ADVERTISEMENT

Finally official!

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
I've been waiting for this to break for weeks now. Will be a good game. Was initially going to be in Moraga, but both teams were invited to the tournament and decided to play there instead; thats what the holdup was for an announcement.

shaping up to be a much better schedule. I am SUPER excited about the early season trip to Daytona, Florida (this way I can see them play)

- I dont remember playing St Marys EVER ? Seems so logical - Should be a good game

Reactions: LVRebel2000
shaping up to be a much better schedule. I am SUPER excited about the early season trip to Daytona, Florida (this way I can see them play)

- I dont remember playing St Marys EVER ? Seems so logical - Should be a good game
We used to play St Mary's twice a year when we were in the old WCAC before Tarks arrival. Other teams in the conference included Pacific,
San Francisco and Uscb amongst others.

Gauchooooooooos One of my largest ear worms ever! Cedric Caballus; (sp) Tark wanted him wanted and I think his mother wanted him to stay "home". Tark told his mother if we had gotten Cedric we'd be in the final four.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Gauchooooooooos One of my largest ear worms ever! Cedric Caballus; (sp) Tark wanted him wanted and I think his mother wanted him to stay "home". Tark told his mother if we had gotten Cedric we'd be in the final four.

He would've been on the 88-89 and 89-90 teams then. Yeah it would've been interesting to see how Tark would play Cedric and Stacey because they've got a similar build and can play multiple positions, Stacey the better defender and facilitator, Cedric the better scorer and rebounder. Can you imagine having either of those guys coming off the bench?!

*wait, didnt Ceballos for Fullerton?

He would've been on the 88-89 and 89-90 teams then. Yeah it would've been interesting to see how Tark would play Cedric and Stacey because they've got a similar build and can play multiple positions, Stacey the better defender and facilitator, Cedric the better scorer and rebounder. Can you imagine having either of those guys coming off the bench?!

*wait, didnt Ceballos for Fullerton?
I wasn't sure who he played for other than a Big West rivaL. I remember him as a hell of a player.

Think about those days. Rebels made those conferencse so much better. Think about Beach, UCSB, Fullerton, Irvine, Fresno, Pacific. I would guess they had some of their best teams and best players ever when Rebels shared conferences with PCAA/Big West. Some great games and crazy crowds in those crackerjack gyms.

Those were the days living in cali in HS getting to see Rebs on cable access vs Irvine Fullerton etc. Had a Kebu Stewart jersey. Thanks guys for all the fun and memories here and info from Lobby

Reactions: Rebelhustle
He was definitely Fullerton and he was a great player. It was always Stacey’s toughest matchup in college. Ced didn’t defend a lick but could really score. He proved that in the NBA too.
Top all big west team..no UNLV players.

5 positions!!

For Me:

C - Tod Murphy - UC Irvine - 4 year starter career 15 and 8 average, 2 time 1st team PCAA
F - Greg Grant - Utah State - 4 year starter career 19 and 9, 2 time 1st team, 2 time 2nd team PCAA
F - Ricky Berry - San Jose State - 3 year starter career 21 and 6, 3 time 1st team
G - Lucious Harris - LBSU - 4 year starter career 19 and 5, 2 time 1st team 1 time second team Big West
G - Sam Crawford - NMSU 2 years starter career 13 and 9 (assist) - 1 time 1st team 1 time 2nd team Big West - 1st and 3rd in the NCAA in assists

Ceballos, Shaw, Brooks, and Bruce Bowen all had more talent and better NBA careers but I weighted mine for longevity in the conference, post season performance, and any national notoriety.

Some good names mentioned. I would go with Johnny Rogers of Irvine (Stanford transfer) over Murphy. Murphy was good, played well against the Rebels, but Rogers torched the Rebels. Had a couple of 30 point games and a 40+ game at their gym in 86. Was a fairly high 2nd round pick I believe in the NBA

Reactions: RebelScrub
Some good names mentioned. I would go with Johnny Rogers of Irvine (Stanford transfer) over Murphy. Murphy was good, played well against the Rebels, but Rogers torched the Rebels. Had a couple of 30 point games and a 40+ game at their gym in 86. Was a fairly high 2nd round pick I believe in the NBA
Johnny Rogers was great, but i think he started at the 4 for those Irvine teams and despite having some great offensive games, I couldn't put him over Grant or Berry given their longer histories. And while Tod didn't go until the third round, he played a lot longer in the NBA than Johnny did.

That '86 Irvine team had 4 NBA players (Brooks, Murphy, Rogers, and Englestad), They were TOUGH.

There's a lot of really good 2 year guys that didn't quite make my list.

Johnny Rogers was great, but i think he started at the 4 for those Irvine teams and despite having some great offensive games, I couldn't put him over Grant or Berry given their longer histories. And while Tod didn't go until the third round, he played a lot longer in the NBA than Johnny did.

That '86 Irvine team had 4 NBA players (Brooks, Murphy, Rogers, and Englestad), They were TOUGH.

There's a lot of really good 2 year guys that didn't quite make my list.
Technically you are right, Murphy was their center. I was looking at if you were building a team from scratch either one of them could play the position, both were also very solid rebounders in addition to scoring.

Yes Mulligan had some talent. Wish it had been Jerry, but was very happy when they beat UCLA in 88. Had some good times over the years discussing that. He was right before UNLV entered the PCAA but Kevin Magee was a force for them.

Reactions: Couev
Top 10 by position, how well they played in college and how well they played against UNLV while Jerry was the HC who was the standard of the conference, first and second team would be:

PG: Leon Wood/Scott Brooks

SG: Carrick Dehart/Luscious Harris

Forwards: Cedric Ceballos/ Greg Grant/Ricky Berry/Eric McArthur

Top all big west team..no UNLV players.

5 positions!!
Brian Shaw, 6'6" G, UCSB
Ricky Berry, 6'8" G, San Jose St.
Todd Murphy, 6'10" C, UC Irvine
Cedric Ceballos, 6'7" F, CS Fullerton
Johnny Rogers, 6'10" F/C, UC Irvine

Brian Shaw, 6'6" G, UCSB
Ricky Berry, 6'8" G, San Jose St.
Todd Murphy, 6'10" C, UC Irvine
Cedric Ceballos, 6'7" F, CS Fullerton
Johnny Rogers, 6'10" F/C, UC Irvine
Along with Lucious Harris, NBA veteran Bryon Russell played for Long Beach in the late 80’s/early 90’s. He’s famous for trying to guard Jordan during the last dance championship.

Leon Wood was my favorite player as a kid. I went to a lot of his games at CSUF.

Not is the same class as a lot of the guys already mentioned but Dell Demps was really good at Pacific '88-'92. He averaged 16, 19 and 19 PPG his Soph-Sr seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT