ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Kevin Kruger

I don't think I can invest much energy into this hire. I hope it works out, but I can't see myself watching many games next season.

The upside is hopefully he can keep blake, tillis and some of the other guys so we don't have a complete roster turnover and bring in a few decent transfers and we got a shot to be competitive in the conference year 1. Plus he actually has some ties and history here, so maybe we can build something instead of treading water waited for his "dream job." Who knows, but maybe hes Rice plus the ability to coach.

I am going to support him whole heartedly. Kevin comes with massive question marks - essentially anything that has to do with the job.

That said, Kevin does have attributes that the big splashy name doesn't, and would never, have.

He very well could be the next Lon, or Jerry, in the making.

There is no way to say this is a god or bad hire, it is a swing for the fences hire. I don’t think it is too lazy, there was plenty of time, close to week to gauge interest from the slam dunk hires (guessing it was limited or too expensive). I like this hire over Simon. Augmon was never realistic.

interesting to see who the assistants are, I am thinking Justin Hawkins might be in some admin position (dobo/video). Maybe we can hope Jankovich is let go from SMU(some rumblings) he would be a good Molinari type vet coach.

I think he would've eventually become a good HC considering his pedigree(being a point guard, showing great leadership skills, son of a very successful coach, etc) but not sure if he can deliver at such an early stage of his career. Hope he can.

The upside is hopefully he can keep blake, tillis and some of the other guys so we don't have a complete roster turnover and bring in a few decent transfers and we got a shot to be competitive in the conference year 1. Plus he actually has some ties and history here, so maybe we can build something instead of treading water waited for his "dream job." Who knows, but maybe hes Rice plus the ability to coach.
I don’t think you make this hire to keep the team together. You make this hire for three years from now, it might help some next year but really this hire was not about keeping a core together for a run next year.

I think we have a coach that if he finds success he will not leave and abandon this City. He knows how much Las Vegas loves the Rebels and really believes he wants to bring that back. He knows the potentials this city has to offer. If he wins he gets paid.

I support him wholeheartedly. But I won't be spending my $$ on season tickets. I'll go the single game route and see how things go.

Reactions: mrodius
There is no way to say this is a god or bad hire, it is a swing for the fences hire. I don’t think it is too lazy, there was plenty of time, close to week to gauge interest from the slam dunk hires (guessing it was limited or too expensive). I like this hire over Simon. Augmon was never realistic.

interesting to see who the assistants are, I am thinking Justin Hawkins might be in some admin position (dobo/video). Maybe we can hope Jankovich is let go from SMU(some rumblings) he would be a good Molinari type vet coach.

you just hired a 2 year assistant who has the shallowest resume of any coach in the league.

this is underwhelming and screams of a budget restricted hire.

i live here and have followed the team the last 18 years and this is disappointing.
i dont think jason kidd was the guy but there were some lon kruger types available.

i do hope he surprises me. las vegas is better when unlv is good.

I think we have a coach that if he finds success he will not leave and abandon this City. He knows how much Las Vegas loves the Rebels and really believes he wants to bring that back. He knows the potentials this city has to offer. If he wins he gets paid.
You could have said exactly the same about CDR and that didn't work. In retrospect not as bad as originally thought, but still didn't work.

I don’t think you make this hire to keep the team together. You make this hire for three years from now, it might help some next year but really this hire was not about keeping a core together for a run next year.

Im not saying that was the purpose of the hire. I'm saying is a byproduct so we don't have a Menzies year one roster.

i live here and have followed the team the last 18 years and this is disappointing.
i dont think jason kidd was the guy but there were some lon kruger types available.
What coach with a final four, an elite eight and a recent first place finish in a power 5 league on his resume was interested?

I don’t think there were any Lon Kruger types looking at this job.

thad matta
wojo
seth greenberg
John Beilein

it's Iike the school didnt even try

you just hired a 2 year assistant who has the shallowest resume of any coach in the league.

this is underwhelming and screams of a budget restricted hire.

i do hope he surprises me. las vegas is better when unlv is good.
He's been an Assistant for 6 years. Two with UNLV, 3 with dad in Oklahoma, and another, I believe, with Northern Arizona.

At least it's someone with ties to UNLV and really goes back to our last truly successful season.

Reactions: Trax0r
What coach with a final four, an elite eight and a recent first place finish in a power 5 league on his resume was interested?

I don’t think there were any Lon Kruger types looking at this job.
We'll never know.

He's been an Assistant for 6 years. Two with UNLV, 3 with dad in Oklahoma, and another, I believe, with Northern Arizona.

At least it's someone with ties to UNLV and really goes back to our last truly successful season.

i get he is your guy now and defend him.

but cmon. this is UNLV. this hire is beneath this program

Wonder if we could get Jack Murphy from Arizona ( based on the issues there), he gave Kevin his first assistant job and is a Vegas native.

Reactions: LocoRebel

Hawkins is video at pacific still isn't he? Id love for him to come back. Anybody know what Wink is doing?

Actually, big question is if Buckley isn't retained, who is the guy coming to staff as the elder experienced guy?

We should be able to pay enough to get some solid assistants. I mean no way we’re paying Coach Kevin Kruger big money right? What was he making before this 165k or so.

Reactions: mrodius
Wow. I love Kevin as a person and an assistant. I don't think you hire him over Augmon, Kidd and whomever else.

AD definitely mailed it in with this one.
Man this is tuff for me, I love Kevin and I think he could end up being a good coach but I didn't expect for it to get announced so soon if it was him or Augmon! It just seems to me that the AD just threw in the towel and said what the hell, I don't want to deal with this search anymore! Him or Augmon were always going to be there if you couldn't get some bigger names. You me to tell me that there was no other good candidates that were one qualified for the job.

Hawkins is video at pacific still isn't he? Id love for him to come back. Anybody know what Wink is doing?

Actually, big question is if Buckley isn't retained, who is the guy coming to staff as the elder experienced guy?
Why don’t we get Joel Anthony to come in and mentor Jhaylon Martinez. Also, get Corey Bailey in here to show the guys to work on their AC. Or maybe Wendell White to coach them up on the mid range game, which is so important these days.

But, if he does start to do good and maybe Lon comes back to LV and becomes the new AD maybe we have something! I think Lon would be an awesome athletic director
If KK does good, Lon retires, moves back to Las Vegas and KK gets the Oklahoma head coaching job.

The writing was on the wall when he was hired as an assistant, I just think things happened more quickly than expected. I mean, that’s what I thought when he was hired, but that’s not to say that I’m not shocked today.

I like the hire because I like Kevin and because they didn’t hire some abysmal asshole like Rick pitino. I don’t know the background with unlv and augmon currently so I’m not gonna go off the handle over that, although he would’ve been my choice.

Kevin’s a leader, he’s intelligent and he’s spent his entire life in basketball and learning from a future hall of fame coach. And I have total confidence in his taking over the team. Even if this wasn’t unlv we were talking about, I’d say the same things. He deserves this shot.

but I didn't expect for it to get announced so soon if it was him or Augmon! It just seems to me that the AD just threw in the towel and said what the hell, I don't want to deal with this search anymore!
just what you love to hear about your AD.

If KK does good, Lon retires, moves back to Las Vegas and KK gets the Oklahoma head coaching job.
I don't know. Vegas kinda seems like home for them. Could be right though, who knows. Let's hope he gets that good a choice has to be made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT