ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel has just began.

Pat Kelsey is a name to watch. I consider him at least a triple.

He was a hire based upon recruiting ability alone, not program managing. So much more to being a head coach than recruiting, so much more than X’s and O’s, though I do think recruiting/roster construction is the most important aspect because it allows more wiggle room if you are weaker in some of the other aspects. But it didn’t work for Payne.

I admit I was shocked it didn’t work out as a hire. Sure he was a known recruiter but his staff had some decent coaches in Manning and Smith. Shocked by how bad it was not just that he didn’t get great results.

Kelsey is interesting but I don’t think it would make sense for UNLV. He is an east coast guy. I could see him waiting out this year and hoping Miller has another poor year so he can get back to Xavier.

Reactions: rebelwithacause
Wow at this Payne quote:
"For me, I go back to day one," he said. "When I walked into the program as the new head coach, I talked about, I needed everybody on the same page. We sort of forgot that. I talked about how I'm not going to let you blame me. I'm not standing up here by myself. I need all of Louisville with me. We sort of forgot that. I talked about, it's going to take time, and I'm going to watch and see who jumped on and off the Titanic. We sort of forgot that. I gave a specific time. I said three or four years. And I'm good with that. That's what I believed at that time, and that's what I still believe it takes to fix this program."

Was hoping it would work for KP. I was a huge Louisville fan growing up and Payne was one of my favorite players for them. I think they'll be fine. They are the only show in a big city.

Was hoping it would work for KP. I was a huge Louisville fan growing up and Payne was one of my favorite players for them. I think they'll be fine. They are the only show in a big city.
Then you remember Cliff Rozier - He has passed but I am friends with his mother - she is client of mine (i am a trainer and she has bad knees) - best basketball conversations you could ever have is with that 70 year old lady - Total fan of the Rebels and that era of Jerry Tarkanian - John Thompson - Bobby Knight - I have heard some cool stories about Denny Crum too. Then when Clifford got drafted - the fun stories when they went to San Fran then Toronto _ neat lady - Tough as nails - and full of wisdom and experience. I always like those Louisville teams too. Good times !!!

Then you remember Cliff Rozier - He has passed but I am friends with his mother - she is client of mine (i am a trainer and she has bad knees) - best basketball conversations you could ever have is with that 70 year old lady - Total fan of the Rebels and that era of Jerry Tarkanian - John Thompson - Bobby Knight - I have heard some cool stories about Denny Crum too. Then when Clifford got drafted - the fun stories when they went to San Fran then Toronto _ neat lady - Tough as nails - and full of wisdom and experience. I always like those Louisville teams too. Good times !!!
Great stories!!

Haha, yeah Inn Zone and I knew Cliff...

Great stories!!

Haha, yeah Inn Zone and I knew Cliff...
LMAO. Yeah that was hilarious with the dreadlock dude stuffing slim jims down his pants at the 7-11. The homeless guy we picked up got a little hairy. Then there was the Cornelius Holden thing. My mind was blown.

Also a shame about Denny Crum, he passed not too long ago and nobody said anything. Wooden's assistant. One of the greatest coaches of all time. Cool Hand Luke. Doctors of Dunk set it off. Then the 1983 semi w. Houston Phi Slamma Jamma absolutely changed the game, one of the most important games in CBB history.

Oh Boy! So Dan Monson was told Monday by Long Beach State that they would be going in another direction for the HC position. Long Beach State is now playing in the Big West Tournament Championship game tonight vs UC Davis. Dan is still the head coach and with a win tonight they will be going to the NCAA Tourney. Not bad for a coach that just got fired. I'll have to watch this game.

Oh Boy! So Dan Monson was told Monday by Long Beach State that they would be going in another direction for the HC position. Long Beach State is now playing in the Big West Tournament Championship game tonight vs UC Davis. Dan is still the head coach and with a win tonight they will be going to the NCAA Tourney. Not bad for a coach that just got fired. I'll have to watch this game.
Kind of like the Boise St players playing hard for the interim coach who is now their HC.. doesn't erase the poor tenure but puts the University in an awkward position

Makes it worth watching.

Kyle Smith (WSU) going to Stanford. That's two coaches from WSU leaving after the Pac-12 breakup that I know of. The first was their good Volleyball coach.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
He does not like Reno at all. He enjoys it even less than he did Albuquerque. Really hates the place.
Gotta suck to be a Reno Fan.

They decide to go "all in" with basketball. Given Alford a big contract, getting a new arena etc. Skimp on football because of it.

Just to see your prized coach openly shop other jobs.

What happens if he doesn't get that job? It's one thing to have interest, but you don't want that to get out. Unless he wants out that bad.

This makes me smile, btw. Eff them!

I wouldn't say they went "all in"... the arena deal sounds more like a scheme to get tax payers to help fund a private development and by including Reno they could convince taxpayers and legislatures that it was a good thing. I doubt their use agreement will be beneficial in any way to them and thats if it ever gets off the ground in the first place. But FUNR...

As for USU, they make good hires, what can you say. Watch them make another solid hire with someone from one of these smaller schools that are rumored to be wanting to move around this year. Wouldnt surprise me one bit.

Reactions: reagan21
Kyle Smith (WSU) going to Stanford. That's two coaches from WSU leaving after the Pac-12 breakup that I know of. The first was their good Volleyball coach.

Jonathan Smith left Oregon St to MSU too, add that to players have left or will leave and those two schools dropping to MWC level real quick. Really sucks for those two, but I think within a couple of years they will be at worst in the BIG12.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Rejecting Reno for Tulsa Oklahoma is saying something. And it's not good about Reno.

I've been preaching from the mountain tops that Oregon State and Washington State are going to come down to MWC level, not MWC teams being elevated to P5 level.
Don't yell them that... it doesn't matter the $$ you have banked from PAC 12. Your exposure and competition matter and kids and coaches that can go to true P5 schools will choose those spots over slightly above MWC schools

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT