded like this....Super excited voice:

'Haro gets the ball jukes a defender, spins out of a tackle heads up field, makes another guy miss!'

Haro for 2 yard gain.

Poor Sanford...Was so close...

Actually had Rebs off to a 4-1 start before wheels came off.

He overhyped Streiten a ton.

Rocky Hines was damaged goods. Had one or two games where he flashed but it just never panned out..Injuries derailed him.
McCann is, was and will always be a smug UNLV hating/BYU loving idiot. The snooty segment of the BYU fanbase that UNLV fans dislike so much is exactly what that guy is.

No player has been more overhyped that I can recall and that includes Hines and JT. Never came close. I still remember being in Ely (believe it or not) watching them work, excited about Straiten, scratching my head ... and saying F Straiten, who tf is this Wolfe freshman? And Flair was clearly better than Straiten.

There was no way the catch was a TD, he wasn’t close to in. But emotions are high as hell and I really don’t blame Sanford because in principle, he was right. He did mutter “it was a touchdown” but his main premise was it was a catch, it was in the end zone and it WASN’T even reviewed. I think review was in its infant stages back then. By today’s standards, even though he was out of bounds, it would have been a 5 minute stoppage so they could review before rendering the decision. We all wanted it to be a TD, but it wasn’t. Still, I feel Sanford was right. He just could have looked a little more graceful. I also thought he was “right” in his parting shots at UNLV. What he said, IMO, was factually right, but the timing and delivery was way off and came across to everyone as sour grapes. But he was right.

I don’t think he was nearly as bad as most people thought. And I thought he was better than Hauck. Not that I thought Sanford was great.

McCann is, was and will always be a smug UNLV hating/BYU loving idiot. The snooty segment of the BYU fanbase that UNLV fans dislike so much is exactly what that guy is.

No player has been more overhyped that I can recall and that includes Hines and JT. Never came close. I still remember being in Ely (believe it or not) watching them work, excited about Straiten, scratching my head ... and saying F Straiten, who tf is this Wolfe freshman? And Flair was clearly better than Straiten.

There was no way the catch was a TD, he wasn’t close to in. But emotions are high as hell and I really don’t blame Sanford because in principle, he was right. He did mutter “it was a touchdown” but his main premise was it was a catch, it was in the end zone and it WASN’T even reviewed. I think review was in its infant stages back then. By today’s standards, even though he was out of bounds, it would have been a 5 minute stoppage so they could review before rendering the decision. We all wanted it to be a TD, but it wasn’t. Still, I feel Sanford was right. He just could have looked a little more graceful. I also thought he was “right” in his parting shots at UNLV. What he said, IMO, was factually right, but the timing and delivery was way off and came across to everyone as sour grapes. But he was right.

I don’t think he was nearly as bad as most people thought. And I thought he was better than Hauck. Not that I thought Sanford was great.

Nailed it.

He was 'right' about UNLV, just went about it the wrong way. You want change, you need to be the catalyst. I'm not a Sanchez fan, but it would be disingenuous to say he hasn't hustled off the field trying to get some things fixed.

It's what has been so frustrating at UNLV for football. Sanford should have worked. Hauck should have worked. You don't go 80-17 and 2 FCS title game appearances if you can't coach. UNLV was an awful fit for Hauck. Griz football was the only show in town and Hauck didn't have to hustle to get things done. New uniforms? Talk to local car dealer who's an alum. Weights? No problem. I have a feeling it was more of a 'what can we as boosters do to help' scenario at Montana. Here you have to pitch why they should care..

Hauck hated the hand shaking and schmoozing. I also don't think he realized just how little people care/cared about football here.

Hauck made his mark by getting the under the radar guys to come to Montana, or grabbing the left over D1 guys. That's fine at the FCS level but at D1 it won't work. Even in the Non P5.

It really is getting close to do or die time for UNLV athletics.

If no invite comes from the P5, some serious decisions will have to be made.

Nailed it.

He was 'right' about UNLV, just went about it the wrong way. You want change, you need to be the catalyst. I'm not a Sanchez fan, but it would be disingenuous to say he hasn't hustled off the field trying to get some things fixed.

It's what has been so frustrating at UNLV for football. Sanford should have worked. Hauck should have worked. You don't go 80-17 and 2 FCS title game appearances if you can't coach. UNLV was an awful fit for Hauck. Griz football was the only show in town and Hauck didn't have to hustle to get things done. New uniforms? Talk to local car dealer who's an alum. Weights? No problem. I have a feeling it was more of a 'what can we as boosters do to help' scenario at Montana. Here you have to pitch why they should care..

Hauck hated the hand shaking and schmoozing. I also don't think he realized just how little people care/cared about football here.

Hauck made his mark by getting the under the radar guys to come to Montana, or grabbing the left over D1 guys. That's fine at the FCS level but at D1 it won't work. Even in the Non P5.

The things you state about Hauck are true. I have a feeling that things here were much different than he envisioned. I think people underestimate that aspect of the jobs. Not every job is a great fit. Any walk of life. You can be one of the best in your field in whatever, it’s going to click much better in some environments than others. And no matter how good you might be, it might click very little at other places. Of course, the best of the best can go wherever and have great success. But even that will be variable. Self can win a natty at a lot of places, do I think he would do it here? He’d give us the best we’ve had in forever, but we might not give him the best to win. He’s the same coach. Could get the same players. So what’s the variable? I’m just saying places are different and I feel UNLV, especially basketball, is really a completely different animal. Ironically, I think the only coach that had a strong idea of what they were getting into at UNLV was Rice and even he couldn’t avoid the pitfalls. Kruger had success and he was taken aback that it wasn’t enough. I think on the surface, a lot of people expect this job to be within a standard deviation or two away from what’s “normal” and quite frankly, it isn’t, it’s similar to UCLA, an outlier from relatively normal. And I think that nails many coaches. They get ambushed. And my fear with Otz - to be honest, any coach that would take the job - is that same thing is going to happen. So when I see signs, I can’t help but wonder if it’s a similar path...

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
With the investment of millions in the football facility & the need for the football program to fill a portion of events at the Raiders Stadium. The school has no choice but to maintain the program.
Clark County also has no choice, the region has gone all in regardless of Pac affiliation.

Nailed it.

With the investment of millions in the football facility & the need for the football program to fill a portion of events at the Raiders Stadium. The school has no choice but to maintain the program.
Clark County also has no choice, the region has gone all in regardless of Pac affiliation.

True...

But when conference expansion comes the teams left out will be left even further behind.

It could actually get worse as hard as that is to believe..

The things you state about Hauck are true. I have a feeling that things here were much different than he envisioned. I think people underestimate that aspect of the jobs. Not every job is a great fit. Any walk of life. You can be one of the best in your field in whatever, it’s going to click much better in some environments than others. And no matter how good you might be, it might click very little at other places. Of course, the best of the best can go wherever and have great success. But even that will be variable. Self can win a natty at a lot of places, do I think he would do it here? He’d give us the best we’ve had in forever, but we might not give him the best to win. He’s the same coach. Could get the same players. So what’s the variable? I’m just saying places are different and I feel UNLV, especially basketball, is really a completely different animal. Ironically, I think the only coach that had a strong idea of what they were getting into at UNLV was Rice and even he couldn’t avoid the pitfalls. Kruger had success and he was taken aback that it wasn’t enough. I think on the surface, a lot of people expect this job to be within a standard deviation or two away from what’s “normal” and quite frankly, it isn’t, it’s similar to UCLA, an outlier from relatively normal. And I think that nails many coaches. They get ambushed. And my fear with Otz - to be honest, any coach that would take the job - is that same thing is going to happen. So when I see signs, I can’t help but wonder if it’s a similar path...

Pretty fair assessment..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT