ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel has just began.

Will be interesting to see how he does without his pick of Utah's best to accent his roster... those kids aren't going to abandon BYU dreams for Kentucky even if it's Kentucky

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Will be interesting to see how he does without his pick of Utah's best to accent his roster... those kids aren't going to abandon BYU dreams for Kentucky even if it's Kentucky
He didn’t have the pick of Utah’s best at BYU. Look at the roster again. Mark Pope is not an awful choice after their first 5 picks turned them down. A good Xs and Os guy and recruited pretty well to BYU.

With Kentucky money he’ll be ok, but it won’t be good enough for Kentucky fans. Pope is who I REALLT wanted when Otz was hired. I’ll tell you right now, we’d be in a much better position today had he gone that route.

He didn’t have the pick of Utah’s best at BYU. Look at the roster again. Mark Pope is not an awful choice after their first 5 picks turned them down. A good Xs and Os guy and recruited pretty well to BYU.

With Kentucky money he’ll be ok, but it won’t be good enough for Kentucky fans. Pope is who I REALLT wanted when Otz was hired. I’ll tell you right now, we’d be in a much better position today had he gone that route.
A solid hire for Kentucky. I agree. Pope accomplished more with greater constraints than others with more flexibility and resources. Both Utah and UNLV would have been better with him as coach. Will he be able to satisfy Kentucky boosters? Would anyone that would take that job be able to satisfy their boosters?

He had 10 players on his roster from Utah (SLC valley mostly) and S. Idaho... he also had a top 30 recruit who is on a mission from Utah... those kids all dreamed of playing basketball at BYU since they were kids. I'm not saying he's not a solid Xs and Os guy or wouldn't have been a solid hire here at any point, but BYU recruiting is a little slanted and always Utah heavy...

He had 10 players on his roster from Utah (SLC valley mostly) and S. Idaho... he also had a top 30 recruit who is on a mission from Utah... those kids all dreamed of playing basketball at BYU since they were kids. I'm not saying he's not a solid Xs and Os guy or wouldn't have been a solid hire here at any point, but BYU recruiting is a little slanted and always Utah heavy...
Dallin Hall the most “BYU fan since I was 4” kid on the roster is transferring.

Pope was able to get a lot players from around the country/world. His ability to add non-BYU type players through the portal is why they’ve been able to win so many games.

Waterman, Robinson, Khalifa, Marcus Adams, and Trarore are all players not tied to anything Utah.

The point was, Utah is who has been getting top Utah talent which is why Pope looked elsewhere.

Again, I loved Pope 5 years ago and is a helluva coach.

Kentucky fans dont appear too happy with this hire, which is usually the case when its your 5th choice even if he's one of their own. SC fans were pissed with the Pete Carrol hire wehn he was their 5th or 6th choice.

I assume he wil have a very short leash. A lot of money there to make him go away in 2 years if they dont like the results and then bring in someone that at that time won't be Cal's successor.

I think he is a good coach, I think its a horrible fit. We will see how it plays out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT