ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel has just began.

My point is the last guy they got from the east lasted two years before leaving. Sprinkle and Smith were from the western US and had ties to recruiting. A guy coaching in Ohio/WV does not have any recruiting ties or experience out here. Also if he does have success he will not want to stay out here and will be looking to move back, imo.
I mean, that's the model for like 90% of Mid-major programs... that's what making good hires is all about

I'd be interested to hear anyone that may know, but the USU hire seems a bit off considering their track record... He doesn't even have an NCAA tournament trip to his name
He's been a HC at three programs. He either maintained a Conference top 3 or went from bottom of the conference to the top.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The trickle down effect of all of this movement is recruiting.. I mean I get playing for Coach Cal had luster back in the day because you knew there was $$$ from somewhere and now they're giving him a huge budget to work with but its still Arkansas vs playing at a Blue Blood in Kentucky. Do you think he still able to get the same kids that he was convincing to play at Kentucky into the room in Arkansas.. Idk, I also think his ability to recruit kids had more to do recently with "Kentucky" than it did Coach Cal..
The rest is going to be real interesting to see where pieces move because there is going to be a fresh vacuum as coaches shift around and if players decide to follow, stay or move.

Is there money at Kentucky to pay any of these names they want to bring... I mean they were balking at the 30 million dollar payout to fire Calipari, I cant imagine these big named coaches dont have A- large buyouts and B- have the $ to offer such a large salary plus NIL money?

Is there money at Kentucky to pay any of these names they want to bring... I mean they were balking at the 30 million dollar payout to fire Calipari, I cant imagine these big named coaches dont have A- large buyouts and B- have the $ to offer such a large salary plus NIL money?
Buyouts are negotiable and Kentucky can raise the money to get an Oates (18 million) or TJO (17 million), but whoever the next coach is will have a seven figure annual salary. That’s enticing enough.

It is interesting to see the comments on TJO.

“6. TJ Otzelberger
This feels like a suitable backup plan for Kentucky, but it’s not an exciting one. Otzelberger is an excellent coach who has a couple more decades in the sport left at 46 years old. He turned Iowa State into an excellent team this year, but he doesn’t recruit at the level Kentucky desires. With a $17 million buyout, Kentucky will swing for a bigger name.”

Doesn’t recruit at certain level, sound familiar?

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Rebel702
Buyouts are negotiable and Kentucky can raise the money to get an Oates (18 million) or TJO (17 million), but whoever the next coach is will have a seven figure annual salary. That’s enticing enough.

“6. TJ Otzelberger
This feels like a suitable backup plan for Kentucky, but it’s not an exciting one. Otzelberger is an excellent coach who has a couple more decades in the sport left at 46 years old. He turned Iowa State into an excellent team this year, but he doesn’t recruit at the level Kentucky desires. With a $17 million buyout, Kentucky will swing for a bigger name.”

I think Kentucky model is going to give them some trouble.
The model of accumulating as much talent as possible ( it used to be one and done freshman, now it will be single season transfers primarily) will likely not work as well as it used to.
Look at UConn, UH, even Purdue Not a ton of 5 start talent or even transfers there. There are some, but it is not like it is 8-10 players every year.
In a way we are the Kentucky of the MW. We can recruit better than most teams, but we have a new team every year. Other teams around us have generally more stability and build more year over year, with "lesser" recruits.
Cal is probably one of the best, if not the best at getting a bunch of brand new players to play at a high level. But that can only get you so far, especially these days.
I think Kentucky's recruiting expectations will ultimately hurt them, at least in this current state of college basketball.

“6. TJ Otzelberger

I mean, he took an ISU program that was bad for a couple years and made what 2 sweet 16s? How much more recruiting does he need to do to make a "Kentucky" level... you know, losing in the first round 2 out of the past 3 years.

Reactions: dcut03
What all this shows me is how foolish we are in thinking we could keep a top tier coach who wins big. Nobody can turn down that kind of $$ unless he's really old and can't stomach the thought of building another program. Not only would you need to pay him three times the going rate in the MWC you'd have to show a consistent stream of $ 7 mil+ NIL.

Last edited:
I mean, he took an ISU program that was bad for a couple years and made what 2 sweet 16s? How much more recruiting does he need to do to make a "Kentucky" level... you know, losing in the first round 2 out of the past 3 years.
If you hire a coach because they are more successful somewhere else, then let the man cook.
Build with the players he knows that will be successful at that level and go with it.
That being said, I can see Otz turning down UK, but still trying to get an extension out of the courtship. Not sure if he has already gotten a raise since being in Ames.

Using Arkansas as a power play for a guy making 8.5 million already and a 30 million dollar buyout is ridiculous. Kentucky should let him go.

Using Arkansas as a power play for a guy making 8.5 million already and a 30 million dollar buyout is ridiculous. Kentucky should let him go.
I would with those games he’s playing.

But he can afford to play those games given his age and career earnings (assumption on my part that he doesn’t burn through millions like toilet paper). And UK knew that was always a possibility.

Sometimes it’s tough with older guys who have won big. Some keep that edge that won championships, others go in for a soft landing.

I’d prefer guys in their 40’s and 50’s, but with the ability to actually keep them. But we won’t be able to keep successful young-ish coaches and we won’t be able to keep (many) fringe NBA guys. Doesn’t seem like there are a lot of lifers around and middle levels.

From my standpoint, if I were able to find a place I love, and they paid me what I thought I was worth and I had the resources to win and there was security …. I think I’d stay and go all out with effort, but I don’t know that I would go to the big boys to try and win really big.

Then again, I value security highly, not money or ego.

Since Calipari is the one leaving, I don't think they have to pay. It seems like a mutual break. They no longer want him and he doesn't need to stay where he's not wanted.
If Cal is leaving. You are right. If he rescinds, UK is liable.

If he already said he is leaving, would his rescinding that change the fact that he already gave notice? Doesn't he already forfeit the payoff the minute he gave his notice? From the most recent articles, it does look like he may not have as of yet given notice to Kentucky, so I guess he could still back out! https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...cky-coach-taking-over-razorbacks-is-imminent/
His notice hasn't been set in stone yet. It probably won't be until Arkansas has a signed contract, regardless of the fact that UK & Cal have made this decision together and both need a smooth breakup. The only thing that will prevent Cal from going to Arkansas is if another school has something better to offer. Still a slight possibility.

it is a weird position. I would think Cal would have to be fired to need a buyout.
If it is indeed mutual, then I wouldn't think the buyout would not apply. Unless Cal does not want a paycut to go to Arkansas. If that is the case, and UK wants him gone, then I can see a negotiation on some level to make up the difference.
But paying the full buyout is absurd.

None of this makes any sense... There is no buyout if Calipari wants to leave per his contract. They didnt fire him so they dont owe him any money. So its the terms of his contract with Arkansas that are holding things up at this point unless Im missing something.

Where are you all getting a copy if Calipari's contract? I've searched for it and I can't find it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT