ADVERTISEMENT

Defense

dcut03

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/oct/10/unlv-defense-trying-to-get-aggressive-with-blitz-s/

So apparently we blitzed more last game. It was not obvious with the broadcast I saw.

In general, I like it. I have been hoping that we could be more aggressive on defense, and blitzing more is definitely a part of that.

The negative side was the coverage on the back end. It seemed like we were extremely soft as usual and there were tons of open field for quick outs and slants. Which is why we couldn't get off the field on third down.

If you are going to bring the blitz, then you have to also do some press coverage/ bump and run. The blitz becomes completely ineffective if you predictably will have wide open lanes to bail out the QB.

It seems like Baer has zero confidence in our secondary with true one on one situations. True you are less likely to be beat by the long play, but it basically guarantees the other team a trip to the red zone unless THEY make a mistake.

The time that the defense is put in the one on one situations so far this year, it seems like we have fared well. I don't know, it's frustrating.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT