ADVERTISEMENT

Football recruits at SDSU game?

BornRebelRed

Retired Number
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2007
I was wondering if Coach Sanchez had any recruits at the Rebel game.
Anyone hear anything? Signing day is soon...

1. Raymond Brewer‏@raybrewer21 17h17 hours ago

Here are some of the #unlvfb recruits in town for the weekend. Arena and pregame show surely a selling point @unlvfootballpic.twitter.com/tInUIbsbDh

DUmFP3XVQAAeA9l.jpg

Wow !!! Thanks. I have always thought we we a sleeping giant in football. Maybe someday my dreams will materialize....
JRob thought that, too. Was cool that he got childhood pal John Madden to pony up for the practice field lights. Too bad events took the turn they did. The giant may have been awakened years ago.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
JRob thought that, too. Was cool that he got childhood pal John Madden to pony up for the practice field lights. Too bad events took the turn they did. The giant may have been awakened years ago.

JRob had issues besides his wife as sad as that was. I saw him in an interview after his UNLV days. When asked if UNLV could ever become a consistent top 20 team he said no. I want a coach who can see IT!

Indeed. JRob hated recruiting when it was hard work. Recruiting at USC is easy. Build it, work hard and they will come.
Stylistically, I wasn’t a huge JRob fan. USC or the Rams.

But take a snapshot of the decades of UNLV football. The JRob era stands out. We were decent, we were somewhat respectable, won a little bowl game, I think we were briefly ranked, had some (bs) Heisman talk. There was a little bit of buzz. I mean, it speaks volumes about your program historically when a mediocre stretch is considered a golden era. But for UNLV, JRob was great.

Stylistically, I wasn’t a huge JRob fan. USC or the Rams.

But take a snapshot of the decades of UNLV football. The JRob era stands out. We were decent, we were somewhat respectable, won a little bowl game, I think we were briefly ranked, had some (bs) Heisman talk. There was a little bit of buzz. I mean, it speaks volumes about your program historically when a mediocre stretch is considered a golden era. But for UNLV, JRob was great.
True. Extremely low standard to meet and barely exceed but definitely true.

True. Extremely low standard to meet and barely exceed but definitely true.
It was more than barely exceeding a low standard, to be honest. I can't remember who was ranked, who wasn't... but we dominated UNR.... I know we took Ole Miss to OT at their place as a huge underdog... lost the game on a Deuce McAllister TD.... beat Arkansas in the Las Vegas bowl... and were general competitive and looked the part because JRob was able to get some decent size on the lines. His name drew some talent without him busting his ass. So it wasn't horrible at all, I know I liked watching them because you didn't feel like every game was a longshot to win.

It was more than barely exceeding a low standard, to be honest. I can't remember who was ranked, who wasn't... but we dominated UNR.... I know we took Ole Miss to OT at their place as a huge underdog... lost the game on a Deuce McAllister TD.... beat Arkansas in the Las Vegas bowl... and were general competitive and looked the part because JRob was able to get some decent size on the lines. His name drew some talent without him busting his ass. So it wasn't horrible at all, I know I liked watching them because you didn't feel like every game was a longshot to win.
It wasn't great football, but it was balanced football. Balanced attack on offense, some good linebackers and DB's too... bend don't break, but at least we had some guys that could get to the QB and cover somebody and make an open field tackle... it was more fundamental than we've seen around these parts.

Reactions: mvvsmith
Except when Claridge tried to assist with tackling the (I believe Wyoming) WR and took out his own man allowing the WR to run for a TD. That’s the UNLV defense I know and love!

I’m joking as that was one mistake. Overall we were a better defense, as you pointed out, and absolutely looked like a college team versus some of the times we have been undersized.
Oh, we definitely had some stinkers under Robinson. How Dodge Masters ever saw the field amazed me. Only time he'd make any contact with anyone was on a pile up and he was always last man on the pile.

UNLV football has never been ranked. They reached #26 (most votes not in the top 25) during the Cunningham year, but they have never been in the top 25.

UNLV football has never been ranked. They reached #26 (most votes not in the top 25) during the Cunningham year, but they have never been in the top 25.
My bad. I had a vague recollection that we were (barely) ranked after the LV Bowl victory over Arkansas. A preseason ranking that immediately disappeared because we lost in week 1 at Arkansas... I thought the ranking came with the JT for Heisman hype. I probably mistook it because that’s as much hype as the program had generated since I’ve been around.

UNLV finished that season 8-5 and only had one win over a team that finished the regular season with a winning record.

That was a good team with a good staff. It "should" have grown from there....heavy sigh.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Oh, we definitely had some stinkers under Robinson. How Dodge Masters ever saw the field amazed me. Only time he'd make any contact with anyone was on a pile up and he was always last man on the pile.
Dodd-Masters... I remember calling him Dutch Masters, like the cigar, as he was always getting torched!

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Dodd-Masters... I remember calling him Dutch Masters, like the cigar, as he was always getting torched!
I thought I was going nuts for a second. Don’t know how accurate the wiki actually is, but it shows that UNLV was ranked #25 and #24 in the 2001 preseason, by SI and Football Digest. I think at Arkansas was the first game, I remember a bad snap to the punter late in the game (I think?) and that was all she wrote as far as accolades for the season. The Rebels faltered, JT was exposed as a Heisman fraud....

I thought I was going nuts for a second. Don’t know how accurate the wiki actually is, but it shows that UNLV was ranked #25 and #24 in the 2001 preseason, by SI and Football Digest. I think at Arkansas was the first game, I remember a bad snap to the punter late in the game (I think?) and that was all she wrote as far as accolades for the season. The Rebels faltered, JT was exposed as a Heisman fraud....
Wow, Dave. We really choked this mutha away. In full control ....

5a7342494345f-2743CD6A-D78A-4E38-9829-975A07F5D30E.png

5a7342a8cfa05-6269683E-F973-4755-B105-56932702D1BB.png

Never ranked in the coaches or AP poll, the ones most people follow.

That Ole Miss game was rough. Freaking Deuce! I. I was a student at the time. I was hyped entering that season. It's probably why I care about football because we were somewhat relevant when I was a student.

Offense never quite took it to the next level. Defense was solid, but not great. Best defense we have had in the past 20 years though... blech.

Heavy sigh...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT