ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Preseason Ratings/Projections

lvrebalum2012

Retired Number
Aug 15, 2008
As we start getting closer to a new season, preseason ratings and projections will start to come out (Phil Steele, Athlon, etc).

One that I started following last year is Kelley Ford. They’ve already come out with their preseason ratings for us and the MWC:

They have us rated as the #84 team overall with highest probability to finish the season with 6 wins and finishing 5th in conference.

I’d say our schedule heavily factors into these win totals. If you look at the other MWC teams and their schedules, you can see how many of them have easier paths to the CCG (look at Fresno’s conference schedule).

We can't control our conference foes...

But...

I do like our OOC. I think that Oregon State will be a little worse than mid 40's while Houston will be a little better than mid 70's. Syracuse is about right.

I'm seeing 9 wins before a bowl game.

Our losses, in my opinion:
Kansas
Either, but not both, Syracuse or Fresno. Most likely Fresno.
Boise

Maybe we lose to Oregon State and only get to 8 wins. Either way, this is still a very solid schedule. No wonder we have more TV games. We actually deserve them this season.

We can't control our conference foes...

But...

I do like our OOC. I think that Oregon State will be a little worse than mid 40's while Houston will be a little better than mid 70's. Syracuse is about right.

I'm seeing 9 wins before a bowl game.

Our losses, in my opinion:
Kansas
Either, but not both, Syracuse or Fresno. Most likely Fresno.
Boise

Maybe we lose to Oregon State and only get to 8 wins. Either way, this is still a very solid schedule. No wonder we have more TV games. We actually deserve them this season.
I would love to see us get past our Boise thing but hard to argue with this assessment!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I would love to see us get past our Boise thing but hard to argue with this assessment!
It's not hard. Teams like Boise, Oregon State, Wyoming, SJSU, Syracuse loses a lot this off season including most importantly their coaches. Stats are calculated from the past.

It's not hard. Teams like Boise, Oregon State, Wyoming, SJSU, Syracuse loses a lot this off season including most importantly their coaches. Stats are calculated from the past.
Say what you want about stats but we have not beat them and until we do they are the team we can’t beat and I would like to see Coach Odom change that!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Exactly.. I think theyre getting the benefit of the doubt, but they were mediocre enough last year to fire their coach mid-year and benefitted from an easier schedule down the stretch, much like our easier middle schedule. I think the expectation is Nelson is just so much more talented than any other QB in the league and he will turn Boise into a powerhouse, but he couldnt even win the job in the Spring. I get that most in Boise dont believe Madsen will start in the fall, but again, I think that there was a certain "chip on shoulder approach" to win for the Interim coach and the team came together around him. Good for him, he got the full time job, but Im still not sold that hes an upgrade over Avalos.. Again, they're like SDSU in basketball, they get the benefit of the doubt with regards to preseason polls and predictions because the media folks dont want to be laughed at for saying UNLV will win conference...

Reactions: dcut03
Exactly.. I think theyre getting the benefit of the doubt, but they were mediocre enough last year to fire their coach mid-year and benefitted from an easier schedule down the stretch, much like our easier middle schedule. I think the expectation is Nelson is just so much more talented than any other QB in the league and he will turn Boise into a powerhouse, but he couldnt even win the job in the Spring. I get that most in Boise dont believe Madsen will start in the fall, but again, I think that there was a certain "chip on shoulder approach" to win for the Interim coach and the team came together around him. Good for him, he got the full time job, but Im still not sold that hes an upgrade over Avalos.. Again, they're like SDSU in basketball, they get the benefit of the doubt with regards to preseason polls and predictions because the media folks dont want to be laughed at for saying UNLV will win conference...
Yeah, I think Boise is getting a little too much credit.

Their QB left to not compete with Maiava for the back up role. Highly touted out of HS but has not shown much.
Their HC has a weaker resume than Coach Marion, who more than half of our fan base think he isn't a great candidate for us if Odom moves on.
They Have Jeanty, and the majority of their O Line. They will be good simply because of that.
But they haven't been out recruiting everyone in the league like they used to ( We are now), and they have been inconsistent over the past few years.
Avalos wasn't very good, but the best years and experience for Danielson (their current coach) is being the DC under Avalos- who likely controlled the defense. We haven't even seen his defense at the FBS level. Other than maybe the last few games of last season, but I doubt they changed that much.
I would probably say that Boise would be an easier win that Oregon State, though we could easily lose both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT