ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Grill kicked off of ISU team

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
As title states, former Runnin Rebel Caleb Grill got kicked off of the team today. I wonder what happened...It had to be pretty bad for a big contributor like him to get the boot.

He hasn't played in the last few games due to a supposed injury.

He hasn't played in the last few games due to a supposed injury.
Looks like the only game he missed was the Kansas game, has played since then. So maybe there was a legitimate injury of some sort

As title states, former Runnin Rebel Caleb Grill got kicked off of the team today. I wonder what happened...It had to be pretty bad for a big contributor like him to get the boot.
That’d be surprising - follows the coach who recruited him to UNLV and then back to where he once was, you’d think there’s an extra tight relationship there. Still, stuff can happen I suppose.

The kid was a grade A jerk though. Few less likable kids have come through these doors.

That’d be surprising - follows the coach who recruited him to UNLV and then back to where he once was, you’d think there’s an extra tight relationship there. Still, stuff can happen I suppose.

The kid was a grade A jerk though. Few less likable kids have come through these doors.
I think Kendall smith might be my most hated rebel ever, followed closely by I can’t make a layup Hawkins.

• Wow
Reactions: RebelScrub
I think Kendall smith might be my most hated rebel ever, followed closely by I can’t make a layup Hawkins.
Yeah, Kendall was a POS.

Justin is a great kid.

I see where Grill noted mental health which isn’t a joking matter. It’s afflicting so many and we’ve made it much worse. Still don’t like the way he carried himself when he was here and even worse when he departed.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
According to him he said something that he regrets. I feel like on a team there are a lot of things you can say in the heat of a practice or in a locker room both to coaches or teammates that won’t get you run from the team. It happens every day. Without speculating too much there are a few things I can think of that if said probably do get you bounced immediately.

Reactions: InZoneU
Also Emanuel Adefie (sp). He took his shoes off on the bench and played in what 1 game before getting booted? He was the only center besides Darger and “Chop” Jones haha. Man.

Reactions: Trax0r
According to him he said something that he regrets. I feel like on a team there are a lot of things you can say in the heat of a practice or in a locker room both to coaches or teammates that won’t get you run from the team. It happens every day. Without speculating too much there are a few things I can think of that if said probably do get you bounced immediately.

Yeah, I’m assuming possibly some racially charged. Obviously i don’t know anything, but he apologized to his teamates for what he said also so that’s kinda how I came to that assumption.

I was just told that Coach Otz was discussing Grill's on court behavior with him and how his lack of composure might cost them games in March. Grill then told him to "**** off!" and Otz immediately told him he was off the team.

I was just told that Coach Otz was discussing Grill's on court behavior with him and how his lack of composure might cost them games in March. Grill then told him to "**** off!" and Otz immediately told him he was off the team.
Well, that’s a coaches decision. Might have had leniency if it were heat of moment or some other situation. But apparently this was enough.

When he was here, he wasn’t a likable kid. This was even before he bashed the fanbase on his way out of the door.

Reactions: Trax0r
Has to be worse than that...listening to Otz' presser about it he seemed very emotional and very fond of Caleb...he was clearly hurt by it, but I don't think that's the Rubicon he crossed to force someone like Otz to cut him.

Has to be worse than that...listening to Otz' presser about it he seemed very emotional and very fond of Caleb...he was clearly hurt by it, but I don't think that's the Rubicon he crossed to force someone like Otz to cut him.
It would for me but I'm a hard man when comes to flat-out disrespect. And my respect meter for OTZ just went up a few notches.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelScrub

Kicking a kid off a team that followed you to 3 different programs. It was obviously very personal whatever happened. One can speculate as basketball/team things usually don't get you kicked off the team. If his on court behaviour was the issue, just bench him.

Reactions: TheMatrix31
Kicking a kid off a team that followed you to 3 different programs. It was obviously very personal whatever happened. One can speculate as basketball/team things usually don't get you kicked off the team. If his on court behaviour was the issue, just bench him.
He probably boned Otz' wife.

I gotta believe there is something else said. Pure speculation here, but gotta think maybe some racial stuff got thrown out there towards a teammate. Again only speculation, but that late in the season and in the heat of the moment he dropped the “f-you” and he’s gone? I just have a hard time believe that’s the straw that broke the camels back. I can almost guarantee these scenarios happen a lot between player and coaches across the nation. However, they seemed to play better after he got booted.

I gotta believe there is something else said. Pure speculation here, but gotta think maybe some racial stuff got thrown out there towards a teammate. Again only speculation, but that late in the season and in the heat of the moment he dropped the “f-you” and he’s gone? I just have a hard time believe that’s the straw that broke the camels back. I can almost guarantee these scenarios happen a lot between player and coaches across the nation. However, they seemed to play better after he got booted.
It probably did run deeper than something simple. To me it’s a team issue, a closed door issue, if the parties aren’t saying what it was, that’s up to them.

I never liked the kid a bit, just rubbed me the wrong way. I’m not talking about his game or talent, but the way he carried himself. Reminded me of a lot of people in my HS.

But if the kid is beaten down with mental issues, I hope he gets them worked out. A lot of people are suffering from that.

Reactions: TheMatrix31
It probably did run deeper than something simple. To me it’s a team issue, a closed door issue, if the parties aren’t saying what it was, that’s up to them.

I never liked the kid a bit, just rubbed me the wrong way. I’m not talking about his game or talent, but the way he carried himself. Reminded me of a lot of people in my HS.

But if the kid is beaten down with mental issues, I hope he gets them worked out. A lot of people are suffering from that.
Agreed, and they’ve seemed to have been fairly tight lipped about it. Which is the way it should be

If you choose to hate players because they miss layups - lol... In person Jhawk was cool as shit -

Katin Rienhardt rubbed me the wrong way -

sometimes Marcus Banks was my most hated player because of his stubbornness.

H. Waldman was a total douche bag in person (but that was personal) I remember actually saying this to him once "bro - you've changed" ... Once he got on Campus at UNLV and was on TV all the time he got a BIG HEAD - I knew him personally in HS and used to hoop with him all the time. He did change- but can you blame him ? he was on the #1 team in the country and the players owned Las Vegas at the time.

JR Rider was known to be a jerk sometimes.

Anderson Hunt used to harass me and pick on me at the North Gym in pickups but at the Shark club he was cool as shit when he was stoned and drunk and bought me a bud light one time.

ON the other hand- you don't want to see Melvin Love drunk -

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT