ADVERTISEMENT

Fans

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Our fans don't know how to participate at a football game.

On critical defensive stands the fans should be shouting and screaming their hearts out. But it doesn't happen. We're so laid back it's ridiculous. We need a noise meter or something to generate interest from the fans that are there.

On critical defensive stands the fans should be shouting and screaming their hearts out. But it doesn't happen. We're so laid back it's ridiculous. We need a noise meter or something to generate interest from the fans that are there.
The type of atmosphere you are talking about requires a student body that attends games in mass. Traditions, cheers, chants songs etc all play a huge part in creating a fun/exciting atmosphere. Those start with and end with the student body. There were maybe 100 at yesterdays game. ( credit to those that care)I really don't care who this upsets but this student body is trash/garbage when it comes to school spirit. They have whats called fake hustle when it comes to basketball. Its easy its convenient. The Rebellion wants donations for puppets but find it to much trouble to attend football games.

UNLV made an effort to get the students out to this game.

I've heard 100 times winning will help. It shouldn't have to. Washington State has been the Pac12 door mat for years. But somehow their student body still shows to games. They some how find a way to get a flag up for every college game day regardless of the location. Their students also pay for season football tickets.

The simple truth of it is the students do not care at UNLV about the football team. An on campus stadium won't help. The minute they realize they will be paying for tickets they will protest. Remember this is the same group that protested football because parking went up a few bucks.

I can understand the lack of community support but not students.

I have not missed a Rebel game in 15 years, I can live with losing. I hate the student apathy though. The empty student section, the listless fans, being outnumbered by opposing fans has literally made attending the games depressing. Love the Rebs, I just feel bad these kids play Div 1 football in front of Community College crowds.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I don't think Washington State is a good example to use. If you've ever been to Pullman you would know there is nothing else for the students to do. My son had offers from Washington State and Idaho and it was a relief he didn't choose either one. Pullman and Moscow are definitely college towns. Unlike Las Vegas.

I don't think Washington State is a good example to use. If you've ever been to Pullman you would know there is nothing else for the students to do. My son had offers from Washington State and Idaho and it was a relief he didn't choose either one. Pullman and Moscow are definitely college towns. Unlike Las Vegas.
I have been to Pullman. It is in the middle of nowhere. I am also glad your son chose UNLV. He is developing into a very very good TE. That does not however mean Pullman is a bad example when it comes to student support. Their stadium is 43 years old and not very nice. It is also small by PAC12 standards. Even still their students show up in force for all their games regardless of their record. I believe heading into this year under their newest coach they are 17-27. That isn't a whole lot more winning than what we saw with Hauck. This isn't about Vegas vs Pullman or any other town. This is about arguably the worst student section I have seen in college football. I honestly feel bad for your son and the rest of the team after a win and they sing the school fight song to a relatively empty student section.

Again WSU students pay to watch losing football in an old stadium with very few amenities.

I get not wanting to live/play in Pullman. But I wouldn't mind swapping their student section for ours. Its not even close.

Last edited:
Bull it must have been awhile since you've been to Pullman. They upgraded their football facilities and the stadium. That's one of the reasons they are able to get better kids now.

Bull it must have been awhile since you've been to Pullman. They upgraded their football facilities and the stadium. That's one of the reasons they are able to get better kids now.
I was there when we played them 3-4 years ago. It was built in 1973. It is an ok stadium, nothing spectacular. West Virginia's stadium was really cool.

I think we are talking about two different things though. I am in no way taking shots at our players or recruiting.

I also am resigned to the fact it will take time to get community support. UNLV will have to put 3-4-5 winning seasons together before that happens.

My disappointment is directed totally at the student body of somewhwere between 20k and 30k students (accounting for non traditional students) There might have been 200 kids at that game. I am sorry but that is disappointing for a high school much less a University this size.

I am resigned to the fact a new stadium, wins and losses won't matter with them. They sadly don't care about football.

There will be a small bump to attendance with students for Homecoming. If it follows previous years they will be gone by midway through 3rd quarter regardless of the score.

I just think the players deserve better.

Yep. I talked about this a while ago in a thread called "fan orientation" or something like that. Don't get loud when we're on offense in the red zone. Go crazy on 3rd and 4th down defensive plays.

I actually thought the crowd was pretty good for SJSU. We could used another 7500 bodies, but as far as fan IQ goes, it was pretty good. Yesterday was a step back.

By the way, when I was VERY critical of this community before the SJSU game because only 17,000 were expected, several people responded that it was all about a bad opponent, and that we'd have a really good crowd for BSU. What happened? Box score has attendance below 15k.... So much for that.

So when we win we can't expect to have better attendance (see SJSU) but when we lose, attendance goes down (see BSU)? Really frustrating. Sanchez has a long road ahead of him.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Yep. I talked about this a while ago in a thread called "fan orientation" or something like that. Don't get loud when we're on offense in the red zone. Go crazy on 3rd and 4th down defensive plays.

I actually thought the crowd was pretty good for SJSU. We could used another 7500 bodies, but as far as fan IQ goes, it was pretty good. Yesterday was a step back.

By the way, when I was VERY critical of this community before the SJSU game because only 17,000 were expected, several people responded that it was all about a bad opponent, and that we'd have a really good crowd for BSU. What happened? Box score has attendance below 15k.... So much for that.

So when we win we can't expect to have better attendance (see SJSU) but when we lose, attendance goes down (see BSU)? Really frustrating. Sanchez has a long road ahead of him.
Doesn't matter who the coach is, they have a long road ahead of them at UNLV. There's SO MUCH that needs to change and Sanchez is keeping up his end of the bargain, IMO. But a lot of other things need to fall into place and it's impossible for some of those things to happen overnight.

This program has been so neglected/mismanaged for so long, it's like a condemned house. Sanchez, or whoever is head, has more work than the average head D1 football coach has. Remember when, on his way out, Sanford complained about some things? Yes, the timing was petty and reeked of sour grapes, but what he spoke about were a few small symptoms of the larger problem. He complained of the headaches and nausea that might come from chemotherapy instead of whining about the cancer.

I agree that fans showing up and filling the stadium helps you reach your goals much more quickly. But Vegas fans aren't like that, they never have been. The students haven't been either. Not saying it's right, but it's what is being constantly battled.

I hate to say it - the only way the stadium fills is with some continued success, not once in five years, and 2 win seasons, even though they are drastically better to any person who has actually watched, aren't going to cut it.

We can't rewind 30 years and get to the root of the problem - this is decades of neglect trying to be overcome. It isn't for the weak of heart.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1

Turning around community support can be tough but winning helps. See Temple this year for example.

Problem for Sanchez is he has to find someway to generate support from the student body as well.

I don't envy him at all.

Doesn't matter who the coach is, they have a long road ahead of them at UNLV. There's SO MUCH that needs to change and Sanchez is keeping up his end of the bargain, IMO. But a lot of other things need to fall into place and it's impossible for some of those things to happen overnight.

This program has been so neglected/mismanaged for so long, it's like a condemned house. Sanchez, or whoever is head, has more work than the average head D1 football coach has. Remember when, on his way out, Sanford complained about some things? Yes, the timing was petty and reeked of sour grapes, but what he spoke about were a few small symptoms of the larger problem. He complained of the headaches and nausea that might come from chemotherapy instead of whining about the cancer.

I agree that fans showing up and filling the stadium helps you reach your goals much more quickly. But Vegas fans aren't like that, they never have been. The students haven't been either. Not saying it's right, but it's what is being constantly battled.

I hate to say it - the only way the stadium fills is with some continued success, not once in five years, and 2 win seasons, even though they are drastically better to any person who has actually watched, aren't going to cut it.

We can't rewind 30 years and get to the root of the problem - this is decades of neglect trying to be overcome. It isn't for the weak of heart.
Joe-

Like the post, especially the part about Sanford. Sour grapes? Yep. But was he right? 100%. It isn't about locker rooms its about perceptions. If it wasn't important why was it one of the first things Sanchez addressed.

The lack of conmunity support while frustrating is understandable.

The lack of knowledge on how or when you are supposed to cheer also frustrating, but understandable until we get better.

The state of apathy by the student body is not. The lack of a fun, engaged, energetic student section has actually created a very dull atmosphere and the games have become less enjoyable to attend win or lose.

Joe-

Like the post, especially the part about Sanford. Sour grapes? Yep. But was he right? 100%. It isn't about locker rooms its about perceptions. If it wasn't important why was it one of the first things Sanchez addressed.

The lack of conmunity support while frustrating is understandable.

The lack of knowledge on how or when you are supposed to cheer also frustrating, but understandable until we get better.

The state of apathy by the student body is not. The lack of a fun, engaged, energetic student section has actually created a very dull atmosphere and the games have become less enjoyable to attend win or lose.
I'm not making up excuses for the students. They SHOULD be there. But there are some things to consider, aside from their apathy.

It's an "old" student body in comparison to most. Who knows what the average age is.

It's such a commuter school. Many have their favorite teams before they attend here. The Las Vegas kids that attend - think of how UNLV was when they were in middle school and high school...

The distance from campus absolutely sucks. That, along with a lack of tradition, just make SBS everything but "the place to be". People want to be a part of something bigger, stronger...

Again, I'm not making excuses for them. It's your school, you should have pride, you need to get out there and support them.

Aside from some palpable success, getting students out there is going to take some creative marketing.

I'm not making up excuses for the students. They SHOULD be there. But there are some things to consider, aside from their apathy.

It's an "old" student body in comparison to most. Who knows what the average age is.

It's such a commuter school. Many have their favorite teams before they attend here. The Las Vegas kids that attend - think of how UNLV was when they were in middle school and high school...

The distance from campus absolutely sucks. That, along with a lack of tradition, just make SBS everything but "the place to be". People want to be a part of something bigger, stronger...

Again, I'm not making excuses for them. It's your school, you should have pride, you need to get out there and support them.

Aside from some palpable success, getting students out there is going to take some creative marketing.
Joe from Thomas and Mack which is essentially campus its 6 miles. Even with a little traffic you can get there in about 10-12 minutes.

Lack of tradition lays at the feet of the students.

I get the demographics for UNLV are different. Even if half of the student body reflects those you mentioned that leaves roughly 15k students.

I really think it is partially a reflection of a generation of young adults with a false sense of entitlement. Hey if 'you' spend a billion dollars and plant a stadium outside my front door I'll go to the game, but how dare you expect me to make any effort.

They tried doing give aways this weekend and it was their worst showing of the year. To bad you gotta bribe these kids to go to games. To be totally clichéd sadly it is what it is...

Funny you should mention this. I just watched the game again and noticed the loudest crowd noise was when the home team had the ball in a crucial situation and needed a score or first down. I thought, either the BSU fans are pretty vocal or the UNLV fans are pretty unsophisticated. Probably both.

Funny you should mention this. I just watched the game again and noticed the loudest crowd noise was when the home team had the ball in a crucial situation and needed a score or first down. I thought, either the BSU fans are pretty vocal or the UNLV fans are pretty unsophisticated. Probably both.
Both...

Joe from Thomas and Mack which is essentially campus its 6 miles. Even with a little traffic you can get there in about 10-12 minutes.

Lack of tradition lays at the feet of the students.

I get the demographics for UNLV are different. Even if half of the student body reflects those you mentioned that leaves roughly 15k students.

I really think it is partially a reflection of a generation of young adults with a false sense of entitlement. Hey if 'you' spend a billion dollars and plant a stadium outside my front door I'll go to the game, but how dare you expect me to make any effort.

They tried doing give aways this weekend and it was their worst showing of the year. To bad you gotta bribe these kids to go to games. To be totally clichéd sadly it is what it is...
Agreed. It has to be "easy" for them to attend or they won't. It is partly a generation thing.

But if it were near campus, walking distance, if there were bars along the way, a more football traditional aura - I think something like that would increase student attendance, and general attendance, ALOT, even without winning at a high clip. College football isn't like basketball - basketball is. 3 hour up and back. Football is an all day event. It HAS to be the place to be. I don't think it can be that as is - and it's not necessarily that SBS is so far away (it is a part of it), but it's in the middle of absolutely nothing. There's nothing else to do - there's no real action.

Agreed. It has to be "easy" for them to attend or they won't. It is partly a generation thing.

But if it were near campus, walking distance, if there were bars along the way, a more football traditional aura - I think something like that would increase student attendance, and general attendance, ALOT, even without winning at a high clip. College football isn't like basketball - basketball is. 3 hour up and back. Football is an all day event. It HAS to be the place to be. I don't think it can be that as is - and it's not necessarily that SBS is so far away (it is a part of it), but it's in the middle of absolutely nothing. There's nothing else to do - there's no real action.
There isn't much if anything around the stadium, and that doesn't help you are right. I tailgate before games so I never considered there needing to be extra or other forms of entertainment. (No sarcasm intended there)

We can agree to disagree on the distance from campus. While it is a factor obviously, it shouldn't be in any way. Its 12 maybe 15 minutes from campus. That is nothing more than a trip to 7-11 for a pack of smokes or a 12 pack of beer.

Fireworks after the game will draw big crowds, atleast that is how the 51's do it. It needs to become more family friendly. Ticket give away at elementary schools,Boys and Girls club,and what ever you can think of. Make the kids lifelong fans. Most people seem to stay in Vegas. I grew up out here and my parents took me and my brothers to basketball and football games, as I got older and started my family I made sure to take my kids to games and hope they do the same. My son goes to UNLV and he refuses to sit in the student section because they want drink and don't even pay attention to the game.

Fireworks after the game will draw big crowds, atleast that is how the 51's do it. It needs to become more family friendly. Ticket give away at elementary schools,Boys and Girls club,and what ever you can think of. Make the kids lifelong fans. Most people seem to stay in Vegas. I grew up out here and my parents took me and my brothers to basketball and football games, as I got older and started my family I made sure to take my kids to games and hope they do the same. My son goes to UNLV and he refuses to sit in the student section because they want drink and don't even pay attention to the game.
I'm all for giving a large allotment away for free. I'd rather have butts in seats for free than no butts in the seats for no money.

My son goes to UNLV and he refuses to sit in the student section because they want drink and don't even pay attention to the game.
This was my biggest gripe about USC as well. My friends would sneak alcohol into the game and then want to leave at half to go drink at the bar. I thought they lost their minds since the student section reached to the 50-yard line (great seats, I can't lie).
I also experienced this in the stands when I came back to Vegas so I empathize with your boy.

One other thing that bugs me, could people at least wear the school colors. I don't care if you wear actual UNLV gear but could you at least wear red or gray. At the very least don't wear USC or Michigan or some other schools stuff. I hate seeing dudes rockin their green bedazzled Affliction shirt or the chick rockin her pink Tom Brady jersey.

I know a good portion of people attending games aren't actual fans of UNLV and may just be there with friends but leave your Laker hat and Kobe jersey at home.

We can all sit here and have are closed club where we want the students to be happy to show up and watch a football team that even locals (who have lived here all of their lives) don't watch, we can ask everyone to wear UNLV colors, and we can complain about anything else, but the simple fact is with rare exceptions, UNLV football has been bad for a long time. Right now I will just be happy to have people in the seats to cover up the silver color of the bleachers.

Asking why students don't show up when even UNLV didn't really back the football program until this year, in fact people like Maxson and Harter did everything they could to get rid of football, seems a little crazy. Now that UNLV suddenly backs the program, after +20 years, doesn't buy a pass that requires anyone to show up to the games. They spent over 20 years tearing down the program, the average attendance in the 80's was at least 10,000 more than currently attend games, and this is not going to be fixed in one season. I have dozens of friends that bought tickets for many years who finally got tired of supporting a losing program when UNLV decided to significantly increase the price of tickets some years back even while the program was horrible. Ticket prices may be back down now, but for those who have been around a long time know this did happen with no improvement on the field. If they could get back just those past fans that quit supporting the team, they would have a full stadium every weekend they play.

If we want to see great crowds at the game, we keep supporting the program the best we can, and wait for improvements on and off the field which will eventually draw in new fans, and bring back many of those who got tired of buying season tickets when UNLV was unwilling to put anything into the program.

We can all sit here and have are closed club where we want the students to be happy to show up and watch a football team that even locals (who have lived here all of their lives) don't watch, we can ask everyone to wear UNLV colors, and we can complain about anything else, but the simple fact is with rare exceptions, UNLV football has been bad for a long time. Right now I will just be happy to have people in the seats to cover up the silver color of the bleachers.

Asking why students don't show up when even UNLV didn't really back the football program until this year, in fact people like Maxson and Harter did everything they could to get rid of football, seems a little crazy. Now that UNLV suddenly backs the program, after +20 years, doesn't buy a pass that requires anyone to show up to the games. They spent over 20 years tearing down the program, the average attendance in the 80's was at least 10,000 more than currently attend games, and this is not going to be fixed in one season. I have dozens of friends that bought tickets for many years who finally got tired of supporting a losing program when UNLV decided to significantly increase the price of tickets some years back even while the program was horrible. Ticket prices may be back down now, but for those who have been around a long time know this did happen with no improvement on the field. If they could get back just those past fans that quit supporting the team, they would have a full stadium every weekend they play.

If we want to see great crowds at the game, we keep supporting the program the best we can, and wait for improvements on and off the field which will eventually draw in new fans, and bring back many of those who got tired of buying season tickets when UNLV was unwilling to put anything into the program.

The community and Las Vegas as a whole being apathetic is understandable at this point. But.

Maxson and Harter are gone and have been gone for some time. The sins of the father should not be passed on to the son so to speak. A good chunk of the students now weren't even born when Maxson was there.

I don't want students to be happy to come and watch a struggling football team. What I do want is for them to have the slightest amount of give a damn. This generation of kids has the greatest feeling of entitlement ever and this crop of UNLV students are some of the worst. Give us a good football team and then maybe we will cheer. Give us a new stadium five minutes from campus and we might show up. But don't you dare ask us to pay anything or come up with any traditions or do anything on our own. How dare you ask us to drive ten minutes to the stadium to support our university and fellow students on the field. And if you make us pay an extra five bucks to park we will show you, we will protest football games. Nice.Are we really at a point where it's to much to ask some 18-22 year olds to make some signs and cheer at a football game and create a fun atmosphere? Do we really have to bribe these kids to attend games? What a sad testament. It is what it is and my bitching about it wont change anything. But seriously what a sad narrative about how little spirit or care there is about this University from its students. I used them as an example before and will again, WSU has been a door mat for years but their students show up and cheer regardless.

Their alumi gets that stupid flag to every ESPN college game day every year regardless of where it is...

We can all make excuses and reasons as to why they don't show up. Some of them have some merit but what it really boils down to is they don't care. It's not important to them and if you asked the entire student body when the last time UNLV was in a bowl game for football my guess is that 75% would have no clue. My problem is I try and project what is important to me onto other people, I feel like I didn't go to the school so I shouldn't care more than you. The reality is they do not give a damn now and until it is all gift wrapped and handed to them they are not going to make any effort of their own to help change the culture around football. They simply don't want to work to help build a winner and feel it is the job of others to spend their money to give them a winning program. Unfortunately it took 15 year donating money to the RAF and buying season tickets for me to realize this.

If for no other reason than it would fill up the stadium and make it look good on TV I am just as happy they don't show to the games anymore. They offer nothing anyway.There is a small group that show up every week and I tip my cap to them for the loyalty. They actually get and are enjoying that part of the college experience.

Have any of you seen the Miami home games this year? SBS looks packed compared to there. This is a team that owned, hell defined College Football in the 90's. It is a ghost town now.

1- Distance is an issue. A game day UNLV shuttle program may help. Hell the Men's soccer team drew 1700 fans for an on campus soccer game couple weeks back. A campus stadium experience would absolutely make football games a place to be or be seen.
2- Amenities- outside of Tailgating, not many choices near SBS.
3- Tailgate Restrictions (Fees). Tailgating should not be a revenue source. Charge for Parking, Charge for Oversized vehicles, but charging a premium to a tailgate section sucks. I tried to walk in to meet friends in the tailgate area and got turned away because I had a twelve pack in my arms. I had to either leave it in my vehicle or forget the tailgate. Why not allow tailgates to continue into the first quarter and after the game.
4- Concession Upgrade- They have made strides with the bars ( lines seem shorter), but the food choices are lacking.

#1- I believe the RTC runs from campus to the stadium before and after the games (Free or reduced for students, havent looked in awhile) Not sure how early before and how late after they continue on the route.

#3- They want people inside the stadium for kick -off which is hwy they try and get everyone out of the tailgate area before the game starts (if option was to stay out there most would and not make into the stadium at all) . I know people don't like it when the T&M fills up at the under 12 time out, same thought process here.

A few years ago they instituted a policy that all alcohol had to be driven into the Star Nursery fields. I think this was to curb some of the over the top drinking by students and other fans that was getting out of hand. Not saying I fully agree with it but i have noticed a lot less people passed out or just ridiculously wasted hours before kick off in the Star Nursery Fields.

Have any of you seen the Miami home games this year? SBS looks packed compared to there. This is a team that owned, hell defined College Football in the 90's. It is a ghost town now.

1- Distance is an issue. A game day UNLV shuttle program may help. Hell the Men's soccer team drew 1700 fans for an on campus soccer game couple weeks back. A campus stadium experience would absolutely make football games a place to be or be seen.
2- Amenities- outside of Tailgating, not many choices near SBS.
3- Tailgate Restrictions (Fees). Tailgating should not be a revenue source. Charge for Parking, Charge for Oversized vehicles, but charging a premium to a tailgate section sucks. I tried to walk in to meet friends in the tailgate area and got turned away because I had a twelve pack in my arms. I had to either leave it in my vehicle or forget the tailgate. Why not allow tailgates to continue into the first quarter and after the game.
4- Concession Upgrade- They have made strides with the bars ( lines seem shorter), but the food choices are lacking.

1) Disagree with this one for two reasons. It is 10-15 minutes from campus. You aren't asking them to do the Bataan Death march for God sake. They also already have a shuttle program. Is it an inconvenience yes, but it shouldn't be the complete deterrent that some claim it to be.
2) Amenities I totally agree with. It is desolate and very little to do outside of tailgates.
3) They have to charge for tailgate spots. They have to find a way to generate revenue somehow some way. We aren't selling enough tickets to make money. Somebody has to pay for something. The students get into games for free which you do not see at most universities. I understand your point totally about the cost though. It isn't cheap. Agree with letting people tailgate a little more after games but we already have enough trouble getting people into the games without letting them tailgate into the first quarter.
4) Totally agree concessions are ok at best. Baseball has got a tie in with a place that does really good food, unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment.

It sucks but they have to find ways to generate some revenue and the tailgate is one way to do it. Nearly any college campus you go to tailgate/parking areas typically have a charge attached to it..Completely understand the tenor of your post though, the experience by and large could be improved.

Last edited:
This is Vegas and that's Pullman.
I guess you are right. It shouldn't matter but maybe we are to 'big time' since we are in Vegas to be bothered with corny traditions or things like school spirit. Things like that you see in more small or traditional college towns. We have a more give me, show me approach with our support. You do it and you make it better then we will jump on board. Just don't ask us (students) to help be a part of fixing it.

(Seriously no sarcasm intended in that post. And not trying to egg this on. I think you are right at this point. I hate it, but you are right.)

I think the problem is two-fold. On one side of the campus you have the glitz and glamor of Las Vegas, the Strip, dance clubs, and whatever else college kids indulge in, and way off to the opposite direction you have desert and dirt and a stadium featuring one of the nation's most embarrassing college teams over the past 30 years. That has been our past. The culture has been ingrained for decades and most Saturday nights the college students just find something other to do than trek out to the football games.

Things need to happen in order to reverse this cycle and change UNLV football.

Step 1) Hire the right coach -- I believe we have that now in Coach Sanchez (so we can check step 1 off the list).
Step 2) Build a football facility on campus -- Sanchez mentioned a week or so a go that they have a good plan in place and community people are getting involved to make this happen. I think we'll start hearing more about this during this next offseason.
Step 3) Acquire the 50 acres of land on Koval and Tropicana -- UNLV is working actively on achieving this and the support is growing in favor of this land transaction happening, for multiple reasons. By the end of next month (December) we should know where this stands.
Step 4) Build UNLV Stadium on the corner of Koval and Tropicana. This is the ultimate goal which remains to be seen. Not only will it be "on-campus" but will be smack dab in the heart of Las Vegas with the Strip lights providing the most amazing backdrop of any college stadium in the nation. Students can attend games and enjoy the city every weekend.

Steps 1-3 can happen as fast as 24 to 36 months.

In terms of winning on the field, I compare UNLV's situation much to what Utah State was facing after Brent Guy was fired for having Bobby Hauck-type results. USU fans were apathetic, and their football was awful.

In comes Coach Gary Anderson in 2009.

2009 record 4-8 (WAC)
2010 record 4-8 (WAC)
2011 record 7-6 (WAC)
2012 record 11-2 (WAC) Ranked #16 in AP poll

I think UNLV has much more growth potential than USU. Things are in motion but it will take a little time. Fans will trickle in as wins come more frequently. We have to have patience because this is the beginning. The average fan hasn't caught the vision yet. Coach Sanchez is the first domino and the wins will go up and we'll see buzz developing as time goes on.

Last edited:
In terms of talent, I like that Sanchez has been aggressive in recruiting. He won't win them all. He won't win even close to them all, but I like the effort. I think that a few homegrown stars and a rising number of wins should help reverse the trend of the local stigma of playing for unlv. I m hoping he can snag a few more local boys. I hope something like what happened at liberty HS can happen for unlv. Every player on liberty's team usually has the whole family out to support them. Also, one more player Sanchez needs is Tau's younger brother. The bloodline speaks for itself.

Old Alum here('89) living in SoCal I'd like to see things change quicker but as I take a moment and pull back and see how far UNLV has come and where it's headed with Coach I remain optimistic.
I can only compare my experience with friends of my age from USC, UCLA, Chapman, etc. Hoops everyone respects us football we got a lot of work ahead of us. I'm a Rebel until I die

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT